PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Eureka Moment! Free demoralise with every attack

abadguy
2010-12-15, 03:21 AM
So was doing some light reading today. Planar Handbook and some Dragon Magazines.

Then lightning struck!

First take a Bariaur (Planar Handbook). They are like Ikea Outsider Centaurs with SR for only LA+1. Actually they are more awesome than Centaurs.
Racial Entry -
Quadruped: As quadrupeds, bariaurs have a +4 bonus on checks to resist bull rush and trip attacks. They have a carrying capacity 1-1/2 times greater than normal for their Strength. They must wear barding (usually made of studded leather) instead of normal armor and cannot wear boots designed for humanoids.

Question here: is this Quadruped entry unique to Bariaur? Seems they should apply to races like Centaur but MM doesn't list this.

Next read Dragon #349 article on Animal Battle Gear.
One of the items there is the Grotesque Barding: An animal wearing grotesque barding tkaes a -1 to attack rools but automatically attempts to demoralise any creature it attacks, gaining a +2 circumstance bonus on the Intimidate check. This demoralising check is made as part of the animal's attack and require s no conscious choice by the animal, nor an additional standard action.

Wow, pair that up with Imperious command and all the fear stacking stuff. Even ray and touch spells work as it is an "attack".

arguskos
2010-12-15, 03:25 AM
Doesn't work. Animal is a defined type in 3.5. Bauriars aren't Animals, they're Outsiders. Sorry dude.

However, give this to a Blackguard's warhorse mount and have the mount attack someone while the Blackguard fights from the saddle. That could be good times.

faceroll
2010-12-15, 03:32 AM
That quadruped stuff is sprinkled out through out the PHB in places about dripping, lifting, carrying, bull rushes, etc.

abadguy
2010-12-15, 03:56 AM
Mmm I suppose it could work if there was some way to get the Animal type/subtype ... no wonder there was no mention of this combo when I googled it before posting this up *shrug*

faceroll
2010-12-15, 04:51 AM
Animal type requires 2 or less intelligence. It is RAW unplayable.

Eldan
2010-12-15, 05:10 AM
It is silly, however, that you have to be an animal for it to work. Talk to your DM about it.

Also, as Bariaurs are one of the main races of Planescape, I wholeheartedly approve.

Person_Man
2010-12-15, 11:03 AM
As a side note, a Fighter 11 with the Zhentarim Fighter add-on (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) can Demoralize as a Swift Action. Not as nifty as a Free Action, but still very handy when combined with Imperious Command.

Honestly though, no reason you couldn't put this on an Animal Companion or Special Mount (or just buy a herd of donkeys), assuming your DM allows abusive Dragon Magazine material.

true_shinken
2010-12-15, 02:54 PM
Mmm I suppose it could work if there was some way to get the Animal type/subtype ...
Hello, forumites, look at your character, now back to a horse, now back at your character, now back to a horse. Sadly, he isn’t a horse, but if he started putting ranks into Use Magic Device, he could smell like a horse. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a battlefield with your character like the horse he smells like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s grotesque barding, that thing you love. Look again, your race is now diamonds. Anything is possible when your character has ranks in Use Magic Device.
I’m a horse.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-15, 03:07 PM
Question here: is this Quadruped entry unique to Bariaur? Seems they should apply to races like Centaur but MM doesn't list this.
Nah, the MM assumed the DM is applying common sense to its quadrupeds. It’s players reading stats fashioned specifically for player races rather than monster entries that require the consequences of being a quadruped spelled out for them. Silly players.

Psyren
2010-12-15, 03:40 PM
Nah, the MM assumed the DM is applying common sense to its quadrupeds. It’s players reading stats fashioned specifically for player races rather than monster entries that require the consequences of being a quadruped spelled out for them. Silly players.

Don't be too harsh - Planar Handbook came out well after the MM, so it may just not have occurred to them then.

Hello, forumites, look at your character, now back to a horse, now back at your character, now back to a horse. Sadly, he isn’t a horse, but if he started putting ranks into Use Magic Device, he could smell like a horse. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a battlefield with your character like the horse he smells like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s grotesque barding, that thing you love. Look again, the barding is now a pair of horseshoes of flame. Anything is possible when your character smells has ranks in Use Magic Device.
I’m a horse.

Your race is now diamonds

true_shinken
2010-12-15, 03:57 PM
Your race is now diamonds
Edited for great justice. :smallcool:

faceroll
2010-12-15, 08:21 PM
Hello, forumites, look at your character, now back to a horse, now back at your character, now back to a horse. Sadly, he isn’t a horse, but if he started putting ranks into Use Magic Device, he could smell like a horse. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a battlefield with your character like the horse he smells like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s grotesque barding, that thing you love. Look again, your race is now diamonds. Anything is possible when your character has ranks in Use Magic Device.
I’m a horse.

Haha, priceless!

But actually, this reminded me of the spell Aspect of the Wolf. It's druid1, ranger 1, in spc, and explicitly changes your type to animal. It lasts 10 min/level. Easily dipped or UMD'd, or serves the base of a ranger build.

true_shinken
2010-12-15, 08:29 PM
But actually, this reminded me of the spell Aspect of the Wolf. It's druid1, ranger 1, in spc, and explicitly changes your type to animal. It lasts 10 min/level. Easily dipped or UMD'd, or serves the base of a ranger build.
The problem with aspect of the wolf is that you still can't use horseshoes of flame (Savage Species page 57; you gain a 90 foot fly speed (good maneuverability), +1d4 fire damage on hoofed natural attacks, +2 Dex, +10 Int, and +6 Cha; costs 30,240 GP). It specifically applies to horses (it even mentions normal horses, I believe) so you'd need UMD anyway.
A bauriar with horseshoes is a lot less ridiculous than an elf with horseshoes.
UMD + Grotesque Barding + Horseshoes of Flame = total, absolute and utter win.

abadguy
2010-12-15, 08:35 PM
Who wouldn't want to leave flaming trails as you rRRIIIDDEEE THE TIGER!!!

That Bauriar would do well to go bard.

true_shinken
2010-12-15, 08:43 PM
Who wouldn't want to leave flaming trails as you rRRIIIDDEEE THE TIGER!!!
Jump jump jump from the tiger! (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/dio/holydiver.html#2)

That Bauriar would do well to go bard.
Actually, with that huge Intelligence bonus, any Int based class would be better. Since you're going melee, I bet Swashbuckler/Factotum would be pretty keen. But Bard is pretty good as well.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-15, 09:34 PM
The problem with aspect of the wolf is that you still can't use horseshoes of flame (Savage Species page 57; you gain a 90 foot fly speed (good maneuverability), +1d4 fire damage on hoofed natural attacks, +2 Dex, +10 Int, and +6 Cha; costs 30,240 GP). It specifically applies to horses (it even mentions normal horses, I believe) so you'd need UMD anyway.
A bauriar with horseshoes is a lot less ridiculous than an elf with horseshoes.
UMD + Grotesque Barding + Horseshoes of Flame = total, absolute and utter win.

But wearing horseshoes will make the Bariur overheat faster (protects feet but blocks subunguis from staying cool). Well, if D&D used real life rules.

I still love that UMD helps make this thread work.

true_shinken
2010-12-15, 09:41 PM
But wearing horseshoes will make the Bariur overheat faster (protects feet but blocks subunguis from staying cool). Well, if D&D used real life rules.
I can already picture the scene.
Young bariaur is at home reading Sir Giacomo's Guide to Monks and cracking the ocasional laugh. Then his daddy arrives with a bag full of gifts.
"My son! I brought you grotesque barding and horseshoes of flame! You will be able to fly, you will be on fire, you will be smarter and prettier and your every attack will frighten your enemies!"
Young bariaur looks away from the guide, still laughing, looks at the horseshoes and sighs.
"You just don't get it, dad. Those horseshoes will make me overheat faster! Gosh, you never understand! I wish I was born a kobold..."

WarrenZig
2010-12-15, 09:47 PM
I’m a horse.

I....i can not believe how awesome this is.....so tempted to sig it.......

Is it strange i read this exactly like how he would have said it?

Edit: it is apparently too awesome to sig....