PDA

View Full Version : The "Burned Frozen"(3.5 undead)

PersonMan
2010-12-15, 01:58 PM
Burned Frozen
Medium Undead(Fire, Cold)
Hit Dice 16d12+54 (158 HP)
Speed 25 ft. (5 squares);
Initiative: +7
Armor Class 25; touch 17; flat-footed 21
(+4 dex, +8 natural, +3 untyped)
Base Attack/Grapple +8/+15
Attack 2 Slams +18 melee (1d8+10+Burning Cold, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack 2 Slams +18 melee (1d8+10+Burning Cold, 19-20/x2)
Space 5 ft; Reach 5 ft
Special Attacks Flash Heat, Flash Freeze, Burning Cold
Special Qualities DR 10/-, Immune to Fire, Cold, Resistance to electricity 10, SR 25, Blessing of the Cold, Blessing of the Heat
Saves Fort +11 Ref +12 Will +13
Abilities Str 24, Dex 18, Con -, Int -, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills --
Feats --
Environment Any
Organization None
Challenge Rating ~11
Treasure Normal
Alignment N
Advancement 17+(Large)
Level Adjustment --

The creature is an odd sight-an emaciated, scorched corpse that has bulging, dark blue veins and arteries still clinging to the surface. Heat seems to be rolling off of it in waves, but an undeniable chill also surrounds it.

"Burned Frozen"(working title, I'd love suggestions for a better name) are the remains of those who, as they burned alive, caught the attention of powerful spirits of winter, which filled the body with an everlasting cold even as it crumbled to ash.

Combat

A Burned Frozen enters combat with slams, channeling either cold or fire depending on how effective they seem. They use their Flash Heat or Flash Freeze on those who are directly in front of it, moving from one opponent to the other.

Blessing of the Cold(Su): A Burned Frozen gains its Charisma modifier to AC and saves. In addition, it uses its Charisma modifier in place of its Constitution modifier wherever the latter would be used.

Flash Heat(Ex): A Burned Frozen can suddenly heat nearby creatures. Once every two rounds, as a move action, a Burned Frozen can deal 8d8 points of fire damage to one creature or object within 70 feet. A DC 21 Reflex save halves this damage.

Flash Freeze(Ex): A Burned Frozen can suddenly cool nearby creatures. Once every two rounds, as a move action, a Burned Frozen can deal 8d8 points of cold damage to one creature or object within 70 feet. A DC 21 Reflex save halves this damage.

Burning Cold(Ex): A Burned Frozen can channel either heat or cold into its attacks. As a free action, a Burned Frozen can switch between dealing +2d6 cold or +2d6 fire damage.

Blessing of the Heat(Su): A Burned Frozen gains its Charisma modifier as a bonus to initiative, attack and damage rolls.

----------------

The "Burned Frozen" is something I've had the idea for for several days, inspired by the lyrics of two songs-specifically, the lines "blood turns to ice" and "flesh turns to ash", and I considered what would happen if the two were mixed. The "Burned Frozen" is the result.

AugustNights
2010-12-15, 02:56 PM
Ideas:
Bleakburned
Suatazotza (based on Bask for Fire and Ice)
Irielo
Unfrozen Crisp
Rimfire Corpse (Wasn't rimfire ice that was fire?)
Glacial Abomination
Burning Frost
Robert Frost
Perishtwice
Worldsend Walker
Hellake Wight
Memory of the Frozen Inferno
Shambling Paradox
Utterwreck
Bitterburn
Baday Blight
Undeath of two sins
Numburn

TheLash
2010-12-15, 02:57 PM
I made a skeleton that is very similar to this critter. Hitting the PC's with something like this tends to throw them off and be really fun encounter.

Temotei
2010-12-16, 01:04 AM
(Wasn't rimfire ice that was fire?)

I'm thinking it was rimefire.

That said, here are some more ideas:

Iceflame Corpse/Zombie/Bones
Rimefire Death
Coldfire Gutterspawn/Dead/Corpse

Alrox
2010-12-16, 03:45 PM
I love the idea of this creature. I have a question though. Are its Flash Heat and Flash Freeze touch attacks? Or do those require saves?

I'd really like to throw this at my PCs next week.

Also, Emberfrost Dead for a name consideration...

PersonMan
2010-12-17, 10:06 AM
I love the idea of this creature. I have a question though. Are its Flash Heat and Flash Freeze touch attacks? Or do those require saves?

I'd really like to throw this at my PCs next week.

Also, Emberfrost Dead for a name consideration...

...Oops.

Yes, it's a save. Putting that in there.

Tell me how it goes if you do, will you?

As a note, if you want it to be a rather tough encounter or your PCs have good enough Reflex saves to not take much damage from them, you can have it spam Flash Heat/Cold, since they're different abilities it can use one per round for the entire combat easily. It's probably better to do this if your PCs are a couple levels higher, the damage can really add up(it's 18 a round even if they make their saves, it can still attack once even if it uses the ability and it tends to target one enemy at a time).

Zeta Kai
2010-12-17, 11:14 AM
The "Burned Frozen" is something I've had the idea for for several days, inspired by the lyrics of two songs-specifically, the lines "blood turns to ice" and "flesh turns to ash", and I considered what would happen if the two were mixed. The "Burned Frozen" is the result.

"blood turns to ice" = Sabaton - Talvisota

"flesh turns to ash" = Avarion - Ashes To Ashes

Am I right on either count?

PersonMan
2010-12-17, 02:07 PM
Half right.

"flesh turns to ash" is also from Sabaton, it's We Burn.

Cheesy74
2010-12-19, 08:55 AM
I'm liking Consumed Cinder or Whitecinder as a name.

I think Flash Freeze/Burn should both be standard actions. Having them as move actions doesn't make a lot of sense.

Its CR should probably be somewhere around 9-10. At level 12, its attack bonus is too pitiful to get past most players' ACs and its AC (apparently one of its strengths?) is only average.

Also, I'm not positive, but I don't think natural weapons can be used for iterative attacks. Giving it two slams instead of one with two attacks will solve it (and actually make it more powerful)

I do like the idea, though, and the execution is pretty good.

ChumpLump: ...Robert Frost?

Keinnicht
2010-12-19, 02:31 PM
Iceflame Corpse/Zombie/Bones

Coldflame Corpse has a nice ring to it.

AugustNights
2010-12-19, 03:25 PM
ChumpLump: ...Robert Frost?
I think he speaks for himself

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire