PDA

View Full Version : Best Necromancy spells per level

Matamane
2010-12-15, 09:03 PM
Say one wanted to play a non undead oriented necromancer, and more of a dark energy, shadow plane oriented necromancer. What are the best necromancy spells per level which are not undead related?

Halae
2010-12-15, 09:13 PM
couldn't tell you many, but I do know that Shivering Touch and it's little cousin are necromancy spells. That one's a dragon killer, and only level 2 or 3.

Matamane
2010-12-15, 09:18 PM
That's a good one

Frostburn is a great book for necromancy, all spells added

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-15, 10:02 PM
I play a necromancer who has two levels to go before 7th level spells and hasn't really looked much at the high end stuff yet. She also doesn't go the undead route. She doesn't have every single spell below, but she intends to someday:

Cause Fear, Ray of Enfeeblement
Blindness/Deafness, False Life, Spectral Hand, Stolen Breath
Mass Curse of Impending Blades, Mind Poison, Ray of Exhaustion, Vampiric Touch (Shivering Touch is broken--don't use it)
Bestow Curse, Doom Scarabs, Enervation, Fear, Horrid Sickness
Channeled Lifetheft, Gelid Blood, Magic Jar, Spiritwall (not actually undead-oriented), Waves of Fatigue
Aura of Terror, Circle of Death, Fleshshiver, Heartfreeze, Imperious Glare, Spectral Touch
Finger of Death
Greater Bestow Curse, Horrid Wilting
Astral Projection, Energy Drain, Wail of the Banshee

Silva Stormrage
2010-12-15, 11:17 PM
Here is a pretty important link for necromancy based arcane spell casters.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869142/Treantmonks_guide_to_Necromancy:_Gods_Tools

My personal favorite is Blackfire or Blood Snow. Both are save or basicly lose a turn (Nasueation) and take con damage. And blackfire spreads to nearby targets each round :smallbiggrin:. You can easily take out an army with that one spell. Blood snow is similar but a 10 by 10 foot square (4 sculpted) that deals less con damage and its only 3rd level. You need snow though so its situational.

SaintRidley
2010-12-15, 11:24 PM
Avasculate and Avascular Mass are pretty fun.

Dingle
2010-12-16, 12:53 AM
clone (lv8) could be useful if you don't have a cleric handy,
but I'm not sure, I've never used it.

Myth
2010-12-16, 04:59 AM
1. Ray of Enfeeblement or Ray of Exhaustion
2. Bonefiddle
3. Shivering Touch aka Dragon Rape
4. Burning Blood
5. Magic Jar for out of combat, Enervation in combat.
6. Fleshshiver
7. Finger of Death
8. Clone for out of combat, Blackfire in combat.
9. Astral Projection out of combat, Wail of the Banshee in combat.

Ravens_cry
2010-12-16, 09:41 AM
Bestow Curse is Fun.
Not only is it a 'whatever your DM will let you get away with' spell, great versatility there, but one of it's default modes, half chance to lose your actions that round, is a great debuff.

Stallion
2010-12-16, 12:43 PM
Touch of the Graveborn can be pretty nice.

Tokuhara
2010-12-16, 12:48 PM
What About Heartfreeze from Frostburn? Save or die

Matamane
2010-12-16, 02:02 PM
Everything from Frostburn is awesome

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-01-16, 07:18 PM
Bit of a necro, but if that's not acceptable on this thread.... Jokes aside, I haven't tried it in play yet but I'm quite liking the looks of spiritwall. 5th level, excellent battlefield control even before the chance to panic any creature within 60ft of the side of the wall you designate. Does damage to anyone who touches it, making it eligible for a lot of metamagics, and anyone who tries to actually walk through it gets a negative level.

Efrate
2019-01-16, 07:33 PM
Waves of exhauation at spell level 7. No save just suck. 60 foot cone you are exhausted until it dealt with.

Roland St. Jude
2019-01-16, 07:58 PM
Bit of a necro, but if that's not acceptable on this thread...Sheriff: It's not. Don't do that here.