PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Climbing a wall of force?

DonDuckie
2010-12-15, 02:53 AM
Is it possible to climb up a wall of force?

I can't find any sources on the subject. I always imagined touching a force-substance was like sqeezing two magnetic southpoles together, thereby having zero friction along the surface.

What's your take on this? Personally, I wouldn't allow climbing force below high-epic skill challenges. Unless the rules say it's possible, I guess.

SilverLeaf167
2010-12-15, 02:58 AM
I would use the DC for climbing a perfectly flat vertical surface.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-15, 03:12 AM
this is what ladders and Spider Poles are for

Amiel
2010-12-15, 06:42 AM
It is indeed possible to scale a wall of force; a literal climbing of the force effect may require a DC 70 or DC 100 Climb check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#climb).

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 08:05 AM
It is indeed possible to scale a wall of force; a literal climbing of the force effect may require a DC 70 or DC 100 Climb check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#climb).
That would be fairly easy if you focused on it, what with the way a) skill boosting items are so cheap amd b) all the different types of bonuses there are.

AnswersQuestion
2010-12-15, 08:12 AM
Is it possible to climb up a wall of force?

I can't find any sources on the subject. I always imagined touching a force-substance was like sqeezing two magnetic southpoles together, thereby having zero friction along the surface.

What's your take on this? Personally, I wouldn't allow climbing force below high-epic skill challenges. Unless the rules say it's possible, I guess.

Despite the name, force effects tend to be tangible. A wall of force would qualify for "perfectly flat and smooth surface"

DonDuckie
2010-12-15, 08:26 AM
Despite the name, force effects tend to be tangible. A wall of force would qualify for "perfectly flat and smooth surface"

A good point, but I would say that the epic escape artist info points to it being a different meaning of tangible. (a DC 120 Escape Artist check allows you to pass through a wall of force, but not a regular wall).

Also: a 10 ft high wall of force wouldn't do much you could jump and get a hold on the top of it.

I'm beginning to like this topic... what are the proberties of force?

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 08:30 AM
I'm beginning to like this topic... what are the proberties of force?
Ever read 2001: A Space Odyssey? Think how the monolith is described, how the hand skitters off it. For a more down to earth example, you know that feeling when you push to same poled magnet ends together? Yeah, like that.

Amiel
2010-12-15, 08:34 AM
Force effects can harm or block incorporeal creatures; which may mean that its natural state bypasses the physicality of the mundane world and reaches into the ethereal plane.