PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mussings on Assassin's and Rangers. Help needed

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-15, 12:16 AM
A few questions that arose for me thinking on making a ranger-ish assassin. Obviously the first idea was to make a simple Ranger 5/Assassin 10/Something 5 easy, simple and boring.

Then I started to think on ways to get the assassin spells on the ranger list, but I don't know of any official (as in first party source material) way of doing it.that lead me to think on the Sword of the Arcane order feat. I thought it could be interesting (and not overpowered) to homebrew a feat similar to SotAO but that instead of letting prepare Wiz spells, worked with assassin spells (which are much weaker IMO).
The problem is that I don't know how to adjudicate the spells issue, SotAO mentions preparing the wiz spells from the spellbook; but Assassin is a spontaneous class and I am not sure how I should factor that into my hypothetical Sword of the Shadow order feat.

I also thought on an ACF for the ranger styles, that got poison use, death attack and somethign else, but it was just an afterthought.

So thoughts, comments or ideas?

WinWin
2010-12-15, 01:19 AM
Black Flame Zealot could work for ranger, though would require a rogue or similar multiclass for the required SA.

The Divine Magician ACF might be a good starting point if you are developing a way to gain Assassin spells on the Ranger list.

Picking something for the ranger to lose would be the tough part.

An alternative would be finding a way to access the Spell Domain. Anyspell could allow you to prepare any Assassin spell.

Scribing Assassin spells into a spellbook is technically possible, though they would not be usable by a wizard. Otherwise your character would require a scroll of the spell you wanted to cast.