PDA

View Full Version : Outlets for Rebuke Undead

Elric VIII
2010-12-14, 01:51 PM
Simple question, are there any feats beside Devotion/Domain and Divine feats that allow you to use your Rebuke ability for anything?

Fitz10019
2010-12-14, 02:28 PM
Alternate uses of Turn/Rebuke Undead is practically the definition of "Divine Feat." It would be easier to answer if you said which books/sources you've already looked at, and ask if there are other sources.

Master_Rahl22
2010-12-14, 02:39 PM
These are both Divine Feats, but like Fitz said Divine Feats are feats that let you spend Turn/Rebuke attempts to do something else. Anywho, 2 useful ones are Profane Agony from Drow of the Underdark and Profane Lifeleech from Libris Mortis.

Profane Agony requires Rebuke undead and Death or Destruction domain. It lets you spend one Rebuke as a full round action to sicken one target (save or not) and deal nonlethal damage (Fort negates). Sicken is a -2 to pretty much everything including saves, so the next time you use it they're more likely to fail their save against the damage.

Profane Lifeleech requires Rebuke undead and lets you spend 2 attempts to deal damage to all living creatures in a 30ft radius and heal you for the same amount. There is no attack roll or save allowed, so coupled with the healing it's great for a Neutral/Evil Cleric who wants to tank, and you could also throw in some undead minions that won't be harmed by it.

Elric VIII
2010-12-14, 03:22 PM
I have looked through all of the Divine and Domain feats on this (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/index.html) site, which seems to have a pretty healthy list. As for sources, my DM will allow pretty much any reasonable mechanic that isn't setting specific.

Diarmuid
2010-12-14, 04:33 PM
So...if you've looked at the list..are you looking for other options? Did you not find something specific you were looking for?

I'm confused that you asked if anything existed then admitted to already having found it.

Not trying to be a douche, just trying to understand what it is you're looking for.

Person_Man
2010-12-14, 04:53 PM
Simple question, are there any feats beside Devotion/Domain and Divine feats that allow you to use your Rebuke ability for anything?

Are you aware of all the various Feats available? Because there are a lot of them. My favorite is Divine Defiance. Burn a turn or rebuke undead use to counter a spell as an Immediate Action. (You must still have Dispel Magic or the same spell available, but that's not that big of a deal). Fiendish Codex II.

There's also the Ordained Champion prestige class: As a Swift Action you can burn Turn Undead uses to gain additional Smite attempts. It might also work for Rebuke Undead. I'm AFB right now, so I'm not sure. Anyone got Complete Champion handy?

And there's a bunch of Alternate Class Features and Racial Substitution levels that trade away Turn/Rebuke Undead for other stuff. But I would never do so, because it's far too valuable of a resource.

Keld Denar
2010-12-14, 04:59 PM
Yea, other than [Divine] and [Devotion] feats, there are some class features. Person_Man mentioned Ordained Champion, but there is also Ruby Knight Windicator and IIRC, Saphire Hierarch. There are also probably a couple others if you check various obscure books. I think Races of Stone has a feat the keys specifically off rebuke [Earth] creatures.

Complete Champion has the Turn Anathema spell, a level 2 spell that lets you turn outsiders with an alignment component opposite one of yours. So, if you are LE, and you cast the spell and key it off Evil, you could turn [Good] outsiders. If you keyed it off Lawful, you could turn [Chaotic] outsiders, etc. Regardless of whether you turn or rebuke undead, you always turn outsiders, and regardless of your level, you can't dust them like you can undead.

shadow_archmagi
2010-12-14, 05:01 PM
My favorite is Divine Defiance.

It was so tragic when my DM wouldn't let me take that for my factotum.

Apparently the hilarity of powering Divine Defiance with Opportunistic Piety did not amuse him.

Elric VIII
2010-12-14, 07:21 PM
I was just wondering if there were any options I missed; this is meant to be for a background character, a cohort Blackguard that is geared to have a subtle beneficial effect on the entire group. I think I'm going to go with Protection Devotion.

Person_Man
2010-12-15, 11:16 AM
I was just wondering if there were any options I missed; this is meant to be for a background character, a cohort Blackguard that is geared to have a subtle beneficial effect on the entire group. I think I'm going to go with Protection Devotion.

A Blackguard with the Protection Devotion? That seems a bit odd. Who does he worship, former Vice President Cheney?

But then again I despise cohorts and DMPCs because they steal the limelight away from players, so my opinion probably isn't a good one to listen to on this matter.