PDA

View Full Version : Working Mario Kart into D&D

Chilingsworth
2010-12-14, 09:54 PM
I've recently gotting my fiance into D&D. She's also into Mario Kart. We sometimes feel conflicted as to which to play. Can anyone think of some ways to mix the two?

Thanks in advance!

HunterOfJello
2010-12-14, 10:13 PM
If the player likes riding around on something and shooting things at people then a Halfling or Gnome Druid who rides around on their War Dog animal companion could be effective.

Hal
2010-12-14, 10:16 PM
"I cast Blue Shell."

"Darn it, Bob, we said no powergaming!"

"Fine. Lightning Bolt!"

Dr.Epic
2010-12-14, 10:19 PM
What?:smallconfused: But, go carts don't exist in D&D, and if they did, why not just build regularly sized vehicles that don't make adults feel cramped in it?

BridgeCity
2010-12-14, 10:36 PM
I was under the impression you were looking for a way to actually play Mario Kart within your D&D sessions, is that correct?

If so, you could possibly do something like when the party travels somewhere, you take a break and have a race on Mario kart. If the Dm wins, then the monsters in the random encounters or whatever have a small bonus, if the players win, the players get a small bonus.

It's not something I'd do, but it seems like an OK way to sort of tie it in, Karting with travel, and have it affect the game.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-14, 10:41 PM
I was under the impression you were looking for a way to actually play Mario Kart within your D&D sessions, is that correct?

If so, you could possibly do something like when the party travels somewhere, you take a break and have a race on Mario kart. If the Dm wins, then the monsters in the random encounters or whatever have a small bonus, if the players win, the players get a small bonus.

It's not something I'd do, but it seems like an OK way to sort of tie it in, Karting with travel, and have it affect the game.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's not the kind of thing I'd usually think about, either, lol.

BenTheJester
2010-12-14, 10:45 PM
Mario Kart is fun because of the fast, low thinking gameplay

DnD is fun because of the interactivity and the ability to create anything you want

I love both, but they can't really combine.

Zaq
2010-12-14, 11:07 PM
Actually, I was once part of a campaign that more or less devolved into D&D Mario Kart. We had this souped-up artifact-level wagon, and we got entered in a no-holds-barred street race, and . . . yeah. It was a great ending to the campaign. Wouldn't work all the time, though.

Akal Saris
2010-12-14, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I like BridgeCity's idea. Play D&D 4E, and whenever the game calls for a skills challenge, play a game of Mario Kart. Probably will be more fun and well-designed anyhow.

BridgeCity
2010-12-14, 11:21 PM
Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's not the kind of thing I'd usually think about, either, lol.

Yeah, I like BridgeCity's idea. Play D&D 4E, and whenever the game calls for a skills challenge, play a game of Mario Kart. Probably will be more fun and well-designed anyhow.

Glad I could help.

I was once part of a group where myself and another were the two obvius leaders of the party, and we often differed on what was the best course of action and things like that. The rest of the group didn't care either way most of the time, and so to keep it from being a popularity contest and someone feeling put upon we opted to have decisions decided by playing Soul Calibur. My friend and I were about equally good, and so I'd always go as Sigfried and he'd always go as Nightmare, and the party would follow the idea of whoever won the fight.

It was a hell of a lot of fun really, and a nice way to break up the longer D&D sessions.

DisgruntledDM
2010-12-14, 11:42 PM

Also, look up D20 Modern SRD. It has rules for driving. You could probably figure out how to add all of Mario Kart's goofiness in.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-14, 11:53 PM
The OP is not asking for rules on kart races in DND. The OP wants to combine DND with Mario Kart. The video game.

And my answer is? Joking ideas aside, not really possible. Play Mario Karts when on a mid-session break. Or, even better, don't play something one of you don't feel like playing at the moment - go for one of the two, not both.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-15, 12:11 AM
The OP is not asking for rules on kart races in DND. The OP wants to combine DND with Mario Kart. The video game.

And my answer is? Joking ideas aside, not really possible. Play Mario Karts when on a mid-session break. Or, even better, don't play something one of you don't feel like playing at the moment - go for one of the two, not both.

This. Video games and tabletop roleplaying games combine poorly. Everyone ends up doing one of the two.

IMO, mix it up, play whichever you feel like, but get some variety. Don't expect to do both at once.

Jothki
2010-12-15, 12:13 AM
Mario Kart is fun because of the fast, low thinking gameplay

DnD is fun because of the interactivity and the ability to create anything you want

I love both, but they can't really combine.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts?

BridgeCity
2010-12-15, 12:15 AM

Eh, I feel that as long as the whole group wants to go along with it, it can be really easy to mix the two.

Chilingsworth
2010-12-15, 08:24 AM
Thanks everyone! So, it sounds like the games would be difficult to combine except maybe situationally. Oh well, c'est la vie!

druid91
2010-12-15, 08:40 AM
In my old group we would split up. A lot. Anyway this was handled by the ones not present playing halo until it was their turn. Or until they became present again.

Occasional modifications to events were necessary. Such as the time where the DM had to say "Ok, slight change of events. Around noon you saw a massive lightning bolt from no-where strike the docks."