PDA

View Full Version : mithiril breastplate, can I have it both ways?

Moginheden
2010-12-14, 08:27 PM
I've got an assassin who died last session and was reincarnated. Because of the level loss and assassins needing points in pretty much every ability my hit points are abysmal compared to the rest of the party, (A barbarian, cleric and druid.) Since I was a halfling and now I'm a half-orc I also lost 2 dex and the small size bonuses to AC.

I'm looking to avoid dieing again, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to max out my defenses. We just looted 5,000g each and I'm wondering about using mine on a mithril breastplate and saving up for a lesser Iron ward diamond, (MIC 26) to put in it.

What I'm wondering is would it even work for me. Can someone check my assumptions and correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm the group's scout so I can't have an armour check penalty. Mithril reduces the check from 3 to 1, and it says all mithril items are masterwork so if I'm reading it right that means a 0 check penalty.

As an assassin I cast spells "as a bard" so I can cast in armor, but only if it's light. Because it's mithril I think the breastplate works for this.

The lesser iron ward diamond requires a plus 1 armour, (I figure I can sell my old gear that's too small to make up the difference to make the new stuff +1) but it also requires "medium or heavy armor." A breastplate is normally medium. The mithril version weighs less so it's "light" but it's still a significant chunk of metal and that's what I'd expect this requirement is for. Can I use the gem?

Would I be better off skipping the armor and going for something else to avoid another death? (I've currently got a non-masterwork leather armor that fits my new form.)

Marnath
2010-12-14, 08:41 PM
Mithril stuff is always masterwork, it's figured into the -3 already. So you'd be at -1.

Mithril breastplate is light armor, so no you can't use the gem.

ericgrau
2010-12-14, 09:27 PM
Technically you can't use the gem but I'd look at the fluff for it and, if it fits, ask the DM if it's ok.

If not then +2 mithril chain shirt provides the same AC for 2k less, and leaves more room for your dex to grow. Do also get a ring of protection +1 and maybe an amulet of natural armor +1, if you aren't already using the slot for an amulet of health or some such. A +1 buckler is a cheap way to add another 2 AC, and if defense is an issue you'll be more effective than a TWFer as you'll be fighting for more rounds before shouting for help. Once you get some consistent greater invis or a ring of blinking you could maybe switch back later, but even then the -2 AB and cost of having two weapons makes it questionable at very high levels when you already have a lot of attacks anyway and the -2 hurts each and every one of them. Masterwork (and +1) bucklers have no armor check penalty and therefore no penalty for nonproficiency.

The Mentalist
2010-12-14, 09:37 PM
ask the DM if it's ok.

This is the answer to your query.

Darrin
2010-12-15, 12:13 AM
I'm the group's scout so I can't have an armour check penalty. Mithril reduces the check from 3 to 1, and it says all mithril items are masterwork so if I'm reading it right that means a 0 check penalty.

Mithral already includes the -1 for masterwork, so it the ACP on a mithral breastplate is -1. (Note: The table with mithral breastplate in Races of the Wild is wrong.)

What's your Dex bonus currently? You might want to consider Darkleaf (A&EG p. 19 or ECS p. 120). For medium armor, it's only +2250 GP (mithral is +4000 GP). It increases the Max Dex by +1 and reduces ACP by 2. However, Darkleaf is not automatically considered masterwork quality, so you can drop your ACP by 1 more for another +150 GP.

You can also get your ACP down to zero if you use the Hellforged template (DMGII p. 277) before you apply the masterwork or darkleaf modifiers. Hellforged costs +1000 GP, reduces Max Dex by 1, and reduces ACP by 1 (minimum 1). So:

Breastplate: 150 GP
Masterwork: +150 GP
Hellforged: +1000 GP
Darkleaf: +2250 GP
Total: 3550 GP
Armor Bonus: +5, Max Dex: +3, ACP: 0

You can also do this with a Tumbler's Breastplate (Races of Stone p. 158, +2 circumstance bonus to Tumble checks). Once the ACP is down to zero, the non-proficiency penalty becomes zero, and you can wear it without blowing a feat on Exotic Armor Proficiency.

The lesser iron ward diamond requires a plus 1 armour, (I figure I can sell my old gear that's too small to make up the difference to make the new stuff +1) but it also requires "medium or heavy armor." A breastplate is normally medium. The mithril version weighs less so it's "light" but it's still a significant chunk of metal and that's what I'd expect this requirement is for. Can I use the gem?

The Iron Ward Diamond won't work on a mithral breastplate. You treat it as light armor, not medium.

The best general-use augment crystal for light armor is either Lesser Crystal of Mind Cloaking (4000 GP, +3 competence bonus on mind-affecting spells/abilities) or Lesser Rubicund Frenzy (2000 GP, +3 morale bonus on damage when HP < 50%, if you're always low on HP make 'em pay for it).

As soon as you can afford it, get at least a buckler +1 and put a Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection on it (2500 GP): +5 untyped AC bonus against *all* ranged attacks.

DR generally isn't worth the expense. By the time you can afford a decent amount of it, there's so many things that can bypass it that it becomes almost irrelevant. If you really need those extra hit points, an Amulet of Tears costs just a little bit more (2300 GP) but can give you up to 36 extra HP per day.

Would I be better off skipping the armor and going for something else to avoid another death? (I've currently got a non-masterwork leather armor that fits my new form.)

See how your DM feels about chain shirt + dastana + chahar-aina. The dastana is in the A&EG and Oriental Adventures. The chahar-aina is found only in Oriental Adventures. Both add a +1 AC bonus that explicitly stacks with existing armor and shield bonuses. This is usually a lot cheaper than a mithral breastplate, and offers better protection: +6 total AC bonus, and each item can be enchanted separately. There are a variety of opinions on if enhancement bonueses from dastanas/chahar-ainas stack with your existing armor... the official FAQ for OA says you only get the highest enhancement bonus of the three (plus whatever your shield + enhancement gives you), but the FAQ isn't RAW. Even if they don't stack, it's cheaper to enchant a dastana +1 and/or chahar-aina +1 than a chain shirt with multiple enhancements already on it.

Getting some source of concealment/miss chance may be better in the long run than trying to buy up your AC. The cheapest all-day concealment would be adding armor spikes +1 with the smoking property (+1 enhancement, Lords of Darkness p. 180), 8350 GP. Actually, for another +150 GP, make them Netcutter Spikes (Races of the Wild p. 167), and you get a +4 circumstance bonus on any check to get out of an entangle effect.

Another way to avoid that permanent dirt nap: a few immediate-action items. Such as:

For energy damage, pick up an Enduring Amulet (1500 GP, MIC p. 97, gain up to fire/cold resistance 20 as an immediate action) and/or a Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC p. 87, gain resistance 10 to one energy type as an immediate action).

For everything else, add a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) to one of your weapons/shields with a wand of wings of cover (Races of the Dragon): as an immediate action, negate a single attack. Other good wand-able immediate-action spells: close wounds (Spell Compendium, cures 1d4+3 HP), instant of power (Forge of War, +4 enhancement bonus on your next attack, save, or damage roll).

Marnath
2010-12-15, 01:07 AM
A mithril breastplate is still medium armor, it's just treated as light for movement and other limitations (ie feats, class features, etc).

You know what else is a "limitation?"

"This armor crystal can only be used with medium or heavy armor." :amused:

Mithril breastplates are not eligible for the lesser iron ward diamond.