PDA

View Full Version : Monk Shuriken Flurry

Tvtyrant
2010-12-15, 03:32 AM
So apparently the monk can flurry with its shuriken, which almost sounds like a valid way to play a monk (lets you use all of your flurry blows every round without getting into melee range).

And then I saw that a shuriken does 1 damage according to the SRD. So at level 20 you do... 5 damage with a flurry. :smallconfused:

This leads me to two questions:

1. Does the shuriken actually only do 1 damage?

2. If it does only do 1 damage is there a way to increase that damage till it is useful?

ryzouken
2010-12-15, 03:36 AM
1 dmg.

+Str per throw, plus enchants, plus misc. Make yer monk LE and bust out poison on every throw while you're at it.

Also, the BASE damage may be 1, but it can always be enlarged, resulting in bigger damage dice, ne?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-12-15, 03:41 AM
Master thrower lets you palm multiple shuriken and throw them per attack, so that gives you 10 (or 15, I forget) in one round. then you add one enchantments to get more damage... maybe flaming and icy burst, plus 2d6 for each of those in two different elements of damage, which gives us 10 + 20d6, (or 15 + 30d6) with an extra 4d10 on any critical (as both shuriken in a critical attack critical). Then you also get strength unless Master Thrower's Palm Throw changes that... Add on Shock (or Shocking Burst if epic) and that gives you a grand total of 10 + str + 30d6, or 15 + str + 45d6 a round. Then you can switch things around

For Chaotic Evil killing, you could go Flaming Holy Axiomatic Shurikens, which would deal 10 + str + 50d6 or 15 + str + 75d6 a round... which is easily modifiable for different alignments...

I think the Chaos Monk's replacement for flurry could have more than 5 actual attacks as well on a lucky roll, which could really push this higher, but gives even more luck requirements.

Sounds like it's more damaging than the average monk already, and I'm sure there's much more effective ways to bring that to higher damage.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-15, 03:49 AM
Forgot about strength to throwing. And as ammo you can have Fire Arrow cast on them. Is there anyway to make enervation shuriken?

Jjeinn-tae
2010-12-15, 03:52 AM
Added a bit more to my post, but where is enervation from? There's probably a way unless it's melee only.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-15, 03:59 AM
Enervation is the level stealing spell; lifedrinking swords can do it but shuriken break on use so magic weapon properties seem kinda expensive.

Its too bad that shuriken are piercing instead of slashing, with that many hits per turn vorpal would be nice.