PDA

View Full Version : Fallout from epic encounters (3.5)

Adamaro
2010-12-16, 06:29 AM
Say there was an Armageddon in (a generic D&D) world. Epic spellcasters vs. gods (NOT 70 HD to-be-dropped-in-a-single-round outsiders, but Gods (James Earl Jones voice)), ancient proto-gods were avoken with huge numbers of abominations (divine monsters) and even The Serpent, First-Of-Magic-Users popped in this conflict.

So after all maxmised/empowered/quickened/epic/pimped out/planets of cheeze, death of several gods and almost all others included in this whole affair, world is a blistering ruin.

But, there are survivors.

Many in fact. And they are not friendly.

Please, list them.

Among more interesting I have so far:

- Abominations
- living spells
- constructs (running on obslete orders and warped by armageddon)
- undead (empire)
- warped vermin
- huge areas, covered in AMF creating fungi
- roaming hordes of ghous
- in material plane stuck outsiders
- creatures with pseudo- template

... there are of course also survivor orcs, ogres, catpeople, kuo-toas, tojanidas and all sorts of obscure whatnots. What I would like is monsters/things one does usually not find in a generic, untouched by armageddon D&D world.

3.5 ed :smallbiggrin:

Sampi
2010-12-16, 06:42 AM
Obviously, some of the things most resistant to magic and death - constructs. Many of these have probably lost their owner and are running on obsolete orders. Some may be warped by the armageddon. Some may have been created in it.

olelia
2010-12-16, 06:45 AM
Obviously, some of the things most resistant to magic and death - constructs. Many of these have probably lost their owner and are running on obsolete orders. Some may be warped by the armageddon. Some may have been created in it.

And some constantly saying 404 ERROR NOT FOUND

FelixG
2010-12-16, 06:55 AM
Well there would also be plenty of intelligent undead around saying wtf and trying to make a nice little empire for themselves.

Drakevarg
2010-12-16, 06:57 AM
Cockroaches, naturally.

Probably Colossal Dire Pseudonatural Spellwarped Cockroaches, considering the circumstances.

Eldan
2010-12-16, 07:06 AM
Fungi, was the first thing I thought off.

My train of thought:

Real world apocalyptic scenario: nukes.
Nukes: radiation.
Radiation: radiotrophic fungi. (Fungi living from radiation, in a manner similar to photosynthesis.)

Magical apocalypse: spells.
Spells: magical fallout.
Magic fallout: Magotrophic fungi.

This could manifest in two ways:
A thick, fungal network, almost like a forest, but denser. Think Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. These fungi live off magic radiation, creating antimagic zones near them.

Or as fungi people (there are some in the MM, and more elswhere).

Sampi
2010-12-16, 07:09 AM
Well there would also be plenty of intelligent undead around saying wtf and trying to make a nice little empire for themselves.

Also, starving ghoul hordes. They started out when there were all to many corpses to devour and created a lot more ghouls in the process. As time goes by less and less corpses are to be found, and now hordes/packs of ghouls roam around looking for those last few corpses remaining. Now and then they even attack in numbers to overwhelm creatures more powerful than themselves in desperation.

I like your setting.

Myth
2010-12-16, 07:24 AM
More than one Epic caster will be alive, or Clones of him will come alive, or contingent True Ressurects will activate, that sort of jazz.

Also, relguar 3.5 Gods, while not optimized, can pretty much lay the smacketh on most mortals via Supreme Initative and taking Epic Casting and having their 200,000 caster followers sacrifice slots. No made up proto-Gods necessary (but not excluded).

Gods with Rejuvenation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#rejuvenation)just come back ad infinitum. It's like a Lich that has a phylactery that doesn't really have any physical form. Tee-hee.

Runestar
2010-12-16, 07:37 AM
What about outsiders who were called/gated in as allies during this final fight and have no way of getting home? Or maybe there is no home for them to return to, as the heavens were also destroyed?

We could find the stray astral deva passing off as a paladin via alternate form and finding his place in the world. :smalltongue:

Adamaro
2010-12-16, 07:37 AM
@Myth
DM fiat was used regarding all that. The Serpent offered some (Tee-hee) new spells which would simply (as in CL 800 "simply") burn trough contingencies, clones, divine traits, phylacteries and such. With help of Nerull who became the strongest diety due to all the killing, such spells were forged and most of participants were scrubbed out of existence. Some were also trapped.

Myth
2010-12-16, 08:00 AM
A-ha, the truly mightiest of magic - DM Fiat. Where can I read about this Serpent btw? IRL it's hidden in some secret societies' lore, I know what it is a metaphor for and why Robert Jordan used it in the WOT series. What about DnD?

Runestar
2010-12-16, 08:07 AM
Is the serpent that creature in champions of ruin which feeds off people's nightmares? Dendar the night serpent? :smalleek:

Dross
2010-12-16, 08:10 AM
There could still be lots of Underdark creatures and races who survived. Could possibly even have underground utopian societies and what not. I am reminded of some old Dark Sun material where druids had created whole forests and ecosystems underground.

Eldan
2010-12-16, 08:11 AM
Is the serpent that creature in champions of ruin which feeds off people's nightmares? Dendar the night serpent? :smalleek:

No, it's THE serpent. As in, the personification of magic which may or may not exist, of which Asmodeus may or may not be a part and which may or may not have talked to Vecna.

Adamaro
2010-12-16, 08:11 AM
Nah, its homebrew, similar to the Serpent who ascends Pun Pun.

Myth
2010-12-16, 08:12 AM
There could still be lots of Underdark creatures and races who survived. Could possibly even have underground utopian societies and what not. I am reminded of some old Dark Sun material where druids had created whole forests and ecosystems underground.

Yea because screw sunlight, I'm a makin' mah forest in a cave!

No, it's THE serpent. As in, the personification of magic which may or may not exist, of which Asmodeus may or may not be a part and which may or may not have talked to Vecna.

Thaaat's the one. It's taken right out of IRL. What's DnD's take on it? Is it only mentioned in the novels?

Eldan
2010-12-16, 08:21 AM
Eh, I don't know much about it, really.

Planescape material on Asmodeus shoudl at least mention it. Probably somewhere in Bloodwar, Faces of Evil or Planes of Law. I'd assume that Die, Vecna, Die or Vecna Lives also mention it.

Runestar
2010-12-16, 09:04 AM
I will need to reread serpent kingdoms, but I think the world serpent is the deity of the yuan-ti, which has since split into 5 different aspects?

Diarmuid
2010-12-16, 09:11 AM
I guess I dont see how an armageddon that kills gods is ignoring constructs, undead, vermin, living spells, etc.

Why would these things escape unscathed? I could potentially see a subterranean race/civilization surviviing if it was deep enough and the damage was mostly to the surface of the world...but those other things are not inherently immune to massive damage, crazy spells, etc.

Adamaro
2010-12-16, 09:16 AM
@Diarmuid
They hardly got trough "unscathed". But with, let's say - 8.000.000 HD of outsiders gated in during Armageddon and 30.000.000 ghouls made, there were a lot left after the last victim was erased by Truedeath spell (homebrew).

God i love these numbers :smallbiggrin:

Myth
2010-12-16, 09:19 AM
I see massive damage being brought up time and again, guys isn't this an alternative rule that is entirely optional?

Diarmuid - name is from Celtic mythology right? I remember reading it in "Celtic Myths and Legends"

Adamaro
2010-12-16, 09:20 AM
I see massive dmg as lava and rocks of fire raining form the sky, lightning storms, earthquakes, and 1000d6 arcane strikes over swathes of land size of Texas :smallbiggrin: Now that's massive dmg.

Dross
2010-12-16, 09:26 AM
Yea because screw sunlight, I'm a makin' mah forest in a cave!

lol, yeah, my first thought, too. But its a magical world. Its possible that there could be some one way portal in the "sky" (way up high in a massive cavern) that allows for the trees to photosynthesize. Remember its a fantasy game :)

Douglas
2010-12-16, 09:27 AM
I see massive damage being brought up time and again, guys isn't this an alternative rule that is entirely optional?
You mean the 50 damage = save or die rule? No, that's standard RAW. The optional variants all deal with scaling either the damage threshold or the save DC.

Telonius
2010-12-16, 09:32 AM
Monks
The one Truenamer who rolled all 20s on his saves
Pseudonatural everythings
Many more chimeric creatures.
Warforged might actually have a good time in that kind of environment
Proto-illithids (Mindflayers are supposed to be our descendants from far in the future, right?)

Drakevarg
2010-12-16, 09:37 AM
lol, yeah, my first thought, too. But its a magical world. Its possible that there could be some one way portal in the "sky" (way up high in a massive cavern) that allows for the trees to photosynthesize. Remember its a fantasy game :)

Biology, go sit in the corner with your big brother, Physics.

Runestar
2010-12-16, 09:42 AM
The tarrasque. :smallamused: