PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifices (Self less acts of video games awesome)

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-16, 12:49 AM
Whats your favorite or saddest or most awe inspiring video game sacrifices?

My favorite is Jorge from Halo Reach. He is my second favorite VG character, and when he sacrificed himself I was all, OH YOU AHOLES! I HATE YOU! But he goes out with a bang and probably would live through that.

My saddest if Sgt Johnson (End of Halo 3) As e is my favorite VG character, and totally has my last name!

Most epic? Carters in Halo reach. Showed that Scarab who's boss!

dgnslyr
2010-12-16, 12:55 AM
Aeris from FFVII.

It's probably common knowledge by now, so spoilers are probably pointless...

While we're on the subject of FF, Cid Pollendizia, who
blew himself up to save the rest of the party. With a smile on his face.

He got better, though, along with all the other party members. Except for Tellah. He stays dead. Good riddance, useless sage.

Comet
2010-12-16, 08:18 AM
Persona 3. If you've played the game all the way to the end, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's pretty much the ultimate sacrifice, for the ultimate purpose.

Smiling Knight
2010-12-16, 08:25 AM
Man, I was about to say that. And The Answer makes it even better.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-16, 08:32 AM
The twins in FF4. They were just kids :smallfrown:

Asthix
2010-12-16, 08:57 AM
While we're on the subject of FF, Cid Pollendizia,

Doesn't Cid sacrifice himself in every version?

Anyway, I'm super old so I'll mention ChronoTrigger.
That really threw me for a loop when you the main character were the one sacrificed. The way I remember it the bad guy points out how your classic hero complex will get you killed one day. Then you decide to fight the thing responsible for the destruction of the world by yourself. Just goes to show that the bad guy may be evil, but they can also be right.

shiram
2010-12-16, 09:10 AM
Mass Effect

has you choose between two of your characters, which one will die which one you save, I saved Ashley

Zevox
2010-12-16, 09:11 AM
Also Persona 3: Chidori.

"It's not just my life anymore..." :smallfrown:

Zevox

Tengu_temp
2010-12-16, 09:21 AM
Oh yeah, the Persona 3 sacrifices. All of them (there's at least three or four - yeah, it's a very bittersweet game). So sad. You can revert one in FES and avert another in the portable version, but they're still heart-wrenching.

Also, the best ending of Planescape: Torment. Possibly the most moving scene in a western RPG ever.

Fallout 3 Hey, don't look at me like that.

Aeris from FFVII.

It's probably common knowledge by now, so spoilers are probably pointless...

Not a sacrifice. She didn't expect to die. Still sad though.

BridgeCity
2010-12-16, 10:15 AM
. . .

Not a sacrifice. She didn't expect to die. Still sad though.

My reading of that has always been that for Holy to work, a soul needed to carry its power to the planet. I seem to recall the game or some other source mentioning that. So, to me, she went there with the intention of being killed and having her soul trigger Holy.

Edit: Bugenhagen says that if a soul searching Holy reaches the planet, it will appear. To me that sounds like Aeris knew what she was doing and intentially got killed while using/praying to Holy.

As far as game sacrafices go for me . . .

. . . the end of Mass Effect 2 was pretty awesome. A group of out-casts and misfits laying down their lives to protect the whole galaxy. Loved it. Especially if whoever you send back with the crew doesn't make it and you only hear about their death later on. The whole offscrean death really makes it seem like a desperate sacrafice to me.

There's more, I just can't think of any right now.

Xondoure
2010-12-16, 10:44 AM
Killing the Archdemon in Dragon Age without the help of black magic. Throwing a sword into the beasts chest may have been the crowning moment of that game for me. (Although I wish they'd come up with a mage ending). Plus you get to see your funeral, which is nice cause normally you don't get to stick around for that bit. Or maybe you do. I wouldn't know having yet to die.

Zevox
2010-12-16, 10:55 AM
(Although I wish they'd come up with a mage ending).
I wish they'd come up with a non-warrior ending - Rogues wielding a two-handed sword like that is hardly less awkward than a mage doing it.

Zevox

Tazar
2010-12-16, 10:57 AM
James in Fallout 3.

Grendus
2010-12-16, 11:07 AM
Tidas in FFX, more for the irony than anything.

He absolutely flips out when he finds out that Yuna will have to die to defeat Sin, but when he finds out that permanently defeating Sin will 'kill' him, he hides it from everybody. At least in her case, it was considered common knowledge, they just thought he was suffering from amnesia and knew everything else.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-16, 11:56 AM
My reading of that has always been that for Holy to work, a soul needed to carry its power to the planet. I seem to recall the game or some other source mentioning that. So, to me, she went there with the intention of being killed and having her soul trigger Holy.

Edit: Bugenhagen says that if a soul searching Holy reaches the planet, it will appear. To me that sounds like Aeris knew what she was doing and intentially got killed while using/praying to Holy.

The creators have officially stated that Aeris* didn't intend to sacrifice herself. So yeah. Actually, that makes it sadder - the death of someone who didn't intend to die is much more tragic.

* - Everyone and their dog knows this spoiler, so it's one of the few things that don't need to be marked. Darth Vader is Luke's father!

While we're on the topic of Final Fantasy, let's go with 6:
Cid's sacrifice for Celes on the lone island (he overworks himself making the raft in secrecy and dies). It results in one of the saddest, most heart-wrenching scenes ever. You know what I'm talking about.

And yes, I know you can save him by giving him good fish. I don't care. Sometimes, a story works better if it's sadder.

shiram
2010-12-16, 12:23 PM
Thats a great on in FFXI, but that Star Wars one wasnt about sacrifices.

JadedDM
2010-12-16, 12:50 PM
Doesn't Cid sacrifice himself in every version?

Nope. Just the one in FF4. And he gets better later, as I recall.

averagejoe
2010-12-16, 01:57 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Specifically discussion of video games. Moved to video games.

T.G. Oskar
2010-12-16, 02:14 PM
Pshaw! Cid had fun when he did his job, and we all know FF4 is full of sacrifices. How about FFV?

Galuf sacrifices his own life to give a fighting chance to the party, and pretty much delivers the beatdown of his life to Exdeath. Being the last warrior of Dawn alive, it was the time to deliver the torch to the new heroes. The fact Krile/Cara carries on his name is a double act of sacrifice.

Or how about another on Final Fantasy 6?

Before Aeris was being proposed for resurrection, General Leo was the first. People WANTED Leo to survive and remain kicking it. That's one of the reasons I simply can't forgive Kefka, because Leo was the closest thing to a Badass Normal warrior; one of the only few who dared face a Magitek Armor with nothing else but pure swordsmanship.

Now, does it has to be deaths only? Since in Tactics Ogre:

Lans gets a terrible fate, trying to do his job. I recall that Lans takes all the punishment in order to save other people, and he gets terribly tortured. It's at the end when you see the heart-wrenching moment of a broken Paladin, a real, true, honest and noble Paladin turned into something akin to a mumbling kid, that you develop an unflinching hatred for Lodis, evensomore when:

You know that amongst the guys who tortured Lans, was the other Lans, Alphonse Tartare/Tartaros, whom also lost a good and honest man like Rictor Lasanti. That's just hitting the crapper.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-16, 02:15 PM
How could I forget about FF5? I feel silly now. I'm pretty sure there was something else I wanted to mention but forgot about, too.

ArlEammon
2010-12-16, 02:35 PM
How could I forget about FF5? I feel silly now. I'm pretty sure there was something else I wanted to mention but forgot about, too.

Dragon Warrior IV, for the NES, when Your girlfriend/boyfriend sacrifices themselves to save you by transforming themselves into you, and then dying off-screen while you listen to the battle in hiding.

Wraith
2010-12-16, 02:37 PM
The ending of Fallout (the original) made me feel like I'd been kicked in the gut.

It was probably the first - best - example that taught me how good stories don't have to have a happy ending.

shiram
2010-12-16, 03:22 PM
Red Dead Redemption

in the last few missions, when you are finally back with your familly, having done all the work the government asked of you. The army storming in, losing Uncle, and finally going down in a blaze of glory while your wife and kid escape

I was actually angry at that, and then to have the game continue too... Truly one of the great games of 2010.

Toastkart
2010-12-16, 04:08 PM
Hamlet, from Illusion of Gaia (http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag855f9/n/Angela_Bright_avi). I never really could get into this game, but I watched my brother play it a lot.

Gremio, from Suikoden 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytHt2wBUPM0). This one really pissed me off and I totally ended Oppenheimer rather than get him to join like I did the other generals.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-16, 06:58 PM
The ending of Fallout (the original) made me feel like I'd been kicked in the gut.

It was probably the first - best - example that taught me how good stories don't have to have a happy ending.

I don't know...

I always shot the elder in the face with a machine gun. I figured that was pretty happy...for me. :smallbiggrin:

Terraoblivion
2010-12-16, 07:05 PM
Georg in Suikoden V. While it is another example of a selfless sacrifice that doesn't end in his death, he's still forced to set aside everything for the sake of the greater good. Anybody who has gotten far enough in the game, which is not that far if you're perceptive and decent at deduction, should be able to tell what it is. The scene where you get to see it also ranks as one of the saddest scenes in any game ever, though not for Georg sacrifice itself.

Maxios
2010-12-16, 07:08 PM
Fallout 3. The cut scene where ever you entered the Purifier (or Fawkes) was awesome.

Halo: Reach. Though it did bug me it only took a couple Elites with energy swords to take Noble-6 down in the end.

Tengu_temp
2010-12-16, 07:21 PM
Georg in Suikoden V.

Speaking of Suikoden V:
Roy, if you choose to stay in the castle instead of escaping. Fits both the sad and awesome criteria.

Triaxx
2010-12-16, 08:01 PM
Wilbur in Sacred.

Ozu in Freelancer. And later Walker.

Lavitz in Legend of Dragoon.

I sometimes find that the most memorable sacrifices are in the games with the least epic story lines. Perhaps it's the awesomeness ratio. If everything is inspiring, each individual moment is less so.

KingOfLaughter
2010-12-16, 09:02 PM
Fallout 3. The cut scene where ever you entered the Purifier (or Fawkes) was awesome.

Halo: Reach. Though it did bug me it only took a couple Elites with energy swords to take Noble-6 down in the end.

Noble 6 is a spartan 3 and doesn't have nearly the modifications as a spartan 2.

The fact that he managed to last so long by himself and then only died because he got knocked over shows serious skill and serious awesome.

Vitruviansquid
2010-12-17, 12:29 AM
From Ogre Battle 64...

Ogre Battle 64, when Dio takes on an six (or seven?) enemies in order to save you and the leader of the Revolutionary army. The best part of this sacrifice is that he doesn't die.

Because he's MF'in Dio.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-17, 12:38 AM
It's kind of silly to spoiler both the sacrifice and the game name. I mean, there's a lot of games I don't want spoilered, but I think it's okay to know there's a sacrifice in the game, just not what it is.

That being said:

Chrono Trigger
Chrono's sacrifice was heroic and very heartbreaking. Also Robo's "you guys go ahead to the future, I'll stay behind and work for 400 years", while not a sacrifice per se, is pretty heroic.

FF5
The unwilling sacrifice of Shadow on The Floating Island. I know now that you can save him, but you probably won't know that on your first playthrough. Meeting Relm after is just heartbreaking.

SparkMandriller
2010-12-17, 04:53 AM
I liked it when I was playing BF2 and people put c4 on the front of their cars and drove into tanks.

Those guys were pretty helpful.

Brother Oni
2010-12-17, 07:56 AM
My favourite is in Too Human.

Earlier on in the game, there's all these little interactions between the normal soldiers and the Valkyries who take the honoured fallen to Valhalla.
They first introduce the Valkyries by having one arrive and take a fallen soldier. All the men stare in awe at her beauty and grace and they all hope that when their time comes, they'll be chosen too. Except for the medic, who stares at her with ambivalent feelings.

There's a great bit of drama later where the medic is trying to save a fellow soldier when the Valkyrie arrives to take him away. He swears at her, telling her "You're not going to take him! Live dammit!", but he dies anyway and she takes him.

Later on you're assaulting the norse hell and you're fighting these stupidly tough zombie soldiers that are giving you, Baldyr, a technological god and super soldier, a hard time and you've got these regular soldiers backing you up.
There's a scene where the medic is surrounded by these zombies, dragging his crippled sergeant back to stop him becoming one of them.
The Valkyrie arrives and the medic shouts at her "What are you waiting for?! Take him!" and turns away, firing at the zombies.

Just as the zombies reach them, the Valkyrie picks up the medic and takes him to Valhalla.

hamishspence
2010-12-17, 03:32 PM
From Starcraft:
Tassadar, sacrificing himself to destroy the Overmind.

Jane_Smith
2010-12-17, 06:18 PM
Bolvar, though he didnt die persay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4Jgtyql1s