PDA

View Full Version : Increasing save DC? [Pathfinder ONLY]

Ravens_cry
2010-12-15, 05:59 AM
OK I got a 10th level halfling sorcerer enchanter almost ready. Yes, I know it's a sub optimal strategy, but hey, it's what I want to play.
I got fey bloodline so plus +2 to DC for compulsion effects, 25 charisma (with a + 4 item I might get or make a plus 6 considering I'm starting at level 10 with level 10 WBL) and the DM has houseruled that spell focus and greater spell focus are +2 each to spell DC instead of +1, and . .that's it. Anything else I can get within Pathfinder to up the DC?

Amiel
2010-12-15, 07:15 AM
There's Heighten Spell (but that may turn out to be a suboptimal choice).

Outside of the "core" PF rules (and within the scope of the PRD), there's Focused Spell (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#focused-spell-%28metamagic%29) ("When casting a spell that affects or targets more than one creature, you can choose one target or creature within the spell effect. That creature's saving throw DC to resist the spell is increased by +2"); other than that, I'm having some difficulty locating pertinent feats.

While Persistent Spell (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#persistent-spell-%28metamagic%29) does not increase the base DC modifier, it does force a further saving throw to resist the effect ("Whenever a creature targeted by a persistent spell or within its area succeeds on its saving throw against the spell, it must make another saving throw against the effect. If a creature fails this second saving throw, it suffers the full effects of the spell, as if it had failed its first saving throw").

Hope that helps some :)

Arutema
2010-12-15, 07:42 AM
If you're playing with Pathfinder Society rules or at least PFS traits are in play, one of the Qadira traits lets you boost the save DC of any of your spells by +2 once per day.

SamsDisciple
2010-12-15, 09:12 AM
You already chose the Fey bloodline but the arcane bloodline will give you a plus 2 to an entire school that stacks with spell focus and also whenever you metamagic something the DC increases by one( doesn't stack with heighten spell)

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-15, 12:16 PM
I don't have my books handy, but IIRC in the Advanced Player's Guide there is the possibility of taking Elemental Focus, which I believe stacks with Spell Focus and covers a very broad range of spells per element.

Tael
2010-12-15, 12:30 PM
OK I got a 10th level halfling sorcerer enchanter almost ready. Yes, I know it's a sub optimal strategy, but hey, it's what I want to play.
I got fey bloodline so plus +2 to DC for compulsion effects, 25 charisma (with a + 4 item I might get or make a plus 6 considering I'm starting at level 10 with level 10 WBL) and the DM has houseruled that spell focus and greater spell focus are +2 each to spell DC instead of +1, and . .that's it. Anything else I can get within Pathfinder to up the DC?

Uh, your saves are already going to be DC 26/27. The average will save for a CR 12 monster is +9. I really think you're pretty good already.

Grommen
2010-12-15, 12:31 PM

Dude that gives you a DC 23 on 1st level spells at 10th level. What the e'll are you trying to charm.....gods? With Heighten Magic using a 5th level spell slot DC 27 will save. A lot of classes can't make a save if they roll a "20" :smallbiggrin:

That in mind; Learn Crushing Dispair that will lower all saves by 2. As a sorc you can cast it again assuming that someone actually fails their save. Does not raise your DC I know, but it does lower their chance of resisting. Same net gain of 2 :)

Ravens_cry
2010-12-16, 02:28 AM
Thank you all for your contributions. You have been most helpful and given me some ideas. The reason I want to "charm gods" is because, well, lot's of things are immune to my schtick so I might as well make it work when I can.