PDA

View Full Version : E6 Binder

Thurbane
2010-12-13, 08:29 PM
Hey all, quick question: is a Binder a viable character in an E6 game? I really want to run a Binder at some point, and it's looking like some of our future games are going to be E6 (which I'm excited about).

Anyhow, the Binder's real appeal and versatility is when he hits 8th level, and can mix-n-match 2 vestiges. Obviously in an E6 game, this is never going to happen. Do you think it would be advisable to homebrew a feat to grab 2 vestiges at 6th level? Or would this be against the spirit of E6 play? Should I just accept that Binder isn't a great class for E6?

Kallisti
2010-12-13, 08:32 PM
Improved Binding. It's a feat from ToM--the same book as binder, so it ought to be allowed--that lets you bind vestiges as if you were two levels higher than you are. So a 6th-level binder with the feat would have two vestiges.

Thurbane
2010-12-13, 08:36 PM
Improved Binding. It's a feat from ToM--the same book as binder, so it ought to be allowed--that lets you bind vestiges as if you were two levels higher than you are. So a 6th-level binder with the feat would have two vestiges.
No, I'm pretty sure that the feat only increases your level for elligible vestiges, not number of vestiges bound, unfortunately.

FearlessGnome
2010-12-13, 08:49 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that the feat only increases your level for elligible vestiges, not number of vestiges bound, unfortunately.

Thurbane is correct. If you get your hands on a Vestige Phylactery (Price: 15000), however, you can switch your old vestige for a new one. By the item description, I believe this also allows you to circumvent the No-Rebinding-For-24-hours rule (Though this use would take more than six seconds.).

Edit: Feat description explicitly denies increasing anything other than eligible vestige level.

gorfnab
2010-12-13, 08:56 PM
Anyhow, the Binder's real appeal and versatility is when he hits 8th level, and can mix-n-match 2 vestiges. Obviously in an E6 game, this is never going to happen. Do you think it would be advisable to homebrew a feat to grab 2 vestiges at 6th level? Or would this be against the spirit of E6 play?
Call it a Capstone feat with the prereqs of ability to bind 3rd level vestiges and maybe the Improved Binding feat. It really wouldn't be that powerful in E6 anyways.

Gan The Grey
2010-12-13, 11:26 PM
Call it a Capstone feat with the prereqs of ability to bind 3rd level vestiges and maybe the Improved Binding feat. It really wouldn't be that powerful in E6 anyways.

Seconded. I've created quite a few Capstone feats for my E6 game - at least three for each class. I made a rule that prevents characters from taking more than one Capstone feat for every five epic feats too.

Thurbane
2010-12-13, 11:56 PM
Cool, I'll see if the Dm will accept it as a capstone feat then. :smallsmile: