PDA

View Full Version : Someone has bought the Star Wars licence...

Katana_Geldar
2010-12-15, 03:19 AM
And it's not Mongoose (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=552022)

I wonder who it is?

Matthew
2010-12-17, 07:02 PM
Hmmn. I guess it has to be one of the bigger players like Paizo or White Wolf, but I guess AEG, Cubicle Seven and Weiss Productions amongst others are known for picking up properties.

Kylarra
2010-12-17, 07:07 PM
White wolf would be interesting, but kind of unlikely I think.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-17, 07:13 PM
White Wolve: ideas
1) Jedi: the Force awakening.
2) Star Wars: A different emotion (instead of a new hope).

Semidi
2010-12-17, 07:16 PM
I seriously don't think it's White Wolf, if they had purchased it, I'm pretty sure the rumor mills around the various LARPing organizations connected to WW (which I'm a part of) would have started about it.

Grynning
2010-12-17, 09:27 PM
I hope to God it's Green Ronin. Star Wars mixed with the M&M system sounds amazing to me.

SurlySeraph
2010-12-17, 09:43 PM
However, I am sure many will find it intriguing that the licence covers card games, RPGs, and... miniatures. Now, the company concerned is not known for its miniatures lines...

Known for card games and RPGs, not known for minis? It's not too early to rule out WotC. Steve Jackson Games and Green Ronin are plausible.

White Wolf Star Wars is the kind of thing that would make WW fans *and* Star Wars fans cry, and I'd be very surprised if it were the case.

Duos Greanleef
2010-12-17, 10:39 PM
Didn't WotC drop the Star Wars license?
It was my understanding that this is why it was up for grabs.
Am I mistaken?

true_shinken
2010-12-17, 10:42 PM
I hope to God it's Green Ronin. Star Wars mixed with the M&M system sounds amazing to me.

This man speaks words of golden wisdom! Heed his words for they are the truth!

The Big Dice
2010-12-18, 12:40 AM
Known for card games and RPGs, not known for minis? It's not too early to rule out WotC. Steve Jackson Games and Green Ronin are plausible.
This just screams AEG to me.

Mando Knight
2010-12-18, 12:51 AM
Didn't WotC drop the Star Wars license?
It was my understanding that this is why it was up for grabs.
Am I mistaken?

They did, but there's the possibility that they realized the mistake of letting Hasbro's near-monopoly on toy-and-game related Star Wars merchandise (excepting, of course, LEGO and video games) lapse. Or that they managed to grab a renewal on the license at a lower price point than what Lucas Licensing was looking at back when WotC dropped the lines.

Gadora
2010-12-18, 01:58 AM

Not Green Ronin (http://freeport-pirate.livejournal.com/136575.html).

Speculation over here (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=552022) seems to be putting Fantasy Flight Games at the forefront.

Swordguy
2010-12-18, 02:53 AM
This just screams AEG to me.

Agreed. The L5R card game was second only to M:tG for some time, and persists even now with a none-too-moderate following of players. AEGs followed that up with a variety of RPGs including four editions of L5R, Spycraft, Stargate SG-1 (proving they can deal with a license - they did nothing wrong when they lost it, it was all on MGM's part), and 7th Sea.

I'd put good money on it being AEG. I just hope they can edit it better than they've done with RPGs in the past - AEG products have become known for below-average editing, largely due to the "garage business" nature of the company. L5R RPG editors didn't even get proof copies of their books to ensure that the printer did their job right!

raitalin
2010-12-18, 05:44 AM
SJG says no, Green Ronin says no, Mongoose says no, Margret Weis says no, Fantasy Flight games says "We do not comment on speculation. Any and all public knowledge is available on our website." Hmmm.

Based on the resources available to the respective companies, I'm thinking Fantasy Flight is a lot more likely than AEG.

Looks like this might mean some awesome Star Wars board games, which I'm all for.

FelixG
2010-12-18, 05:50 AM
White Wolf Star Wars is the kind of thing that would make WW fans *and* Star Wars fans cry, and I'd be very surprised if it were the case.

I would be quite annoyed if WW made a starwars RPG

Tetsubo 57
2010-12-18, 08:22 AM
Do we really *need* another SW game though? Just to get it back in print? We have the Revised D20 version and SAGA. My SW needs have been met forever. What are people looking for in the game that hasn't already been done? Plus there is the fan created material out there for Savage Worlds and it's free.

FelixG
2010-12-18, 09:38 AM
Do we really *need* another SW game though? Just to get it back in print? We have the Revised D20 version and SAGA. My SW needs have been met forever. What are people looking for in the game that hasn't already been done? Plus there is the fan created material out there for Savage Worlds and it's free.

They may publish a new version of the D6 starwars, more material ect

One can dream!

Matthew
2010-12-18, 10:25 AM
They may publish a new version of the D6 starwars, more material ect

One can dream!

That would be awesome. D6 has gone open license as well, so it might not be completely unlikely...

The Big Dice
2010-12-18, 11:47 AM
I'd put good money on it being AEG. I just hope they can edit it better than they've done with RPGs in the past - AEG products have become known for below-average editing, largely due to the "garage business" nature of the company. L5R RPG editors didn't even get proof copies of their books to ensure that the printer did their job right!
I'd like it to be AEG that got the licesnse. I might even be tempted to pickup a copy of the game if it is.

As for their editing, it has improved. The Legend of the Burniong Sands book only had minor issues, certainly no worse than any other company. The same goes for the 4th edition L5R core book. I've not seen the newr books for the 4th edition line, but they do seem to have learned (and changed their practises) since the 3rd edition revised disaster.

NX_Phoenix
2010-12-18, 04:48 PM
I'd also guess Fantasy Flight Games. They do have experience and infrastructure for making RPGs, card games, and miniature games as covered my the license. Also, have a minimal presence in the latter area (their experience is more fitting with highly detailed game pieces than full miniatures), which would fit with the comments about the mystery company's experience with miniatures.