PDA

View Full Version : [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-14, 07:28 PM
What is Academy City anyway?

So what is this game about? It’s about a place called Academy City, close to Tokyo, where some of the most amazing people science has discovered are sent once their unique gifts are discovered. And just who are these people? Pyschics, Espers, telepaths, pyrokinetists, telekinetic users, teleporters, and the list goes on and on, but no matter what they are called they are all one simple thing. A person capable of using psychic powers in some fashion or another, able to do extraordinary things once put through Academy City’s all-but unique psychic development programs. From things such as creating fireballs to manipulating luck itself, these people have demonstrated a wide array of capabilities after being gathered into the most advanced city on earth. The majority of espers (we’re talking 98-99% percent here) can barely be considered psychic before being ‘refined’ to the point they can manifest their abilities, but there are the rare few who manifest psychic abilities before being put through the program as well, almost literal gemstones of the world. These espers range from the almost powerless Level 0s to the awesome power possessed by the rare Level 5 espers.

But what about Academy City? Well, it’s a large city that is almost thirty years ahead of the rest of the world in terms of science and development, with numerous nations having a stake invested in the city’s unique residents. Almost sixty percent of the residents at Academy City’s schools, from the prestigious Azabu Academy and Tokiwaida Middle School to the more…’normal’ Onizuka Middle School…though how ‘normal’ any school can be when they are populated by a mix of psychics and normal people is up for debate. Though by far is it’s greatest asset is one of the satellites orbiting above, which continues the Tree Diagram program that can accurately predict the weather up to a month in advance, though those with the proper connections can ask it other things as well…Not that to say that everything is candy and sunshine in this sovereign city, there’s a darker underside to Academy City that most of it’s residents don’t even know about. Dangerous Skill Out gangs, those without powers who target espers for fun or rights, roam the streets and a person can disappear without a trace depending on where they stick their nose. Rumors of illegal research or weapons research are rampant, though Academy City is such a touchy place that such matters are never really investigated seriously by the Board of Directors in charge of Academy City.

This game is based on the setting of the To Aru no Kagaku Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun) light novels/anime/manga series. Watching/Reading the series is OPTIONAL, but they are rather good. :smalltongue:

Okay, but how is it different from, say, Nexus?

It differs in several important ways.
First, it is a lot more uniform that the Nexus. Academy City has espers and science, not, say, kitten snipers.
Second, the plot of Academy City is going to be more directed. There are the good, the bad, and the ugly, and they are mostly organized. As such, most plots and stuff will be interwoven into one big plot. Or at least that's the intention.
Third, Academy City is NOT in any way connected to the Nexus. i.e. you cannot have a character travel between the two. If you want a character in Academy City, it is for Academy City. You can have a version of the same character for both the Nexus and Academy City, but they are different characters.

How do I start?

Well, you want to post a character in this thread, and the character registry when it goes up, so everyone can find information on your character and so people can give you helpful criticism on it.
To prevent a pattern that is all too easy to fall into, it's good to point out the fact that passive actions don't tend to get much attention.
With that in mind, make a post and begin!

What abilities have been taken?
http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/powers-list

There are rules, right?

Yes, there are.
Firstly, no godmodding (or godmoding). A far better explanation of godmodding than I can give is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1633965&postcount=5)
Second, please remember that we plan to have a far more directed plot than Nexus. Please run any major spanners in the works past guys on this thread first.
Third, don't ruin anyone else's fun. I can't stress this enough.
Fourth, have fun!

New and Improved (but loose) Rules v.1.1!
These "rules" are more loose guidelines that serve another FFRPG very well so I adopted them into this one, because they work.

Consider asking to join in fights before jumping in.
Please respect that all plots might not be open. Alternatively, if you yourself want to keep a fight cordoned off from other participants, say so in the OOC, at the beginning of your post, or both.
TALK major fights over with your opponent!
This is to keep arguments about who's the better fighter, who should win, blablablablabla, out of the OOC. Of course, talk these things over in PM, or some kind of IM service. While arguments might break out over said PM/IM... It keeps it out of the OOC. Which is what we're trying to do here. On that note...
Don't argue in the OOC!
They make the atmosphere oppressive, they make things less fun, and generally unpleasant and maybe even make the arguments larger than they need be. So, if you have a problem with someone, try to talk it out in PM or IM before using the OOC.

These guidelines/loose rules might be viable to change or be added on to as issues come up, but the bases are covered pretty well.

Disclaimer #1: This game is going to have several moderators to mediate IC and OOC disputes (if they require them), but are not moderators in the GitP sense (Like Roland or the Giant). Aside from mediating disputes, they'll be keeping an eye on characters to watch for intentional/unintentional abuse. If they ask you to change something, it's a good idea to consider it. If they tell you it needs to be changed, then it does but this sort of thing is for important matters only. Disruptive players will be asked to leave if they insist on causing trouble.

Disclaimer #2: If you want to make a level five, make up a character and the community will decide if it shoud be or not.' That way we keep the number of level 5's down and everyone will agree on them. Remember that in canon, Academy City had only seven level fives, and a population of 1.8 million.

Important Links

The Wiki (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/) (The wiki password is "biribiri" (sans the quotation marks))
Toaru Majutsu no Index wiki. (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index_Wiki)

OOC's
OOC I: Biribiri (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163939)

IC's
Acadedy City I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164875)

Banners

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/g16712.png?t=1281737995

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-14, 07:45 PM
Yippee, a new thread!

... wait, I should actually post with Hinata once in a while... shouldn't I?

<.<

>.>

13_CBS
2010-12-14, 07:53 PM
Been a while, hasn't it? :smallsmile:

To begin, I must sincerely apologize for my long absence, which I can blame on school work. I was set upon by another paper for a class (THE final paper) much earlier than I expected, so I had to drop everything and finish that off. By the time I was done with that, then began exam week (which is still ongoing). I've been working nonstop on school-related projects until literally just now, which is why I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone until this post.

I'm afraid that I still won't be able to post until after this Friday, as that is when all of my exams/last papers are due.

Again, I apologize for the delay, and I hope I haven't caused the game to stall too much with my absence. :smallfrown:

Moon Wolf
2010-12-14, 07:55 PM
13! You're back! :smallbiggrin:

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-14, 08:01 PM
"Does this mean I can get back to teasing Mitsune-chan? <3"

Maximum Zersk
2010-12-14, 08:13 PM
I feel like I have missed something. >.>

Have I?

ace_cipher_zero
2010-12-14, 08:44 PM
Ummm...should we have something in the intro of the first OOC to point here?

Anyr
2010-12-14, 09:42 PM

No need. With nobody posting in it, the first OOC will fall off the first page soon enough anyway.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-14, 09:52 PM

Nah, also, I'm waiting on you dang it! :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2010-12-14, 10:46 PM

To begin, I must sincerely apologize for my long absence, which I can blame on school work. I was set upon by another paper for a class (THE final paper) much earlier than I expected, so I had to drop everything and finish that off. By the time I was done with that, then began exam week (which is still ongoing). I've been working nonstop on school-related projects until literally just now, which is why I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone until this post.

I'm afraid that I still won't be able to post until after this Friday, as that is when all of my exams/last papers are due.

Again, I apologize for the delay, and I hope I haven't caused the game to stall too much with my absence. :smallfrown:

Until Friday?! That soon?!http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/NamonakiRei/Kyaa.png

Oh ya! I will be GREAT having you back 13. And I just turned in a massive essay as well. They certainly are a pain.

Lillith
2010-12-15, 07:22 AM

Tsk don't worry about it. School is important and we all know the stress of deadlines. I got two today myself actually. If you feel like making up however there's this nice Mahjong place with three PC's in there that could use some serious action. :smallwink:

hanzo66
2010-12-15, 07:48 AM
I guess I'd do something, but I'm not sure where exactly to start off...

Anyr
2010-12-15, 11:48 AM
I guess I'd do something, but I'm not sure where exactly to start off...

Wherever you like. It's saturday, so you've got free reign to put Avery just about anywhere in the city. Don't be afraid to be overt and start a scene yourself if nothing much is happening when you post; Every scene needs someone to start it off, and there's no reason why that someone can't be you.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-15, 11:57 AM
Ahh, the smell of a new thread. Smells like cranberry energy drink :smalltongue:

I am kind of sad that both Friday Katsu and Saturday Katsu are waiting on people. Despite my resent joining of Nexus I still want to do something with the little speedster :smallsmile:

Anyr
2010-12-15, 02:22 PM
Ahh, the smell of a new thread. Smells like cranberry energy drink :smalltongue:

I am kind of sad that both Friday Katsu and Saturday Katsu are waiting on people. Despite my resent joining of Nexus I still want to do something with the little speedster :smallsmile:

Then by all means do so. While it's generally polite to forgive delays in the game, there's a limit to how far that should go. Saturday Katsu's conversation has been frozen for over a week, with no word from the other player as to why; That's more than long enough to justify abandoning it.

Moon Wolf
2010-12-15, 04:20 PM
Dear all,

I will be taking a leave of absence from this RP for a while, and with good reason. Today, while crossing a busy downtown street, my best friend was struck by a car. She has been admitted to the hospital and is currently in the ER with no updates on her condition. If you wish to contact me about this and/or send her well wishes, please inbox me.

Why, you ask? Because anyone from the old Bleach RP or other places will know my friend.

Her name is Artemis Dreamer.

ace_cipher_zero
2010-12-17, 02:01 PM
Nah, also, I'm waiting on you dang it! :smalltongue:

Sorry about that, some pretty big issues came up and I have had spotty internet access for the past 2 weeks, although that should be changing soon.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-17, 02:34 PM
Sorry about that, some pretty big issues came up and I have had spotty internet access for the past 2 weeks, although that should be changing soon.

No problem, just making sure you hadn't forgotten is all. :smallwink:

13_CBS
2010-12-17, 04:38 PM
Dear all,

I will be taking a leave of absence from this RP for a while, and with good reason. Today, while crossing a busy downtown street, my best friend was struck by a car. She has been admitted to the hospital and is currently in the ER with no updates on her condition. If you wish to contact me about this and/or send her well wishes, please inbox me.

Why, you ask? Because anyone from the old Bleach RP or other places will know my friend.

Her name is Artemis Dreamer.

My condolences, Moon Wolf. :smallfrown: I wish you, your friend, and your loved ones the best.

(I'm also posting to let everyone know that, due to administrative SNAFU, one of my exams got moved to Monday. The result is that I won't be able to post until after that exam. I'm really sorry for the continued delays...

If any of my characters are causing hold ups, feel free to godmode them or write around them as necessary.)

Silverraptor
2010-12-18, 02:13 PM
My condolences, Moon Wolf. :smallfrown: I wish you, your friend, and your loved ones the best.

(I'm also posting to let everyone know that, due to administrative SNAFU, one of my exams got moved to Monday. The result is that I won't be able to post until after that exam. I'm really sorry for the continued delays...

If any of my characters are causing hold ups, feel free to godmode them or write around them as necessary.)

Heck, I can wait. You Ace that exam 13.:smallwink:

And I hope your friends is doing better Moon Wolf.

horngeek
2010-12-18, 02:15 PM
As said before, I'll be praying for her.

----

Um... am I needed anywhere?

Anyr
2010-12-18, 02:34 PM
As said before, I'll be praying for her.

----

Um... am I needed anywhere?

...Oh dear. Er, (just out of curiosity) you wouldn't happen to remember a certain breakfast conversation, would you? One with a man called Katsu? That's been left hanging for almost two weeks now? If so then yes, you're needed. On an unrelated note, I think you may owe Keveak an apology...

Mina Kobold
2010-12-18, 02:48 PM
...Oh dear. Er, (just out of curiosity) you wouldn't happen to remember a certain breakfast conversation, would you? One with a man called Katsu? That's been left hanging for almost two weeks now? If so then yes, you're needed. On an unrelated note, I think you may owe Keveak an apology...

No need, chap. I have just been too lazy/distracted to do something else with Saturday Katsu myself. I don't want to force people to apologise just because they missed a character of mine responding to their's in as busy a month as ol' December :smallsmile:

Might help that I honestly participate in a critical abundance of FFRPGs >.>

horngeek
2010-12-18, 02:50 PM
Okay, I'll need to look for the post in question... might have to wait until after my bike ride. Not sure.

Anyr
2010-12-19, 04:53 AM
"Huh. That felt kinda like an Out Of Body experience. Wonder why?"

Oh, sorry for the slight godmod there; It wasn't intentional. I just automatically assumed that you'd want to go straight to the office. Feel free to ignore any such leading posts in future.

13_CBS
2010-12-21, 07:01 PM
Whew! Exams are over. I'm flying across the Pacific tomorrow, so I need to pack for that, but meanwhile I'm going to try and catch up with what I've missed so far in the game.

Anyr mentioned that folks were going about doing non-plot related things. Does anyone wish for the big plot to start up again, or would you guys rather do something else?

ace_cipher_zero
2010-12-21, 08:51 PM
Big bad plot is fine with me, but if I have to wait longer that's fine too.

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-21, 08:53 PM
Either big bad plot, or make Sannin-sama do something to attract attention from her precious part-timer. :smalltongue:

InyutheBeatIs
2010-12-21, 08:55 PM
Either way works for me. Big Plot or just hanging around, depends. Although, for the sake of the game, perhaps Big Plot would be best.

Lillith
2010-12-21, 11:45 PM
Big plot sounds like fun. :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2010-12-22, 01:09 AM
Maybe we can do the Jason's mom scene as well and start Jason's training.

Rhydeble
2010-12-22, 02:50 AM
Seeing as Jane Jirou and Cale are nearly done with their MAHJONG game, I'm up for some plot there as soon as the game finishes.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-22, 06:09 AM
I'm up for plotsies as well. :smallbiggrin:

horngeek
2010-12-22, 06:22 AM
So am I!

Incidentally, I have multiple ideas for Tsubasa trying to deal with her emotional turning-off. :smallbiggrin:

Hmmm... now, to get one that actually makes sense. :smalltongue: Part of why this is hard is I haven't really figured out why it happens. I'm thinking her mind just shuts down her emotional centres to deal with the massive volume of wind that she controls, especially when she tries tricky stuff involving finesse (I know it doesn't work in terms of science, stop killing catgirls dammit!).

Any ideas from you guys? The other idea I've had is that it's a unique (or rather, she'd be Subject Zero- you know, the one in which they first identify it) condition related to her powers growing. You know, one of the things that might pop up due to Espers being new and not well known right now.

...I actually like this second idea better than the first. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-12-22, 07:12 AM
Well, we already have some whose brains are hurt because they haven't adjusted entirely to their powers (like the girl with improved senses) so maybe it's a yet-undiscovered variant of that?

Maybe her powers just take up so much of her concentration that other parts can't work while they're used?

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-22, 08:13 AM
Personally, I think Tsubasa's lack of emotion is just an "ordinary" form of super focus - when push comes to shove, she pushes emotions aside to do what must be done.

To be "cured", she only needs to bump into something distracting enough to break her concentration! :smallbiggrin:

"At your service!"

Anyr
2010-12-22, 05:02 PM
Seeing as Jane Jirou and Cale are nearly done with their MAHJONG game, I'm up for some plot there as soon as the game finishes.

The game will end whenever you want it to end; Cale is basically the only player left who still has an active role in it. Everyone else is just coasting until he either completes his hand (and wins) or runs out of turns (and loses).

Rhydeble
2010-12-23, 03:11 AM
I know, so I'm just waiting for the most dramatic moment for the game to be decided. (for example, right before PLOT kicks in)

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-23, 04:59 PM
Hey Keveak, where's Katsu's bio?

Mina Kobold
2010-12-23, 05:53 PM
Hey Keveak, where's Katsu's bio?

Here (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/characters:yamamoto-katsu)

Don't ask me to change anything, though. I have no idea what my Wikidot password is ^_^'

Note to self: Don't base entire Internet security on Comic Books, you read too many of them.

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-23, 05:55 PM
Eh, I just failed to spot him on the character list. :smallredface:

... where are Katsu and Tsubasa, by the way? I think I lost track some pages ago.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-23, 06:22 PM
Eh, I just failed to spot him on the character list. :smallredface:

... where are Katsu and Tsubasa, by the way? I think I lost track some pages ago.

An eating place. Somewhere.

That's how much I know.

It could be Tokiwadai for all I know :smalltongue:

Lillith
2010-12-24, 03:17 PM
I know, so I'm just waiting for the most dramatic moment for the game to be decided. (for example, right before PLOT kicks in)

I got nothing to add to this game at the moment. Cause that might result in Jane exploding and I don't want her to grow a spine just yet. :smalltongue:

13_CBS
2010-12-25, 11:23 PM
Bleeeeeh. Took me far too long to get internet here in Korea, and now my family insists on dragging me everywhere. :smallannoyed: I'll try my best to get a post in later tonight, but my mother has plans for today, so I can't guarantee anything...

(At least my plane managed to get across safe and sound. :smalleek:)

hanzo66
2010-12-26, 11:29 AM
Sorta not sure where other characters are right now. Should I just have my character RP by herself for now?

Anyr
2010-12-26, 12:02 PM
Sorta not sure where other characters are right now. Should I just have my character RP by herself for now?

That often helps. Moving to a new location might be a good idea as well; There's not much reason for most people to be around Tokiwadai on a saturday.

If you're looking for some interaction right now, though, I could always whip something up on the fly. Just say the word...

13_CBS
2010-12-27, 11:06 PM
If anyone would like to interact with Kenta, he's available. (And alone. :smallamused:)

Meanwhile, I'm going to have to give Zersk a poke...

Rhydeble
2010-12-28, 02:23 PM
I've been thinking about making a second lower-level (so less confident) character, anyone have some nice inspiration for me?

Silverraptor
2010-12-28, 03:10 PM
I've been thinking about making a second lower-level (so less confident) character, anyone have some nice inspiration for me?

Well, I was thinking of making a Dummy Skill Esper. However, she would be higher level than Jason so...>.>

shinnmoso
2010-12-29, 01:04 AM
Currently, I'm thinking of making a character as well. This time an Anti-Skill member (since there is only one according to the Wiki)

Name: Christopher Rockwell
Past Bio: A graduate from MIT in Particle Physics and a Former USMC Sergent, recently deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and stationed in FOB Cobra. He was his squad's leader and the squad's marksmen. Recently moved to Camp Schwab in Okinawa.

When Anti-skill was looking for new recruits online, he applied immediately. His dream was to see Academy City, up close.

With his combat experience in Iraq, he was chosen. He now trains new Judgement recruits with USMC style physical training and MCMAP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Martial_Arts_Program). He also trains new Anti-Skill recruits.

He also teaches (rmb- there are no full time military personnel in Index timeline) English and Advanced Physics in Tokiwadai Middle School.

Do I need to make it any longer or include any extra details?

Silverraptor
2010-12-29, 01:36 AM
Currently, I'm thinking of making a character as well. This time an Anti-Skill member (since there is only one according to the Wiki)

Past Bio: A graduate from MIT in Particle Physics and a Former USMC Sergent, recently deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and stationed in FOB Cobra. He was his squad's leader and the squad's marksmen. Recently moved to Camp Schwab in Okinawa.

When Anti-skill was looking for new recruits online, he applied immediately. His dream was to see Academy City, up close.

With his combat experience in Iraq, he was chosen. He now trains new Judgement recruits with USMC style physical training and MCMAP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Martial_Arts_Program). He also trains new Anti-Skill recruits.

He also teaches (rmb- there are no full time military personnel in Index timeline) English and Advanced Physics in Tokiwadai Middle School.

Who's the other Anti-Skill?

shinnmoso
2010-12-29, 01:59 AM
Who's the other Anti-Skill?

Ryan Williams apparently... (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/characters:ryan-williams)

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-29, 02:30 AM

First, welcome to RailgunITP!

Second, DIIEEEE...Wait, wrong forum. Here's your complimentary t-shirt.

As for Christopher, I put up an example character back in the 1st thread and I should probably put the template up in the OP, but here's the general guidelines of what you should fill out.

Name: Kasusa Sakurako
Aliases: None
Level: 4
Groups: Judgement

Description:

Appearance: Sakurako is a petite girl with red hair that she's dyed to a deeper crimson color out of vanity, which she wears down to just past her shoulders but tied back in a long pony-tail held in place by twin green orbs. She has an open and friendly face, making it easy to tell what she's thinking about most of the time, and generally complies with Tokiwaida's dress code about wearing the school uniform even on days off. Thus she's usually seen in the sweater-vest/dress shirt/skirt combo.

There are however a couple odd additions to her school uniform though. The first is a pair of bloomers underneath her skirt because teleporting one's self upside down could accidentally cause a fair bit of embarrassment. The second is the green armband signifying she's a member of Judgement, though she'll often stash this out of sight. Finally there are two bands around her upper thighs where numerous large metal spikes are stashed as well as a pair of Judgement handcuffs or two.

Sakurako possesses a feminine figure in the sense she has no reason to be overly jealous of most other girls, but she is also rather lean because of all the agility training she needs to practice.

Personality: Mischievous, vibrant, full of life, and a joy to be around. Sakurako takes a great delight in playing small practical jokes, not out of any intent to harm but because the reactions amuse her to no end. It's making her friends and associates slightly uncomfortable or embarrassed that's the draw for her, something that has gotten her beaten by her class-mates several times for 'accidentally' going too far. Not that she minds, sometimes you have to suffer consequences for your actions. The red-haired girl is also rather open about her attraction to other girls, but only in the sense she doesn't believe it's something shameful, something she should try to hide, or the only thing that makes up who she is. In her own words...

"So I prefer the fairer sex, so what? I also like greasy American food, but no one seems to care about that. Why should this be any different?"

That hasn't stopped her using this to tease others though...

On duty, she maintains the same cheerful manner but is much more serious, especially when it's come to someone who has harmed other people without a good cause. While not a pacifist, she believes violence doesn't solve too much on it's own and thus doesn't play around when subduing a suspect, seeking to end it quickly and cleanly with minimal people hurt.

At Tokiwadai, she's known for good grades (most of the time) and for tutoring younger students in her off time. Her room-mate has remarked that Sakurako spends most of the time in their room writing emails or preparing videos to send back to her family, especially her little sister.

Abilities

Esper Ability: Instant Teleportation

As a Level 4, Sakurako's ability to teleport objects begins to take on an almost fantastic turn. She is capable of teleporting an object into another object. Rather then end up destroying the object or being unable to perform the teleportation, the object she's teleporting will displace the surrounding material until it occupies the space Sakurako intends it to. In such a fashion she can teleport nails into the ground to pin an opponent or slice through cement and steel with a pane of regular glass. However, she's only capable of teleporting objects (not living creatures) that she can touch. In addition, the only objects she can teleport weigh below 285 to 295 pounds as long as she knows where the 'end point' is in relation to herself, and can be teleported up to 265 to 275 feet away. Thus she can teleport an object to somewhere she can't see, but it's difficult unless she was recently at that location.

However, her aim is not perfect and on an ill-aimed teleport, what she was sending could end up to five feet away from where she intended so she always takes a moment to collect herself before attempting to teleport something. In addition it requires intense focus and spatial awareness to get a jump down right, so if something disrupts her focus then it can take upwards of half a minute to get back into the right frame of mind. Even something is as seemingly minor as a good punch or kick will disrupt her concentration if she isn't prepared for it.

Additional Uses: She may also teleport herself at the same range (within sight) though she can now 'safely' teleport herself to locations she can't see up to fifty feet away. Though unless she has memorized the 'end point', she risks teleporting herself into an object and possibly harming herself, meaning shorter jumps are still safer.

Physical Traits:
-First Aid Training: Practically a prerequisite for any self-respecting Judgement member, especially if they have an active interest in helping people.
-Jujutsu: As useful as it is to teleport, she only carries around fifteen spikes at a time and she usually can't collect them again in the middle of a fight usually. To this end she's competent in jujutsu, but for actual fighting as opposed to tournament fighting.
-Good Singer: No application in fighting of any kind, Sakurako just likes to sing and is surprisingly good at it.

Mental Traits:
-Spatial Awareness: This is a must for her Instant Teleportation to work. If she doesn't know where she's sending something, she can't send it there.
-Good with Computers: Partially Judgement training, partially a skill she's acquired from living in Academy City. If something is low security she might be able to access it. If it's medium security then she can ATTEMPT to get access but will likely fail. High security computerized systems are so utterly beyond her it's not even funny.

Notable Equipment:
-14 steel spikes- Used to non-lethally detain a suspect.
-Handcuffs- Same use as above, used to detain a suspect until Anti-Skill can pick them up.

So more detail is always welcomed.

On the character himself..Hmm...Did he retire from the military? Anti-skill would be keen to pick up people with military experience, but not if they were still currently a member of another nation's military since it could cause all sorts of diplomatic problems if an American Marine, even if he was on Anti-Skill duty at the time, injured a Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc. student.

On that same line of thought, I'm not sure USMC physical training and combat training would be suitable for teaching to kids in Judgment. Keep in mind that Judgment isn't SUPPOSED to be a police force or any kind of armed group, they're (in theory) the equivalent of volunteer fire-men. All they are really taught is procedure and they are required to pass a physical exam. Anything beyond that is purely studied under that student's own initiative rather then something required. Teaching Anti-Skill recruits that sort of thing is fine though, they are the ones who are supposed to be handling the serious problems and such training would benefit them.

The only other detail that stands out to me is that he teaches two courses (two wildly different courses) at a level that got him hired by a very prestigious academy over other applicants. My suggestion would be to pick just one subject (in this case, I'd say English would be the best one for him) since he'd be teaching English to EVERY grade within Tokiwadai, not just one grade level like in the States (which could bog him down with paperwork and homework rather fast!). Other then that, doesn't look bad. :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2010-12-29, 04:33 AM
Ryan Williams apparently... (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/characters:ryan-williams)

Ya, I was just seeing if there was someone else you were refering to that snuck in behind my back. Just making sure you were talking about Ryan.

shinnmoso
2010-12-29, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the rough guide. I've created my character profile. Feedback is welcome!

Aliases: -none-
Level: 0
Groups: Anti-Skill, Staff of Tokiwadai

Description:

Appearance: Rockwell is the average retired American Marine. He is well built, with a “High and Tight” buzz cut.

Currently, he teaches as an English Teacher in Tokiwadai. However, he can cover science lessons due to him having a PhD in Particle Physics from MIT.

When teaching, he is like every other teaching staff. During summer, he wears a striped dress shirt with “Eagle Globe and Anchor” pin on his chest pocket and a pair of light brown trousers. The only difference between him and other staff in Tokiwadai is that he wears light brown, standard issue tan combat boot every day.

When training new recruits, he is seen wearing his standard issue SWAT style combat gear. His MICH helmet, Black Combat Uniform, Modular Tactical Vest is always on him during training of recruits. When inspected closely, there is not a single speck of dust or dirt on the uniform.

In everyday life though, he dresses nothing too out of the ordinary. He wears a light blue navy hoodie with “USMC” written on the back, a pair well fitting of Levi Jeans and a pair of New Balance Sneakers. Sometimes, he would wear a red Hoodie with “MIT” written on it.

Personality:
Cold and emotionless, that is how most people describe Rockwell. In reality though, he is a joyful and caring person. Rockwell enjoys volunteer work. Sometimes on his days off, he volunteers to look after child errors. He is also an Otaku. But a very light one.

He loves a good cup of Latte and a bagel with cream cheese. Fresh milk and cheese is never available at FOB Cobra, where he lived on MREs for three weeks at a time. He can instantly be put into a good mood when someone buys him these stuff.

He is also a natural team leader, thanks to his training in the USMC. He can motivate people who are unwilling to complete tasks to actively engaged in the task.

In training periods, he is seen as a tough and uncaring drill-sergeant. In reality though, that is his mask during training to keep is as close to combat situation possible. However, when a recruit is about the drop, Rockwell would run up to the recruit, and help him out physically. He would also provide extra training to recruits if they ask for it.

During Combat missions, he cares about the wellbeing of his fire team more than his safety. This trait has earned him a Purple Heart.

When teaching, he does care about his class. Often providing free one-on-one tutor classes to some students that are not catching up with work. However, he is very strict with Homework and not handing homework in. If a student deliberately forgets to complete set tasks, he would place the whole class in after-school detention for three hours, completing what Rockwell does every morning in recruit training.

Abilities

Esper Ability: -none-

Physical Traits:
-Quick Reflexes: Rockwell is one of the fastest reacting people in his regiment. He can disarm you before you even notice that your weapon is gone. By the time you realized your weapon is gone, you would be on the ground.
-Sepmper fu: Rockwell is well trained in the MCMAP. He is a Black Belt in the MCMAP, the highest level he can get as a sergeant in the USMC.
-Physically Fit: He is the fittest in his regiment in the USMC. Rockwell can run faster and longer than the average US Navy SEAL operator. He can also swim faster than the average SEAL operator
-Sharpshooting: During his earlier years in College, he is the most accurate shooter in the whole MIT campus. With the emphasis on accuracy in USMC training, he is a quick and accurate shooter. However, he is terrible with weapons that are not based on the AR-15/AR-18 series

Mental Traits:
-Toughness: Mentally, he is extremely tough, even under the stress of combat, with Insurgents spraying bullets over his helmet, he is able to identify the co-ordinates of the targets and call in an airstrike. He is also a tough nut to crack during interrogations.
-Good with Computers: Due to him studying in MIT, he has picked up a lot of hacking skills from his colleagues in MIT. He also watches Hacker Conventions online to protect his personal computer. However, these skills are useless in Academy City since most computers are harder to hack than the server in the Pentagon. But, this is not necessary since he is a very high ranking Anti-Skill.

Notable Equipment:

On Duty
- HK 417 Rifle Assaulter Model with ACOG scope attached- to take down targets at all ranges. Fires a more powerful 7.62 NATO round. Effective up to 900 meters. Known to over-penetrate targets but will go through standard body armor.
- HK45 Pistol with Surefire Flashlight- A more powerful pistol designed to incapacitate targets. Fires the .45ACP round. Effective 100 meters. Will not over-penetrate targets but will not go through Standard body armor.
- KA-BAR Knife- A ultra durable knife that he has since recruitment days. It has his name engraved on it. Effective very short range.
- Flashbang- A stun grenade that temporary disorients targets
- Pepper Spray- A incapacitating agent that causes temporary blindness on targets.
Off-duty
- Mobile Phone- Rockwell has a touch screen Android phone that he uses during combat missions and everyday life. But the reception of his provider is poor so he is planning to change to a local Japanese phone.
- Laptop- During teaching, this is almost a must have. He owns a Lenovo Thinkpad X-series Ultraportable that is usually laughed at by students.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-29, 11:38 AM
*snip*

Looks pretty good! The last piece of advice that I can think of is to divide his notable equipment into 'when on duty as Anti-Skill' and 'when in civilian clothes/teaching'. I only say this because we've been working under the assumption that since Academy City is rather close to Japan, that it's been working under Japan's restrictions on firearms and knives which are...hella stringent and make it really unlikely for tons of people to have guns (or powerful guns). So far there's one other character with a gun and it's plot-related about why he has it and how he managed to get it into Academy City.

shinnmoso
2010-12-29, 01:02 PM
Now that I've written an introduction to my character, I think I can start posting in the Rail IC forum.

Silverraptor
2010-12-29, 01:59 PM
Now that I've written an introduction to my character, I think I can start posting in the Rail IC forum.

Do you have anything in particular planned for that phone call?

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-29, 02:01 PM
Where did horngeek go? We need Tsubasa! XD

Maximum Zersk
2010-12-29, 04:09 PM
So I have no idea what's going on now. >.>

shinnmoso
2010-12-29, 09:27 PM
Do you have anything in particular planned for that phone call?

I was hoping someone would finish it. But if people are asking... Anti-Skill Duty Calls

Or put it simpily.. He forgot there was supposed to be a training session for new Judgement recruits.

Lillith
2010-12-30, 04:33 AM
I'm waiting for either Anyr or Rhydeble to finish this Mahjong game or the plot to pick up.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-30, 07:02 AM
And Hinata sees her confusion as the perfect excuse to take her to a wild dance. He himself is forced to remain mostly upright due to Katsu crouching on his shoulder, but that doesn't prevent him from first bending Tsubasa backwards over his arm, then suddenly stepping to the side while holding her hand, forcing her to do spin around unless she wants to sprain her wrist.

Katsu is not even touching Hinata at the moment (he was leaning on his shoulder earlier, though.) How did you get the idea he was crouching in his shoulder? ^_^'

I mean, could he even do that? It sounds pretty bad for Hinata's shoulder.

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-30, 10:05 AM
Yay, I noticed the mental picture didn't make any sense and don't really know where I got it, either. I just didn't notice it until I'd already shut my computer down for the night and went to sleep. :smallredface:

horngeek
2010-12-31, 06:31 AM
...O.o

I find myself expecting this to turn into a full-scale kidnapping. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-12-31, 06:53 AM
I find myself wondering why Katsu isn't doing anything.

Then I remember that he isn't exactly down to earth or any other planet in the solar system and everything makes sense*:smalltongue:

*If you're insane that is, otherwise it makes less sense.

ace_cipher_zero
2010-12-31, 01:05 PM
Callos, and all:

I am very very veeeery sorry for leaving you hanging. Thought I had posted already, guess it didn't go through... but that's just about what I said (though maybe without so much Kamina in his voice, but it was still powerful).

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-31, 07:55 PM
"Have you noticed? If you lowered your voice just a bit, you'd sound just like me!"

... the obvious corollary would be that Hinata doing his female impersonation would sound girlier than Tsubasa.

"I'm not just more a man than you could ever hope to be, I'm more of a woman as well! <3"

Mina Kobold
2010-12-31, 08:04 PM
... the obvious corollary would be that Hinata doing his female impersonation would sound girlier than Tsubasa.

"I'm not just more a man than you could ever hope to be, I'm more of a woman as well! <3"

There's acytually more differences than just the octave between the genders.

So he may just sound differently girly.

By the way, can Katsu follow them? He's kind of being all sad at being left behind with no Winter Wonderland. :smallfrown::smalltongue:

Frozen_Feet
2010-12-31, 08:58 PM
There's acytually more differences than just the octave between the genders.

So he may just sound differently girly.

Oh, I know that. For example the main difference between Hinata's casual voice and the voice he uses while cross-dressing is not pitch, but the fact that he strives to tone down resonance and other effects typical to male voices. :smallwink:

It's just that, in my mind, characters with same speech color sound similar. Of course there'd be differences, which I decided in Hinata's and Tsubasa's case would be that they speak in different pitches. (Suggesting their voices cover different octaves, with Tsubasa's probably reaching higher and Hinata's reaching lower.) The implication still is that Hinata sounds either particularly girly or Tsubasa particularly boyish, and since Hinata's practiced to sound even more girly, well... XD

By the way, can Katsu follow them? He's kind of being all sad at being left behind with no Winter Wonderland. :smallfrown::smalltongue:
Well, it's not like he couldn't catch up with them. :smalltongue::smallwink:

hanzo66
2011-01-01, 10:44 AM
OK, erm... At this point I don't know what to do with my character Avery right now. Last I left her, she went to the bakery to get something to eat.

So erm... There's someone available...

Anyr
2011-01-01, 10:55 AM
OK, erm... At this point I don't know what to do with my character Avery right now. Last I left her, she went to the bakery to get something to eat.

So erm... There's someone available...

Not only is there someone available, but they've actually already responded; The cafe's owner (Yoshikawa Hitomi) greeted Avery when she entered. At this very moment she's hovering nearby, waiting to dispense delicious delicacies on demand.

horngeek
2011-01-01, 04:24 PM
...you do realise that Tsubasa is about to let off a massive wind blast, right?

Just saying. :smalltongue:

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-01, 05:15 PM
"... but that's such a horribly unequal response!"

"A gentle slap on the face, on the other hand..."

hanzo66
2011-01-02, 12:51 AM
Not only is there someone available, but they've actually already responded; The cafe's owner (Yoshikawa Hitomi) greeted Avery when she entered. At this very moment she's hovering nearby, waiting to dispense delicious delicacies on demand.

Whoop, might have missed it or it might've happened during writing. Apologies!
I know I apologize a lot. Inner inferiority complex of mine.

shinnmoso
2011-01-02, 03:18 AM
Sorry for not posting for so long. Got bogged down by Christmas homework.

Anyways. Now that Rockwell is in Patrol. Anyone mind attacking him?

Anyr
2011-01-02, 11:26 AM
Sorry for not posting for so long. Got bogged down by Christmas homework.

Anyways. Now that Rockwell is in Patrol. Anyone mind attacking him?

What sort of attack did you have in mind? Offhand, it's hard to think of an appropriate enemy which meets all the conditions you specified (elite/stupid enough to attack guarded, public area in broad daylight; Attack somehow predicted in advance, but without specifics). Then again, maybe that's just me. Does anyone else have any decent ideas which fit the template?

13_CBS
2011-01-07, 07:21 AM
I'm afraid to have to announce that I must start pulling out of Academy City ITP.

I'm a college undergrad at the moment, and I've recently made the decision to try and apply for Law graduate schools. The process is an intensive one, I'm told--law schools are competitive, and there's also the LSATs. This means that I must start preparing for graduate school this upcoming semester, including studying for LSAT, looking at application essays, and bothering professors about recommendations, on top of keeping up with school work in a semester that's going to be tougher than any I've had so far.

Pulling out of this game isn't a choice that I'm making lightly, or with any joy. I helped Callos start this game, and back in summer when we made it I was hoping to stick with it until the day it died...but as I've discovered this past year, my plans go to hell on a distressingly regular basis, not to mention the fact that I hadn't decided on law back in the summer. As painful as this choice is, however, it is one that I must make. Discussing the prospect of going to a law school with my parents this winter break has shown me that I'm already a great deal behind.

Any free time I have left will have to go to a personal project that I've planned for a long time now, one that I hope to make my life's work if (or even alongside) my prospective law career explodes on the metaphorical landing pad.

I'm not going to pull out of this game immediately; I still have a week or two before school kicks in, and I'm going to try to wrap up the current (unfortunately fledgling) plotline ASAP, hopefully with enough hooks so that the rest of you can come up with something better. After that, I'll pass on any remaining characters I have to anyone who wishes to take them.

I'm sorry I have to do this folks, but it must be done. :smallfrown: I've simply run out of time for this game, and I have no right to stifle it with my continued presence.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-07, 07:28 AM
Awwww. Just when I started to hope you might be coming back.

Oh well. I hope you'll do well in the applications. :smallsmile:

shinnmoso
2011-01-07, 09:02 AM
What sort of attack did you have in mind? Offhand, it's hard to think of an appropriate enemy which meets all the conditions you specified (elite/stupid enough to attack guarded, public area in broad daylight; Attack somehow predicted in advance, but without specifics). Then again, maybe that's just me. Does anyone else have any decent ideas which fit the template?

Hmm.. It's up to you. But he's moving into a more tight area, area without movement space. Also, in the Winter WOnderland, I guess he would be distracted by the huge amount of Music and people dancing around. Making a perfect ambush point :)

So if someone attacks from behind, he would almost instantly be caught off guard. And the fact that he is far from his partner, making it hard for the partner to help.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-07, 09:15 AM
A big, BIG shame you have to leave the game, 13. :smallfrown:

But all hopes that you do great in Law School, there's no way they won't let you in. :smallsmile:

And wow, you have a lifework planned? That's pretty neat.

Lillith
2011-01-08, 02:55 PM
Good luck with school and your project 13! You will be missed. :smallfrown:

shaddy_24
2011-01-08, 04:13 PM
Hello, found this recently and it looks very interesting. I wasn't planning to join in since I'm really busy with school right now, but I've had a character concept stuck in my head for the past few days and this seemed like the sort of place where it would be able to work. I'd like to run the idea past everyone and see what you think. I've read through the IC thread, and a bunch of the OOC threads, so I've got a fairly good idea of how it works, even if I'm not familiar with the setting itself beyond this.

His power would be that his brain functions much faster than other people. His neurons fire about twice as fast as normal. The way I'm picturing it right now is that he's had this power for a long time, probably making him a Gem Stone, but it was never really realized because there's nothing externally obvious about it. It wasn't until he was getting an MRI for unrelated reasons (that I haven't quite determined yet) that anyone noticed this, and even then he wasn't immediately identified as an esper. It wasn't until his parents traveled to Academy City to get this checked out that it was discovered, and so they decided to take up permanent residence and enrole him in one of the local schools.

The side effects of this power (aside from him simply being of genius level) include allowing him to read incredibly fast (upwards of 20,000 words per minute), gives him a near photographic memory, and makes him appear very perceptive (since his mind works so fast, he simply can analyse everything he sees in more detail). As a couple downsides, it means that his attention span appears very short as he runs though a topic to completion in his mind long before anyone else does, and he doesn't know how to turn it off. He can suffer from severe migrains due to the constant activity, and he needs a very high calorie diet to supply the neccesary energy to keep this up. The combination of these caused him to nearly be diagnosed with some variation of ADD, since he couldn't maintain focus in classes, though he did very well with tests and assignments.

He lived in Japan before coming to Academy City, and has been advanced a few grades (basically, he should be at the beginning of middle school, but is instead in 3rd year). In an effort to keep himself destracted, he works out fairly often and looks for unusual people to hang around. The first gives him an outlet besides thinking, and the second basically keeps him on his toes. The more unusual a person is, the less likely it is for him to figure them out and lose interest.

Basically, I see him as someone who is almost too smart. He can't stop thinking, so he looks for things to distract him from it and keep him from getting bored. He'd be quite fond of mysteries and complex stories, as something to hold his attention for a while as well.

Wow, that was a lot more than I intended. Anyway, thoughts? I know there are people opposed to having too many Gem Stones, and I can change that aspect of it if you don't like it. It depends on if it would make sense for him to not be able to control his power if he'd developed it in the Powers Program.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-08, 04:22 PM
Interesting concept. :smallsmile:

Only problem I have is that Katsu already have that power as a side effect of his super-speed.

As in, he can read incredibly fast, doesn't pay attention because he rarely goes at normal speed (even when he seems to he is probably at least at 101%) and overthinks stuff.

His thinking usually ends in a lot of random guesses that are less likely than a tornado suddenly sprouting over Tokyo and dissapearing after less than two seconds, though.

shaddy_24
2011-01-08, 05:22 PM
Interesting concept. :smallsmile:

Only problem I have is that Katsu already have that power as a side effect of his super-speed.

As in, he can read incredibly fast, doesn't pay attention because he rarely goes at normal speed (even when he seems to he is probably at least at 101%) and overthinks stuff.

His thinking usually ends in a lot of random guesses that are less likely than a tornado suddenly sprouting over Tokyo and dissapearing after less than two seconds, though.

Hmm, yeah, it didn't occur to me that they might overlap in that way. I think there'd be some differences in how they're portrayed though, as my character would be much more controlled than Katsu. He's not very excitable or energetic the way Katsu is, instead he's just very focused and constantly changes what he's focused on. He's a little based of Mordin Solis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPeA01Mw30) from Mass Effect 2 in how he talks and acts.

Anyr
2011-01-09, 08:39 AM
(I don't know the powers uinvolved so if Katsu shouldn't be able to notice him he won't :smallsmile:)

No, it's fine. He's just unobtrusive, rather than unnoticeable.

Anyr
2011-01-09, 02:16 PM
Double post.

OOC: Is Jane supposed to be able to see the stairs or not?

Not by default, no. They're not necessarily completely invisible, but someone would have to be watching carefully in order to see them.

Also, while I really like the idea of watching this scene play out, it's been over a week since Rhydeble's last post. Are you content with waiting it out, or would you prefer to skip past it and get back into the action again?

Rhydeble
2011-01-10, 03:13 AM
I was actually waiting for Anyr to let Jirou react, but i'll write on with the scene.

As for the stairs, They are see-through, but you do see something's there.

Silverraptor
2011-01-10, 01:37 PM
What to do with Jason... What to do with him...?

Lillith
2011-01-10, 06:06 PM
Do we have a plan of what to do with Jane, Jirou and Cale at this moment?

Anyr
2011-01-10, 07:10 PM
Do we have a plan of what to do with Jane, Jirou and Cale at this moment?

Not to my knowledge; So far we've mostly just been letting the scenes play out naturally. Why, was there any particular direction you wanted to take things?

InyutheBeatIs
2011-01-11, 02:26 AM
Well guys, I believe we have hit a *smacks self* DON'T SAY IT!! :smallfurious:

:smalltongue:

Anyways, Hajime is still a bit lonely at his workshop. Of course, he could get out of said workshop if that's what it'll take...

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-11, 02:44 AM
And I'm still waiting for horngeek.

Silverraptor
2011-01-11, 12:30 PM
I just don't know what to do with Jason. Currently, he's just playing at the arcade.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-11, 12:35 PM
And I'm still waiting for horngeek.

And I'm waiting for you.

Now we just need to have Horngeek waiting on someone who is waiting on one of us such that it will be an eternal circle of waiting. :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2011-01-11, 12:39 PM
And I'm waiting for you.

Now we just need to have Horngeek waiting on someone who is waiting on one of us such that it will be an eternal circle of waiting. :smalltongue:

I'll bring the popcorn!:smallbiggrin:

Anyr
2011-01-11, 01:01 PM
Has anyone tried PM'ing horngeek yet? He doesn't always keep up to date on these threads.

Lillith
2011-01-11, 05:58 PM
Not to my knowledge; So far we've mostly just been letting the scenes play out naturally. Why, was there any particular direction you wanted to take things?

Not really but I doubt the trio would actually find anything unless the DM says so. And 13 is leaving the rp soon so, who's going to advance the plot?

Anyr
2011-01-11, 07:39 PM
Not really but I doubt the trio would actually find anything unless the DM says so. And 13 is leaving the rp soon so, who's going to advance the plot?

Freeform RPs like this don't really have DMs in the traditional sense. Sometimes players will appoint themselves as the controllers of specific plots, but that doesn't make them 'higher ranking' than the ones who don't. The story is a collective effort, built by consensus. Players take on as much or as little of the responsibility for that as they like, so long as nobody minds them doing it. So while 13_CBS's departure might mean the end of the robots, that doesn't mean that the three investigators are going to be suspended in plot limbo. The 'DM' of any particular part of the game can change at any second, if there even is one at all.

In the end the distinction between 'player' and 'storyteller' is mostly just a matter of perspective. Take me, for example: If you were asked, what part would you say I played in this game? Well, obviously I'm Kiyoshi Jirou, wannabe thug and Esper...

...But I'm also the Chief Administrator of Tokiwadai Academy; And the strange young man who's currently starting a riot in a crowded downtown area; and also a caustic teenage girl standing in a cafe doorway hurling abuse; Oh, and an anonymous Mahjong player of no real importance; And I'm also all the people who stared at Avery's coat as she walked past them. And maybe, in the fullness of time, I'll be a giant bird who swoops down and attacks Jirou, Jane and Cale as they reach the top of the staircase. Or maybe not. Who knows?

So, in answer to your question: The plot will most likely be advanced by a mixture of sudden inspiration, scribbled notes, hasty compromises and a whole lot of talking by...Well, everyone who's even vaguely interested. Welcome to the wonders of freeform gaming...

Lillith
2011-01-13, 05:07 AM
Well I could come up with a plotline. Though that would probably involve creating some NPC's and people would have to be interested in it. How goes the procedure of starting it? Could I just say 'hey everybody I got a plot idea, who wants to join?' or do I have to get it approved first and so everybody knows what is going to happen etc? Also I'd need to know how exactly Esper abilities work. Is it something in the brain that gets activated?

13_CBS
2011-01-13, 03:10 PM
Well I could come up with a plotline. Though that would probably involve creating some NPC's and people would have to be interested in it. How goes the procedure of starting it? Could I just say 'hey everybody I got a plot idea, who wants to join?' or do I have to get it approved first and so everybody knows what is going to happen etc?

I can give you a few pointers on crafting RP plots if you'd like...

1) I think Callos is the closest thing we have to a "DM" in this game, insofar as he's the one who started it, etc. You may wish to tell him about your ideas for a plot to work things out.

2) I tend to follow Innis Cabal's philosophy on the publicity of game plots; if it involves suspense from surprise (plot twists, etc.), then keep the plot a secret from the players, while asking everyone to trust the plot maker to not mess everything up. However, if you're worried that the other players won't be able to follow your plot unless you tell them what's going on and what is going to happen, feel free to tell everyone what the plot is. But be warned that, by doing so, you'll obviously make it almost impossible to have twists and (pleasant) surprises.

3) Player interest shouldn't be too big of a problem. If the plot you make is going to be the primary one for this game, then most people will probably follow it since at least a good portion of the other players will already be following the plot. What fuels the game is player interaction, and the best way to get those interactions is to place your characters where other characters are, so...

4) If possible, plots that can include as many players as possible (ideally ALL players) are good for Freeform RPs like this one. A left out player is a bored player, and a bored player is likely to leave games. You don't have to include all CHARACTERS, however.

If you'd like to pick up where my plot leaves off/was supposed to go, I can PM you my ideas. At the very least they may give you an idea or two for your own plot.

Also I'd need to know how exactly Esper abilities work. Is it something in the brain that gets activated?

That's a question I'd like to have answered myself. :smallconfused: My understanding is that people with psychic powers generate AIM fields, and somehow or another that lets them manipulate matter/energy/space-time. Kasanip might be able to tell us more, but she's...a bit busy nowadays, it seems.

Also, Silver and Lillith: please check your PMs when you have the time. :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2011-01-13, 03:27 PM
Also, Silver and Lillith: please check your PMs when you have the time. :smallbiggrin:

I did. Sent a reply.

Oh, and if you're all wondering why I suddenly have a super awesome avatar right now, just go and ask Kasanip.:smallbiggrin: She made me it for Anime Week.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-13, 03:32 PM
I did. Sent a reply.

Oh, and if you're all wondering why I suddenly have a super awesome avatar right now, just go and ask Kasanip.:smallbiggrin: She made me it for Anime Week.

There was an Anime Week!?

Why did nobody tell me!?!

*Realises avatar is already in a crappy Anime-esque style*

It's a matter of principles*!

*No idea if I used that word right, it basically means it doesn't matter but could in the Northern tongue of flip-flopping-cold-land.

Lillith
2011-01-13, 04:39 PM
Sorry 13, was at Aikido practice and been studying all day. Reply send. :smallbiggrin: And well I have a plot idea which I could work out, but it has nothing to do with robots. :smalltongue: But if Esper powers have something to do with AIM field I might be able to work with that.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-01-13, 06:43 PM
2) I tend to follow Innis Cabal's philosophy on the publicity of game plots; if it involves suspense from surprise (plot twists, etc.), then keep the plot a secret from the players, while asking everyone to trust the plot maker to not mess everything up. However, if you're worried that the other players won't be able to follow your plot unless you tell them what's going on and what is going to happen, feel free to tell everyone what the plot is. But be warned that, by doing so, you'll obviously make it almost impossible to have twists and (pleasant) surprises.

This, but I take a slightly different approach myself. That being, talk to the people who would be most affected by the plot and work things out with them (even if it might ruin the surprise for them) and put up a public 'summary' of what you CAN share with everyone. That way people who might want to participate in it have a general idea of what's they are getting into. Communication is key. :smallsmile: But glad to see you have a plot idea.

Silverraptor
2011-01-15, 02:36 PM
So, when are we going to get Jason involved?

Anyr
2011-01-15, 02:40 PM
So, when are we going to get Jason involved?

Whenever you like. I think we'd assumed that he'd be coming to the group rather than the reverse, but we can do it either way.

Silverraptor
2011-01-15, 03:03 PM
Whenever you like. I think we'd assumed that he'd be coming to the group rather than the reverse, but we can do it either way.

No, I thought someone was going to drag him away or something...

Lillith
2011-01-15, 04:30 PM
There's three people floating in the air, I think that would get some attention from someone who just arrived new to the city. :smalltongue: Maybe Jason might notice. :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2011-01-15, 04:52 PM
There's three people floating in the air, I think that would get some attention from someone who just arrived new to the city. :smalltongue: Maybe Jason might notice. :smallwink:

And currently he's in the arcade, playing one of the hardest and most complex games with a crowd watching. I don't think he'll be paying attention.:smalltongue:

Bago!!!
2011-01-15, 06:31 PM
Is there room for a relatively newcomer? Cause this thread intrigues me.

Anyr
2011-01-15, 06:39 PM
Is there room for a relatively newcomer? Cause this thread intrigues me.

Absolutely; Just post your prospective character in this thread and we can go from there. If you need help at any point, don't hesitate to ask.

Bago!!!
2011-01-15, 07:13 PM
Heres a question that I could use some help with concerning powers and the 0-5 levels.

I haven't seen Rail so I am trying to figure out how the System Scan works. I checked the wiki, and I don't know how psychic powers concerning things like regeneration would be measured or tested in the five categories.

Or am I missing something?

Anyr
2011-01-15, 07:32 PM
You don't really need to worry about your character's scores in the individual categories. There's not a single person in this RP who has chosen to list their exact System Scan results, because such statistics are almost never relevant. All that the average character sheet requires as far as official power classification goes is the overall Level of the power. If you're not sure about that either, don't worry; Just focus on writing a good description of what the power actually does. Once we have that, estimating the official Level should be easy.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-16, 02:02 AM
Jane and Hinata just got to meet at some point. Sheer awkwardness of the prospect makes me laugh! XD

InyutheBeatIs
2011-01-16, 01:23 PM
Jane and Hinata just got to meet at some point. Sheer awkwardness of the prospect makes me laugh! XD

I'm interested in what Jane will pick up in that person's head...

I must assume the worst. :smalleek:

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-16, 01:35 PM
"Pick up?"

*giggle*

More like his thoughts will squirm their way onto her lap and make her scratch them behind the ear. :smallwink:

Lillith
2011-01-16, 01:57 PM
"Uh......." *backs away slowly* "CALE!" *runs*

:smallwink: I think Jane wouldn't know what to do. Though you'd have to get her to read his mind first. :smalltongue:

horngeek
2011-01-16, 02:36 PM
Tsubasa would probably creep her out more if they met now.

There are some, tiny emotions there. Otherwise, pure logic.

Also, Frozen? Reply, please. :smalltongue:

Bago!!!
2011-01-16, 04:31 PM
Would a power that affects AIM be a bit overpowering if not outright impossible?

I read somewhere that an esper would become stronger after killing clones of another. Is it the act of killing or is it the battle itself that would invoke this increase in power?

What are some of the differences between a Gemstone and a normal Esper? Normal Espers get their powers usually?

Is Academy City open to all or is it rather secluded?

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-16, 05:09 PM
Would a power that affects AIM be a bit overpowering if not outright impossible?

We're generally leery of such "metapowers", but it'd be impossible to say for sure without knowing the specifics. What kind of an effect do you have in mind?

I read somewhere that an esper would become stronger after killing clones of another. Is it the act of killing or is it the battle itself that would invoke this increase in power?

You're referring to Accelerator. Accelerator is Bad Example. However, it seems to me it was the practice he gained using his powers that made him go up levels; cilling the Sister Clones was merely a method of practice.

What are some of the differences between a Gemstone and a normal Esper? Normal Espers get their powers usually?

Gemstones are born with their powers, are sometimes found outside Academy City limits, are globally sought out and generally have powers that defy normal classification or rules of ESPers. We're trying to avoid having many of them. Normal ESPers gain their powers via Power Curriculum, which consists of various excersizes and medical procedures to awaken latent psionic power. You can only enter and go through the Curriculum in Academy City. A "normal" ESPer's power is based around control over one natural phenomenom (such as gravity or electromagnetism), from which all their potential "other" powers are derived (such as flying or shaping metal).

Is Academy City open to all or is it rather secluded?

Somewhat secluded; It's a nation unto its own, but it has a lot of people coming to it from the nearby areas (Japan) and potentially other countries. There are many things that are only commonplace (or exist) within Academy City limits, so someone coming from elsewhere would be in for a culture shock.

Bago!!!
2011-01-16, 05:28 PM
We're generally leery of such "metapowers", but it'd be impossible to say for sure without knowing the specifics. What kind of an effect do you have in mind? It is a metapower, isn't it? I hadn't thought about that. Usually better about that. :smallsigh:
The kind of effect I had in mind was the fluctuation of AIM, leading to powers switching to overwhelming to underwhelming, and as a whole, uncontrollable.
This is just one of the powers I am thinking about. The others are self-cellular manipulation, and telekinetic cut.

You're referring to Accelerator. Accelerator is Bad Example. However, it seems to me it was the practice he gained using his powers that made him go up levels; cilling the Sister Clones was merely a method of practice.Makes sense.

Gemstones are born with their powers, are sometimes found outside Academy City limits, are globally sought out and generally have powers that defy normal classification or rules of ESPers. We're trying to avoid having many of them. Normal ESPers gain their powers via Power Curriculum, which consists of various excersizes and medical procedures to awaken latent psionic power. You can only enter and go through the Curriculum in Academy City. A "normal" ESPer's power is based around control over one natural phenomenom (such as gravity or electromagnetism), from which all their potential "other" powers are derived (such as flying or shaping metal).This explains alot concerning powers, the curriculum and . Thanks!

Somewhat secluded; It's a nation unto its own, but it has a lot of people coming to it from the nearby areas (Japan) and potentially other countries. There are many things that are only commonplace (or exist) within Academy City limits, so someone coming from elsewhere would be in for a culture shock.Cool, I'll keep this all in mind as I work on the character.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-16, 05:50 PM
I think you should take a look at the power list (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/powers-list) in the wiki to see what powers are already in the game - mainly because telekinesis and cellular control fall into "no-brainer" category of power and are largely reserved already. The wiki has more information on the setting too, and you can see all the existing characters.

Silverraptor
2011-01-16, 06:14 PM
Hey 13, I don't see Kenta on the wiki. Any reason why?

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-16, 07:00 PM
Hinata frowns. "Um, don't take offense about this, but I think those 'experts' are stupid", he says. "Ever heard the proverb... uh, how does it go? 'Don't go further than the sea to fish.' It's about not going to unnecessary lenght to achieve a goal."

I swear, it's a perfectly common proverb in Finland! It's your fault for never hearing it before! ~_~;;

Bago!!!
2011-01-16, 10:21 PM
I think you should take a look at the power list (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/powers-list) in the wiki to see what powers are already in the game - mainly because telekinesis and cellular control fall into "no-brainer" category of power and are largely reserved already. The wiki has more information on the setting too, and you can see all the existing characters.

I have looked at the list, and I haven't seen anything for the telekinetic power I was imagining (basically making an edge instead of a barrier or anything of that sort).

As for Cellular Control, I was thinking strength and regeneration as the basic concepts, both of which I haven't seen.

This reminds me, do powers grow from over time, or could they grow in large 'turning points'? And could these turning points affect how or what additional uses or increases in level do?

horngeek
2011-01-16, 10:25 PM
I have looked at the list, and I haven't seen anything for the telekinetic power I was imagining (basically making an edge instead of a barrier or anything of that sort).

As for Cellular Control, I was thinking strength and regeneration as the basic concepts.
This reminds me, do powers grow from over time, or could they grow in large 'turning points'? And could these turning points affect how or what additional uses or increases in level do?

I think a mixture of both, on the last point.

I intend for Tsubasa to grow to Level 5 at some point, and I intend it to be a mostly Turning Point event, but some would have it as a gradual thing as well.

Bago!!!
2011-01-16, 10:32 PM
I think a mixture of both, on the last point.

I intend for Tsubasa to grow to Level 5 at some point, and I intend it to be a mostly Turning Point event, but some would have it as a gradual thing as well.

How about jump starting from 0 to 1?

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-17, 05:28 AM

As for Cellular Control, I was thinking strength and regeneration as the basic concepts, both of which I haven't seen.

That's because you haven't been looking far enough. :smallwink: Check invidual character bios - many of them have expanded uses for the basic powers. Tsubasa's power can be used to create a "Razor wind" which would effectively be what you think with "Telekinetic cut". If you want to stretch it, Sakurako, Jirou and maybe Cale's powers could be used for the same thing. Hinata's power, on higher levels, would extend to (slight) levels of super-strenght and healing. Likewise, Kanazuchi Kazumi power is related though not exactly the same (super durability).

(Note: at a quick glance, the list is incomplete. It's missing Tsubasa's (Kinetic control over air molecules) and Avery's (Disease creation).)

Both. There are some artificial measures that can create a "turning point" to either direction (powers don't always grow, they can weaken too.) Mostly powers grow rather smoothly as the user practices and becomes more familiar with them; theoretically any ESPer could become level 5. It's just that it would take equal obsession as with mastering any other skill (like, say, playing guitar or running); not everyone is cut to devote that much time and effort to their powers.

As for the second question: levels are an abstract construct. They mostly tell how wide scale a power has, they don't really tell anything else of the power. It'd be better to think it this way: "sometimes additional uses or increase in power warrants an increase in level". Levels are a grade you get for existing powers. Theoretically, a "turning point" might allow additional uses for a power or make it stronger - as long as the additional effects are in line with the basic premise of the power.

How about jump starting from 0 to 1?

Not much of a jump start, actually - level 1 is still pretty weak. The transition from level 0 to level 1 is the difference of a power having easily measurable effect.

horngeek
2011-01-17, 05:34 AM
Doesn't Level 0 just mean 'has potential for power, can't actually use it'? :smallconfused:

Rhydeble
2011-01-17, 05:38 AM
Doesn't Level 0 just mean 'has potential for power, can't actually use it'? :smallconfused:

Well not entirely. for example, there's a guy in the anime that has auto-regenerating, but its not perfect, so he really doesn't want to measure it, so its classified as 0

horngeek
2011-01-17, 05:48 AM
Well, yeah, and then there's Imagine Breaker, which they can't measure (I'd classify it as Level 5 or even 6, actually. Why? Because it cancels out Level 5 powers and hasn't come up against something it can't cancel) so Touma is classified as Level 0 officially.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-17, 08:52 AM

I understood it as "Anybody without measurable powers regardless of whether they are capable of getting any or not"

Seemed that way considering the ESP-haters, I might be wrong, though. :smallsmile:

Anyr
2011-01-17, 01:09 PM
By the way, anyone interested in becoming part of the budding vigilante team is welcome to do so. Whether it's as a new member or one of the original founders, any and all misfit rebels with a cause will be graciously received...

...Well, maybe not all of them. Even so, they're far less picky than most.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-01-17, 03:40 PM
Well, yeah, and then there's Imagine Breaker, which they can't measure (I'd classify it as Level 5 or even 6, actually. Why? Because it cancels out Level 5 powers and hasn't come up against something it can't cancel) so Touma is classified as Level 0 officially.

Touma's power exists outside of the leveling system and may very well not even be a psychic ability so level 0 is perfectly fine for him. More to the point the BBEG of the series only says Touma is necessary to his schemes IN ADDITION to a Level 6 Esper, which implies that Touma is either not an Esper or his ability wouldn't qualify as a Level 6. Possibly both and his Imagine Breaker is merely unique.

And Level 0 are those without abilities, those with the potential but have never developed the ability, or those who's ability has such a small measurable effect that it's practically non-existent.

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 05:48 PM
That's because you haven't been looking far enough. :smallwink: Check invidual character bios - many of them have expanded uses for the basic powers. Tsubasa's power can be used to create a "Razor wind" which would effectively be what you think with "Telekinetic cut". If you want to stretch it, Sakurako, Jirou and maybe Cale's powers could be used for the same thing. Hinata's power, on higher levels, would extend to (slight) levels of super-strenght and healing. Likewise, Kanazuchi Kazumi power is related though not exactly the same (super durability).
Wait, so I gotta come up with a power that not only is different in play style but it can't be similiar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well? :smalleek:
Well that trumps just all of my current (and practical) ideas and then some. :smallfrown:
Back to the drawing board. :smallsigh:

Both. There are some artificial measures that can create a "turning point" to either direction (powers don't always grow, they can weaken too.) Mostly powers grow rather smoothly as the user practices and becomes more familiar with them; theoretically any ESPer could become level 5. It's just that it would take equal obsession as with mastering any other skill (like, say, playing guitar or running); not everyone is cut to devote that much time and effort to their powers. I haven't seen a case where a power diminishes though in the wiki. Could you point me to an example of this happening?
Anyway, what if an esper was put in a life-death situation. I know this wouldn't make every esper make a leap in power, but could it be possible they would grow in a level or two (within reason).

As for the second question: levels are an abstract construct. They mostly tell how wide scale a power has, they don't really tell anything else of the power. It'd be better to think it this way: "sometimes additional uses or increase in power warrants an increase in level". Levels are a grade you get for existing powers. Theoretically, a "turning point" might allow additional uses for a power or make it stronger - as long as the additional effects are in line with the basic premise of the power. Let me clarify my question. Could the turning point itself affect how the esper's power develops or diminishes. For example, if an esper went through a training regiment, would his powers theoritically be stable while if another one had artificial power ups that caused his powers to make great unstable leaps?

Not much of a jump start, actually - level 1 is still pretty weak. The transition from level 0 to level 1 is the difference of a power having easily measurable effect. Alright.

Silverraptor
2011-01-17, 06:00 PM
As I recall, Uiharu's ability is able to keep objects at their same temperature. She however can not change the temperature at will, and she can't keep really hot temperatures to maintain because they hurt to hold onto. And she's a level 1.

Maybe this will help you with your character.

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 06:07 PM
As I recall, Uiharu's ability is able to keep objects at their same temperature. She however can not change the temperature at will, and she can't keep really hot temperatures to maintain because they hurt to hold onto. And she's a level 1.

Maybe this will help you with your character.

Well I am currently looking through ALL of the character profiles to see what application of use are available.
So before I come up with basic power, I gotta see if anyone else has taken possible uses in it. :smallannoyed:

Callos_DeTerran
2011-01-17, 06:33 PM
Wait, so I gotta come up with a power that not only is different in play style but it can't be similiar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well? :smalleek:
Well that trumps just all of my current (and practical) ideas and then some. :smallfrown:
Back to the drawing board. :smallsigh:

Don't forget the second half of what Frozen said, post an idea for a power so we can see the specifics. :smallwink: And the 'can't be similar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well bit' is mostly for your sake on the grounds of 'who want's their character's entire powerset to be the sub-set of another character's powers?' It usually ends up as no fun for at least one person. Like FF said, and I'll say, think up a power and put it up here so we can offer suggestions on if it's too similar or how to keep the idea but by a different route. :smallsmile:

I haven't seen a case where a power diminishes though in the wiki. Could you point me to an example of this happening?
Anyway, what if an esper was put in a life-death situation. I know this wouldn't make every esper make a leap in power, but could it be possible they would grow in a level or two (within reason).

It's more a case of Informed Condition. No character is seen to diminish in level (in canon), but it's said that it can happen. Accelerator (the guy you read about before) lost some of his abilities when he gets shot in the head, but not enough power that he ceases to be the most powerful Level 5 of canon.

As for the leap in power...hmm...that's a difficult area to answer. The important thing to remember is that ANY Esper could have a random spurt in power (in theory), but unless they are able to consistently display that level of ability up til the next System Scan, then it's unlikely to affect their level in a positive or negative fashion. I would say that it's more likely that an Esper experiences a surge of power in a life or death situation that acts as a catalyst for that Esper to strive for a higher level because now they know they are CAPABLE of that kind of power and have a reference point for trying to draw on that power again.

Let me clarify my question. Could the turning point itself affect how the esper's power develops or diminishes. For example, if an esper went through a training regiment, would his powers theoritically be stable while if another one had artificial power ups that caused his powers to make great unstable leaps?

There's...hmm...one or two examples of this I think. One is with a girl who needs a drug to use her powers (because she became dependent on the drug to use her ability) and is considered one of the few with the potential to become a level 5 from what her ability displayed (In this case it would have been to 'copy' the powers of others, but she burned out). A training regiment would be the superior route (in my opinion, mind you) BECAUSE it makes the ability more stable which is far more important. If, say, your ability is to levitate then you should want to know you can levitate on demand, and not rely on the chance that you might spontaneously begin to fly because you use your emotions to fuel your ability and you really want to levitate.

Hope this helps!

Silverraptor
2011-01-17, 06:49 PM
Isn't there a database of every esper regestered in different ability categories? If you want to have an ability already taken, you probably can if you ask the person who already has the power if they don't mind.

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 07:07 PM
Don't forget the second half of what Frozen said, post an idea for a power so we can see the specifics. :smallwink: And the 'can't be similar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well bit' is mostly for your sake on the grounds of 'who want's their character's entire powerset to be the sub-set of another character's powers?' It usually ends up as no fun for at least one person. Like FF said, and I'll say, think up a power and put it up here so we can offer suggestions on if it's too similar or how to keep the idea but by a different route. :smallsmile: I am still thinking of the basic concept of a power right now, and I put what ideas I had down already.

It's true that it usually ends up no fun if for atleast one person if their power is merely a subset but that usually depends on the circumstances. If their both working together it can seem frustrating if their powers overlap in that way but if they have different application to their powers, they could keep doing their own thing without feeling like playing second fiddle. Could a razor wind become a stationary defensive grid?

Also, with the number of profiles, the number of espers, and the number of their powers that have expanded uses and utility, it makes it really difficult to make any power at all without stepping on someone's toes which is definately not fun (atleast for me, some people might thrive on the challenge in making a new power). :smallfrown:

It's more a case of Informed Condition. No character is seen to diminish in level (in canon), but it's said that it can happen. Accelerator (the guy you read about before) lost some of his abilities when he gets shot in the head, but not enough power that he ceases to be the most powerful Level 5 of canon. Alright.

As for the leap in power...hmm...that's a difficult area to answer. The important thing to remember is that ANY Esper could have a random spurt in power (in theory), but unless they are able to consistently display that level of ability up til the next System Scan, then it's unlikely to affect their level in a positive or negative fashion. I would say that it's more likely that an Esper experiences a surge of power in a life or death situation that acts as a catalyst for that Esper to strive for a higher level because now they know they are CAPABLE of that kind of power and have a reference point for trying to draw on that power again. I see... So simply doing something amazing once doesn't mean an esper can automatically do that again in a normal situation later unless they keep trying.

There's...hmm...one or two examples of this I think. One is with a girl who needs a drug to use her powers (because she became dependent on the drug to use her ability) and is considered one of the few with the potential to become a level 5 from what her ability displayed (In this case it would have been to 'copy' the powers of others, but she burned out). A training regiment would be the superior route (in my opinion, mind you) BECAUSE it makes the ability more stable which is far more important. If, say, your ability is to levitate then you should want to know you can levitate on demand, and not rely on the chance that you might spontaneously begin to fly because you use your emotions to fuel your ability and you really want to levitate. I know the character your talking about. This answers my question. Thank you.:smallsmile:

Isn't there a database of every esper regestered in different ability categories? If you want to have an ability already taken, you probably can if you ask the person who already has the power if they don't mind.

If there is a database that has it registered under different abilities, I am going to rip my hair out. >w<
I had assumed that it was a rule that it had to be different in both the basic ability and from expanded uses of said ability. Now I am becoming confused and somewhat frustrated. @_@

Silverraptor
2011-01-17, 08:47 PM
If there is a database that has it registered under different abilities, I am going to rip my hair out. >w<
I had assumed that it was a rule that it had to be different in both the basic ability and from expanded uses of said ability. Now I am becoming confused and somewhat frustrated. @_@

I mean a database in the city. I remember from the show that they would look through the different categories for different espers. For example, the "Dummy Skill" ability had more than just one Esper.

I may be wrong on this though...

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 09:01 PM
I mean a database in the city. I remember from the show that they would look through the different categories for different espers. For example, the "Dummy Skill" ability had more than just one Esper.

I may be wrong on this though...

That database? Oooohhhh... Yeah, there is something like that, but it's listed in the order of highest level to lowest. Not by individual powers (as far as I can tell anyway).

Anyr
2011-01-17, 09:14 PM
That database? Oooohhhh... Yeah, there is something like that, but it's listed in the order of highest level to lowest. Not by individual powers (as far as I can tell anyway).

No, powers are listed as well. During the Level Upper arc, the database was used to list all Espers capable of creating the explosive attacks that were being launched at the time.

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 09:26 PM
No, powers are listed as well. During the Level Upper arc, the database was used to list all Espers capable of creating the explosive attacks that were being launched at the time.
Are we talking about the wiki?

Anyr
2011-01-17, 09:33 PM
Are we talking about the wiki?

Er, no. Silver and I are referring the the In-Universe database that Academy City maintains on all Espers. I believe Silver's point was that you might well be able to have a power which overlaps with another, provided the other Esper doesn't mind.

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 10:06 PM
Er, no. Silver and I are referring the the In-Universe database that Academy City maintains on all Espers. I believe Silver's point was that you might well be able to have a power which overlaps with another, provided the other Esper doesn't mind.

Then I am kinda lost.

Anyr
2011-01-17, 10:09 PM
Then I am kinda lost.

To put it another way, you don't have to bother checking every single character sheet for power conflicts. All that's really needed is a quick request here asking if anyone minds you using a particular power. Even if it happens to overlap with someone else's abilities, they won't necessarily mind.

Bago!!!
2011-01-17, 10:12 PM
That would be awesome if I didn't already go through them all. :smallredface:
I'll look through the current notes I have on people's powers and see which powers overlap with the ones I originally came up with.

Rhydeble
2011-01-19, 04:00 AM
Guys and girls, please tell me if you think Cale is getting a little bit too hammy. I was planning to take him down a notch by making him lose control soon, and wanted one last hamfest.

Anyr
2011-01-19, 03:59 PM
Jane's shouts might as well have fallen upon deaf ears, for Cale was busy with something beyond the realm of sight.

Shouldn't Jane's attack have had more effect than this? I don't think a telepathic assault of that level can be blocked simply by being distracted. Its initial stage is described as something akin to a mental sledgehammer, after all.

Lillith
2011-01-19, 04:25 PM
Shouldn't Jane's attack have had more effect than this? I don't think a telepathic assault of that level can be blocked simply by being distracted. Its initial stage is described as something akin to a mental sledgehammer, after all.

Kinda yeah. ^^" Or at least that was the thought. Years of blocking her powers in combination with a lot of stress and a very high desire to stop all conflict around her. She's kind of exploding inside and after the initial explosion she sort of broadcast a 'don't worry be happy' signal. :smalltongue: That's why I don't use her powers a lot. XD

Rhydeble
2011-01-19, 05:03 PM
Kinda yeah. ^^" Or at least that was the thought. Years of blocking her powers in combination with a lot of stress and a very high desire to stop all conflict around her. She's kind of exploding inside and after the initial explosion she sort of broadcast a 'don't worry be happy' signal. :smalltongue: That's why I don't use her powers a lot. XD

Well, I played it out as giving Cale some sort of cataconic shock where he just doesn't really understand the world anymore, and is temporarily unable to do anything. Seeing as Cale wasn't really there with his mind because of the overload of his pressure sensing thing, I thought it'd have a different effect. the later shouting and trying to keep the nearly-falling pole away is mostly an effect of Cale completely losing it from the sledgehammer.

Also, I was already writing it when lillith posted her part.

Anyr
2011-01-19, 05:14 PM
Well, I played it out as giving Cale some sort of cataconic shock where he just doesn't really understand the world anymore, and is temporarily unable to do anything. Seeing as Cale wasn't really there with his mind because of the overload of his pressure sensing thing, I thought it'd have a different effect. the later shouting and trying to keep the nearly-falling pole away is mostly an effect of Cale completely losing it from the sledgehammer.

Also, I was already writing it when lillith posted her part.

Be that as it may, the post doesn't really seem to give the attack the respect it deserves. Cale has not only managed to avoid all the major effects of the mental sledgehammer, but has also shaken off the effects of the 'happiness wave' almost as soon as it arrived. For the culmination of all Jane's suppressed anger and desires, that's a fairly lacklustre response.

Put it this way: How would you have felt if, when Cale launched his amazing all-in area attack, its only effect was to give people a mild headache and make their vision slightly blurry?

Lillith
2011-01-19, 05:17 PM
If it helps I could delete the post and repost it after Cale's response so it might take effect still but also will let Cale go psycho. Jane's attack might help him calm down and get back to his senses?

Rhydeble
2011-01-19, 05:25 PM
Be that as it may, the post doesn't really seem to give the attack the respect it deserves. Cale has not only managed to avoid all the major effects of the mental sledgehammer, but has also shaken off the effects of the 'happiness wave' almost as soon as it arrived. For the culmination of all Jane's suppressed anger and desires, that's a fairly lacklustre response.

Put it this way: How would you have felt if, when Cale launched his amazing all-in area attack, its only effect was to give people a mild headache and make their vision slightly blurry?

I changed things around a lot, I hope this is satisfactory now..

13_CBS
2011-01-19, 08:28 PM
Hey 13, I don't see Kenta on the wiki. Any reason why?

Forgetfulness. :smallredface: I made him last semester right around when the school workload ramped up, and kept telling myself that I'd put him on the wiki...but if there's one thing I'm an expert at it's procrastination.

I was going to post something about Kenta in the arcade in order to get Jason over to where the Triumvirate was, but it seems that you guys are handling it just fine...is there anything you guys need Kenta to do?

Silverraptor
2011-01-19, 08:53 PM
Forgetfulness. :smallredface: I made him last semester right around when the school workload ramped up, and kept telling myself that I'd put him on the wiki...but if there's one thing I'm an expert at it's procrastination.

I was going to post something about Kenta in the arcade in order to get Jason over to where the Triumvirate was, but it seems that you guys are handling it just fine...is there anything you guys need Kenta to do?

Apart from choking?:smalltongue:

Anyr
2011-01-19, 08:58 PM
Apart from choking?:smalltongue:

Yes, Kenta's luck isn't exactly at its best today. First he gets his cherished high score beaten before his eyes; Then he hears the voice of a crazed thug with a grudge against him screaming in rage right outside the door; Then the air itself turns against him while glass shatters all around; And finally his brain gets smashed in half by a psychic panic attack.

Ah well, at least he'll end up feeling good when it's all over...

13_CBS
2011-01-19, 11:07 PM
Jane's psychic scream is a great wind that sweeps all before her like a...great wind. A great psychic wind. She thinks things--and they happen.

Ah well, at least he'll end up feeling good when it's all over...

In Kenta's case, "feeling good" after something happens is never a guarantee.

Lillith
2011-01-20, 03:56 AM
Shouldn't someone try to pull Cale out of there, away from the sign? I mean I can let Jane do it but she's kind of tired right now. And I don't think she has mind control abilities yet to make Cale move on his own. I totally just sabotaged any form of rescue by making everybody calm and happy didn't I? :smallsigh:

Also how can Kenta just walk by Cale when a sign is falling towards that exact location?

Anyr
2011-01-20, 04:39 AM
Shouldn't someone try to pull Cale out of there, away from the sign? I mean I can let Jane do it but she's kind of tired right now. And I don't think she has mind control abilities yet to make Cale move on his own. I totally just sabotaged any form of rescue by making everybody calm and happy didn't I? :smallsigh:

Jane does still seem to be Cale's best chance here. Tired or not, she's the only one around who cares enough to act right now. And yes, this situation is indeed wonderfully ironic. Isn't it great how things just come together like this?

Also how can Kenta just walk by Cale when a sign is falling towards that exact location?

Because from his perspective it hasn't actually fallen yet. We're both assuming that Jirou and Kenta's actions happen a little before the sign drops. That way there's still time for an intervention.

Lillith
2011-01-20, 05:44 AM
Checked Jane's level list and she doesn't have mind control on third level. That would be level five so even if she'd suddenly go level up she wouldn't be able to control Cale out of there. Sooo, let's go for a sudden adrenaline shot!

Anyr
2011-01-21, 11:13 AM
"Huh."

Avery just managed to witness the sign changing into a girl, plus a bit of what happened before. Holding her Baguette with incredibly caution, she approached the girl slowly.

You probably know this already, but just in case: The sign didn't actually change into anything; That was just how Cale perceived the event (being somewhat addled by the psychic blast). In actual fact it just fell, prompting Jane to dive in and knock the person under it out of the way.

Lillith
2011-01-21, 11:18 AM
Also if Avery was there to witness 'moments before', aka she was within 500 meters of Jane less then 5 minutes ago, Avery should feel very happy and serene right now. :smallwink:

Bago!!!
2011-01-21, 11:28 AM
Does Horngeek usually take this long to reply to a PM? Just wondering since I am kinda waiting on him before I continue the specifics with one of the powers I am making that overlaps with his razorwind.

Edit: Plus, I am bored.

Anyr
2011-01-21, 11:37 AM
Does Horngeek usually take this long to reply to a PM? Just wondering since I am kinda waiting on her before I continue the specifics with one of the powers I am making that overlaps with her razorwind.

Firstly, horngeek's male. But yes, he often does take a while to respond. If your draft is otherwise finished, though, feel free to post it here anyway. There'd still be plenty of chance for him to raise any objections he might have, so it wouldn't put him out of the loop. And if it turns out that he's fine with it, a lot of time could be saved.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-21, 11:48 AM
He's said elsewhere he's over at a thriathlon for the weekend. So I wouldn't expect a reply until monday. :smallsmile:

Bago!!!
2011-01-21, 12:05 PM
I know he's male. I made a mistake when thinking about his character. :smallredface: I fixed ten seconds afterward. (or so I thought... Did I? Hold on, let me check!
5 seconds later: Yes, I did change it. Blagh!

But yeah... Heres what I got. Guidance, tips, ideas and possibly some dissection appreciated!
Telekinetic Edge or Cut:
The AIM field can be made into sharp edges.

Telekinetic Edge or Cut:
0. Creates an sharp edge along an already existing edge that is carried by the esper.
1: Slash – Cuts the area of the esper palm.
2: Wave – Cuts a wide arc in front of the esper with the wave of a hand.
3: Sphere – A circle of edges surrounds him, cutting everyone and everything within ______ except the esper. (Requires some focus and concentration)
4: Disc (Line, Bolt) – creates _______ edge in front of him. (Manipulates the AIM to accomplish this. Requires energy and some focus)
5: Storm - Cuts everything except the center of a cylinder. (Requires tremendous focus and energy to maintain)

Strength:
0. Strong enough to cut into hair and skin.
1: Strong enough to cut wood.
2: Cutting into metal wire without concentration.
3: Strong enough to make cuts through metal wiring.
4: Strong enough to cut through concrete.
5: Strong enough to cut through ?????.

AIM Size:
???

Additional uses: Edge rotation (Screwdriver)
Grid (Stationary barrier)

Not much but I've been waiting for Horngeek's response.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-01-21, 12:18 PM
Does Horngeek usually take this long to reply to a PM? Just wondering since I am kinda waiting on him before I continue the specifics with one of the powers I am making that overlaps with his razorwind.

Edit: Plus, I am bored.

horngeek is going on vacation actually. Or out of town. Something like that, he mentioned it in the BleachITP Reborn thread.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-21, 12:28 PM
Bago: Based on that description, I'd call the power "Wedge" and it's descriptor "Severing of molecular bonds". Of course, any stationary barrier-effect or force doesn't really fit that... (^^;;)

Anyr
2011-01-21, 12:37 PM
So the power basically creates vectors of cutting force, without any actual object doing the cutting? In that case, I doubt that horngeek will have any problem with it. Your ability seems in most respects to be a more focused subset of his; In other words, it has less range of effects but greater power within its specialty.

As far as actual mistakes go, the only one I can see offhand is that Level 0 shouldn't have any effects listed. That's because for most people being Level 0 means that they have no measurable abilities. I do have a few questions, but they're more concerned with clarification than actual problems.

Okay, on to the barrage: Can this power's attacks be blocked in any way? Can they be seen? Does it require line of sight to the targets? How quickly does it travel? If formed into barriers, what happens to something that tries to pass through it? Why does the Level 3 example seem more powerful than the one for Level 4?

Don't feel obligated to answer these if you don't have the time/inclination; This is just a quick first draft, after all.

Bago!!!
2011-01-21, 12:39 PM
Bago: Based on that description, I'd call the power "Wedge" and it's descriptor "Severing of molecular bonds". Of course, any stationary barrier-effect or force doesn't really fit that... (^^;;)

Wedge?
*Scribble, scribble, scribble*
Severing molecular bonds would be interesting and a stationary barrier could work, depending on HOW the molecular bonds are severed.

The stationary barrier was given minimal thought. Thus far, I am thinking it's stationary IF it remains within the AIM field. So if the esper created it, it would remain there until he (and his AIM) are moved away.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-21, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Bago!!!;10206954]
Severing molecular bonds would be interesting and a stationary barrier could work, depending on HOW the molecular bonds are severed.
/QUOTE]

Ah, I can see it now. It'd be like a net made of razor floss. Anything trying to move through it would be cut to ribbons. I could see his AIM field forming that.

Bago!!!
2011-01-21, 01:16 PM
So the power basically creates vectors of cutting force, without any actual object doing the cutting? In that case, I doubt that horngeek will have any problem with it. Your ability seems in most respects to be a more focused subset of his; In other words, it has less range of effects but greater power within its specialty. That was the basic idea when I was coming up with it.

As far as actual mistakes go, the only one I can see offhand is that Level 0 shouldn't have any effects listed. That's because for most people being Level 0 means that they have no measurable abilities. I do have a few questions, but they're more concerned with clarification than actual problems. I thought level 0 could have some small hard to measure power, but I guess this makes my job easier.

Can this power's attacks be blocked in any way?
Depends on the material and force of the object. If it’s also a telekinetic barrier, then that would depend on the level of the esper and the level of the esper making the cuts in question with the sufficient power.

Yes, it can be blocked.

Can they be seen? Currently, my train of thought says that they could be noticed, but it’d be difficult. It would depend on how much the ‘blades’ move.

Think something like the Predator's cloaking field or what not.

Does it require line of sight to the targets?If it’s within his AIM field, then no, but he’d have to be aware. He can’t make an edge in solid brick but beyond that wall, if he knew about it, then he could.

In otherwords, it doesn't but it requires awareness and his AIM field to be in said area.

How quickly does it travel? Not sure… It can only travel with the esper field but I haven’t thought about how fast it moves within barrier

If formed into barriers, what happens to something that tries to pass through it? Depends on what is trying to pass through it, how dense it is, how quickly it moves and such. If it’s dense enough, the barrier could simply dissipate. It would be the equivalent of a metal grid fence.

In otherwords, I dunno. This was in the back of my head initially.

Why does the Level 3 example seem more powerful than the one for Level 4?
Are we talking about power shape or the strength?
If we’re talking about power shape, it’s because it manipulates the AIM Field to sort of accomplish greater distance while the other makes a small sphere around the esper user making a number of short lived cuts randomly around the air.

If we’re talking about the actual strength, then it’s because I muffed up. ^_^ I’m not sure how strength should work anyway, so this was a rough idea.

The actual size of the areas I haven't thought up yet. The sphere would certainly be smaller than his AIM field.

Ah, I can see it now. It'd be like a net made of razor floss. Anything trying to move through it would be cut to ribbons. I could see his AIM field forming that.
I was thinking more of a metal link fence. In my current head, it would take way too much time, meticulous planning, and energy to make even a foot by foot net and maintain it.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-23, 03:26 PM
I should put Katsu somewhere.

But I spaced off so I can't tell what's going on.

Happens a lot.

horngeek
2011-01-23, 03:40 PM
I has no problems with that power! :smallsmile:

Bago!!!
2011-01-23, 10:52 PM
Is there anything else that needs to be addressed in the power itself? Perhaps some ideas or tips?

Anyr
2011-01-23, 11:21 PM
Is there anything else that needs to be addressed in the power itself? Perhaps some ideas or tips?

There's not really that much more left to say. So long as the power's attacks can be evaded without resorting to supernatural defences, they seem balanced enough. The Level 3 and 4 shapes may possibly benefit from being swapped, but that's a matter of opinion. Besides, if we spend too long analyzing the power alone then it might start to overshadow the actual character. Remember, the power is just one aspect of a greater whole; It'll be much easier to make a judgement when the TK Edge's wielder steps into the spotlight along with their weapon.

Anyr
2011-01-24, 11:14 AM
"Bravo Tow-Two to Overloard- Target sighted. Three personnel Request Permission to engage"
"This is overload- Permisson to engage is given. Non-Lethal Take down Only."
"Roger that. Out"

Rockwell aims the crosshair on his ACOG at the target's leg, puts the rifle out of safety to Semi.

"Team- Aim for the Legs. Wait for my mark."

Bravo Two-one and Two-three aims their rifle.

"Ready"

"Open Fire"

Rockwell makes pulls the trigger once. So does Bravo Two-one and Two Three.

"Did it hit?" Rockwell asks.

Who's the target here? The posts aren't very clear on that point. Normally the natural assumption would be either Cale or Jirou, but the squad's actions don't make sense when applied to either of them. Could you possibly provide some more details to clarify the situation?

Silverraptor
2011-01-24, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking of making a level 3 Tokiwadai student. Attitude is close with the easily embarrassed girly nerd girl with glasses. The type of power would, naturally, be the Dummy Check skill. So she'll be hiding all the time due to her timid nature.

Does anyone object to this at all?:smallsmile:

Maximum Zersk
2011-01-28, 12:46 AM
I feel like I do this a lot. :/

Silverraptor
2011-01-28, 01:18 AM
Do what?:smallconfused:

Maximum Zersk
2011-01-28, 02:48 AM
Appear, say I'm going to join again, and then leave. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-28, 07:45 AM
Going to camp for the weekend. Hopefully, I'll come back to lot and lot of posts. :smallwink:

Terry576
2011-01-31, 03:00 PM
Now that Rail is back, I should probably rerez Lightning.

I'll post when I get home. (At school...)

Mina Kobold
2011-01-31, 03:04 PM
Going to camp for the weekend. Hopefully, I'll come back to lot and lot of posts. :smallwink:

Whoops, only a few days left! :smalleek:

Let's get posting guys!

Anyway, I kind of lost track of what was going on, can anybody tell me what happened at the Arcade?

Rhydeble
2011-01-31, 05:59 PM
Well, its just a while after Jane punched everyone into the brain, and shinnmoso just fired on someone, but I have no idea on who...

Anyr
2011-01-31, 06:56 PM
By the way, is anyone waiting on me? RL distractions have prevented me from posting much for the last week or so, but I wouldn't want to be holding things up. Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help get things moving again.

Silverraptor
2011-02-01, 12:39 AM
Whoops, only a few days left! :smalleek:

Let's get posting guys!

Anyway, I kind of lost track of what was going on, can anybody tell me what happened at the Arcade?

Well, its just a while after Jane punched everyone into the brain, and shinnmoso just fired on someone, but I have no idea on who...

By the way, is anyone waiting on me? RL distractions have prevented me from posting much for the last week or so, but I wouldn't want to be holding things up. Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help get things moving again.

I think were just waiting to know who was fired on. I vote if we don't get an answer in 2 days, were just going to pretend that didn't happen, because its really frozen the game.:smallannoyed: (Especially the part of me finally getting Jason into the plot. *Curses silently*)

Rhydeble
2011-02-01, 05:08 AM
I think were just waiting to know who was fired on. I vote if we don't get an answer in 2 days, were just going to pretend that didn't happen, because its really frozen the game.:smallannoyed: (Especially the part of me finally getting Jason into the plot. *Curses silently*)

sounds good to me.

Anyr
2011-02-01, 09:01 AM
There's no point in waiting two more days for shinnmoso when he's been given a full week already. Indulging him further will just do more damage to the game. Let's just move on now, before everyone forgets what they were even doing.

Silverraptor
2011-02-01, 12:29 PM
There's no point in waiting two more days for shinnmoso when he's been given a full week already. Indulging him further will just do more damage to the game. Let's just move on now, before everyone forgets what they were even doing.

Alright then. Lets get the ball rolling!:smallbiggrin:

Lillith
2011-02-01, 02:29 PM
Not really waiting on anybody. I think people kind of got into a rut.

Anyways now that I'm here anyways, I'm trying to set up a plot that could take several characters in it. If we get a bunch of people people can form groups if they want. So anybody interested so I can start writing the plot around the characters? Jane will be participating and a char I'll post soon. So if Cale and Jirou wanna hang around more with a shy telepath :smallbiggrin:.

Rhydeble
2011-02-01, 03:16 PM
Yes people, Cale sings in Comic Sans, its up to you to decide how horrible it sounds.

oh and I'm in

Mina Kobold
2011-02-01, 03:26 PM
Yes people, Cale sings in Comic Sans, its up to you to decide how horrible it sounds.

oh and I'm in

Oh, I thought it was just to indicate singing cheerily...

I will edit Katsu's singing to another sans.

Then you can judge his singing as well and they can enter Academy Idol! :smalltongue:

EDIT: I also can't seem to catch whether they're in the broken Arcade or not. :smallredface:

Anyr
2011-02-01, 03:30 PM
Not really waiting on anybody. I think people kind of got into a rut.

Anyways now that I'm here anyways, I'm trying to set up a plot that could take several characters in it. If we get a bunch of people people can form groups if they want. So anybody interested so I can start writing the plot around the characters? Jane will be participating and a char I'll post soon. So if Cale and Jirou wanna hang around more with a shy telepath :smallbiggrin:.

By all means. A good dose of plot would certainly be welcome after that slow patch.

Lillith
2011-02-01, 03:51 PM
Depending on what the majority of participants want, I can either start the events 'Saturday' in story, or you know... give the chars and break and let the plot start on their 'Sunday'. Especially for the people who got hit by Jane's whiplash that might be the most polite thing to do. :smalltongue: I'll try to get my plot related character up tomorrow. Still trying to decide if I want to make an Esper out of it or not... don't really feel like coming up with more powers etc... And a normal in the group is always fun.

Silverraptor
2011-02-01, 05:24 PM
Would anyone mind if I help advance the plot too?:smalltongue:

Lillith
2011-02-01, 06:37 PM
Okay so I couldn't wait. I figure I should set this guy up to perhaps do some prepare work for when the plot hits off. But! He'll need you guys approval of course! I figure I'm going for a badass normal for a change. (OMG THE FIRST TIME I'M GONNA ROLEPLAY A GUY!!) Alright, shoot me down!

Name: Akira Yamato (first/last name)
Aliases: none
Level: none
Groups: Anti Skill (detective)

Description:
Appearance: Yamato is a broad, tall man of about 187cm. He looks older for his age, which he blames to his life experiences and because of this has already gotten some lines around his eyes. His chestnut brown hair is neatly combed backwards, but quickly loses its shape when Yamato is running, causing it to look untidy.
He wears a long light brown trench coat, with a white shirt and a red tie underneath. His black trousers look off when compared with the sneakers he's wearing underneath them. If one would look at his belt, when it's not covered by his coat, you'll see his Anti-Skill badge and gun.
Personality: A strict and serious man, Yamato is unable to just let a case go. He'll continue till he's solved it. While he can be a very kind man, he won't if he thinks you're a suspect, going as far as to badger you for information, though he'll admit if he has the wrong person. He wants the truth and not some innocent in prison.

Abilities

Physical Traits:
-First Aid Training: Practically a prerequisite for any self-respecting Anti-Skill member, especially if they have an active interest in helping people.
- Keen eye: Due to his work, Yamato has an eye for small details others tend to not notice. Like Adrian Monk in a less absurd way.
- Strong physique: Having undergone Anti-Skill training, Yamato is in excellent condition.
- Gunslinger: Yamato has had training in how to handle a number of different guns and other firearms. This also has given him a good aim to shoot.

Mental Traits:
- Analytical thinking: Yamato likes to analyze the situations at hand and come up with the best possible outcome.
- Slight intolerance regarding Espers: If Espers weren't going gung-ho with their powers every few hours, Yamato would have a lot less work on his hands and be able to focus on what he deems 'more important'.

Notable Equipment:
- A comb to keep that pesky hair out of the way.
- A standard black glock 17 in his belt.
- Handcuffs, notepad, etc. everything else you'd expect from a detective.

Anyr
2011-02-01, 07:26 PM
Okay so I couldn't wait. I figure I should set this guy up to perhaps do some prepare work for when the plot hits off. But! He'll need you guys approval of course! I figure I'm going for a badass normal for a change. (OMG THE FIRST TIME I'M GONNA ROLEPLAY A GUY!!) Alright, shoot me down!

Name: Akira Yamato (first/last name)
Aliases: none
Level: none
Groups: Anti Skill (detective)

Description:
Appearance: Yamato is a broad, tall man of about 187cm. He looks older for his age, which he blames to his life experiences and because of this has already gotten some lines around his eyes. His chestnut brown hair is neatly combed backwards, but quickly loses its shape when Yamato is running, causing it to look untidy.
He wears a long light brown trench coat, with a white shirt and a red tie underneath. His black trousers look off when compared with the sneakers he's wearing underneath them. If one would look at his belt, when it's not covered by his coat, you'll see his Anti-Skill badge and gun.
Personality: A strict and serious man, Yamato is unable to just let a case go. He'll continue till he's solved it. While he can be a very kind man, he won't if he thinks you're a suspect, going as far as to badger you for information, though he'll admit if he has the wrong person. He wants the truth and not some innocent in prison.

Abilities

Physical Traits:
-First Aid Training: Practically a prerequisite for any self-respecting Anti-Skill member, especially if they have an active interest in helping people.
- Keen eye: Due to his work, Yamato has an eye for small details others tend to not notice. Like Adrian Monk in a less absurd way.
- Strong physique: Having undergone Anti-Skill training, Yamato is in excellent condition.
- Gunslinger: Yamato has had training in how to handle a number of different guns and other firearms. This also has given him a good aim to shoot.

Mental Traits:
- Analytical thinking: Yamato likes to analyze the situations at hand and come up with the best possible outcome.
- Slight intolerance regarding Espers: If Espers weren't going gung-ho with their powers every few hours, Yamato would have a lot less work on his hands and be able to focus on what he deems 'more important'.

Notable Equipment:
- A comb to keep that pesky hair out of the way.
- A standard black glock 17 in his belt.
- Handcuffs, notepad, etc. everything else you'd expect from a detective.

A detective, eh? That's a role which the city will probably welcome at the moment. Between the killer robots, arcade explosions and spontaneous riots, it'll be good to have an actual professional on the case. Not that hastily assembled teams of teenagers don't have their place in law enforcement, of course...

Bago!!!
2011-02-01, 09:11 PM
Hello everyone, long time no see!

I was starting to get worried that this thread was starting to go too quiet, glad I was wrong.

Anyway, here's my character and revised ability.
Name: John Greason
Aliases:
Level: 1 or 2
Groups: None

Coming to Academy City wasn’t something that John had much choice in. Novak, his father was invited to conduct research concerning esper’s and their abilities. It didn’t matter to him that John would be uplifted from his friends and his step mom. What did matter were the possibilities in the field and the opportunities it would bring for himself and his son. He even ‘encouraged his son to partake in the power curriculum, confident that it would be beneficial for him and provide him with an edge. Though John has great resentment, he has conceded to his father’s wishes each time, though he makes it as difficult as possible for him.

Description:

Appearance: John stands at 5’9” with unkempt light brown hair that covers his forehead and dark brown eyes that seem rather calm and friendly behind his thick, plastic horn-rimmed glasses. More often than not, his eyes look rather distant whenever he daydreams or is lost in deep thought.. His attire is just whatever is practical, usually consisting with a worn out blue jean overcoat, a pair of cargo pants, and whatever else he finds lying around to wear when he wants to dress casual build cover his rather undeveloped but lean body.

Personality: Relatively warm, talkative but somewhat distant from everyone else due to being in a new country and a new city like no other in the world, John is a friendly face that doesn’t know much about Japanese culture. He’s rather calm and seems somewhat reserved in his mannerisms despite his friendly exterior.

Hesitant in his actions, John is constantly watching himself to avoid any mistakes. John tries his best to make as little problems and troubles as much as possible. If trouble seems like it will happen, he’ll try his luck at leaving the situation before things go south.

Morally, he feels it is wrong to cause harm in anyway or form to anyone or anything. Though he is well versed in self-defense, he lacks the spine to do any real harm and reluctant to insult someone, the latter mostly from fear of being made a fool of rather than from any moral dilemma.

Abilities

Physical Traits:
-Quick and Dodgy: While he’s not particularly strong, John is fast and can react quickly. He’s brilliant at stepping out of the way of danger repeatedly. John’s reflexes also help him in taking action on the slightest notice.
-Wood carving: When it comes to making carvings images and sculptures, John’s pretty decent. He could go into intricate detail if he takes the time and effort, which he usually does. In fact, he’s usually practicing his carving on a block of wood, implementing his newly gained power.
-Karate: Has started to learn some self-defense moves at the behest of his father. He has advanced quiet well but is still relatively new at it and still learning the moves. John is only starting to start exercise as part of his mentor’s training.

Mental Traits:
-Sharp: His eyes are sharp and seem rather aware, hinting to a mind that is finely honed to perceive, evaluate, and then take action.
-Decent with Electronics: Though no expert, he’s grounded with technology and knows how it works as a whole due to being exposed to a significant amount of technology. If he is given time to fiddle with a device, he’ll be able to figure out the basic functions in a small amount of time.

Notable Equipment:
-Laptop: This is usually in his backpack and he uses it to take notes.
-Cellphone: A rather advanced cell phone, a birthday present from his father. It has a number of features, including a camera, flashlight, wireless connection, and a music player.
-Whittling Knife: He has this and usually something wooden to keep his hands occupied whenever he gets bored.
-Journal: A small notebook that John carries with him with which he usually writes what comes to his mind, sometimes so he can look at it and expand on it later.

Esper Ability
Esper Ability:
Telekinetic Cut:
Creating wedges and vectors from the Esper’s AIM projection

Telekinetic Edge or Cut:
1: Edge – The esper can create an edge along any part of his body for an indefinite amount of time. The sizes of these are equal to the level times three.
3: Cut – Creates a crescent edge in front of the esper that travels out of the normal range, accomplished by manipulating the AIM to funnel it in a specific direction to accomplish this. Requires effort and three seconds of mental preparation. The movement is easier to spy and it seems to cuts through the air making a distinct noise.*
4: Sphere – A sphere of edges surrounds him, cutting everyone and everything within reach. The size of the sphere can be as large as a one fourth of the AIM or less to a minimum of three yards. The smaller the AIM, the denser the blades are together. Due to the constant movement, it’s easy to tell where the danger zone is. At this level, he can create edges without making any movement. (Requires a significant amount of energy).*
5: Storm - Cuts everything within the AIM, except for the esper and a select few targets. This is a dangerous power that if used will cause severe mental trauma. The more people exempted from the area, the more severe the damage.

Strength:
1: Could cut skin and hair.
2: Strong enough to cut into wood and can also cause minor incisions.
3: Strong enough to cut through wood and into concrete. Severe incisions
4: Strong enough to cut through concrete and through thin pieces of metal and can also cause serious incisions.
5: Strong enough to cut through most thick metals.

AIM Size:
Level 1: Three yards all around
Level 2: Six yards
Level 3: Twelve yards (Eighteen yards in front of the esper when manipulating the aim)
Level 4: Twenty four yards (Thirty-six yards)
Level 5: Forty eight yards (seventy-two yards)

Additional uses:
Level 1: Enhance, The Edge power can be implemented on any object that is touched by the esper and they remain as long as it remains in the AIM field around the esper.
Level 2: Shapes, The shapes of the wedges and vectors change and can become one of the following at one time: Straight (Standard), Curved, Scythe (A curved inward edge), and Stiletto (Piercing).
Launch,
Level 3: Palm, This creates a number of edges that move constantly in a small concentrated area in front of the palm.
Pins, Creates a large number of small needles of force that cause penetrating wounds. They’re gone after meeting any resistance but are quite painful.
Level 4: Grid, Create a barrier created of a number of vectors that can last longer than usual. The larger and more intricate of the barrier, the more energy it takes to maintain.*

*Cannot use any other use of power or action while using this unless the power that is active is dismissed.

Look through and pick at anything you think needs work.

Anyr
2011-02-02, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone, long time no see!

I was starting to get worried that this thread was starting to go too quiet, glad I was wrong.

Anyway, here's my character and revised ability.
Name: John Greason
Aliases:
Level: 1 or 2
Groups: None

Coming to Academy City wasn’t something that John had much choice in. Novak, his father was invited to conduct research concerning esper’s and their abilities. It didn’t matter to him that John would be uplifted from his friends and his step mom. What did matter were the possibilities in the field and the opportunities it would bring for himself and his son. He even ‘encouraged his son to partake in the power curriculum, confident that it would be beneficial for him and provide him with an edge. Though John has great resentment, he has conceded to his father’s wishes each time, though he makes it as difficult as possible for him.

Description:

Appearance: John stands at 5’9” with unkempt light brown hair that covers his forehead and dark brown eyes that seem rather calm and friendly behind his thick, plastic horn-rimmed glasses. More often than not, his eyes look rather distant whenever he daydreams or is lost in deep thought.. His attire is just whatever is practical, usually consisting with a worn out blue jean overcoat, a pair of cargo pants, and whatever else he finds lying around to wear when he wants to dress casual build cover his rather undeveloped but lean body.

Personality: Relatively warm, talkative but somewhat distant from everyone else due to being in a new country and a new city like no other in the world, John is a friendly face that doesn’t know much about Japanese culture. He’s rather calm and seems somewhat reserved in his mannerisms despite his friendly exterior.

Hesitant in his actions, John is constantly watching himself to avoid any mistakes. John tries his best to make as little problems and troubles as much as possible. If trouble seems like it will happen, he’ll try his luck at leaving the situation before things go south.

Morally, he feels it is wrong to cause harm in anyway or form to anyone or anything. Though he is well versed in self-defense, he lacks the spine to do any real harm and reluctant to insult someone, the latter mostly from fear of being made a fool of rather than from any moral dilemma.

Abilities

Physical Traits:
-Quick and Dodgy: While he’s not particularly strong, John is fast and can react quickly. He’s brilliant at stepping out of the way of danger repeatedly. John’s reflexes also help him in taking action on the slightest notice.
-Wood carving: When it comes to making carvings images and sculptures, John’s pretty decent. He could go into intricate detail if he takes the time and effort, which he usually does. In fact, he’s usually practicing his carving on a block of wood, implementing his newly gained power.
-Karate: Has started to learn some self-defense moves at the behest of his father. He has advanced quiet well but is still relatively new at it and still learning the moves. John is only starting to start exercise as part of his mentor’s training.

Mental Traits:
-Sharp: His eyes are sharp and seem rather aware, hinting to a mind that is finely honed to perceive, evaluate, and then take action.
-Decent with Electronics: Though no expert, he’s grounded with technology and knows how it works as a whole due to being exposed to a significant amount of technology. If he is given time to fiddle with a device, he’ll be able to figure out the basic functions in a small amount of time.

Notable Equipment:
-Laptop: This is usually in his backpack and he uses it to take notes.
-Cellphone: A rather advanced cell phone, a birthday present from his father. It has a number of features, including a camera, flashlight, wireless connection, and a music player.
-Whittling Knife: He has this and usually something wooden to keep his hands occupied whenever he gets bored.
-Journal: A small notebook that John carries with him with which he usually writes what comes to his mind, sometimes so he can look at it and expand on it later.

Esper Ability
Esper Ability:
Telekinetic Cut:
Creating wedges and vectors from the Esper’s AIM projection

Telekinetic Edge or Cut:
1: Edge – The esper can create an edge along any part of his body for an indefinite amount of time. The sizes of these are equal to the level times three.
3: Cut – Creates a crescent edge in front of the esper that travels out of the normal range, accomplished by manipulating the AIM to funnel it in a specific direction to accomplish this. Requires effort and three seconds of mental preparation. The movement is easier to spy and it seems to cuts through the air making a distinct noise.*
4: Sphere – A sphere of edges surrounds him, cutting everyone and everything within reach. The size of the sphere can be as large as a one fourth of the AIM or less to a minimum of three yards. The smaller the AIM, the denser the blades are together. Due to the constant movement, it’s easy to tell where the danger zone is. At this level, he can create edges without making any movement. (Requires a significant amount of energy).*
5: Storm - Cuts everything within the AIM, except for the esper and a select few targets. This is a dangerous power that if used will cause severe mental trauma. The more people exempted from the area, the more severe the damage.

Strength:
1: Could cut skin and hair.
2: Strong enough to cut into wood and can also cause minor incisions.
3: Strong enough to cut through wood and into concrete. Severe incisions
4: Strong enough to cut through concrete and through thin pieces of metal and can also cause serious incisions.
5: Strong enough to cut through most thick metals.

AIM Size:
Level 1: Three yards all around
Level 2: Six yards
Level 3: Twelve yards (Eighteen yards in front of the esper when manipulating the aim)
Level 4: Twenty four yards (Thirty-six yards)
Level 5: Forty eight yards (seventy-two yards)

Additional uses:
Level 1: Enhance, The Edge power can be implemented on any object that is touched by the esper and they remain as long as it remains in the AIM field around the esper.
Level 2: Shapes, The shapes of the wedges and vectors change and can become one of the following at one time: Straight (Standard), Curved, Scythe (A curved inward edge), and Stiletto (Piercing).
Launch,
Level 3: Palm, This creates a number of edges that move constantly in a small concentrated area in front of the palm.
Pins, Creates a large number of small needles of force that cause penetrating wounds. They’re gone after meeting any resistance but are quite painful.
Level 4: Grid, Create a barrier created of a number of vectors that can last longer than usual. The larger and more intricate of the barrier, the more energy it takes to maintain.*

*Cannot use any other use of power or action while using this unless the power that is active is dismissed.

Look through and pick at anything you think needs work.

It doesn't look as if any more work is needed. The character himself seems completely fine, as well as engaging; He has an interesting mentality and set of attitudes, along with a whole host of ready plot hooks. His revised powers seem fine as well, displaying a lot of thought and consideration for balance. All in all, John looks more than ready to enter play whenever he likes.

Lillith
2011-02-02, 05:23 PM
I'll leave Yamato to be approved/disapproved for two days I think before I'm gonna use him. In the mean time the people who want to join are:
Cale/Rhydeble
Jirou/Anyr
Jane/me

Silverraptor I'm not sure if your post means you want to join too?

Anybody else? Come on people, I can use a lot more vict-volunteers! :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2011-02-02, 05:28 PM
Of course I want to join you guys!:smallbiggrin:

Also, you're guy is from Anti-Skill, right? Can he have a U.S. military man as a side kick?:smalltongue:

Bago!!!
2011-02-02, 05:42 PM
I do! I want to join! :smallbiggrin:

After I hear more a larger number of people showing approval or critic of my character first. Would rather not join and then someone suddenly saying that something needs to be changed or what not.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-03, 12:56 AM
Pick me! Pick me! I want to join too!

Oh and Bago? I see no problems with John except the knife, are those allowed in Japan? I'm not sure. :smallsmile:

Lillith
2011-02-03, 02:21 AM
Oh boy now I hope I won't screw up! ^^"

And sorry Silver, but this is the first time I'm gonna try my hands on steering a story so I kinda want to keep my character single. =( Maybe later on if I get the hang of it we can always force him to get a partner okay?

Bago!!!
2011-02-03, 02:30 AM
Pick me! Pick me! I want to join too!

Oh and Bago? I see no problems with John except the knife, are those allowed in Japan? I'm not sure. :smallsmile:

That would depend on the blade and on obtaining permission I think. I don't know much about weapons laws in Japan or as a whole, but from what the net says, I think a two inch pocket knife wouldn't be too difficult to obtain, espicially when it's purpose is for wood carving.

But again, not sure so I'll change that if that really is a problem.

Edit2: Alright, I just read a news article online and it looks rather legit. 2.16 inches seems to be the limit.

Anyr
2011-02-03, 03:08 AM
"Hold your Fire, Hold Your Fire!"

Rockwells holds up a fist, signaling all to stop firing.

Rockwell looks up, confused. He has never seen this, everyone singing one song, the same tune. Even the best singers in the army can't do this, they just go off to sing different songs.

"What the... All call signs, This is Two-Two, requesting Sitrep, over."
"Nothing to Report, One-Three Over"
"Negative on my sector, they're just singing"

"What is this? Rouge Esper preparing a fight?" Rockwell thinks to himself.

Shinnmoso, have you been keeping up with this thread? If so, it would be nice to have an answer to the concerns that have been raised in it. To reiterate: What are the Anti-Skill actually doing right now? In your last post they sighted a target and opened fire on them, but there's a lot of confusion about the identity of that target. Furthermore, nobody in the area has done anything to warrant being gunned down without warning by armed commandos. Some clarification on these issues would be very helpful, because at the moment they're preventing anyone from responding to your posts.

Silverraptor
2011-02-03, 12:22 PM
Shinnmoso, have you been keeping up with this thread? If so, it would be nice to have an answer to the concerns that have been raised in it. To reiterate: What are the Anti-Skill actually doing right now? In your last post they sighted a target and opened fire on them, but there's a lot of confusion about the identity of that target. Furthermore, nobody in the area has done anything to warrant being gunned down without warning by armed commandos. Some clarification on these issues would be very helpful, because at the moment they're preventing anyone from responding to your posts.

I had a problem like this in one of the play-by-post games of DnD on here. He may be ignoring the OOC thread altogether and is only bothering to read the IC thread. The guy in the DnD thread was off doing his own thing, even controling the DM's characters. It wasn't until I addressed him IC that he realized we were all trying to get his attention in OOC. He said he wasn't paying attention to the OOC at all.

Maybe its the same case here?

Anyr
2011-02-03, 12:31 PM
Good point. PM sent.

Silverraptor
2011-02-03, 12:37 PM
Good point. PM sent.

Let us know if he responds.

Lillith
2011-02-03, 01:19 PM
Well if nobody objects, I'm gonna take Yamato for a spin. Don't worry plot isn't really starting yet, just feel like introducing him. :smallwink:

shinnmoso
2011-02-04, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I have been real busy lately. High School, choosing colleges and stuff. I haven't really had time to check up lately.

About the actions of the Anti-skill. I would call it a misidentification of targets. So the shots fired can be say, a preventive measure. So one round would be fired to just make sure it doesn't harm anyone.

I hope this quickly answers your questions. I do apologize that I haven't had time to check up on the OCC that often.

Lillith
2011-02-04, 02:33 AM
That still doesn't answer where they are shooting, whom they are shooting etc. Why they are there in the first place even. Right now I think it's too late for people to suddenly react to it. Cause of the vagueness of the post I think some people have already moved on, at least my characters did.

Bago!!!
2011-02-04, 11:46 AM
I hope it isn't too bold of me, but I think I'll start posting later tonight if there are no objections cause I am eager to join in the madness.

Silverraptor
2011-02-04, 11:57 AM
I hope it isn't too bold of me, but I think I'll start posting later tonight if there are no objections cause I am eager to join in the madness.

No! You can not post! Why would you ever think you would be able to?:smallmad:
...:smalltongue:

Nah. I'm just kidding. You can post anytime you want. We actually didn't know why you waited, but that's fine.:smallsmile:

Anyways, I take it that Jane's company just walks by Jason without looking at him? Considering how one of them should recognize him?:smallconfused:

Lillith
2011-02-04, 12:24 PM
You do know that Jirou is sort of... absentminded right now, right? :smallwink: You could approach him of course. :smalltongue:

Anyr
2011-02-04, 12:39 PM
You do know that Jirou is sort of... absentminded right now, right? :smallwink: You could approach him of course. :smalltongue:

Indeed. I've been working under the assumption that Jason would be the one to recognise him, since he's in a far better position to do so. Besides which, it gives Silver more control over how and when he enters the group.

Silverraptor
2011-02-04, 04:29 PM
Ah. Let me think about it for a brief moment then on how to do it.

Lillith
2011-02-04, 04:40 PM
In the meantime I've got no clue what to do with Jane for a moment. As long as she stays around the boys they'll have a longer effect of the mental wave. Though I don't think the guys would like the idea that Jane accidentally messed with their mind. So right now she's weighing if she should stay or go. Then again for the plot I'm planning on setting up on 'Sunday' it would be nice if they left on a friendly note. :smallwink:

Mina Kobold
2011-02-04, 04:44 PM
In the meantime I've got no clue what to do with Jane for a moment. As long as she stays around the boys they'll have a longer effect of the mental wave. Though I don't think the guys would like the idea that Jane accidentally messed with their mind. So right now she's weighing if she should stay or go. Then again for the plot I'm planning on setting up on 'Sunday' it would be nice if they left on a friendly note. :smallwink:

I could have Katsu interrupt? He was unaffected by her powers (In lieu of not being there at the time) and chaotic enough to get everybody on some weird quest for croissants or something and forget to talk about the mind-wave entirely!

Or at least quick enough to give them all a rap on the head and stare until they become friends again. :smalltongue:

Anyr
2011-02-04, 05:11 PM
...Then again for the plot I'm planning on setting up on 'Sunday' it would be nice if they left on a friendly note. :smallwink:

As far as Jirou goes, that's quite possibly what will happen. Assuming that the blast's effects are fading gradually rather than instantly, there's no reason to suppose that many of its targets will realise that it ever happened. After all, it's not as if any of the affected people actually remember the incident itself. And the human psyche tends to be very good at rationalising its own actions, whether or not it had anything to do with them. Anyway, that's the approach I'm planning to take with Jirou. Unless someone explicitly points out the discrepancies to him afterwards, he'll be none the wiser.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2011-02-04, 11:33 PM
Hi guys. So, uh, what did I miss? Would it be terribly offensive or nonsensical for me to jump back in?

Biographical Data:Name: Shelley Tieger
Level: 0
Official Status: Registered, non-threatening. (She is technically in the system from her initial tests, and detectors in Academy City will still identify her as legal if she starts showing psionic activity again; they aren't programmed to notice the discrepancy.)
Whatever: female
Appearance: 5'7", blonde, ponytail. Still looks rather thin, wobbly and anemic from a year of being nearly bedridden, but is recovering. Speaks with an accent that is especially obvious when she is excited.

Interests: Music, particularly that of extremely high definition;
Making fun of bad movies;
Making fun of good movies;
Chilling with her friends in the A/V club

Backstory:Shelley's family moved to Tokyo about nine years ago so that her mother could maintain her job at a cell-phone company. Her dad, previously a post-doctoral student at the university of Glasgow, eventually earned his professorship and joined the faculty of Academy City in the study of super science.

A little over a year ago, just after officially moving to the school dormitories, Shelley decided to volunteer for the testing program, figuring it would be fun. She was a little old for it (most kids are subjected to the tests in elementary school) but since her father was still really excited about the subject at the time, he went ahead and signed the waiver (because seriously, elementary school? That's crazy.)

It was not fun.After a few days of examinations both mental and physical, Shelley was subjected to a number of brain-jolting procedures geared toward the most promising avenue in her neurological profile. She fell asleep on the fourth day hooked up to a series of sensors, wires, and IVs.

During the night, she woke up to the sound of a phone ringing in the next room over. Okay, whatever, it's Japan and the walls are thin. She tried to get back to sleep.

She did not get back to sleep.

Throughout the night, Shelley's ears were assaulted by flushing toilets, ringing phones, and traffic noise. Gradually, these were joined by approaching footsteps, running water, whispers escalating into shouts, clicking keyboards turning into mad typewriter mashings. As the bright purple sunrise began to creep into the room, she clenched her eyes shut and covered her ears with her hands, only for the quickening sound of her own heartbeat to join the fray.

"MORNING, SUNSHINE."

Shelley opened her eyes. The sun was up, but the room was no less purple. Until the doctor loudly flicked on the fluorescent lights, at which point it turned green and pixelated. The doctor himself was glowing red, and his cologne reeked to high heaven. Shelley pinched her nose. She could still hear her own heartbeat, though it wasn't quite as loud as everyone's breathing. Everything was just merging together into crashing white noise at this point.

*CLOP* *CLOP* *CLOP* "...SHERRY? ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

She couldn't take it anymore.

"SH-*rk*"

She covered her ears again. Her own voice did that. That hurt.

Her eyes grew wide. Everything was pixels. She felt sick, and the cologne stench was not helping.

"HYPERVENTILATING... NURSE!"

"AAghsst... *sniff* *whimper*"

After an excruciating series of tests, it was deemed that Shelley was not fit for training. She was taken home to her parents with a pair of earmuffs and a letter detailing her new colorblindness and a list of other possible disabilities. She could barely recognize her mother through the green and red haze, and everyone's voices were completely distorted, but she could smell that she was home. At that point, that was all that mattered.

All of her senses were apparently damaged by the procedure, and thanks to the signed release forms, there was nothing for her to do but stay at home and adapt. Between then and now, Shelley has managed to regain enough of a grasp of her surroundings to be accepted back to school.

Power Explanation:(E)Sper Ability: Sensory Perception
Level 0: Her current level. Light and sound are compressed in their frequency spectra, new sensations are distracting, and loud noises are painful. Her powers are as often a liability as an asset.

Level 1: She finally gets a complete grip on the spectrum of information that her senses are giving her. She can distinguish light and sound frequencies as well as she could before, and can do the same with the new frequencies and smaller amplitudes she now has access to. She can distinguish between individuals by smell and can sometimes tell where a given person has been if they're particularly stinky. She starts to develop new nerve endings throughout her body, creating a more granular sense of touch that's mostly good for catching ticks and leeches.

Level 2: She learns to filter through sensory information for particular sights and sounds. With concentration, she can make out fine details as though using binoculars, listen to a whispered conversation on the other side of a crowd, or sniff out your lost cell phone in a pile of garbage.

Level 3: Her increasing sensory processing power readily does all of the level 2 feats in an instant. She can see your arm begin to tense up before you pull the trigger and twist aside, creating the illusion that she can dodge bullets. She can count the change in her purse without so much as reaching her hand in.

Level 4: With concentration, she can see great distances as though with a high-powered sniper scope. Close up, she make out the individual skin cells on the back of your hand. Her nose can match said skin cells up with the person they came from. If she can pick out your voice in a crowd, she can track it as you walk across town. She can feel her own hair and skin cells routinely sloughing off if she chooses to pay attention. She can count the change in your pocket without so much as looking at you. She can listen to your heartbeat from anywhere in the building. She can look a you and tell which of your organs is inflamed by its elevated temperature. She can track burrowing creatures by vibrations in the ground.

Level 5: In space, Shelley can hear you scream.New cells and neural connections were necessary to expand the amount of information coming in, and accelerated transmission and interaction was needed to put it to good use. You could say that she's manipulating her nervous system a bit more generally, but specializes in this one angle because the first, involuntary burst wound up tossing her down that road.

In the experiment, the new cells and connections were built in the initial sparks of her awakening. In her discomfort, she wound up suppressing the ability, but that didn't make the new connections go away. The speed and reaction enhancement that lets her process all of the new channels simultaneously requires that she actually have her psychicness turned on, so until that happens again her sensory nervous system just seems like a tangled mess.

I freely admit that the rules of cool, plot, and drama played into it as well. Shelley relies on a lot of technobabble for what eventually boils down to a simple "keen senses" shtick, but I guess that's psionics for you.

Anyr
2011-02-05, 01:45 AM
Hi guys. So, uh, what did I miss?

The robot attack was repelled by Espers; A trio of them then assembled to track down the source, but were hindered by the fact that two of them hated each other; Tokiwadai gained a new student called Avery Tychus, who managed to keep her coat under difficult circumstances; Hajime made a table; Hinata launched a premeditated dance attack on a flustered girl, which was surprisingly well received; They left to grab some food, just before everyone in their former location erupted into a spontaneous riot; The aforementioned Esper trio climbed into the sky on an invisible staircase and then came down on an invisible waterslide; Avery was recruited by a ragtag team of vigilantes with a penchant for thematic links; Kenta was held captive by a crazed Esper; And then physically crushed by another one; And then smashed with a psychic shockwave from a third; Oh, and his high score at the arcade was beaten too.

Would it be terribly offensive or nonsensical for me to jump back in?

Not at all. Welcome back.

Silverraptor
2011-02-05, 02:08 AM
So I guess we should work on to the next day, huh?

Lillith
2011-02-05, 03:32 AM
Alrighty, we'll just have to distract everybody to make sure none of them will realize what has happened. :smallwink:

Bago!!!
2011-02-05, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, whats the weather in the city like at the moment?

Anyr
2011-02-05, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, whats the weather in the city like at the moment?

Fine and sunny for the first time in a while. The weather is rather fickle at the moment, so it's anyone's guess what it will be tomorrow.

Bago!!!
2011-02-05, 09:17 PM
Is it relatively warm? Is there snow?

Edit: Also, would anyone mind if I bumped into someone as part of my intro?

Edit 2: What is the average size for people of 14-15?

Anyr
2011-02-05, 09:38 PM
Is it relatively warm? Is there snow?

It's warm today, but there was ice and light snow around yesterday. So yes, there are probably still patches of it left here and there.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2011-02-05, 10:01 PM
Nope! What is your guy going to be doing, most likely?

About 5'4" (http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-weight-teens.shtml), for both sexes.

Bago!!!
2011-02-06, 12:14 AM
Whoops... I made a tall 15 year old then... ^_^!

Anyway, my current idea was that he was to busy with thinking while walking that he bumps into someone, literally.

Silverraptor
2011-02-06, 12:48 AM
Just making sure. Were going to go through dinner, say good night, and then were going to start Sunday, correct?

Anyr
2011-02-06, 01:33 AM
Just making sure. Were going to go through dinner, say good night, and then were going to start Sunday, correct?

Nothing's set in stone yet. There's a general outline that's been floating around, but things could easily end up playing out differently.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-06, 07:43 AM
About 5'4" (http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/height-weight-teens.shtml), for both sexes.

Really? That's... 16 cm less than the average Dane according to Wikipedia (Seems accurate for the age range as well given that my 186 cm at the time was not the tallest in class at all.)

You people are tiny. :smalltongue:

Rhydeble
2011-02-06, 12:27 PM
In case someone didn't get the reference, Entwater is Cale's name for the water that Merry and pippin drink while among the ents, that caused them to grow much taller then the average hobbit.

Bago!!!
2011-02-06, 12:37 PM
I know about the reference. I even smiled a bit, though I am not sure if my character would get the reference right off the bat.

In any case, I just realized I forgot to add something! >w<
John is Bilingual. He's fluent in speaking English and Swedish.

Mina Kobold
2011-02-06, 01:52 PM
I know about the reference. I even smiled a bit, though I am not sure if my character would get the reference right off the bat.

In any case, I just realized I forgot to add something! >w<
John is Bilingual. He's fluent in speaking English and Swedish.

But not Japanese?

The entire game takes place in Japan so you'd expect he'd know. :smalltongue:

Bago!!!
2011-02-06, 05:25 PM
But not Japanese?

The entire game takes place in Japan so you'd expect he'd know. :smalltongue:

It's cultural background. He's currently striving to learn some words and phrases in japanese, but as of yet, he's only bilingual. ^_^

Anyr
2011-02-06, 05:55 PM
It's cultural background. He's currently striving to learn some words and phrases in japanese, but as of yet, he's only bilingual. ^_^

In that case, you might want to indicate this fact in his speech. The standard assumption is that people are speaking fluent Japanese, with any other languages being indicated with enclosing symbols (such as straight brackets). As it happens characters like Jirou and Jane speak fluent english anyway, but plenty of others don't. Avery, for example, may well be unable to understand his apology to her, which will affect her response to it.

Bago!!!
2011-02-06, 07:33 PM
I did indicate it in the posts I think but I'll change it when I can.

Edit: Wait... Is Jirou and Cale speaking english or japanese?

Silverraptor
2011-02-07, 12:14 PM
Nothing's set in stone yet. There's a general outline that's been floating around, but things could easily end up playing out differently.

Well, I'll just follow that course set unless something works out differently.

Anyr
2011-02-07, 01:04 PM
I did indicate it in the posts I think but I'll change it when I can.

Edit: Wait... Is Jirou and Cale speaking english or japanese?

Japanese; That's the default. When speaking english their words are always enclosed in markers to distinguish it from the norm. For instance, Jirou uses "[Square brackets.]".

Bago!!!
2011-02-07, 01:26 PM
Japanese; That's the default. When speaking english their words are always enclosed in markers to distinguish it from the norm. For instance, Jirou uses "[Square brackets.]".

Then he completely and totally didn't understand what they said.

Edit: Just finished editing my post. Now it's more proper of a response for someone who doesn't understand japanese.

hanzo66
2011-02-08, 12:16 PM
OK, lost track a while ago due to inactivity. Exactly what's happened so far?

Silverraptor
2011-02-08, 12:18 PM
There is a mess in front of the Arcade. Everyone is trying to recover after getting punched in the brain.

If we are going to move steadily into tomorrow, I might as well take Jason home and hope to get teamed up with people in the morning.

Bago!!!
2011-02-08, 01:10 PM
OK, lost track a while ago due to inactivity. Exactly what's happened so far?

Well, more recently, Jane has accepted your baguit, my character bumped into your character, speaking appologies in english, and then Jirou is making sure the baguette is fine. And Cale is talking about entwater.

In the grand scheme of things... Arcade ruined, people congregating around Jane, Jane accepting a baguette and the baguette could possibly be in danger.

Lillith
2011-02-08, 04:05 PM
And both me and Jane are wondering why people are congregating around Jane. :smallwink: I'm bit at a loss of what to do with the story though until we're at a new day. Unless I could get some anti skill and send everybody home? No place for kids and the like.