PDA

View Full Version : Need more minions for a gang boss, both fluff and crunch welcome!

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-15, 05:29 PM
Okay, so I have this organization in my RL game (mainly an urban one) called the Lily. The Lily is a loose collection of various guilds, gangs and major businesses, and some of the higher ups like to pretend they're nobility onto themselves (easier in the game world since all the nobles got axed by a lich who took over the city).

One of these would-be lords is a half-orc by the name of Nagar. He is master of the bleacher's guild, has been for twenty five years, but has recently expanded out into other fields such as prostitution, slave trading and the black market.

Only really notable thing about Nagar is he works on fear and has no face, having lost it in his successful attempt on the previous guildmaster's life when the old man tried to drown him in powerful bleach. He's a master of torture and intimidation, and favours breaking his enemies into cowardly wrecks instead of killing them outright.

I've made two minions for him so far, a friendly and polite barbarian/crimson scourge (retainer who hunts run away slaves (or in this case also the girls), as well as a doctor to patch up people when they get hurt, though I haven't figured out specifics besides that.

Does anyone have ideas for other minions to create to flesh out his evil organization?

Questions welcome.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-15, 06:01 PM
I've got one for flavor (and crunch, if desired):

Graego AKA "Wormface" heads up the drug-running part of his operation. He is so called because there are tiny wiggling parasitic worms protruding from his face (their respiratory/excretory tracts). He could easily have them removed with Cure Disease, but this particular parasite (an abyssal breed) hooks up directly to the nerves and when touched they cause intense pleasure. Hence, a common mannerism is rubbing his jaw and cheek with one finger. He does this all the more often when he feels forced to make particularly unsavory decisions, such as disposing of meddlers who have interfered with his business. Oh, and his face is generally dirty.

J.Gellert
2010-12-15, 06:42 PM
Sometimes I find it fun to base "NPC groups" around other known... parties. That way you can think of all the different roles. For example, in a D&D party, you might have a healbot, meatshield, skillmonkey, and a killer. Alright, that's generic... To be more specific, in your example, the moment I read "Doctor" I somehow thought of these roles:

Pyro: A flame-themed sorcerer who always wears a mask to cover his burnt face. Or a half-mask, and he likes to sing..? Anyway, he can be a torturer for your BBEG, with the fire things. He's also in love with the Scout; fiery passion and all that. She doesn't notice.

Engineer: Artificer, absent-minded professor man. Responsible for the armory and magical items.

Spy: Rogue, low Charisma, maybe a failed James Bond. Follows the BBEG not out of fear, but because he thinks he has a better shot at winning. Might bolt if things turn bad, but will the Demoman let him?

Heavy: You already have a barbarian, so that's covered...

Sniper: An archer... Perhaps a halfling that's a dead-shot with a sling? Good friend of the Engineer, hangs around hecause of him. Scared of the Doctor and Demoman, keeps distance. Perhaps the only guy who would warn anyone if, for example, he heard that the Demoman was trying to blow him up...

Scout: Femme-fatale, she's the eyes and ears on the streets, and the "face" when some sweet-talking is required. Since your guy has no face, she can literally call her that. Why she helps is a mystery. Maybe she's a double agent. Maybe she loves the BBEG or even another minion.

Soldier: A dishonorably discharged general of the ruling king/whatever, not really bitter, not really a bad guy. He's old, but has a very loyal base of followers, all ex-military. He provides the core of the organization, and if he were to leave, most of the 'mooks' would leave with him. Why is he helping? Maybe the BBEG is blackmailing him. Maybe the Scout is his daughter and he's doing it to help her?

Demoman: This is the bitter guy, he hates everyone, and so blows stuff up. Quite psychotic, the guy who will leave a foe alive, but rig the area with fireballs for when his friends come to get him. Mad at the doctor, who won't just let things bleed to death. Might try to blow him up - easy, as the doctor works alone in the designated hospital.

Medic: You have a doctor. As for specifics... He hangs around because he's allowed to perform experiments on the slaves. Meh, ok, maybe someone can find something better.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-12-15, 10:29 PM
Cool, any others?

What about people who infiltrate various other power groups in the city?