PDA

View Full Version : RPGing in the world of The Dark Tower...

Saintheart
2010-12-15, 11:50 PM
So given NBC's apparently signed on to do three movies and/or a TV series around Stephen King's books, I got to thinking and wondering: is there a licenced franchise, credible "fan system", or credible homebrew out there that recreates the world of The Dark Tower, right down to Gunslingers and all for RPGing?

If not, is it feasible to heavily homebrew D&D so as to run a campaign in Roland's world? I'm just out looking for ideas as to how people might try and run All-World. Any thoughts, pointers, links? :smallsmile:

EDIT: And yes, I know the way sai King wrote the books makes the universe basically literary Calvinball, I'd still love to know what people's thoughts are. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2010-12-16, 12:12 AM
Deadlands, maybe? It fits the 'gunslinger' motif well enough, and the Savage Worlds engine is a solid basis for all the various worlds they end up in.

Saintheart
2010-12-16, 08:35 AM
Sounds interesting, though I've not had any experience with that system. I'll look into that.

The Big Dice
2010-12-16, 12:28 PM
Deadlands is a good call. Obligatory shout out for GURPS too. Boot Hill, if you can find it, might be fun, if a bit of a dinosaur now.

Gamma World might be interesting, though I've not seen the new edition of it.

What you need is something that can handle civilised and social stuff. But it also needs to be able to handle the weird mutants, thinnies and so on. It needs a fairly deadly combat system, but it needs to also not be too particular about keeping to the rules at all times. As the world Moves On, things can change in various ways.

A quick bit of google-fu found this (http://waveyourgeekflag.blogspot.com/2010/04/dark-tower-rpg.html) and this (http://www.nemesis-system.com/darktower/). Both seem quite interesting,but I'd say experiemtn and find something with the right feel for your group to work with.

Urpriest
2010-12-16, 12:44 PM
Boot Hill, if you can find it, might be fun, if a bit of a dinosaur now.

That's the setting Murlynd is from, right? If so, damn, dinosaur is an understatement. Trilobite maybe.

kyoryu
2010-12-16, 12:45 PM
I'd be tempted to start with GURPS. Genre-bending, relatively low-powered - that's all right up GURPS' alley.

Just remember that the baseline for what the system needs to handle is:

a pack of Dr. Doom clones on robotic horses, wielding lightsabers and explosive Golden Snitches, being fought by three gunslingers with six-shooters

That's the setting Murlynd is from, right? If so, damn, dinosaur is an understatement. Trilobite maybe.

Watch it, sonny. I remember when that was a new game. Now get off my lawn.

Lost Demiurge
2010-12-16, 04:20 PM
I played in a Dark Tower game at Gencon a few years back. It used a homebrew that had L5R as the base, believe it or not... Worked out pretty well.

The GM said he'd selected L5R mainly because the system was deadly as heck! I believed him.

It DID help that we had a great GM, though. Without him, it woulda been much less interesting.

Psyx
2010-12-17, 06:45 AM
Deadlands is good. The newer savage worlds system is multi-genre, which gets extra kudos.

If you want it deadly, then there's also nWoD, which is easily re-tolled for pretty much anything.

The new Gamma World isn't really suitable for this kind of thing. Because it's fun but ultimately silly.

If you want it heroic, then Torg. If you want it VERY heroic, then maybe Feng-Shui.

Saintheart
2010-12-17, 08:58 AM
Again, thankee-sai to all of you, though given the situation I don't know whether to tap my chest or my throat, or with the left or right hand. :smallsmile: :smallwink: