PDA

View Full Version : A Game of Thrones RPG

BridgeCity
2010-12-16, 06:21 AM
I have been reading over the Sword and Sorcery: A Game of Thrones RPG book recently. I love the novels and think that a game set in Westeros would be great, as I'm a big fan of very low magic, higher emphasis on melee styled games with large amounts of out of combat activity.

I have a few questions about the RPG.

I was wondering if anyone out there has played it much? If so, how was it? Was it fun? Are there any major flaws with the system? Stuff like that.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Whammydill
2010-12-16, 07:35 AM
I've played it at two different times a while ago. I'd say it is alot more fun when the person running it has a healthy knowledge of Westerosi culture and lore, as well as knowledge of how feudal systems work in general. Those are important facets of that game world.

It's also important to get that black/grey morality of the world; where there are monsters and bad men...and they do win. Kind of the whole "Winter is Coming" i.e. "its about to get worse," feeling. All in all it requires more investment into political intrigue/warfare than your standard gaming fare. Kind of like the Birthright setting......now that I think of it, I'd LOVE a Birthright in the Westeros setting.

BridgeCity
2010-12-16, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I really like the idea of being in a world that is basically falling apart, not because of all powerfull creatures or epic level necromancers or whatever, but because of the greed and hunger for power of normal humans. That setting really appeals to me, so I'm glad to hear you say the rules work well for it. I've always wanted a more politically based campaign, with intrigue and back stabbings and all that, but I feel that D&Ds magic tends to make alot of that stuff pointless or too easy.