PDA

View Full Version : First time player, please help with first character

Burnheart
2010-12-15, 01:40 PM
Okay, this is the situation, my brother and I bought some DnD books years ago because we were interested but couldn't fined anyone to play with so for years the books have just been left on the shelf but not anymore, inspired by reading these forums we have decided to try a game just the two of us with me as DM and its a Gestalt game. He has already created his character a Elf Fighter//Rogue going Fighter/CoCL//Rogue but i need help with mine.

These are the books we have 3.5 Players hand book, DMguide and monster Manuel and the Races of Stone, Wild and Destiny plus Complete Warrior, Arcane, Divine and Adventurer as well as the Draconomicon, Unapproachable East and Dragonlance campain setting 3.5

A plan on some type of archer but not sure on whats best as i don't have the time to pour over every page 'cause i'm trying to plan out the kingdom we will be playing in.

edit: forgot the stats Human(story reason), i have rolled 13,12,11,13,17,14

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-15, 02:57 PM
Maybe a scout/ninja? 14 in wis, 17 in dex and other bonus in int,(or cha if you plan to be talky) str and con. Use Ghost step to get sudden strike and skirmish every turn. Take point blank shot and rapid shot at first level for better damage. As long as you can stay mobile (and ghost step will help with this) you can deal up to 6d8+2 (average 29) dmg every turn at level 2. Plus lots of stealth and acrobatics in both classes. Get a composite bow +1 str ASAP as well. You might want to wait till you get some better base attack before using rapid shot though.

Mylee
2010-12-15, 03:10 PM
I have always loved rogues. Highest stat in Dex, then Str then Cha. Rogues get sneak attack, which adds more D6 to your damage.
Hope I helped. :smallbiggrin:

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-15, 04:45 PM
Int too for rogues! Then again I am a little skill crazy....

~Nye~
2010-12-15, 06:03 PM
for an archer I would advise playing something like a scout, I'm currently playing a Bard/Arcane Archer character that I have optimised to do some serious damage, beleive it or not.

If I was a scout, and i had access to the complete psionic, take a dip in lurk or somthing, if you take a feat called improved psionic sidestep, you can move 10ft as a free action then do a full round attack with full Skirmish Damage.

In all honesty matey, I would say take something basic, and just go straight scout or ranger, it will give you a feel for the game, take a presteige class somewhere along the way. If you play a Dragonlance like game they power level is quite low so you should be fine =)

Burnheart
2010-12-15, 06:11 PM
First, thank you for responding. Now about rogues, i probable won't be one because my brother is and he has the skills to be Party face and the Locks and Trap guy as well as being good in a fight, i mean he rolled 3 16's, 2 14's and a 11 lucky :sigh: Anyway, i had a quick look at Ninja//Scout seams good but i have to be within 30ft to get Skirmish and Sudden strike wouldn't that be bad as an archer?

edit: Nye you posted as i was typing, we don't have complete Psionic and i was looking at ranger but i am not sure what to take with it.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-15, 07:08 PM
Depends on the Style of archer really. Ghost Step should help to get away if you get attacked in melee. You will need some feats to get more ghost step with this build however. With ninja and scout your speed will soon be unmatchable and range wont be an issue. If you get shot on the run you can run into range, attack, and hop back out of their move distance (just make sure they can't get a straight line for charge).

Burnheart
2010-12-15, 08:32 PM
I just thought of an evil combonation for a Ninja//Scout using the Scouts Camouflage and hide in plain sight with ninjas ghost step you can get alot of sniping since you have a -20 to hide after sniping but a +40 to hide when invisible, you will need woodland archer from Races of the wild to get Skirmish damage though :biggrin:

Hanuman
2010-12-15, 08:35 PM
Okay, this is the situation, my brother and I bought some DnD books years ago because we were interested but couldn't fined anyone to play with so for years the books have just been left on the shelf but not anymore, inspired by reading these forums we have decided to try a game just the two of us with me as DM and its a Gestalt game. He has already created his character a Elf Fighter//Rogue going Fighter/CoCL//Rogue but i need help with mine.

These are the books we have 3.5 Players hand book, DMguide and monster Manuel and the Races of Stone, Wild and Destiny plus Complete Warrior, Arcane, Divine and Adventurer as well as the Draconomicon, Unapproachable East and Dragonlance campain setting 3.5

A plan on some type of archer but not sure on whats best as i don't have the time to pour over every page 'cause i'm trying to plan out the kingdom we will be playing in.

edit: forgot the stats Human(story reason), i have rolled 13,12,11,13,17,14
You will have more fun:
-Not playing a fighter, unless you have dungeoncrasher.
-If gestalt, having half of it full caster like cleric or wizard.
-Not multiclassing until you start roleplaying.

Tvtyrant
2010-12-15, 08:38 PM
Ranger makes a simpler and tolerable archer; if you don't want casting just dump wisdom and crank strength.

Gabe the Bard
2010-12-16, 12:25 AM
You could be an archer/cleric of a bow-toting deity, like Ehlonna, or an archer/wizard(or sorcerer). Either way, you'll have lots of magical buffs for yourself and your brother. You wouldn't want to miss out on the extra attacks you could get from a good old Haste spell or Righteous Might of the Faithful.

Alternatively, you could be a cleric/wizard and cast all the cleric and wizard spells in the game until your brain explodes.

Burnheart
2010-12-16, 09:53 AM
I don't know about going Caster if i'm DMing, having to keep track of my spells plus all the monsters in combat:confused:, I don't know if i can do that. My bother is planning on getting a Cohort Cleric to do the healing so we won't be completly without casting.
edit: i am wondering, should go Scout//Fighter for the BaB and feats?

Hanuman
2010-12-18, 10:41 AM
I don't know about going Caster if i'm DMing, having to keep track of my spells plus all the monsters in combat:confused:, I don't know if i can do that. My bother is planning on getting a Cohort Cleric to do the healing so we won't be completly without casting.
edit: i am wondering, should go Scout//Fighter for the BaB and feats?
? The DM usually doesn't have a character :smallsmile:

pilvento
2010-12-18, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=~Nye~;9974306]for an archer I would advise playing something like a scout, I'm currently playing a Bard/Arcane Archer character that I have optimised to do some serious damage, beleive it or not. QUOTE]

sry to ask here but can u tell me more about ur character, i have a friend playing an arcane archer but couldnt find the way to optimise it, and now is playing a bard so... u can be the answer for ur last party member!

---

On the other side (refering to this post) its a good idea to play martial clases and since is a solo campaing i recomend yo to go for sneaky ones, u can exploit his skills, roleplay and the style of loneguy classes much better. He can try a ranger/ninja since its a gestalt game. wiss for spells, track, AC and ki pool. dex for his TwF, AC, skills. sudden strike will take care of rhe damage, for now, and his animal companion cam be a good company sice he dont have a real party. And wildernes ninjas are cool!

Burnheart
2010-12-18, 04:02 PM
? The DM usually doesn't have a character :smallsmile:
I know, but we have never played DnD before and my brother isn't that keen on the idea of playing solo and i get the feeling that he may not stick with it if its just his character.
edit: I have got a Scout//Ninja character drawn up, but i will try and see if i can get him to go solo.
edit2:My brothers going to go solo anyone know how to lock this thread?

Hanuman
2010-12-18, 06:12 PM
I know, but we have never played DnD before and my brother isn't that keen on the idea of playing solo and i get the feeling that he may not stick with it if its just his character.
edit: I have got a Scout//Ninja character drawn up, but i will try and see if i can get him to go solo.

1) find more people to play with, an experienced DM is always good
2) report the post and ask it to be locked

The Glyphstone
2010-12-18, 06:38 PM

Great Modthulhu: Wait until the stars are right and perform a blasphemous and sanity-searing ritual. Or file a report, that works too.

Thread locked by request of OP.