PDA

View Full Version : How many corpses in a Corpse Gatherer?

Keinnicht
2010-12-13, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm working on my necromantic BBEG's goal - to create a Corpse Gatherer (Monster Manual II) and unleash it upon the world.

Now, the fluff says these guys are animated graveyards. They're gargantuan. How many corpses do you suppose is necessary to create something like that? 500? 1,000? 2,000?

And how many corpses do you suppose would be necessary to make an advanced, colossal one? How many more corpses for each additional HD? 10? 50?

I ask because the PCs are, of course, working to foil him. I don't think they're going to be able to outright prevent the CG from being raised, but I'm thinking that by cutting down the number of towns harvested for bodies, they can leave him stuck with a weaker corpse gatherer.

WarrenZig
2010-12-13, 08:53 PM
Well, when a gatherer dies it animates it's component corpses as zombies and a 30HD gatherer creates 30 zombies so i assume 30-61 for gargantuan and 62+ for colossal, and the rest of the body would be stone and dirt form a graveyard.

Thurbane
2010-12-13, 08:55 PM
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :smallbiggrin:

...sorry, the title made me think of that.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-12-13, 08:59 PM
Assuming that the corpse gatherer isn't composed entirely of the corpses I'd say about 32 medium corpses should be about right.

Abaddon87
2010-12-13, 09:11 PM
How many corpses do you want it to be made of? If you want to say its totally made of bodies and no dirt/tombstones/whatever... I would x2 or 3 the number of zombies it says they release uppon "death" and use that as the magic number. Another good measure would be to look at how many towns/people get fed into the Gatherer to create it?

Keinnicht
2010-12-13, 10:33 PM
How many corpses do you want it to be made of? If you want to say its totally made of bodies and no dirt/tombstones/whatever... I would x2 or 3 the number of zombies it says they release uppon "death" and use that as the magic number. Another good measure would be to look at how many towns/people get fed into the Gatherer to create it?

I'm gonna say, for the sake of not having an ungodly thing, that 10 people = 1 HD. Therefore, a 30 HD Corpse gatherer requires 300 corpses. I'm thinking that when trying to create a more powerful one, you get a diminished return of 20 people per extra HD.

Meaning the players better hope they manage to stop the BBEG before he's got thousands of bodies.

Abaddon87
2010-12-13, 10:46 PM
Sounds solid... Take it and run (and hope your players can kill it/stop it from being made :smalltongue:)