PDA

View Full Version : A ghost tale

Duragonburo
2010-12-16, 07:11 AM
The last session ended with the players in a crypt. They are about to open some sarcophaguses (I can never pronounce this right) and next session I was thinking about placing a ghost in one of the sarcophagi? who will pop out when opened and enter a PC's body:smallamused:.

The ghost would ask for the characters help with something, a minor sidequest perhaps, or maybe just thrust them into a big adventure. I wouldn't mind him switching bodies several times in the middle of a session, but I wouldn't want him to "be himself" if you catch my drift. This is a Neutral human, aristocrat ghost, and I was thinking it could have something to do with the Big Plotline. Which I have yet to come up with. But I want to have a big war between a town and goblinkind, and a BBEG who's a wizard. Perhaps a former enemy of the ghost?

So what I need is some ideas for characteristics for the ghost or fun things I could make the "posessed" characters do (or not do), and if you'd like to hand me an idea for plotlines or sidequests I wouldn't mind but you should know I'm great with making up storylines on the spot.

Tokuhara
2010-12-16, 10:40 AM
#1: I love this, though the mechanics of possession are really wonky. For ease's sake, just tell what player is possessed, and make it temporary

#2: I actually think the ghost should be either a Human Commoner who was a slave to the BBEG or a Human Wizard (high level) who was the BBEG's betrayed master. This would make plot easier to contend with. Remember: Aristocrat=Politition

#3: As for what impact the ghost has, I say make it big. Remember, he can't exactly "die" in the normal sense, and maybe he gives a the possessed PC a small boost (say +2 to all saves or 1d12 Temporary HP that stack) and have a big quest to take on the BBEG

#4: Perhaps have the Ghost BE the BBEG. Maybe the BBEG is the arcane equivelant to a Psion Uncarnate, able to shift from the mortal to the spirit worlds at will. Maybe he can change his form. And he has the players, who think they are hurting the BBEG, actually do his "dirty work"

However, you need to drop subtle hints that their Ghost companion isn't who he says he is. Then, you have the ultimate classic plot twist...

Duragonburo
2010-12-16, 01:07 PM
I wanted the ghost to be an aristocrat because I didn't give the PC's enough gold/equipment to begin with, and they aren't the type to go looking.

But sure, he might be a former associate of the BBEG (or who the PC's think is the BBEG... That's great!) Works out the same.

And yeah, he should be able to give the characters some type of bonus. I don't know about extra hit die's and something like that. Maybe skill points or something. And I was thinking to have the ghost take over the body if the possessed PC goes into the negatives.

Great. Can't wait to start the next session!

Tyrmatt
2010-12-16, 01:19 PM
I think the 4th Edition campaigns have a ghost that does exactly this and would probably adapt pretty easily to this. It was in the PA podcasts, the second series they did with Wil Wheaton. I forget the name of course.

I say that as an aristocrat, the spirit provides bonuses to diplomacy and would have ranks in several skills the PCs would traditionally neglect which can be substituted for the PCs rank when a check needs to be made. Possibly also provide a bonus to will saves as well as he had the willpower to come back as a ghost.

Shade Kerrin
2010-12-16, 04:21 PM
Fun things for the possessed to do...depends on how self-aware the ghost is, really.
If he's fully aware of both his current and previous state, he might get distracted by being solid again, and spend a few minutes just touching everything.

Duragonburo
2010-12-16, 05:26 PM
Definitely the Will saves, yes. And sure, bonus skill points in obscure things, like alchemy, appraise and forgery. And then make the PC's use it to further the campaign.

Touching everything. And everyone.
"For so long I have been without the touch of flesh. This barmaid will suit my pleasure."
"Roll d20 will save against pinching her butt."
"Crud."
Rest of party: "You orc-snot, now we can't even buy our drinks there! And how are we going to start every session if there's no bar we're allowed in?!"

I can just picture it.

Also, yes, he's going to be lucid. And like everyone who's been robbed of their lives, wanting things. Like the barmaid.