PDA

View Full Version : ROAR: an OGL of 1e/2e/3e rpg preview

Turanil
2010-12-14, 03:09 AM
For those interested: I am working on a OGL-rpg of my own, and I have finally put some previews for download!

ROAR (aka Raiders of Ancient Ruins) is but another pseudo-retro-simulacrum game of D&D (based on 1e, 2e and 3e). I have finished the classes, though these two chapters need refinement (hence I would be glad to get your comments, suggestions, advice, etc.).

So far here is what is proposed for download, with a straight layout:

1) Six Base Classes + 60 Professions (http://www.dcrouzet.net/temporary/ROAR-preview_classes-professions.pdf). So there is six basic core classes with different naming conventions, onto which you add one profession drawn from 60 proposed. This is simple, yet enables for many different characters.

2) Twelve Traditional Classes (http://www.dcrouzet.net/temporary/ROAR-preview_traditional-classes.pdf). For those who won't like te above, the 12 core classes that AD&D players and GMs are accustomed to, will be included in an appendix about alternate classes. They are derived from both 1e and 2e (but with rules reminding of 3e).

ROAR game mechanics and main concepts:

This game takes mechanics from all editions (except 4e).
-- The main resolution mechanic used throughout the game for attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws comes from 3e: you roll a d20 + relevant bonuses against a DC that ranges from 10 to 30. (So, when it comes to combat it's ascending attack bonus vs ascending AC). This has the advantage of being straight and simple.
-- Ability scores: as per BD&D (13-15: +1; 16-17 +2; 18: +3).
-- Races are mostly as per AD&D but somewhat simplified.
-- Classes are either special as per download #1 above (and I hope relatively simple to use and determine). Or you can use the #2 alternate set of classes directly inspired from 1e/2e.
-- Spells are mostly as per AD&D 1e, but more detailed in their description (they use the d20 SRD).
-- Combat is mostly as per 2e, with easy to use maneuvers (grapple, etc.) inspired by 3e.
-- E9: as inspired by the "E6" concept, ROAR mostly caps all characters at 9th level, though some rules are given to exceed this limit for the occasional legendary NPC.

Anyway, I would be glad to get your advices, comments, criticisms, etc., for I think this will need some refinements...

Tvtyrant
2010-12-14, 03:41 AM
It looks interesting! I have a couple questions though:

1. What are the DC's for spells based on? I couldn't tell by looking at the classes.

2. Have you considered making professions that require two other professions to enter?

3. Why do some classes have further epic level progression then others?

4. Why did you pick level 9?

I really like the professions system; especially the way Adepts can be either Wizards or Sorcerers as the player chooses.

Turanil
2010-12-14, 06:34 AM
First of all, thanks for the interest! :smallsmile:

1. What are the DC's for spells based on? I couldn't tell by looking at the classes.
The DC for spells are as follow: 15 + spell's level. This is meant to be straight and simple, as everything else in this game. With 15 + spell's level GMs don't have to figure out caster level and ability score modifiers, etc. One just need to know the spell's level which in itself is almost always known by the GM. The numbers obtained with 15 + spell's level, and the saves bonuses of classes, are supposed to give values relatively close to those of 2e. (i.e.: in 2e, classes get better at saving as they gain levels, where in 3e, you basically have a 50% base chance that remains more or less in this range as you increase in levels but face higher level spells.)

2. Have you considered making professions that require two other professions to enter?
No. I wanted something straight and simple. Making that sort of "prestige professions" appear a little complicated to me. However, that shouldn't preclude individual GMs to add their own campaign-based professions, and use this system. For example: one would need to be first a Battlerager, before being able to become a Berserker who can shapechange into a bear.

3. Why do some classes have further epic level progression then others?
Well, I wanted to allow (and insert in the spell compendium) all the higher level spells, just in case. As such, I only gave spell progression up to the highest spell level possible (hence when paladins reach their first 4th level spell, and when magic-users gain their first 9th level spell). However, since the game is normally capped at 9th level, I don't need to give spell progressions up the 20th level for all classes. Besides, I like the idea that only mages would reach 17th caster level, but priests would be limited to 14th level (inspired by 2e), and so on.

4. Why did you pick level 9?
Well 9th level is before all a matter of taste. Nonethless, this game is based on my gaming experiences as well: Firstly, of all the years we did play (three different gaming groups), we very rarely had campaigns in the 10th+ level range; most gaming was up to 9th, and only for a few months out of 20+ years of play did we reach up to 14th. However, no level cap was an excuse for a plethora of high level NPCs (including the proverbial 10th level taverner or 20th level arena owner) for the lazy GM. I like when there is a sense of what is really powerful and easily obtainable in a campaign (such as 9th level), not an endless nonsense level escalation (which require the GM to put street thugs as 6th level fighters and so on). Also, i ran two campaigns past 10th level (one in 2e and one in 3e), and I thought it was really tedious and cumbersome to run.
Now, I much liked the E6 concept for 3e, but I thought it was too limiting at 6th level (tough for 3e it's okay), and extended it at 9th level for my game.

I really like the professions system; especially the way Adepts can be either Wizards or Sorcerers as the player chooses.
Hum, I guess you thought of sorcerer and wizard in the 3e classes sense? Here, sorcerer and wizard as professions don't represent a way of preparing or knowing spells. However, in the magic section there will be options regarding magic-use, and the way character prepare or not their spells.