PDA

View Full Version : Debating guidelines

Talkkno
2010-12-15, 10:21 PM
I would like to guidelines to be added to the "Concerning vs. Threads" that is stickied in the media forums.
Taken from another forum, I felt a few these that might reasonable to add as guidelines.

1.No Sniping. You might disagree with a certain established or accepted piece of information or canon material, but this does not give you the right to make comments against it without presenting evidence to defend your position on the argument. You don’t necessarily have to present evidence on the spot, but if confronted you must present evidence to support your claim or concede the issue.

2. If you make the claim, you must provide the evidence. This includes (but is not limited to) quotes screenshots, short clips or others as appropriate. Failure to provide the evidence to back up a claim in a reasonable timeframe will result in a the claim being declared as false.

3.You are expected to have a basic understanding of scientific principles. Ignorance on the issue is understandable, but one must be willing to admit when they don't know a subject.

happyturtle
2010-12-15, 10:27 PM
Couldn't the person who creates the thread just include those in their own OP if they want such strict guidelines?

Talkkno
2010-12-15, 10:28 PM
Well like I said, there guidelines not rules I'm suggesting, so its not like a hard and fast thing, I admit the wording is rather strict though, I'll change it.

Catch
2010-12-15, 10:30 PM
So the moderation staff should, in addition to their current duties, proofread every argument in the media section for academic rigor?

It's a casual discussion forum. There's no need for formal guidelines on how to debate.

Talkkno
2010-12-15, 10:33 PM
It's a casual discussion forum. There's no need for formal guidelines on how to debate.

Fair enough, but like i said these aren't rules, more like suggestions.

Terumitsu
2010-12-15, 10:36 PM
This.. Seems like it's trying to make a subject that is inherently silly into SUPER SRS BZNS!

I mean, really... As a whole.. A comic book character versus a video game character? Is this really something that needs to be taken as serous as say.. A scientific debate over the core nature of the world or somesuch? That just sounds silly. And while basic knowledge of something is nice, that can just be rectified by saying in the OP that if one doesn't know about the subject, their input will be downgraded possibly ignored.

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-15, 10:41 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thank you for the suggestion. From time to time, a suggestion arises suggesting that we add guidelines or monitor debating tactics to ensure fairness (such as punishing the use of certain fallacies or continuing obstinance). We don't really do that (and don't want to or have the manpower to do so). People should be civil. That is the value we hold higher than proper debate, evidence, etc.