PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gygax Auction

Person_Man
2010-12-16, 10:43 AM
Via Boing Boing (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/15/e-gary-gygaxs-game-c.html).

The sad fate of every comic book collector and gamer married to a non-gamer. After our passing, our books are auctioned off (http://www.thecollectorstrove.com/site-news/2010/12/13/e-gary-gygax-auction-begins.html). At the very least, I feel like his widow should make a random encounter table (http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/03/05/great-moments-in-gyg.html#previouspost) to see what happens to them.

I'm blocked from E-Bay at work. Anything interesting on the list?

bokodasu
2010-12-16, 11:55 AM
Man, I wish I'd known about this earlier. Looks like all the good stuff is gone.

Choco
2010-12-16, 12:03 PM
On the plus side, at least she waited until AFTER he died to do this. I know some guys who's (often ex-)wives sold/gave away their collections while they were very much alive, without even saying anything. They didn't find out until after they were looking for their stuff. Then the wives wondered why they were so mad about some childish "toys" they never played with anyway...

DisgruntledDM
2010-12-16, 12:48 PM
On the plus side, at least she waited until AFTER he died to do this. I know some guys who's (often ex-)wives sold/gave away their collections while they were very much alive, without even saying anything. They didn't find out until after they were looking for their stuff. Then the wives wondered why they were so mad about some childish "toys" they never played with anyway...

I just keep adding to the list of reasons as to why I'm staying single.

Not that I have much of a choice anyway.

Hawriel
2010-12-16, 12:57 PM
He didnt have kids to take it, or given to friends?

Some times I wonder what will happen to all of my books after I die. I honestly have no hope that any one who would appreciate them will get them. Most likly end up in a dumbster.

Xefas
2010-12-16, 01:05 PM
I just keep adding to the list of reasons as to why I'm staying single.
Not that I have much of a choice anyway.

I know some guys who's (often ex-)wives sold/gave away their collections while they were very much alive, without even saying anything. They didn't find out until after they were looking for their stuff. Then the wives wondered why they were so mad about some childish "toys" they never played with anyway...

Quick, lets convert this thread from "Gary Gygax Auction" to "Why women are all evil without exception". I'll start.

1) All of them seem to be staunchly opposed to riding dirt bikes in one's house.
2) They don't seem to like it when you grab their pig-tails and go "VROOM VROOM" like a motorcycle.
3) They chase you on the playground and I don't know how to make them stop.

Choco
2010-12-16, 01:23 PM
Quick, lets convert this thread from "Gary Gygax Auction" to "Why women are all evil without exception". I'll start.

I said what I did because in all the cases that I am personally familiar with, it was women who have done this. I purposely put the line "I know some guys" in there to avoid such nonsense.

DisgruntledDM never said anything of that sort either, he just said he has a list of reasons he personally wants to stay single.

Xefas
2010-12-16, 01:27 PM
Way to take things out of context and be self-righteous about a non-existent issue and possibly turn a thread into a flame war...

What? :smallconfused: I was making a joke. Chill out, brah.

More to the point of the thread, I was kinda hoping we'd get a "Museum of Tabletop RPGs" and have Gygax's stuff immortalized for all the public to see along other influential people in the industry.

Choco
2010-12-16, 01:30 PM
What? :smallconfused: I was making a joke. Chill out, brah.

Whew, sorry bout that then! Ill go edit my previous post... Gotta indicate that you are being sarcastic over forums, cause there are plenty of people here that say things like that seriously...

AtwasAwamps
2010-12-16, 01:48 PM

1) All of them seem to be staunchly opposed to riding dirt bikes in one's house.
2) They don't seem to like it when you grab their pig-tails and go "VROOM VROOM" like a motorcycle.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/517

Choco
2010-12-16, 02:44 PM
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/517

LOL, that is IMO the best of the "started in 2010" web comics out there..

That being said, a gaming museum with Gygax's stuff would have been a good idea, but on the other hand I don't know how much money a place like that would make.

Hawriel makes a point though, at least via an auction someone who appreciates this stuff will end up with it, as opposed to it just getting dumped.

Godskook
2010-12-16, 02:55 PM

Sure you do:

Dr.Epic
2010-12-16, 03:05 PM
Looks like some cool stuff. Which I wasn't broke. The piece of medieval fantasy geek apparel I'd want more is the One Ring they used in the Peter Jackson adaptation of LotR.

SimperingToad
2010-12-16, 03:46 PM

Showing your age, eh? :smallwink:

Yes, he does. Ernie, Luke and Elise AFAIK were the three (of six) that had anything to do with D&D. Ernie was the player of the famous names of Tenser and Serten BITD. Luke's PCs included Melf and Otis (from the original ToEE). Elise has been credited with convincing dad to go with the "Dungeons & Dragons" name. Luke and Ernie still make appearances on some boards and Cons. Not sure about Elise.

I believe I saw the total number of items to be over 3,000 pieces. Who would want to keep that much stuff, even if family? I understand Luke has, or will be having his collection auctioned off as well.

Speaking of family... dunno how other folks do things, but in my family, when someone passes, everyone keeps a few special items that we remember most as being associated with that person. A lot of people consider Gary to be family (in an extended way). Others likely just bid for the kewl factor.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-16, 11:26 PM
I'm going to hate myself for asking this, especially considering I missed this auction....but where Gary Gygax's dice in that auction?

SimperingToad
2010-12-17, 01:03 AM
Didn't see them in the list of initial auctions I saw. Still a lot of stuff to go. If they are sold at all, I'm guessing they will be among the last.

Tyndmyr
2010-12-17, 02:01 AM
I'm actually relieved to see that Gygax's stuff is being auctioned off. Now hold on, Im not that cold hearted. See, the word "auction" looks surprisingly like "action" when you're reading fast. I had horrible thoughts of necromancy gone amok.

In seriousness, it makes sense, when you consider the sheer volume of stuff he likely had. I'm sure when I die someday, someone looking through my stuff is going to wonder why on earth I have such a quantity of obscure things. *shrug* Such is life.

Person_Man
2010-12-17, 09:55 AM
I'm going to hate myself for asking this, especially considering I missed this auction....but where Gary Gygax's dice in that auction?

I assume Gary had several hundred dice. If they're smart, they'll only auction off one full set (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20), one die at a time. I imagine that Gary Gygax's d20 would end up being some sort of mythological artifact.

grimbold
2010-12-17, 11:28 AM
god i had known about this...
GYGAX'S MYTHICAL D20
so bummed:smallannoyed:

Matthew
2010-12-17, 07:16 PM
I think it is just the extraneous material that is going to auction, memorabilia and the like. Stuff like his favourite dice and notes for Castle Greyhawk will likely be retained within the family, whether from his first marriage or his second.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-12-17, 07:34 PM
I think it is just the extraneous material that is going to auction, memorabilia and the like. Stuff like his favourite dice and notes for Castle Greyhawk will likely be retained within the family, whether from his first marriage or his second.

I hope not...not because his family doesn't deserve them (they probably do) but because I would pay out the nose for a set of Gygax's dice (including one of his, likely many, legendary d20s) or his notes for Castle Greyhawk......ESPECIALLY his notes for Castle Greyhawk.

I assume Gary had several hundred dice. If they're smart, they'll only auction off one full set (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20), one die at a time. I imagine that Gary Gygax's d20 would end up being some sort of mythological artifact.

You mean it isn't already? :smallconfused:

Shyftir
2010-12-17, 07:40 PM

Some times I wonder what will happen to all of my books after I die. I honestly have no hope that any one who would appreciate them will get them. Most likly end up in a dumbster.

I volunteer for you to send them to me, though I'm probably not enough younger than you for it to matter.

SimperingToad
2010-12-17, 08:53 PM

Would make a lot of sense actually. Especially if there were the possibility of releasing CG to the public in actual game form. Though one wonders how much would be original and how much would be akin to Christopher Tolkien pieceing together his father's notes for The Silmarillion or The Book of Lost Tales.

Grommen
2010-12-18, 01:03 AM
Well. At least they are going to people who might like them.

Kinda like money. Can't take it with you.

I would hope that my over sized load of crap would eventually make someone happy once again.

Personally I think I'm going to give all my stuff to the local gaming store and make them sell it all over again. :smalltongue: They seemed pleased to hock the stuff to me in the first place.

And Hawriel. You know moms calling me to unload all your stuff on. I'm the only one of your friends that is in her caller ID. I'm in babie!