PDA

View Full Version : I Need Optimization

Drynwyn
2010-12-14, 10:05 PM
I need advice for optimizing a Level 10 Gestalt Evil Sor/Wiz. All help is appreciated. 49000 gp available. No BoVD or homebrew.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-14, 10:14 PM
I need advice for optimizing a Level 10 Gestalt Evil Sor/Wiz. All help is appreciated. 49000 gp available. No BoVD or homebrew.

Sorceror//Wizard? If you want to be Optimized take Cleric//Wizard :smallbiggrin:

Then you might be a match for my Firebender//Fighter :smallbiggrin:

d13
2010-12-14, 10:15 PM
Sorceror//Wizard? If you want to be Optimized take Archivist//Wizard :smallbiggrin:

There, I fixed it for you.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-14, 10:20 PM
There, I fixed it for you.

I'll still win. Unlimited AoOs, 20feet reach Longsword made of Fire, 20D6 ranged attacks at +14/+9 for a full round action as many times as I want and any spell that uses the Air or Fire (not descriptors but ANYTHING even a spark or a breeze) I can force a SR check with a DC of 1D20+13, if you fail I can redirect it to anyone.

Halae
2010-12-14, 10:27 PM
I'll still win. Unlimited AoOs, 20feet reach Longsword made of Fire, 20D6 ranged attacks at +14/+9 for a full round action as many times as I want and any spell that uses the Air or Fire (not descriptors but ANYTHING even a spark or a breeze) I can force a SR check with a DC of 1D20+13, if you fail I can redirect it to anyone.

we are, fortunately, not looking for a challenge here, simply optimizing what he has given us

my suggestion is to take a certain feat from Bastards and Bloodlines. it allows you to choose what your spellcasting works off of for one class, so changing sorcerer's charisma base to intelligence would greatly reduce MAD. I believe it's called Ancients something. Been a long time since I've looked in the book.

past that, look into getting red wizard, as well as master spellthief with 2 levels of spelltheif. suddenly, you have ridiculous caster levels! And with the feat Reserves of Strength you can uncap your spells. I remember seeing threads contemplating the use of this, getting a magic missile spell that did 63k damage on average and a fireball that covered a 5620 mile radius and did over 400d6 damage with no save. the fact that you have more spells to pump up like this is even better.

Also, remember to take wings of cover on the sorcerer side. incredibly useful spell, and cn shut down pretty much anything that requires an attack roll

nolispe
2010-12-14, 11:18 PM
Although the Archivist//Wizard would still beat that.

dextercorvia
2010-12-14, 11:32 PM

To eliminate MAD without a third party feat, choose one of your classes (Sorcerer probably) to do solely spells without saves: utility, RTA's, buffs. Let your high stat side do more of the Save or X spells. Finally use Versatile Spellcaster to allow you to switch out in a pinch.

By level 10 you can have metamagic reducers stacked pretty well: Easy Metamagic and Practical Metamagic (Silverbrow human helps here) will reduce the cost of one metamagic feat by two spell levels. Alternatively, try Incantrix, or Ultimate Magus(It will only advance one side, but it provides CL bumps and alternate cost metamagic). Mage of the Arcane Order would also be a good use for your spell slots. You won't have any trouble paying off the spelldebt to have access to any sorcerer/wizard spell.

Mastikator
2010-12-14, 11:33 PM
Archivist/Incarnatrix//Erudite (spell to power) 10 would be pretty optimal I would imagine.

Keld Denar
2010-12-15, 02:11 AM
Instead of Wiz//Sorc, you might consider Wiz//Beguiler? Alternatively, Wiz//Archivist as suggested, which gets you basically EVERY spell ever printed, including Paladin spells, Ranger spells, and Druid spells.

Godskook
2010-12-15, 02:36 AM
Another vote for wizard//archivist, but an alternative that is still very SAD is wizard//psion.

Beyond that, I can't really advise since I don't study much on the necromantic builds in D&D.

What books are you using for this build, cause this screams of homebrew in my head.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 02:50 AM
Another vote for wizard//archivist, but an alternative that is still very SAD is wizard//psion.

Beyond that, I can't really advise since I don't study much on the necromantic builds in D&D.

What books are you using for this build, cause this screams of homebrew in my head.

Another vote for Wizard//Archivist for me

3rd party book about Avatar. I'm a Firebender//Fighter. AoO from CombatReflexes->IntuitiveReflexes*->SuperiorReflexes*
20feet reach longsword from one of the spells: Burning Blade (Move to create Free to sustain)
20D6 from Claw of the Phoenix (another spell)

*Feats in the book

Link to PDF (http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf)

Godskook
2010-12-15, 02:58 AM
Another vote for Wizard//Archivist for me

3rd party book about Avatar. I'm a Firebender//Fighter. AoO from CombatReflexes->IntuitiveReflexes*->SuperiorReflexes*
20feet reach longsword from one of the spells: Burning Blade (Move to create Free to sustain)
20D6 from Claw of the Phoenix (another spell)

*Feats in the book

Link to PDF (http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf)

Its generally expected that a thread asking for optimization is only wanting official sources.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 03:01 AM
Its generally expected that a thread asking for optimization is only wanting official sources.

You asked what my build was. I wasn't offering it as a build for him to use but as a rough power level of the team. I'm supporting the Wizard//Archivist build

Ilmryn
2011-01-03, 09:41 PM
Yah, Incantatrix is a good PrC if you want OP. I could led you the book for that if you want to, drynwyn.

Psyren
2011-01-03, 09:52 PM
Then you might be a match for my Firebender//Fighter :smallbiggrin:

No BoVD or homebrew.

3rd-party is just published homebrew.

@ OP: Dump Sorcerer and take Psion in your gestalt instead. Just as spontaneous, loads more synergy.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-03, 10:07 PM
Assuming he actually wants to play a sorcerer//wizard, and not something completely different, how about trying to get Ultimate Magus levels? Double progression PrCs are usually out in gestalt, but see if you can get it allowed without the dual progression mechanic. It's the class features you're interested in.

Urpriest
2011-01-03, 10:15 PM
I'd stick with Incantrix if you want optimization. Put the levels on your Sorceror side, since the Wizard side gets class features.