PDA

View Full Version : Cold

IsaacTheHungry
2010-12-14, 11:38 AM
I am in Florida right now and it is 31 F, 0C for non americans
there are major snowfalls in the mid east right now so this might not seem like a problem but it is. See the school building heater is not working right, the hall are warm but the room are around near freezing due to vents not working and large glass windows sucking out the heat

This is made worse as i keep running into native floridians who have no cold weather clothing. one guy i see now has a T-sirt and a light sweatshirt. i see others in light rain coats. they have to take breaks to warm up in the hall

I see SANDALS!!! cold feet :smalleek:

i am from VA and i have a long sleave shirt and a heavy leather jacket :smallcool: , i'm fine but i can literly watch others turn blue in class from the cold

Ego Slayer
2010-12-14, 12:20 PM
I lawl'd. Just last night one of my friends in FL complained about it being really cold there and I told him to suck it up cos I've got, like, 3' of snow. :smalltongue:

Silly FL peoples not having the proper clothing. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-14, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I don't get cold so I can't relate.

Gullara
2010-12-14, 12:21 PM
Pfft, 0 C is pretty much summer weather. I could go out in that with a t shirt, shorts, and sandals. Try -20C (-4F) then add wind chill on top of that. Or maybe -30C (-22F) with wind chill as well.

Sorry but you were asking for it:smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2010-12-14, 12:26 PM
The worst I've experienced is -26 C (-15F). The schools closed in Gothenburg. And it looks like we'll have something similar this winter.

Gullara
2010-12-14, 12:31 PM
The worst I've had? I believe it was around -35C (-31F) and I think it was -45C (-49F) with wind chill. Bloody well could freeze to death if there was a draft in the house.

shiram
2010-12-14, 01:46 PM
Well that not very cold to me, but its relative I guess, I come from the great white north.
But if you dont got the right clothes that can be a pain, especially in class, where you have to just sit and listen all the time.
uh try to fidget alot, it could raise your body temperature and keep you warm.

Liriel
2010-12-14, 02:14 PM
Why didn't they cancel school if the heaters aren't working? :smallconfused:

KuReshtin
2010-12-14, 02:15 PM
Coldest experience I ever exposed myself to was when I went to school up north in Sweden, and we went out for an overnight hike and sleeping under the stars in the middle of winter.

It crept down to about -15C during the night, and there was a group of about 6 or 7 people huddled together on reindeer pelts and sleeping bags with about two feet of snow all around us.

Saw some of the most spectacular Aurora Borealis that night, though.

Took a while to get back to normal body heat after we got back to school the following day. :smallsmile:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-14, 02:36 PM
It was 7F without wind chill this morning here, and I finally decided to wear a coat.

Everybody that knows me thinks I'm crazy for that.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-14, 03:26 PM
I went swimming in the north sea in February one time, that was pretty cold.
It's -5 C here right now. It was -7 last night.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-14, 03:35 PM
I'm a polar bear, having been born and raised in Canada, and having my family background come from Ireland Scotland england etc. So Right now it's still kinda warm :D I think around -5c up to -150c with wind chill.

For that real cold stuff I got an army issue paratroopers parka meant to go up to -40 or -60 :D Let's see the wind beat me!

llamamushroom
2010-12-14, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it's freezing over here, too - we got down to 15°C the other day!

Coidzor
2010-12-14, 04:11 PM
Coldest I've been out in for any real length of time would probably be about 10 degrees Fahrenheit or -12.222~ Celsius. Though it's somewhere in the 20s F right now and I just had to go out in shorts and a t-shirt to deal with a pair of cats fighting on the porch(specifically to kick them into the snow). So that was kinda annoying. Coldest I've ever experienced is something like -5 F, -20 C, and then only for a short length of time (as in, to grab something off of the back porch) and I was fully dressed for inclement weather at the time.

Least fun I've had due to the cold was in middleschool when the entire state lost power for a week or so after a major ice storm caused a huge number of downed power lines in the tri-state area. Living in an icy cavern of around 10-15 Fahrenheit (-12 to -9 C) in the main living room of the house where we had a fireplace going most of the time, and 5 F, -15 C in the other parts we just didn't go into for the most part, was not fun in the slightest.

That house was not built to be kept warm in the winter without external power with 2 full floors, a partially above-ground basement(being built into the side of a hill), and a level overlooking the living room which was the master suite in a sort of combination attic-frog. Lots of empty space, especially around the fire place due to having a ceiling two stories above the floor, and a fair number of windows too.

So I ended up spending a lot of time fully dressed in 2-3 layers of long underwear, several shirts and a couple of sweat shirts/sweaters underneath my outerwear and in my sleeping bag and as much bedding as I could obtain to make a nest with. Would've worn my winter coat the entire time too,, but I compromised by having one for going outside in and one for wearing inside the sleeping bag so I wouldn't get my bedding wet from the snow I'd otherwise get in it.

Miklus
2010-12-14, 04:13 PM
I got temperatures between 0C in the day and -10C in the night here in Denmark. Windy as always here.

The coldest I have expirienced was -20C. That's when it stops being fun and you just want to stay indoors.

Some of my crazier family members have been known to go skinnydipping on christmas eve. Not in a pool, mind you, in the sea. Brrrr!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-14, 04:13 PM
Ugh, 23 F (-5 C) right here. That's not the main problem though; the main issue is that it's a damp cold.

Spiryt
2010-12-14, 04:22 PM
Another one of those?

It's about - 12 C (9 F?) here, but since wind stopped blowing ridiculously, like it had been doing recently, it's quite nice in fact. I just went for a short walk with dog.

The coldest I remember was probably around - 37 C (- 30 F?). Those were quite ridiculous days few years ago, they haven't close the schools, and since I had short walk to the school, I went there, but classes were pretty empty, around 1/3 of normal state, with poor teachers of course, who couldn't just say, "Nah, it's too damn cold, I'm not going anywhere". :smallwink:

Eldonauran
2010-12-14, 04:22 PM
It was 7F without wind chill this morning here, and I finally decided to wear a coat.

Everybody that knows me thinks I'm crazy for that.

Same for me. Only time I wear a coat is when its raining AND cold. Otherwise its just a hat to keep my eye glasses dry.

Marnath
2010-12-14, 04:26 PM
I lawl'd. Just last night one of my friends in FL complained about it being really cold there and I told him to suck it up cos I've got, like, 3' of snow. :smalltongue:

Seriously. I used to get that sort of behavior around here when I was in High School too, made even more inexcusable considering I'm in Michigan. YOU'RE COLD BECAUSE YOU'RE HALF NAKED, PEOPLE! PUT ON YOUR FREAKING COATS! :smallfurious::smallfurious: /rant

I used to get teased for wearing lined driving gloves and a wool hat. One guy I remember was mocking how "You look dumb in that hat blah blah" and "Gloves? what are you, a girl?" and I looked at his blue fingers and his windburned arms and said "I'm warm, and you're not." :smalltongue:
He didn't bother me anymore after that. :smallbiggrin:

shiram
2010-12-14, 04:38 PM
We used to do snow baths here, basically strip down to your undies, lay on the snow and have people snow onto you.
I cant recall why we did it though, probably youth exhuberance.

Coldest I have been in is probably somewhere around -40 Celsius, with wind chill, and it was not fun.

cho_j
2010-12-14, 04:45 PM

Yes, how very silly of people from areas that are not supposed to have freezing temperatures to not have the clothing for it. /sarcasm

I feel your pain, IsaacTheHungry. I'm a Californian having her first Missouri winter, and even though I was warned in advance and got the proper clothing, I can't believe how cold it is! I can only imagine how horrific it would be if I didn't have the right coat. O.o

thubby
2010-12-14, 05:54 PM
it's currently 21 F (-6 C), not really cold, but it's been warm enough that many woefully underestimated what they'd need to wear.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-14, 05:56 PM
it's currently 21 F (-6 C), not really cold, but it's been warm enough that many woefully underestimated what they'd need to wear.

Dress clothes. They're perfect for this weather, although I wear them all year long :D

Temotei
2010-12-14, 05:57 PM
Right now, I think it's about -5 degrees Fahrenheit. It'll get colder when night comes, and probably colder later in the month.

Obrysii
2010-12-14, 05:59 PM
one guy i see now has a T-sirt and a light sweatshirt. i see others in light rain coats. they have to take breaks to warm up in the hall

It was -10 degree F here and all I had was a sweatshirt and a car without heat.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-14, 06:17 PM
it was 20 in texarkana

IsaacTheHungry
2010-12-14, 06:40 PM
Yes, how very silly of people from areas that are not supposed to have freezing temperatures to not have the clothing for it. /sarcasm

I feel your pain, IsaacTheHungry. I'm a Californian having her first Missouri winter, and even though I was warned in advance and got the proper clothing, I can't believe how cold it is! I can only imagine how horrific it would be if I didn't have the right coat. O.o

You feal their pain not mine, i'm tosty :smallbiggrin:

i remember in the blizzered of 96 back home (not a huge on compaired to some out there but still decent) i went sleding in shorts and a T-shirt, they called my crazy but i was fine :smallbiggrin:

I know how to handle it, i do astonomy so i have some very warm coats. True i didn't bring my warmest to florida but i did bring a good one just in case.

2 days ago i taught some people about LAYERS. I my heater wasn't working well so it was a bit cold (for me) so i went to bed in a t-shirt and pajamas. The next morning i decided to just put my pants and shirt over these. I showed it to some local and they all thought it was brilliant because it didn't occur to them that you can have more layers then pants and Shirt+coat :smallsigh:

Edit: ^@ Obrysii, try to find a tighter shirt and a loser shirt (i recommend polo shirt for the second if you have one as they often are slightly thicker) and put them both on, it will help

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-14, 06:44 PM
i always rock under armor and a t shirt or sweater.

Spiryt
2010-12-14, 06:51 PM
It's well after midnight here, and it's down to - 13 C (8 Fahrenheit?) already.

My dog's happy, cause he sleeps in the cellar.

Creed
2010-12-14, 06:53 PM
It was like 9 F. with wind chill during my 20 minute wait at the bus stop in Ohio.
I HATE f*cking winter.:smallmad:

Forbiddenwar
2010-12-14, 07:05 PM
meanwhile, deep in the snow filled Colorado Rockies it is . . .
70 F
WTF?

And a Mark Twain quote: "everyone talks about the weather but no one does something about it."

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-14, 07:49 PM
meanwhile, deep in the snow filled Colorado Rockies it is . . .
70 F
WTF?

I've had 80 F the week of Christmas. In Detroit.

The next week, it was in the 30's.

IronWilliam
2010-12-14, 08:16 PM
Cold is sleeping in a tent in the winter for a WEEK, including one night in an igloo. Boy Scout winter war outing, it was pretty awesome.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-14, 08:32 PM
Cold is sleeping in a tent in the winter for a WEEK, including one night in an igloo. Boy Scout winter war outing, it was pretty awesome.

i know the feeling.

Devil's Den. -10. head frozen to my pillow.

Kneenibble
2010-12-14, 09:10 PM
I jogged 10 kilometres in -30 Celsius on Sunday night. God bless the prairies, I'm laughing at you all. I love the raw purring teeth of a deep winter.

thubby
2010-12-14, 09:34 PM

oh hell yes.
on one of our annual ski trips (not to a resort but to an actual mountain in the middle of nowhere) the wind was so bad we couldnt keep our tents up.

pure awesome.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-14, 09:36 PM
tents are for the weak:smalltongue:

thorgrim29
2010-12-14, 09:40 PM
They are much like toes, noses and ears in that regard.

cho_j
2010-12-14, 09:47 PM
2 days ago i taught some people about LAYERS. I my heater wasn't working well so it was a bit cold (for me) so i went to bed in a t-shirt and pajamas. The next morning i decided to just put my pants and shirt over these. I showed it to some local and they all thought it was brilliant because it didn't occur to them that you can have more layers then pants and Shirt+coat :smallsigh:

Haha! That's a good lesson for them to learn! Even in the San Francisco Bay Area we know about layering!

Gullara
2010-12-15, 01:31 AM
I jogged 10 kilometres in -30 Celsius on Sunday night. God bless the prairies, I'm laughing at you all. I love the raw purring teeth of a deep winter.

You my friend are a mad man. These prairies will kill you as soon as look at you.

blackfox
2010-12-15, 10:49 AM
15F (-10C?) and 0F (-17C?) with windchill here. It's usually not this cold until February. I'm not complaining :smallbiggrin:

Roukon
2010-12-15, 03:17 PM
I'm a native Minnesotan in Florida right now, and while my uncle complains about the coldness of the weather, I'm still sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt.

I remember the winter of 1996 when it got to about -40 F below and I was outside in that with a winter jacket on. Unless it gets much below 0 F, I wear jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie for going outside, and I feel perfectly comfortable.

Later Days,
Roukon

Dsurion
2010-12-15, 11:53 PM
I'm a native Minnesotan in Florida right now, and while my uncle complains about the coldness of the weather, I'm still sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt.

I remember the winter of 1996 when it got to about -40 F below and I was outside in that with a winter jacket on. Unless it gets much below 0 F, I wear jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie for going outside, and I feel perfectly comfortable.

Later Days,
Roukon
I was very small during that blizzard. Heightwise. And I went out more or less the same way all the time, despite my mom's protest. It was incredibly fun being in so much snow until I fell through a large pile and couldn't climb back on my own. It's weird, since then, I'm cold all the time. Especially now, at around -4 with bare minimum heat on.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-16, 12:07 AM
so it was 50 three days ago, 30 two days ago, 20 yesterday..... and 70 today. what the hell, texarkana:smallannoyed:

Gullara
2010-12-16, 12:46 AM
so it was 50 three days ago, 30 two days ago, 20 yesterday..... and 70 today. what the hell, texarkana:smallannoyed:

These numbers mean nothing to me.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-16, 12:51 AM

70f Is room temperature for me. Since our thermostats in F.

But right now it's like -10 or -15C

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-16, 12:51 AM

degrees farenheit

Gullara
2010-12-16, 01:00 AM
degrees farenheit

Exactly

White text

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-16, 01:02 AM

In order of appearance (This time in Celsius)
10-(-1)-(-6)-21

Gullara
2010-12-16, 02:09 AM
In order of appearance (This time in Celsius)
10-(-1)-(-6)-21

Oh, so it never got cold at all.

That's what you're saying right?

blackfox
2010-12-16, 02:56 AM

That's what you're saying right?He's saying the temperature's bouncing all over the place.

But yes. :smalltongue:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-12-16, 09:00 AM

Been there before. Every February my troop would take part in a local camporee called "The Klondike." Fun times.

Yeah. Not cold at all. Even at the lowest, I'd call that a little chilly.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-16, 12:45 PM
He's saying the temperature's bouncing all over the place.

But yes. :smalltongue:

bingo. i dont care how cold or not cold it gets, it's just annoying

Marnath
2010-12-16, 02:22 PM

I think the point is that that's the difference in temperature between an average winter temperature and an average early spring/summer temperature, but within the span of days, not months. From 20 to 70 degrees F(-6 to 21 C) is a major jump to have from one day to the next.

Gullara
2010-12-16, 02:31 PM
I think the point is that that's the difference in temperature between an average winter temperature and an average early spring/summer temperature, but within the span of days, not months. From 20 to 70 degrees F(-6 to 21 C) is a major jump to have from one day to the next.

Yeah that was already pointed out to me.

I just like pointing out how it never EVER gets cold in the southern states,

It's my hobby:smalltongue:

CWater
2010-12-16, 04:30 PM
Here it's -4C (24F) right now, which is quite mild considering that it's been around -10C for the past few weeks. And at least 3 feet of snow and more coming. Honestly, I like snow, it would be really dark without it, but it's starting to get ridiculous:smallannoyed: Oh well, at least we'll have a white Christmas:smallsmile:

The coldest I've ever experienced was -35C (-31F) or less at a funeral 9 years ago. *shudder* I remember that I lost the feeling from my toes and fingertips. And tears froze on your face. Not fun.:smalleek:

Kneenibble
2010-12-16, 04:55 PM
On Christmas last year it was about -35 with a windchill that sunk down to about -45. I went for a jog in the afternoon and nearly got frostbite in an area where I really don't want to lose any feeling.