PDA

View Full Version : Your special ability of choice

Toliudar
2010-12-15, 04:29 PM
I've occasionally seen threads come along to discuss what spell, if any, you'd most want to have access to in real life. Well, here's the same question, but for special abilities.

I was looking at the text of the mindsight ability, and realized how fantastic it would be in everyday life. Not only in a "never get snuck up on" context, but mostly to be able to see the intelligence of the people who are trying to talk with me. Not that intelligent always equals fun conversationalist, but it would at the very least be a useful guide.

What special ability (not spells or SLA's) would you most want to have?

Godskook
2010-12-15, 04:32 PM
Regeneration 1 please! Ideally with Tarrasque durability, but I'd take the troll-version and just not work with those much.

Brom
2010-12-15, 04:35 PM
If I could turn it on and off at will, and it covered all immediate possessions?

Invisibility.

Dust
2010-12-15, 04:38 PM
I'll take the Phoenix's Immolation, please. Immortality sucks, sure, but constant reincarnation would be pretty great.

Raging_Pacifist
2010-12-15, 04:44 PM
Regeneration 1 please! Ideally with Tarrasque durability, but I'd take the troll-version and just not work with those much.

Regeneration would truly be an awesome power, being able to come back from the dead and all. Although, my pick would have to be some form of enchantment/charm ability.

1. Turn everyone you meet into a trusted friend
2. Use to attain everything you've ever wanted
3. ???
4. Profit!

arguskos
2010-12-15, 04:45 PM
Soul Binding.

What? It's a special ability! :smalltongue:

aquaticrna
2010-12-15, 04:51 PM
Darkvision would be nice...

that or death throes just because

Eldonauran
2010-12-15, 04:52 PM
Alternate Form or Wild Shape

What? Wouldn't you like to be a shapechanger? :smallamused:

OwlishBard
2010-12-15, 05:01 PM
I prefer shape change over invisibility. Not only could I get away with a lot of evil stuff like with invisibility, but I would also be able to find a girlfriend thanks to a pretty shape, whilst invisibility is limited to rape.

Godskook
2010-12-15, 05:08 PM
I prefer shape change over invisibility. Not only could I get away with a lot of evil stuff like with invisibility, but I would also be able to find a girlfriend thanks to a pretty shape, whilst invisibility is limited to rape.

Pretty men don't get girls. They get *guys*.

To get girls, you gotta *do* something, and invisibility works fairly well for that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePt1sGBrgWg)

Tvtyrant
2010-12-15, 05:09 PM
Planar Shepards ability to pull chunks of other planes into our existence. Dealing with missiles? Throw a shield of madness up and watch as they turn into petunias.

Baveboi
2010-12-15, 05:10 PM
To grant wishes to mortals, like a Genie.
I'd love to see people's hearts, their true desires and to help them get there. I could also work with Karma and set the right people on the wrong track and the wrong people on the right track only to prove a point. Maybe grant twisted monkey-hand kind of wishes to those that heart and soul are warped beyond humanity.

You know, that gave me an idea for a trhead... A new silly game!

Halae
2010-12-15, 05:14 PM
I'd peronsally like the Changeling's Minor Change Shape ability... or whatever it's called. Sure, I'm comfortable with the way I look now, but changing appearance on a whim would be SPECTACULOUS

Soren Hero
2010-12-15, 05:25 PM
Umbral Blot's Planar Travel(Ex)...ethereal jaunt, dimension door, greater teleport or plane shift...at will...as a standard action...i would never be late for anything, i could go ANYWHERE i want

~Nye~
2010-12-15, 05:37 PM
Colour spray
You can be the life of the party... or you could KO people with rainbows. 2 great things,one ability :D

Sindri
2010-12-15, 05:42 PM
Wildshape. Preferably the improved version you get with Master of Many Forms.

Actually, change that to (Sp) at will: Shapechange. That way I get Su abilities as well.

Lord.Sorasen
2010-12-15, 05:53 PM

Technically disguising yourself in order to sleep with someone is still considered rape, actually.

I am saying this for everyone's own good, on the hope that we all get the powers listed to us.

What power would I want? There's really only one option.

Floating Disk.

druid91
2010-12-15, 05:58 PM
I Would want a sharn's Hex portals.

Godskook
2010-12-15, 05:58 PM
Technically disguising yourself in order to sleep with someone is still considered rape, actually.

:smallconfused:

How do you figure? And if that's so, does that mean I was just raped by that supermodel with the augmentation job? (I gotta call the cops on her.....)

(The quote you're commenting on was only referring to minor, cosmetic changes, not identity altering ones)

Zeofar
2010-12-15, 06:02 PM

...Only if you trick someone into thinking you're their boyfriend/girlfriend or someone else you're not. I see that there may be ethical concerns, but I don't think it's illegal to make yourself attractive if you think it'll get you a partner.

And if that's so, does that mean I was just raped by that supermodel with the augmentation job? (I gotta call the cops on her.....)

lolyea

TheEmerged
2010-12-15, 06:28 PM
Probably isn't a listed ability anywhere, but my answer is the same: some type of recordable postcognition. Not just the ability to see/hear the past, but the ability to record it on some medium (like say a movie camera).

You can keep your tools for getting away with stuff. I'd be the man few secrets would be safe from. I'd probably be dead by the end of the week :smallredface:

Halae
2010-12-15, 06:31 PM
Probably isn't a listed ability anywhere, but my answer is the same: some type of recordable postcognition. Not just the ability to see/hear the past, but the ability to record it on some medium (like say a movie camera).

You can keep your tools for getting away with stuff. I'd be the man few secrets would be safe from. I'd probably be dead by the end of the week :smallredface:

unless you went for the whole shebang and got future sight too, in which case just about nobody could kill you

Tvtyrant
2010-12-15, 06:33 PM
unless you went for the whole shebang and got future sight too, in which case just about nobody could kill you

Except if you believe the future is immutable :P

Makiru
2010-12-15, 06:39 PM
Illurien's Perfect Knowledge, or whatever it's called. Knowing every answer has got to be useful for something, right? I mean, I'll be incredibly bored, since nothing will be unknown or new, but the rest of the world would benefit from that sacrifice.

I guess I'm just feeling altruistic for once in my life.

...On the other hand, Big T regeneration would be AMAZING!

absolmorph
2010-12-15, 07:04 PM
Except if you believe the future is immutable :P
If it's variable, you'd have infinite possibilities of what could happen, which would be useless.

Personally, I'd go for either Regeneration 10 or higher (with the same methods as a Solar for bypassing it). At least, that's what comes to mind. I can be dropped from orbit and I'll be in top shape in a couple hours, max. It's unlikely that there's anything that would be able to deal lethal damage.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-15, 07:16 PM
Prestedigitation no question:smallbiggrin:. THE most useful single ability in real life. You can make tea, clean or restyle clothes, write at 25 ft, steal, Cook a 5 star meal in under 6 seconds, make toys with my mind........I could go on.

Prestidigitation may only be a zero level spell but half of the spells are for killing things anyway!

GoatBoy
2010-12-15, 07:30 PM
Fireball.

If fire doesn't solve your particular problem, you just aren't using enough.

druid91
2010-12-15, 07:36 PM
Fireball.

If fire doesn't solve your particular problem, you just aren't using enough.

I can do that to, it's called point a flamethrower at the hex portal. fire from nowhere anyplace on the planet.

Salbazier
2010-12-15, 07:40 PM
Planeswalking. Better if get to use the spells as well (so I can defend myself against whatever I may meet)

Lord.Sorasen
2010-12-15, 07:46 PM
:smallconfused:

How do you figure? And if that's so, does that mean I was just raped by that supermodel with the augmentation job? (I gotta call the cops on her.....)

(The quote you're commenting on was only referring to minor, cosmetic changes, not identity altering ones)

My apologies, my terrible mind just sort of assumed the spell would be casted without knowledge. I hear "disguise self" and forget how that spell could be used for entirely non-disguise purposes.

Zergrusheddie
2010-12-15, 07:48 PM
In all these kinds of threads, the conclusion always goes one specific way. Since I have not seen the conclusion yet, I will mention it.

Pun-Pun.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-15, 07:50 PM
Instead of a special ability, could I just have a BLS of 100? If not, then I'd probably take Regeneration or Damage Reduction (how high could I get those in this hypothetical situation?).

absolmorph
2010-12-15, 07:55 PM
Instead of a special ability, could I just have a BLS of 100? If not, then I'd probably take Regeneration or Damage Reduction (how high could I get those in this hypothetical situation?).
Given that some of the other options include instant travel anywhere, I think Regeneration 15 or 20 wouldn't be too crazy.
Not sure about DR, though.

I think I'd see if I could turn into Wolverine with my regeneration.

Brom
2010-12-15, 07:57 PM
Invisibility, Teleport, or Scrying are all equally compelling picks, largely for the same reason.

I've always wanted to know what people say about me when I'm not in the room.

Galileo
2010-12-15, 08:26 PM
Teleportation would be pretty cool. Especially with access to Google Maps Streetview. Guaranteed on-target teleporting, every time.

Hey... come to think of it, how do we know that isn't Google's secret plan for world domination? The ability to teleport their troops anywhere they want would be pretty good for putting down any rebellion. And those Android smartphones? Actual androids, waiting for the signal to begin the uprising.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-15, 08:29 PM
Given that some of the other options include instant travel anywhere, I think Regeneration 15 or 20 wouldn't be too crazy.
Not sure about DR, though.

I think I'd see if I could turn into Wolverine with my regeneration.

I just want Regeneration or DR high enough so I can survive gun blasts from the majority of firearms.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-15, 08:37 PM
Alter Self. Alter Self so bad. I've always wanted to have wings, and have long hair on fire, and be able to breath underwater, and so forth.

SoHardToRegiste
2010-12-15, 08:45 PM
If I can get one spell, that would be:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Contact_other_plane

A lawful neutral way for a lazy man to make it living.

You can just ask the Deity if the lottery result will include number X. Deities can see how events will unfold a few days into the future.

Forget cars. Greater Teleport is more eco-friendly :D

FMArthur
2010-12-15, 08:53 PM
Iron Heart Surge.
Which is basically omnipotence with enough effort and creative thinking.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 08:53 PM
You can just ask the Deity if the lottery result will include number X. Deities can see how events will unfold a few days into the future.

Only to do with their Domain. You'd have to ask a God with the Luck Domain.

Alter Self would be cool

faceroll
2010-12-15, 08:59 PM
Pretty men don't get girls. They get *guys*.

To get girls, you gotta *do* something, and invisibility works fairly well for that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePt1sGBrgWg)

Oh god, why was there not country music tag on that. Now I am going to go out and buy a truck and drink watery beer.

I just want Regeneration or DR high enough so I can survive gun blasts from the majority of firearms.

Ditto. Regeneration would be AWESOME. I could push myself to insane limits and not fear breaking my own bones when my muscles start to tear them in half.

Scoot
2010-12-15, 09:02 PM
Assuming there is an Ethereal Plane, ethereal jaunt would be nice.

I'm not sure why, though.:smallconfused:

Halae
2010-12-15, 09:09 PM
Ditto. Regeneration would be AWESOME. I could push myself to insane limits and not fear breaking my own bones when my muscles start to tear them in half.

because the first thing you do when you steal the Tarrasque's regen is to go skydiving without a plane (Plain? Plane? how do you spell that?)

Shadowleaf
2010-12-15, 09:15 PM
because the first thing you do when you steal the Tarrasque's regen is to go skydiving without a plane (Plain? Plane? how do you spell that?)Plane would be the corret spelling.

I can see the logic behind Regeneration - I mean, watch Kick-Ass and see what he does with numbness alone - now imagine that, okay, you can feel the pain, but it can't kill you! You'd be able to dive on grenades, take bullets, take beatings, heck, you'd be the perfect superhero...

... Or the perfect soldier, of course.

absolmorph
2010-12-15, 09:18 PM
You just need to have regeneration that's not bypassed by them, then.
Personally, I like the Solar's regeneration. Epic and evil for bypass.
A tank shoots me in the face? I get knocked out.

because the first thing you do when you steal the Tarrasque's regen is to go skydiving without a plane (Plain? Plane? how do you spell that?)
That's plane. Though, you'd need a way to get up to that high. I think you mean go skydiving without a parachute.

Halae
2010-12-15, 09:25 PM
That's plane. Though, you'd need a way to get up to that high. I think you mean go skydiving without a parachute.

ah yes, that's right. On both accounts

bondpirate
2010-12-15, 09:41 PM
Person1: Man, what to pick. Shapechange, various immunities, cast Gate, something-kinesis, teleportation, scrying....

Person2: I choose 'Fighter Bonus Feat'!

Person1: Wha?

Person2: I pick 'Mobility' as my feat!

Person1: Why? It's considered the worst feat created. You don't even have 'Dodge'. So it's useless.

Person2: But I want iiiiiiit!

Person1: Fine. I choose Drunken Master's 'Drink Like a Demon' Ability (Drinks two barrels of booze in six seconds to forget this conversation ever happened).

But either 'Bardic Knowledge' or 'Bardic Knack' for a couple of cool but basic abilities.

absolmorph
2010-12-15, 09:49 PM
ah yes, that's right. On both accounts
And then my brain started weaponizing the idea.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-15, 09:52 PM
And then my brain started weaponizing the idea.What, skydiving without a plane? It'd never work! :smalltongue:

Demons_eye
2010-12-15, 09:56 PM
Regeneration so bad.

absolmorph
2010-12-15, 10:02 PM
What, skydiving without a plane? It'd never work! :smalltongue:
No, no, skydiving without a parachute.
Skydiving without a plane? That's just silly. That's like trying to punch the universe in the face.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 10:04 PM
Skydiving without a plane? That's just silly. That's like trying to punch the universe in the face.

Unless you used a helicopter or could fly... technically you aren't using a plane

Halae
2010-12-15, 10:05 PM

so... using Iron Heart Surge?

LOTRfan
2010-12-15, 10:09 PM
Vampire's create spawn. Sure, it'd be gross sucking blood and/or level draining people, but I get an army! Bow before me now, undead minions! :smalltongue:

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 10:17 PM
Vampire's create spawn. Sure, it'd be gross sucking blood and/or level draining people, but I get an army! Bow before me now, undead minions! :smalltongue:

Libris Mortis Wight's Create Spawn. Better than Vampire's.

GoatBoy
2010-12-15, 10:54 PM
Iron Heart Surge.

Makes me think of this:

To prove it isn't that big of a deal to beat cancer, Chuck Norris smoked 15 cartons of cigarettes a day for 2 years and acquired 7 different kinds of cancer only to rid them from his body by flexing for 30 minutes.

"Oh noes, I'm slow'd! HHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH..... ...good to go."

Ozymandias
2010-12-15, 10:56 PM
Iron Heart Surge.

"With a roar of effort, I end the US recession!"

Halae
2010-12-15, 10:59 PM
Iron Heart Surge.

"I don't know the answer to this test! HWROOOARGH! 42!"

Popertop
2010-12-15, 11:19 PM
But either 'Bardic Knowledge' or 'Bardic Knack' for a couple of cool but basic abilities.

Lol, i pretty much have Bardic Knowledge and Bardic Knack as is.

I would have to pick something like Regeneration,
but a little more specific than "I has healz lol"

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 11:20 PM
"I has healz lol"

you can haz cheezeburger now.

OracleofWuffing
2010-12-15, 11:21 PM
Breath Weapon: Confetti!

Ochre Jelly's Split!

Blinding Beauty!

Shambling Mound's Immunity to Electricity!

Succubus Energy Drain!

Divine Characteristic: Always Maximize Roll.

WarrenZig
2010-12-15, 11:24 PM
Lightning Strike, Simply for the fact that the creature who uses it is a tortoise.....Irony at it's best.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 11:24 PM
Breath Weapon: Confetti!

Can we have 2 choices. Wight Create Spawn & Breath Weapon: Confetti

Halae
2010-12-15, 11:35 PM
I would have to pick something like Regeneration,
but a little more specific than "I has healz lol"

I guess you could always go with donating entire body parts to science in an effort to create more superhumans like yourself, but really that just seems so drab considering the otherwise very "Awesomesauce" uses everybody else is coming up with

Soren Hero
2010-12-15, 11:43 PM
A nightmare's astral projection ability? A choker's quickness? both of these abilities would be great if there were someway I could abuse them...quickness gives me extra actions per round, but as a squishy, lvl 1 or 2 commoner, I have only unarmed attacks and mb improvised weapons

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-15, 11:46 PM
A nightmare's astral projection ability? A choker's quickness? both of these abilities would be great if there were someway I could abuse them...quickness gives me extra actions per round, but as a squishy, lvl 1 or 2 commoner, I have only unarmed attacks and mb improvised weapons

train in the shortsword. Commoners get 1 weapon proficiency.

Soren Hero
2010-12-15, 11:59 PM
train in the shortsword. Commoners get 1 weapon proficiency.

true...or get a lvl of rogue for DOUBLE SNEAK ATTACK B!$^H!!

bannable
2010-12-16, 12:04 AM
Divine Characteristic: Always Maximize Roll.

I second this, or some other form of warped luck. My immediate thought is of Matrim Cauthon, and how incredibly useful such luck as proven him in that particular series.

John Campbell
2010-12-16, 12:22 AM
If divine abilities are allowed, how have we gotten this far without anyone just picking Alter Reality?

DragonOfUndeath
2010-12-16, 12:23 AM
If divine abilities are allowed, how have we gotten this far without anyone just picking Alter Reality?

Because that is a bit too far.

bannable
2010-12-16, 12:33 AM

Because that's both boring and uncreative? All you are then is a deus ex machina. They're neat and all, but terribly boring in the grand scheme of things.

Though, at least it's better thought out than the hex portal suggestion. I can only assume that poster isn't familiar with the fluff behind said portals...

Popertop
2010-12-16, 12:42 AM
I guess you could always go with donating entire body parts to science in an effort to create more superhumans like yourself, but really that just seems so drab considering the otherwise very "Awesomesauce" uses everybody else is coming up with

sorry i wasn't feeling original enough to come up with something,
so I felt like bashing other people's ideas.

absolmorph
2010-12-16, 01:37 AM
sorry i wasn't feeling original enough to come up with something,
so I felt like bashing other people's ideas.
My idea was Regeneration 10 (or, preferably, 20) so I only take lethal damage from epic and evil-aligned weapons.
Explosions? Naw. Shotgun blast to the face? Please. Getting tossed in the sun? I'll die from old age, maybe, but not from the burning.
The point?
I become the experimental subject for various physical capability boosters. I would, of course, keep as many ones that work as possible.

Necroticplague
2010-12-16, 04:06 PM
The alter shape ability of a protean. Adhesion, incorporeability, any movement I want, and at will teleprting (through umbral blot) all at once? Heck yea.

Chambers
2010-12-16, 05:11 PM
Incorporeal. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#incorporeality)

Float out the atmosphere, hop around the Moon and take a walk on the Sun. :smallsmile:

Chess435
2010-12-16, 05:27 PM
Time Stop.

Enough Said.