PDA

View Full Version : (mind) Hellbred?

Escheton
2010-12-16, 12:24 PM
Can anyone tell me what they get beyond the +2 cha, -2 con.
And how one actually becomes hellbred?
Don't have FC2...

Boci
2010-12-16, 12:29 PM
Its not covered by the OGL, so I cannot be specific, but a hellbred is someone who regrets his evil life at the moment of death and is given an unlikely chance to avoid Ba'ator by committing their second life to doing good. They gain telepathy and darkvision and can use evil weapons as a paladin without falling, as long as they do not use them to commit evil acts. That is the spirit option, there is also a body option with grants -2 int and +2 con and some bonus devil touched feats.

Escheton
2010-12-16, 12:31 PM
thanks.

They can just be evil and go to hell later right?

Boci
2010-12-16, 12:32 PM
Yes, and even if they do live a good life it is unlikely they will be able to atone sufficiently for their past sins.

Escheton
2010-12-16, 12:40 PM
Alright, hellbred dread necro/pale master/lich it is then

Now, is this a seperate race, or more a template?

Can one be a hellbred human, or hellbred elf or whatever?

Boci
2010-12-16, 12:44 PM
Can one be a hellbred human, or hellbred elf or whatever?

Its a race, not a template, but you could have been any humanoid in your previous life.

Also, if you're looking for a class with a bonus to cha, their is also the spellscales, who likewise recieve a con penalty.

Escheton
2010-12-16, 01:14 PM
I kinda like taking mindsight at lvl 15.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Does it mention any physical features of hellbred?

Xefas
2010-12-16, 01:20 PM
Does it mention any physical features of hellbred?

They are universally terrible to behold, almost like a zombie crossed with a demon, and then put through a corn thresher.

Here is a picture from the Wizards site:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/FC2_Gallery/101472.jpg

Thiramon
2010-12-16, 02:19 PM
As you want to go back to your evil ways, I'd recommend signing a pact with your favorite Arch Devil. That way you turn from lawful good to lawful evil with the benefits of a pact worth nine corruption points. Those nine points are worth two extra feats and one skill rank.

If you want to go back to hell, why not have some benefits with it? :smallamused:

My own Hellbred Psion now is a loyal and powerful follower of Asmodeus (Mark of Nessus, yay!), working his ways up the ranks of hell instead of being a hero on the silly quest for salvation.

Evil is more fun anyway. :smallwink:

Regards,

Thiramon

Godskook
2010-12-16, 02:23 PM
I don't think I'd allow a character who's a "nonrepentant" hellbred. That's a contradiction in terms. At least not "out of the box", and I'd be disappointed by anyone who played a hellbred who casually walked back down the road to hell. (Struggling addicts, Shades of grey, and old-habits types would all be better)

Escheton
2010-12-16, 02:24 PM
Though tempting, actually signing anything over to a demon/devil is a bit much.
There is always the chance I die before hitting epic lvls and slaying the demon/devil to which my soul/whatever is due.

It's for a rule of cool, team evil gestalt cleric game.
So the road back isn't much of a big deal in this case.
Normally, I agree.

Pechvarry
2010-12-16, 02:27 PM
I don't think I'd allow a character who's a "nonrepentant" hellbred. That's a contradiction in terms. At least not "out of the box", and I'd be disappointed by anyone who played a hellbred who casually walked back down the road to hell. (Struggling addicts, Shades of grey, and old-habits types would all be better)

/agree.

You need a really good justification to be an evil Hellbred --unless you're just stealing the crunch of the class, in which case it makes a really nice alternative to tiefling or fiendish templates. As written, it's hard to be so penitent that you were given a 2nd path, and yet be a gleeful psychopath.

Boci
2010-12-16, 02:40 PM

TBH I'm suprised WOTC actually chose that ruote for the sample hellfire warlock NPC.

Thiramon
2010-12-16, 02:42 PM
Well, we're pretty open-minded in our group. The detailed story behind the concept explains the second "fall". That character started at lvl 11, so he had lots of time to fall back into bad habits. :smallamused: In addition there's no rule that says you have to stay lawful good - characters do whatever pleases them. The Hellbred-form is just a second chance.

Regards,

Thiramon

Godskook
2010-12-16, 02:44 PM
TBH I'm suprised WOTC actually chose that ruote for the sample hellfire warlock NPC.

Huh? Which route?

Pechvarry
2010-12-16, 02:45 PM
Random note: It's unclear whether or not the body-form Hellbred's bonus feats require you to meet the prereqs. Devil's Favor (which all Hellbred receive) specifically states you waive the prereqs, but it simply says "bonus devil-touched feat" for the additionals at 4 and 14 HD. This could potentially suck.

Also, able to cast evil spells regardless of alignment? I'm so going to convince my DM to let me play a Hellbred Paladin who casts from the Blackguard spell list.

Boci
2010-12-16, 02:45 PM
Huh? Which route?

Evil hellbred.

Thiramon
2010-12-16, 02:55 PM
Random note: It's unclear whether or not the body-form Hellbred's bonus feats require you to meet the prereqs. Devil's Favor (which all Hellbred receive) specifically states you waive the prereqs, but it simply says "bonus devil-touched feat" for the additionals at 4 and 14 HD. This could potentially suck.

Also, able to cast evil spells regardless of alignment? I'm so going to convince my DM to let me play a Hellbred Paladin who casts from the Blackguard spell list.

Nope. The rules are pretty clear there. Devil's Favor is your first bonus feat, the other devil-touched ones only require that, no alignment restrictions. The other prerequisites, like CON 15+ for Devil's Flesh, have to be met, of course.

Regards,

Thiramon

Pechvarry
2010-12-16, 03:04 PM
Evil hellbred.

Particularly since Warlocks can be chaotic neutral or even chaotic good. Sample Hellfire warlock is also missing Devil's Favor from their feat list, not that I blame WotC for being sloppy with sample entries. It's pretty close to the last thing I'd like to read.

Godskook
2010-12-16, 03:06 PM
Evil hellbred.

Not the first time the sample character was horribly horribly off.

Boci
2010-12-16, 03:09 PM
Not the first time the sample character was horribly horribly off.

This is fluff though, not mechanics. Alighment may be mechanical, but it would be hard to pass off the choice to make the NPC a fallen hellbred as a typo/oversight.

Godskook
2010-12-16, 03:19 PM
This is fluff though, not mechanics. Alighment may be mechanical, but it would be hard to pass off the choice to make the NPC a fallen hellbred as a typo/oversight.

Bret* - the guy who writes none of the rules, but provides sample characters:

"Huh, what's a Hellbred? Must be a guy straight outa hell!!! Probably all evil and junk."

*fictional example. My apologies if WotC actually employs a "Bret", unless he wrote said Hellbred example.

Boci
2010-12-16, 03:22 PM
Bret* - the guy who writes none of the rules, but provides sample characters:

"Huh, what's a Hellbred? Must be a guy straight outa hell!!! Probably all evil and junk."

*fictional example. My apologies if WotC actually employs a "Bret", unless he wrote said Hellbred example.

Text block acknowledges "she origionally became a hellbred for a misspent life" but once again succumbed to evil.

Godskook
2010-12-16, 03:45 PM
Text block acknowledges "she origionally became a hellbred for a misspent life" but once again succumbed to evil.

So a "Struggling addict" type?

Psyren
2010-12-16, 03:48 PM
So a "Struggling addict" type?

More like "stupid evil."

"Wait, hell exists? And I narrowly escaped an eternity of torture? Awesome! Oh well, back to debauchery"