PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Kensai

Letums Gate
2010-12-14, 02:56 AM
I am going to be in a new campain becuse my Alieanist died :smallfrown:

So I am thinking of trying a Dwarf Hexblade with levels in Kensai.

Any book is open but no psionics no unearthed arcana and only one prc we are level 11. ((well exsept for the monk who my summon killed but thats another story))

I am thinking of going with the AEG - Source - Mercenaries tempered steel quality as well as a flambrge with monky grip to deal LOTS of damage any other sugjestions?

Sorry if my spelling is bad, english is not my first langue.

Myth
2010-12-14, 08:23 AM
Skip Monkey Grip it's a trap. Get Power Attack if you want to convert attack bonuses to damage.

FMArthur
2010-12-14, 10:18 AM
Strongarm Bracers from the Magic Item Compendium cost 6000gp and do what Monkey Grip did without penalty, if you are interested in wielding a big weapon just to have a big weapon.

Really I can't think of any other advice to give. Do you know which weapon enhancements you want?

Letums Gate
2010-12-14, 05:30 PM
Strongarm Bracers from the Magic Item Compendium cost 6000gp and do what Monkey Grip did without penalty, if you are interested in wielding a big weapon just to have a big weapon.

Really I can't think of any other advice to give. Do you know which weapon enhancements you want?

Well I was planing on having six levels of Kensai and go for a plus five Flambridge with maby the wounding quality.

I was also looking at the idea of having him weild two tiny Flambridge wich deal 1d12 and having him dual weild them. I was thinking of geting just +1 holy for one and +1 unholy for the other.

Marnath
2010-12-14, 05:44 PM
Well I was planing on having six levels of Kensai and go for a plus five Flambridge with maby the wounding quality.

I was also looking at the idea of having him weild two tiny Flambridge wich deal 1d12 and having him dual weild them. I was thinking of geting just +1 holy for one and +1 unholy for the other.

You'd need 7 levels of Kensai for that, wounding is a +2.

As to the other idea: Don't. You'll take so many penalties to hit using weapons that are two size categories smaller than designed for you that you'll never hit anyone, that's not including the TWF penalties themselves. To break it down for you, you'll take -2 per size category different which means a -4 for a medium dwarf to use a tiny weapon. Plus -4 for non-proficiency(unless hexblade has martial proficiency?) that means -8 on attacks with each weapon, plus the TWF penalty which is -4 main hand and -8 offhand without the feat, since they'll be light weapons for you(I think.)

*edit: I don't know the stats for a flambridge, but assuming thats equal to a greatsword, a tiny version will only do 1d8.

Letums Gate
2010-12-14, 05:59 PM
You'd need 7 levels of Kensai for that, wounding is a +2.

As to the other idea: Don't. You'll take so many penalties to hit using weapons that are two size categories smaller than designed for you that you'll never hit anyone, that's not including the TWF penalties themselves. To break it down for you, you'll take -2 per size category different which means a -4 for a medium dwarf to use a tiny weapon. Plus -4 for non-proficiency(unless hexblade has martial proficiency?) that means -8 on attacks with each weapon, plus the TWF penalty which is -4 main hand and -8 offhand without the feat, since they'll be light weapons for you(I think.)

*edit: I don't know the stats for a flambridge, but assuming thats equal to a greatsword, a tiny version will only do 1d8.

A flambridge dose 2d8 and I guess your right but I do like the idea of dual weilding and I thought wounding was only +1. I guess I need a recomendation on what to get then.

Marnath
2010-12-14, 06:13 PM
A flambridge dose 2d8 and I guess your right but I do like the idea of dual weilding and I thought wounding was only +1. I guess I need a recomendation on what to get then.

I don't have the book on hand, but I think it's permissable to add the bonuses to a magical weapon, not just a masterwork weapon? If so buy a regular +1 weapon, use 4 of your bonus to get to +5, and then use the other 2 for wounding. You still save a lot of money versus buying a real +5 wounding sword.

The bigger question is are hexblades proficient with flambridges? If not, it's probably better to use a weapon they do get proficiency with, since most weapons are not worth wasting a feat to learn how to use. I have a hard time thinking it would be worthwhile to two weapon fight with a hexblade, since they're partial casters right? Someone else will need to advise you on that one.

Letums Gate
2010-12-14, 06:17 PM
I don't have the book on hand, but I think it's permissable to add the bonuses to a magical weapon, not just a masterwork weapon? If so buy a regular +1 weapon, use 4 of your bonus to get to +5, and then use the other 2 for wounding. You still save a lot of money versus buying a real +5 wounding sword.

The bigger question is are hexblades proficient with flambridges? If not, it's probably better to use a weapon they do get proficiency with, since most weapons are not worth wasting a feat to learn how to use. I have a hard time thinking it would be worthwhile to two weapon fight with a hexblade, since they're partial casters right? Someone else will need to advise you on that one.

Yes they are the flambridge is a martial weapon and I was unsure if it would stack so I may just do that thank you. And yes they are partial casters but it is more flavour then any thing else I just am looking at having alot of options.

Marnath
2010-12-14, 06:24 PM
Yes they are the flambridge is a martial weapon and I was unsure if it would stack so I may just do that thank you. And yes they are partial casters but it is more flavour then any thing else I just am looking at having alot of options.

Don't take my word for it, it's been months since I read the Kensai description. You should read the class carefully and make sure it really does stack before trying that.

As to using the weapon, I'm going to second using power attack and two handing a single weapon rather than dual-wielding. Less feats to waste on not missing a lot, and you don't need to spread your bonuses out and get two not-very-good weapons instead of one nice one.

Letums Gate
2010-12-14, 06:38 PM
Don't take my word for it, it's been months since I read the Kensai description. You should read the class carefully and make sure it really does stack before trying that.

As to using the weapon, I'm going to second using power attack and two handing a single weapon rather than dual-wielding. Less feats to waste on not missing a lot, and you don't need to spread your bonuses out and get two not-very-good weapons instead of one nice one.

I have it here and the rules says nothing about not being able to do it with a allready magicly enhanced weapon. Our DM is very libral on gold spending so I may just pick it up as a +3 weapon to start with that would give me +4 enhancments to play with. Any recomendations on that?

Marnath
2010-12-14, 08:00 PM
I have it here and the rules says nothing about not being able to do it with a allready magicly enhanced weapon. Our DM is very libral on gold spending so I may just pick it up as a +3 weapon to start with that would give me +4 enhancments to play with. Any recomendations on that?

Well, that sort of depends on what sort of things you'll mostly be fighting in the campaign. You expressed interest in the wounding property, so maybe take that along with spell storing and either keen or some sort of energy damage. Normally Bane is a waste because it is so specific, but if by chance you knew that your DM plans to use a lot of a creature type, it would be worthwhile. If there will be lots of undead, disruption is a good idea, assuming you cant get your DM to let you have it on a sword. Technically disruption can only be put on bludgeoning weapons, but that's kind of a silly restriction to me.

Do you know what sort of things you'll be fighting?

Letums Gate
2010-12-14, 08:12 PM
Well, that sort of depends on what sort of things you'll mostly be fighting in the campaign. You expressed interest in the wounding property, so maybe take that along with spell storing and either keen or some sort of energy damage. Normally Bane is a waste because it is so specific, but if by chance you knew that your DM plans to use a lot of a creature type, it would be worthwhile. If there will be lots of undead, disruption is a good idea, assuming you cant get your DM to let you have it on a sword. Technically disruption can only be put on bludgeoning weapons, but that's kind of a silly restriction to me.

Do you know what sort of things you'll be fighting?

Well all I know is we are runing a forrgoten relmes adventure called the fortess of secrets. I dont like to cheat so I have not looked up the module so I am not sure however if you think I need disruption I can switch the flambridge with a claymore. It dose bludgeoning and pericing damnge. Basicly though I want to be able to deal as much damnge as I can.

Marnath
2010-12-14, 08:35 PM
Well all I know is we are runing a forrgoten relmes adventure called the fortess of secrets. I dont like to cheat so I have not looked up the module so I am not sure however if you think I need disruption I can switch the flambridge with a claymore. It dose bludgeoning and pericing damnge. Basicly though I want to be able to deal as much damnge as I can.

I don't necessarily think you need disruption, that was just a suggestion if there's going to be lots of undead. I haven't read that adventure either, so I don't know what you fight there.

I'd assume that many of the enemies you'll face will be evil, since usually you fight bad people when you are the hero. So Holy should do well for you, it does 2d6 against evil things. For the other +2, I'd say Shock and Spell storing. I picked shock only because resistance to it is less common than resistance to say, fire. Offhand I don't know whats on the hexblade spell list, but it can also hold other spellcaster spells, if there is a wizard or something in your party.

If you have access to the Magic Item Compendium, there are probably better choices than this. I don't have it handy though. Anyone else have suggestions?

Urpriest
2010-12-14, 09:57 PM
That much Kensai means the Hexblade's already weak spellcasting won't be particularly relevant. The curses are interesting at least. Hexblade's are predominately used for lowering saving throws so that the mages in your party have an easier time making their spells hit, so doing things that focus on that is worthwhile. For example, the Dark Companion from Player's Handbook II is an Alternate Class Feature for Hexblades that gives enemies a penalty on saving throws.

Letums Gate
2010-12-15, 02:06 AM
That much Kensai means the Hexblade's already weak spellcasting won't be particularly relevant. The curses are interesting at least. Hexblade's are predominately used for lowering saving throws so that the mages in your party have an easier time making their spells hit, so doing things that focus on that is worthwhile. For example, the Dark Companion from Player's Handbook II is an Alternate Class Feature for Hexblades that gives enemies a penalty on saving throws.

I will have to look into that thank you. However I am kind of worried about how this will all turn out I have very few feats to work with and although power attack helps I dont have much else. Are there any suggestions on boosting my damnge?

AslanCross
2010-12-15, 06:16 PM
Aside: What is a flambridge? If you mean flamberge, where are the stats from? I only know of the fullblade from AEG, which deals 2d8 and needs exotic weapon proficiency. Not really worth it unless you intend to go to all sorts of size increase stacking escapades.

Letums Gate
2010-12-15, 10:21 PM
Aside: What is a flambridge? If you mean flamberge, where are the stats from? I only know of the fullblade from AEG, which deals 2d8 and needs exotic weapon proficiency. Not really worth it unless you intend to go to all sorts of size increase stacking escapades.

Yes flamberge. Sorry engilsh is not my strong point. The weapon is on page 85 of the AEG - Source - Mercenaries book.