PDA

View Full Version : crash: Or how Coplantor survived a car accient

Coplantor
2010-12-15, 08:33 AM
As we aproach new year, people gather to celebrate the year we leave behind, fanilies, friens, co-workers and even platypi or so I like to believe.

Last friday, the national airport threw a party for the employees, which I used to be one (I switched jobs this monday but that's a different story), huge party at a huge place, there was over 700 people there of whch I knew about... 15. There were presents, music, food and alcohol (this being a key ponint of the story).

Just like the evil witch evil minions, hours flew away and the party was over, it was a good party even with it's lack of Queen songs.

I was looking for someoneto either carry me home or at least get me narer so I wouldn't have to sell my kidney to take a cab. A friend form my now ex office tells me that he found someone, and that was my fatal mistake, see, he told me he found someone while I heard that he found someone who wasn't completly crazy and and dangerously drunk.

I got into the car, there was a total of six passenger, two in the front and four of us in the backseat. The car starts and it was I needed to realize that the guy behind the wheel was as drunk as a human at a dwarven frat party and as crazy as any Lovecraft main character as te end of the book gets near.

Several times I asked them to let me get down from the car, then I yelled several times for them to let me get down from the car, and even if I hate being a backseat driver, I saw as my duty to tell the driver to use both hands, or at least one hand if he was going to drive in the opposite direction in one of the most used avenues in the city. Other then the whole "let me out!" conversation there was this little jewel that later turned into a sweet, sweet "I so told you so":

-LET ME OUT!
-Dont worry! It wont happen anything.
-Things doesnt happen untill they happen! (sounds silly,, but that's the translation of a clocal idiom)

And guess what? We got hit by a van on our left side, the car we were on fliped over and fell upside down, as the car was turning all I could think of was: "DAMMIT" and "I was right!", I was not overrun with fear but with a strong will to live, so when the car stoped i started crawling out through the window as some of my co workers were screaming behind me. I finally got out, so did my friends except for two of them who were injured.

Checked myself, small concusion in the forehead, had worse ones when I was a kid. Minor cuts in my left arm, probably from crawling over broken shards of glass. There was blood on my right shoe, not mine.

I prodcued my cell phone and lived my single most unintentional badass moment in my life when, with a completly calm yet somewhat angry voice I called my mother and told her: "Hi mom, I think I'll be a litle late tonight, the car in which I was going crashed. Love you, bye."

Aftermath:

My friends are OK, only one of them got serious injuries, he got a broken hip but he is recovering already. The rest of us are in excellent condition, the one that had it worst only had a minor cut in his forehead.

Two of them apologized to me for not listening when I told them to stop the car.

I spent seven hours in the hospital while they checked if everything was fine.

I still have a burning rage against the driver, apparently it wasn't entirely the alcohol's fault, it was a new car and he was showing it off.

The lesson here? I already knew I shouldn't get in a car with a drunk driver. Now I know that I shouldn't get in a car with someone I dont know how he/she drives. TRUST NO ONE! Well, trust a reduced group of people you know well actually.

Anyway, it feels so good to be alive, just felt that I had to share this with you guys.

PersonMan
2010-12-15, 08:37 AM
I congratulate you on your badass moment, as well as your not being dead.

Coplantor
2010-12-15, 08:38 AM
I congratulate you on your badass moment, as well as your not being dead.

Thanks, the second one is my greatest acomplishment in life so far. :smallbiggrin:

druid91
2010-12-15, 09:03 AM
And this is why being cautious, nearly to the point of paranoia, is one of my favorite traits in myself.

But yes, congratulations on not being dead. See this is why you wear seat belts.:smallsmile:

Coplantor
2010-12-15, 09:15 AM
There weren't enough seatbelts. But yeah, I always wear those, heck, my mother actually gets mad at me when I wear the seatbelt for a one block trip to the parking. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2010-12-15, 09:40 AM
I wear the seatbelt even if I'm just moving the car. <.<

I still have a burning rage against the driver, apparently it wasn't entirely the alcohol's fault, it was a new car and he was showing it off.

You know, trying to show off your new vehicle like that can end badly. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic)

The lesson here? I already knew I shouldn't get in a car with a drunk driver. Now I know that I shouldn't get in a car with someone I dont know how he/she drives.

I don't think I've ever gotten on a car with a drunk driver, but I have a friend who always does. Idiot. I've told him to stop, but he just won't listen, he is completely sure of his drunk driving abilities.

Melayl
2010-12-15, 10:10 AM
You are a very lucky man to have come away from that with only minor injuries.

Next time, I'd advise you to call a cab, no matter what the financial cost... Or a friend/family member.

Add another +1 to those who always wear their seatbelt (a lesson reinforced by my 1st car accident). No vehicle I drive moves without all occupants wearing seatbelts.

Coplantor
2010-12-15, 11:02 AM
Trust me, I avoid drunk drivers lie the plague, butthis time, when I relized the guy was drunk the car was already moving. Still my fault though, should've checked befoe I got inside.

RS14
2010-12-15, 12:55 PM
The lesson here? I already knew I shouldn't get in a car with a drunk driver. Now I know that I shouldn't get in a car with someone I dont know how he/she drives. TRUST NO ONE! Well, trust a reduced group of people you know well actually.

Yeah, I learned this last year when I hitched a ride with some students at my college, rather than paying for a cab. I don't know if the driver was impaired at the time, but she did remark, as we left the airport, that she had spent the entire weekend under the influence of substances-that-must-not-be-named.

No incidents, fortunately.

Calmness
2010-12-15, 01:07 PM
Seems you handled the situation really well. I don't know if I'd be able to keep my composure in such a crash like you did.

Coplantor
2010-12-15, 01:16 PM
Seems you handled the situation really well. I don't know if I'd be able to keep my composure in such a crash like you did.

Quite frankly, I was surprised and a little worried about handling the situation in such a cold manner, luckily, I switched to black humour in a few minutes :smalltongue:

But yeah, I always thought that in this kind of situation I would've been shocked or wouldn't know what to do.

Deathslayer7
2010-12-15, 01:26 PM
Remeber the Deathly Hallows story! Cheat Death once and he'll come back to get you! :smalltongue:

But anyways I feel for you. My girlfriend had a bad habit of drinking then wanting to drive home. Did it once, I asked her not to do it again. Sometime later she did it again, then I literally told her if she drinks and drives one more time, I would let her go. Hasn't done it since.

Which is why I always worry. :smallfrown:

Mr. Moon
2010-12-15, 06:05 PM
.-.
*glomps*
Oh my gosh I'm so glad you're okay. Please don't do that ever again. Or go to a party. Or touch booze. Or let people you know touch booze. Or or or
*worry mode activated*

._.
I don't know the right words to use to tell you how glad that you're okay I am. Gah.

Kneenibble
2010-12-15, 07:52 PM
Take it easy out there fella, it's a sick sad world and (in my city at least) even the sober drivers are reckless yahoos and the streets are merely long pockmarked skating rinks.

The few of us with sense do our drinking safely alone in the cellar with a Leonard Cohen album and a nubile houseplant.

Kuma Da
2010-12-15, 08:01 PM
Holy crap.

I don't even know you, but I'm glad to hear you're still alive. :smalleek:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-15, 08:02 PM
Oh my...Thank goodness you're okay! :smalleek:

Demon 997
2010-12-15, 08:58 PM
Holy crap.

I don't even know you, but I'm glad to hear you're still alive. :smalleek:

My thoughts exactly.

Marnath
2010-12-15, 11:32 PM
Congrats on not being dead, I just had one question: If you didn't want to buy a cab, how did you get to the party in the first place? :smallconfused:

Bhu
2010-12-16, 12:21 AM
At least you made it out okay. The forums are a cheerier place with you than without you.

Lycan 01
2010-12-16, 01:11 AM
Oh crap, man. Glad you're okay! :smalleek:

So, is the driver facing any charges or anything? How was the driver of the van? They turn out okay?

Rutskarn
2010-12-16, 01:49 AM
Jesus.

Well, if I know anything about physics, you are now immune to car crashes. So I guess there's that.

factotum
2010-12-16, 02:39 AM
Good luck that nobody died in that mess, from the sounds of it! Hope everyone is OK.

skywalker
2010-12-16, 02:50 AM
The few of us with sense do our drinking safely alone in the cellar with a Leonard Cohen album and a nubile houseplant.

<<
>>
Mrow?*

*Untranslatable from the original kitty.

Rutskarn
2010-12-16, 03:14 AM
<<
>>
Mrow?*

*Untranslatable from the original kitty.

He's got needs, okay? He's got a need for seeds.

Demon 997
2010-12-16, 03:27 AM
He's got needs, okay? He's got a need for seeds.

I actually laughed out loud for that. What kind of houseplant would you recommend?

rakkoon
2010-12-16, 03:37 AM
I once had the choice between leaving with a driver that was still drunk from the night before and being stranded in the middle of nowhere at the age of 15.
I chose the driver and was very glad nothing bad happened.
You didn't really choose and it did end badly but could have been much worse.
So count your blessings and good job!

Rutskarn
2010-12-16, 03:45 AM
I actually laughed out loud for that. What kind of houseplant would you recommend?

I'm a sassafras man myself. DAT SASSAFRAS

DwarvenExodus
2010-12-16, 05:20 AM
Wow. Congrats on being a badass and... ah... not being dead (or worse)!

I hope this doesn't happen again.

Coplantor
2010-12-16, 06:54 AM
@Moon: Dont worry! *hugs* :smallsmile:

@Knee: I know, I rarely go out. The only occassions in which I do are things like birhdays.

@Marnath: I went in a cab, bu I'm not in the best situation regarding money... at all, and the party was pretty far apart from my house. I wanted them to get me somewhere nearer to my house where I could easily find a cab

@Rutskarn: Yeah, I felt immortal for a second there after crawling out of the car. I guess it was the adrenaline. Though it all fell apart when I was scared out of my socks when the doctors told me they had to give me an injection. Freaking needles...

@Everyone else: Thanks!:smallbiggrin: and hugs for all of you!

Form
2010-12-16, 07:45 AM
Sounds like you all got very lucky to end up with no fatalities or even permanent injuries!

It's good to hear you and your friends are alright or are recovering. I hope the driver of the van was also alright.

Coplantor
2010-12-16, 07:46 AM
Sounds like you all got very lucky to end up with no fatalities or even permanent injuries!

It's good to hear you and your friends are alright or are recovering. I hope the driver of the van was also alright.

The driver was completly uninjured, not even a scratch. Haven't seen them since te accident though, I switched jobs this monday.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-16, 10:07 AM
Wow, I am really happy nothing happened.

Mr. Moon
2010-12-16, 03:18 PM
@Moon: Dont worry! *hugs* :smallsmile:

Ffff, you should know me better than that by now. I irrationally worry about all my friends.
*hugs*
I'm really glad you're okay. :smallsmile:

Telonius
2010-12-16, 04:16 PM
I was looking for someoneto either carry me home or at least get me narer so I wouldn't have to sell my kidney to take a cab. A friend form my now ex office tells me that he found someone, and that was my fatal mistake, see, he told me he found someone while I heard that he found someone who wasn't completly crazy and and dangerously drunk.

This seems to be a frighteningly common occurrence for people I know. (The most recent one was the completely crazy, dangerously drunk Algerian cabdriver, but we've had a good representation of all nationalities along the lunatic driver spectrum).