PDA

View Full Version : v3.5 spelljammer?

Sindri
2010-12-13, 04:34 PM
Has it ever been fully converted? I found a couple of partial works that seem to have been abandoned ("Beyond the Moons" at http://www.spelljammer.org/, for example, hasn't been updated since May '07 and is missing such details as "air and gravity" "the spelljammer universe" and "magic items"), but I can't find any usable rules for it. I know that a few bits and pieces are present in the WotC books (clockwork horrors, tinker gnomes, and neogi for example), and there are several references in Lords of Madness, but they aren't nearly enough to run a game on. Has someone done a full (or at least workable) conversion, or do we need to houserule as we go?

EccentricCircle
2010-12-13, 05:17 PM
Hello

as far as I know there is only one "official" conversion to 3.5, in an issue of polyhedron magazine. i'm currently reading it having borrowed it from a friend and it seems pretty good and to cover most of the basics. it is called; "Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon" and was published on 16th of may 2002 in polyhedron Magazine, (which actually puts it in the 3.0 era, though its all compatable with 3.5).
how easy it would be to get hold of a copy I don't know.

Of course spelljammer is as much a concept as a game setting or rules set. D&D has plenty of information on regular ships and once you know the basics of how the spelljamming helms work its fairly easy to run a game without too much trouble.
we played an awesome spelljammer/Planescape game a couple of years back, the great wheel had ceased to turn and the portals were closing all across the planes, so our characters had to find a spelljamming ship and set sail for the planet where the first portal from the prime-material was opened to sigil, in order to get there and stop the eldritch abomination that had been released from the Far Realm from destroying reality itself. we rotated DM's with each of us designing a planet or two, and had PC's from several established campaign settings and our homebrew world.

that was all run with no official spelljammer stuff. we used the manual of the planes as a guide for designing other planets and the naval combat rules from Stormwrack for the ship to ship stuff. so I can confirm that its all eminently doable.

since reading the official 3.5 stuff i'm keen to do another game. I guess i'll just have to add that to the really long list of campaign ideas...

EC

Sindri
2010-12-13, 08:03 PM
Thanks. I'll look for that issue (#151 according to google...) and in the meanwhile dig out my old 2e books and the HackMaster adaptation for reference material while homebrewing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-12-13, 10:42 PM
I just homebrewed the crap up myself.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-13, 11:20 PM
The best thing about Spelljammer was its craziness; so convert it however you want!