PDA

View Full Version : Half Fey

Master Thrower
2010-12-13, 07:48 PM
Im looking to make a sorcerer/other charasim based class.
Is their a half fey template out their? If so what is the LA and what abilities does it boost?

OMG PONIES
2010-12-13, 07:50 PM
Im looking to make a sorcerer/other charasim based class.
Is their a half fey template out their? If so what is the LA and what abilities does it boost?

There is. Fiend Folio, I believe. +2 LA gets flight, some decent SLAs, and decent stat boosts to DEX and CHA.

Halae
2010-12-13, 07:54 PM
ironically, It is called Half-Fey, and it's in the Fiend Folio. essentially, you look normal, but more brightly collored, chipper, maybe have flowers or leaves for hair, and you have fairy wings. The Charm Person at will ability is very nice, and for only +2 LA you get wings, a crapton of spell-like abilities (that develop as you rise in level, like with the half-celestial and half-fiend templates) and mostly positive bonuses to stats, with the exception of constitution, which takes a dive so that the other stats may live. Very Flavorful and, while not exactly OP, it isn't a weak contender with only +2 LA

Master Thrower
2010-12-13, 08:00 PM
Ok sounds exactly what im looking for. I dont have the fiend folio so any idea on the SLA and the ablity changes? and is the template worth it if im a
Sorcerer 5 MAO 4
And would then be a Sorcerer 5 MAO 2

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-13, 08:05 PM
There's always Feytouched (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) too, if you want a less heavy alternative. You can get by without taking the level.

While we're at it there's a progression in there for Half-Fey.

Master Thrower
2010-12-13, 08:09 PM
There's always Feytouched (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) too, if you want a less heavy alternative. You can get by without taking the level.

While we're at it there's a progression in there for Half-Fey.

Thanks. Looking at both im not sure if i should take either. They both look good. but im not sure as LA is painful for spell levels

The-Mage-King
2010-12-13, 08:15 PM
Try Magic Blooded (Dra 31...6, I believe) and Fire Souled (Dra... 314). With those two templates (total LA +1) you get +6 Cha, Leadership, some minor SLAs, and some other stuff.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-13, 08:24 PM
Thanks. Looking at both im not sure if i should take either. They both look good. but im not sure as LA is painful for spell levels

As I said, you don't need to take the actual levels. You could a be an LA +0 Feytouched, getting all the features before the "Feytouched Racial Class Features" line.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-13, 08:24 PM
Your best bet if you don't want a high LA cost is to go with the Unseelie Fey template from the Dragon Compendium. It's a +0 LA that gives you a choice between 4 special abilities. One of them is called Winter Something and make everyone within 5ft of you take a penalty to all of their saves equal to your charisma modifier. This is an amazing ability for a Sorcerer who is willing to get in close to take out enemies.

Master Thrower
2010-12-13, 08:31 PM
As I said, you don't need to take the actual levels. You could a be an LA +0 Feytouched, getting all the features before the "Feytouched Racial Class Features" line.

really? so I could take be fey touched and get which bonuses? (Sorry I've very bad with templates)

The-Mage-King
2010-12-13, 08:39 PM
really? so I could take be fey touched and get which bonuses? (Sorry I've very bad with templates)

You'd get everything between the "Feytouched Base Racial Features" line and table SP-22.

Darrin
2010-12-13, 10:38 PM
Try Magic Blooded (Dra 31...6, I believe) and Fire Souled (Dra... 314). With those two templates (total LA +1) you get +6 Cha, Leadership, some minor SLAs, and some other stuff.

Magic-Blooded is indeed pure awesomesauce (Dragon #306, check Crystalkeep's 3.0 templates for details), but Fire-Souled is actually a +3 template. The +1 is a typo in Crystalkeep's 3.5 template pdf.

The-Mage-King
2010-12-14, 11:41 AM
Magic-Blooded is indeed pure awesomesauce (Dragon #306, check Crystalkeep's 3.0 templates for details), but Fire-Souled is actually a +3 template. The +1 is a typo in Crystalkeep's 3.5 template pdf.

Well, that changes my recommendation for it...

Coidzor
2010-12-14, 11:59 AM

These ones are from the LA+0 version of the race.
The Feytouched

Feytouched are good choices for players who like exotic characters with a touch of mischief and mystery. This racial class offers a set of base racial abilities plus one racial level.

Feytouched Base Racial Features

All of the following are base racial abilities for the feytouched.

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.

Fey Type: Feytouched are fey. Thus, they are vulnerable to spells and effects that work on creatures of the fey type but immune to effects that target other types. For example, a feytouched would be subject to the extra damage from a fey bane sword but immune to hold person, since that spell affects only humanoids.

Size: Feytouched are Medium size.

Speed: Feytouched base land speed is 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): A feytouched can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Saving Throw Bonuses: A feytouched has a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects.

Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.

Favored Class: Bard or rogue. A multiclass feytouched's bard and rogue classes do not count when determining whether an experience point penalty applies.

Re'ozul
2010-12-14, 01:26 PM
Didn't half-fey also get DR5/cold iron?

ericgrau
2010-12-14, 01:41 PM
At 2 LA and +4 cha your save DCs will be 1 point higher than a caster without LA even though your spells are actually 1 level lower. The flight and essentially extra enchantment spells at levels 1-19 are great too if you don't mind enchantment (read: I hope your DM doesn't like undead and constructs). Ya at will charm person is nuts, especially since SLAs are always silent/stilled so no one will notice you casting it. You lose a painful amount of HP but you get DR 5. Overall I think it's a good trade-off. If you want to play something new and different I'd go for it.

Talya
2010-12-14, 06:15 PM
Without fiend folio, you're still in luck, thanks to Sean Reynolds "Savage Progressions" rules. While this describes how to take a level adjusted species or template in chunks rather than all at once, it's pretty easy to add them all back together to get the full template:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Also, any template heavy on SLAs (like half-fiend/celestial/fey) is a nobrainer to take the feat "Magic in the Blood." This feat turns all 1/day SLAs into 3/day.

And Charm Person at will, combined with flight, make this one of the few templates that is not a terrible choice. I think it's actually more useful than half celestial, which costs a +4 (although the constitution penalty hurts.)