PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ways to build mechanical vehicles

AustontheGreat1
2010-12-14, 08:32 PM
I posted this as a p.s. in another post but did't get a lot of answers, though it did find the other thing I was looking for...

Does anyone know where I can find a write up for building a mechanical car or tank or something. Offensive power isn't really what I'm looking for, I just need something fast that can transport a party, and look awesome doing it. I'd like to build it with as little magic as possible.

Maybe a 3rd party book or something, focused on mechanical/steampunk stuff?

I got one answer but wan't satisfied with them, what's the point of being an artificer if you still have to be pulled around by horses and what not. Teleporting is efficient, but it lacks style.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-14, 08:37 PM
Make a Huge Apparatus of the Crab? You get a massive crab robot :P

Otherwise you can make a Tenser's Floating Wagon by casting Tenser's Disk and putting the disks in slots to make it fly.

druid91
2010-12-14, 09:22 PM
The old 3.0 arms and equipment book had rules for self propelled wagons. whether that means steam power or magic was up to you I think.

ericgrau
2010-12-14, 09:37 PM
Well you need either magic or tech or a little of both. You could mount it on a flying carpet. Spell compendium also has a greater floating disc that you can direct around.

To make an actual steam engine may or may not be more tech than your DM is expecting. And I can't see magic replacing anything but the fire, which really doesn't change things much. A spell that generates pressure or better yet motion would be required to lower the tech involvement.

Or you could try a sail car propelled by fan feather tokens.

AustontheGreat1
2010-12-14, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys but I found a copy of Sorcery and Steam and it has pretty much everything I'm looking for.

Endarire
2010-12-14, 09:50 PM
If you're creative, consider astral construct's resources (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179726).

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 05:25 AM
Animate object something that looks like a hollow giant big legged thing?

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-15, 05:35 AM
Would it be possible to attach a gearbox to the axle of a wagon, and animate the gears for motion? :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 05:42 AM
Would it be possible to attach a gearbox to the axle of a wagon, and animate the gears for motion? :smallconfused:
I would imagine so, but the only reason you would want to do that would be to make an item that would turn, with a little work, any wagon into a self propelled vehicle. Not a bad idea, to be honest. Your vehicle gets blown up, just save the "engine". Even awaken construct on it so you can have a bickering 'engine' like Calcifer.

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-15, 06:03 AM
A wagon or a ship. It wouldn't be fast, but you could do it sooner than you'd be able to animate the entire wagon.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 06:31 AM
A wagon or a ship. It wouldn't be fast, but you could do it sooner than you'd be able to animate the entire wagon.
True. It would make a wonderful component of a magi-technological civilisation.