PDA

View Full Version : Fireball question

Old Man NPC
2010-12-13, 10:49 PM
So it came up in my group last night that the entry of the fireball spell includes the following:

The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. It can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the fireball may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

Per SRD and PHB. Now, my DM ruled that this means anyone taking damage from the fireball must also make a seperate save vs. catching on fire. Now, I didn't agree due to the fact that most spells that put a player at danger of catching on fire include something in the entry about a save vs. catching on fire. The entry DOES say anything combustable, but the definition of the word is ANYTHING that burns... What're the opinions of this august body?

Starbuck_II
2010-12-13, 10:55 PM
So it came up in my group last night that the entry of the fireball spell includes the following:

Per SRD and PHB. Now, my DM ruled that this means anyone taking damage from the fireball must also make a seperate save vs. catching on fire. Now, I didn't agree due to the fact that most spells that put a player at danger of catching on fire include something in the entry about a save vs. catching on fire. The entry DOES say anything combustable, but the definition of the word is ANYTHING that burns... What're the opinions of this august body?

No, it only burns unattended stuff (so if it isn't on you/backpack it gets attacked). D&D rules very strict about your gear never gets damaged unless you fail by rolling a Nat 1.

It would improve spell though if added status effects to damage spells.
Wording: sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area.
You aren't an object.

Abaddon87
2010-12-13, 11:10 PM
Well if I was the DM, I would weigh that against how much actual time we want to spend rolling saves on top of saves and all that. Sure it makes sense that fire would light burnable things on fire, but its a lot of extra work tracking it all.

Old Man NPC
2010-12-14, 04:28 AM
No, it only burns unattended stuff (so if it isn't on you/backpack it gets attacked). D&D rules very strict about your gear never gets damaged unless you fail by rolling a Nat 1.

It would improve spell though if added status effects to damage spells.
Wording: sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area.
You aren't an object.

Where exactly is this? I'd like to read it.

Koury
2010-12-14, 05:59 AM
I believe this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#itemsSurvivingafteraSavingTh row) is what's being refered to.

Escheton
2010-12-14, 11:17 AM
Yeah...no fireballing in a library, or on plains on a dry summerday.
People don't burn so easy, you need spells like combustion for that.

also: http://www.commissionedcomic.com/?p=48