PDA

View Full Version : A Dream of Quiet (OoC)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Drascin
2011-03-02, 12:55 AM
Yes, yes I did. Kejak already wants to kill all Solars and put them in a freezer - somehow, I don't think he'd react very well to "hey, man, do you know the Solar shards? Yeah, Yozis got fifty of them and turned them into infernal deathknights working to turn the world into hell". Dude might just glass Gem to make sure she got you.

Also - Leliel, I think this time Laurel wasn't talking about Ebby, she was talking about Adorjan. That kind of philosophy is rather like the Murder-Buddha Adorjan thing, caring means weakness and makes you and them unhappy so you should murder them, and all that stuff. (Rest of the message still applies very much, though. It's just, I'm of the belief that when you insult someone, you should make sure your insults are exact so as to make them bite correctly! :smalltongue:)

Tavar
2011-03-02, 01:11 AM
You forgot the best part; those 50 guys? Totally outside fate, so you can't see them, and some of you're best abilities don't work on them. Sorry.

Plus, well, the Sid's aren't too hot for Lunars, either.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-02, 01:25 AM
Don't forget that Infernals can make their own resplendent destiny knockoffs so that you can't even see them by looking for the guys outside fate! (And they're better at the disguise part, too, even if they don't come with nifty powers like the sidereal version.)

And that we can pull other people out of fate with other charms!

Basically, Infernals just go to show: When you don't care about the fabric of reality, you can really mess with it.

Oh, and those elaborate summoning rules that prevent demons from entering Creation without at least some warning?... Yeah, we don't really care for them. Is it sundown? Snap fingers, demon here.

I'm sure I could go on, but I think a case could be made that Infernals are the dark mirror of Sidereals to some degree.

(I have a post to put up tomorrow, but I'm going to look it over in the morning, first.)

Leliel
2011-03-02, 12:33 PM
If that little rant sounds a bit like you'd imagine Corona would speak, you're right-he's developing her speech patterns (casual when normal, erudite when trying to impress/intimidate someone).

Recaiden
2011-03-02, 02:07 PM
It was in fact the Adorjan "Murder-Buddha" ideal that she was referring to, but the rant and violence were effective nonetheless.

Leliel
2011-03-02, 03:43 PM
I know that.

It just sounded like the Ebon Dragon, and he kind of heard the first part but not the second.

In any case, it's still a horrible way of life.

Drascin
2011-03-02, 04:50 PM
Hey, you won't get me arguing against that.

Anyway, forgot to mention - I know reaching the portal and such will take a while, Recaiden, so I'll be just watching for a while. Just give me a warning about it when the party has spent enough time talking to let me reach the gate :smalltongue:.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-02, 10:44 PM
I'll be flying for many hours the day after tomorrow (Friday), so I may be delayed in posting if something happens during that time. Still fine now, however.

Recaiden
2011-03-02, 10:48 PM
Understood. Also, You will be informed, Drascin.

As for FDA, that was all true.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-02, 11:11 PM
I fairly expected that to be all true. I'll edit that information in for the benefit of everyone else (including 'Laurel', in that Pyrus will have less reason to threaten her.)

Which means, for those keeping score, that 'Laurel' has been only helpful and honest to our knowledge, save claiming to be actual-Laurel.

Leliel
2011-03-04, 08:34 AM
Um....

Was that last post addressed to me?

aetherialDawn
2011-03-05, 03:53 PM
Oh! No, it was not. It was mostly at Pyrus, actually; Raziel disagrees with Laurel's philosophy, he's not complaining about her lying or not giving information or anything. Really, it was at nobody.

Leliel
2011-03-05, 09:45 PM
Uh, can I abstain till tomorrow?

Play performance is this Sunday, and I need my sleep.

Recaiden
2011-03-05, 10:03 PM

Yes, you may. Offline things are important.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-06, 01:03 AM

Enjoy your rest, and the play!

Tavar
2011-03-06, 11:21 AM
Wait. Were we all supposed to be switched at Exaltation? I had planned on being switched a bit later, when he was on the road to Gem.

Recaiden
2011-03-06, 11:50 AM
You can have switched at any point in your life, no matter what Pyrus says, though I had pictured it happening post exaltation. I never specified.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-06, 01:48 PM
In Orchid's case, the specific time of switch was more or less moot; it wasn't exactly at Exaltation, but since it was during the Chrysalis Grotesque there's not a big difference. It's more that Exaltation was not a single moment than that it wasn't at the same time as the merge.

(In case it matters)

Leliel
2011-03-06, 08:15 PM
Ditto. And in Raziel's case, it was more of a replacement.

Recaiden
2011-03-07, 10:22 AM
You know, Raziel would only be proving her right by killing her. But he could still make the attempt if he really wants.

Leliel
2011-03-08, 12:27 AM
He doesn't.

He'll feel horrible about the whole rage when he calms down a bit.

Right now...

"DIE, SHOPTENT, DIE!"

Recaiden
2011-03-08, 12:40 AM
Shoptent? :smallconfused:

Leliel
2011-03-08, 09:57 AM
Shop-tent.

Recaiden
2011-03-09, 09:16 PM
I still don't understand. It's probably really obvious, isn't it?

Tavar
2011-03-09, 09:45 PM
The shop-tent? I don't think so. Or, I have no idea what he's talking about either.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-09, 11:47 PM
There was a shop tent.
In his anger, Raziel crashed through it.
Thus, the abandoned shop tent fell.

Or from a more character-focused perspective, Raziel is being angry at things.

EDIT: Yes, the 'voice' of the solar memories is a painful neon yellow. You won't be seeing it much, and it seemed appropriate.

Drascin
2011-03-12, 03:35 PM
A pity this conversation is happening while Drake is heading away. I'd have liked to intervene. Ah well. Hoping it doesn't take much longer until I reach the Celestial gate...

Recaiden
2011-03-12, 11:49 PM
No. In fact, you could arrive now; if I recall correctly, it's quite close to Gem.

Drascin
2011-03-14, 09:05 AM
No. In fact, you could arrive now; if I recall correctly, it's quite close to Gem.

Ah, awesome. Can I assume that Drake used Efficient Secretary Technique in the way to the Celestial Gate to make sure Nazri was indeed at his office instead of who knows where? Feels a bit silly to waste a post in simply asking.

Recaiden
2011-03-14, 04:39 PM
Ah, awesome. Can I assume that Drake used Efficient Secretary Technique in the way to the Celestial Gate to make sure Nazri was indeed at his office instead of who knows where? Feels a bit silly to waste a post in simply asking.

Yes. And luckily enough, He is in his office, and not out around Heaven.

Drascin
2011-03-14, 05:02 PM
Yes. And luckily enough, He is in his office, and not out around Heaven.

Alright, thanks. Then I'll just fast-forward the whole "heading to the convention" bits (you know, giving the passwords to get through the door, getting a taxi...) a little so we can arrive to the important part without getting bogged down, okay? Expect a post soon! :smallbiggrin:

aetherialDawn
2011-03-14, 08:50 PM
This is going to be interesting.

I suspect that all Sidereals who care are cursed to live in interesting times, because they know every twist and turn on the way...

Leliel
2011-03-17, 08:11 AM
Yes. He is suggesting they go to the cult enclaves.

Although, it would be nice to pick up Beheris on the way.

Drascin
2011-03-19, 12:44 PM
My next post has been written for a while, to be honest, but I keep second-guessing myself :smallredface:. I'm not sure if I'm saying too much, but at the same time, Nazri's probably our best chance to hide the Infernals when the fate tangles start getting big, so we kinda need him on board if we don't want to have to keep checking our teacups for Sidereal Ninjas...

Ah well. Banzai and all that. Here we go - Unexpected Sincerity Prana activate! :smallbiggrin:

aetherialDawn
2011-03-20, 11:51 PM
I have finally thought of a way to describe just what's going on as far as what Drake has done.

Heaven and Hell are finally going to crash into one another again, one way or another. If we're lucky, it'll just be a glancing bounce.

Drascin
2011-03-21, 12:48 AM
I have finally thought of a way to describe just what's going on as far as what Drake has done.

Heaven and Hell are finally going to crash into one another again, one way or another. If we're lucky, it'll just be a glancing bounce.

Honestly, far as Drake figures (and i agree) they were going to do that anyway, what with the Reclamation and everything. Only difference is that Heaven now knows it should look down and keep an eye out for the collision trajectory :smalltongue:.

Recaiden
2011-03-24, 08:47 AM
At the moment, I'm waiting for Leliel to post about Beheris and the place they're to be arriving at.

You're right that they'll clash again, but keeping an eye on them isn't as easy as it sounds.

Tavar
2011-03-24, 03:49 PM
Leliel, I think you're supposed to take use to the house(introducing the demon), and then over to the cults hideout...

Recaiden
2011-03-24, 04:01 PM
That was the idea. It's your demon familiar and your hideout, I feel that you should introduce them, as you have the best conception of them.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-25, 03:45 PM
Orchid clearly pays less attention than he thinks he does to Malfean happenings even in Creation. But Melodies has already mentioned this, and he can't exactly make use of the two extra dice worth of Perception if he doesn't even try properly...
Speaking of that, it seems that these dialogues are the self-applied evidence of those dice. It would be interesting to consider an Orchid who had no Coadjutor, or whose Coadjutor was incapable of providing insight and conversation. Having a demon in his head has probably ended up as a good influence (as far as possible Orchids who didn't get killed for failing to serve the Reclamation properly at all. So at least an influence for stability.)

That internal dialogue got off track, but it seems smooth enough. I can only imagine how very unhappy Drake would be if he could know about the last parts of it.

Certainly, having a voice in your head to give a proper vow to is a powerful thing for the Yozis, although they would probably like a more specific 'I will slavishly serve the Reclamation as you desire' as opposed to the comparatively vague desire Orchid is devoted to. (He may have a Willpower of 10, but his Conviction is still only 2, after all.)

(Throwing in my prod to Leliel get us to Beheris and then to the cult! Long posts are okay, but I'd like to get/keep this moving! :smalltongue:)

Drascin
2011-03-25, 04:16 PM
That internal dialogue got off track, but it seems smooth enough. I can only imagine how very unhappy Drake would be if he could know about the last parts of it.

He's actually kind of figured. Orchid's not been too subtle about it. It's just that Drake honestly believes it's more due to a web of Yozi lies playing off his compassion than anything else - given all he's read about the Primordials, it's hard for Drake to understand the idea that anyone would want someone like Malfeas so much as anywhere near a world they have to live in, without having been the object some serious manipulation, misdirection, delusion, or all of the above :smalltongue:. And far as he's concerned, webs of lies can be untangled. After all, he's both high Compassion and sourly idealistic :smallwink:.

In any case, response to Nazri tomorrow morning. Been having kind of a hellish week, sorry.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-25, 05:41 PM
Well, good on Drake. I was expecting him to only get as far as a (possibly unofficial, but that doesn't matter much to Orchid) promise backed up by Willpower 10 and not to make the necessary connections in full.*

And no, Orchid does not do subtle all that well. Especially since whenever he tries he tends to space out noticeably as he prepares to do it (I don't do that so much, what with having less to hide usually and a lack of shoulder demons to consult at length, but Orchid has both those things.)

*Or rather, to make the connections but be slightly less able to back them up. I do have some faith in Drake's ability to spot things, after all. :smalltongue:

Drascin
2011-03-25, 06:23 PM
Well, good on Drake. I was expecting him to only get as far as a (possibly unofficial, but that doesn't matter much to Orchid) promise backed up by Willpower 10 and not to make the necessary connections in full.*

And no, Orchid does not do subtle all that well. Especially since whenever he tries he tends to space out noticeably as he prepares to do it (I don't do that so much, what with having less to hide usually and a lack of shoulder demons to consult at length, but Orchid has both those things.)

*Or rather, to make the connections but be slightly less able to back them up. I do have some faith in Drake's ability to spot things, after all. :smalltongue:

Well, yeah, he's not able to back his guesses with proof. Hell, it's nothing more than a good hunch, based on how Orchid talks, and he has no idea on the exact details - just that Orchid seems to have a certain belief towards some kind of "redeeming" the Yozis, and that freeing them the "hard" way doesn't seem on the cards after his comment on the Reclamation back when they met. He has no exact idea about vows and such, just general ideas and attitudes - but he's based on me, and I tend to trust my gut when it comes to people (this ends well more times than it ends badly, but is nowhere near perfect, sadly). And, well, you're right that Orchid seems to do "subtle" about as well as Drake himself - and as we've seen already, Drake may well be the absolute least subtle Sidereal ever :smallredface:.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-25, 06:53 PM
the absolute least subtle Sidereal ever :smallredface:.

There was that whole Usurpation business, but Drake's been making a good try, and it involves less need for magic memory retcons, so it might stick too.

EDIT: I feel I have a responsibility to keep including 'Leliel you need to post lots right now' here.

Leliel
2011-03-26, 11:48 PM
There was that whole Usurpation business, but Drake's been making a good try, and it involves less need for magic memory retcons, so it might stick too.

EDIT: I feel I have a responsibility to keep including 'Leliel you need to post lots right now' here.

On it, thank you.

Tavar
2011-03-27, 12:04 AM
Um...you know you're supposed to post to take us to the townhouse to pick up the demon, then to the cultist headquarter.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-27, 12:42 AM
I will find a way to seriously annoy you over this, Leliel. I will.

If that doesn't sound threatening, then you clearly need greater imagination, or expect to post a lot more before I get around to it so that it never arrives.

Leliel
2011-03-27, 11:57 PM
I will find a way to seriously annoy you over this, Leliel. I will.

If that doesn't sound threatening, then you clearly need greater imagination, or expect to post a lot more before I get around to it so that it never arrives.

...Huh?

I got as much, but I thought there was supposed to be an ST post showing us arriving at the townhouse.

Tavar
2011-03-28, 12:04 AM
The assumption is that we're going to make it to the townhouse without incident, and thus we can narrate anything that happens. Thus, hopefully, saving time.

Recaiden
2011-03-28, 08:55 AM
...Huh?

I got as much, but I thought there was supposed to be an ST post showing us arriving at the townhouse.

No, that's what my previous two posts were communicating. You post the arrival at the townhouse.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-28, 10:16 AM
...Huh?

Don't know if it'll be clearer than the previous posts, but I figure more ways of saying can't hurt:
You are currently narrating, not the ST.

Recaiden
2011-03-28, 10:20 AM
Rather than asking you about the townhouse and the demon, I'm just having you post it yourself.

Perhaps it was a bad idea.

Tavar
2011-03-28, 10:35 AM
Decent idea, especially since it would streamline scenes, saving time. But somehow the communications didn't go smoothly.

Leliel
2011-03-28, 03:36 PM
No, they didn't.

Leliel
2011-03-28, 03:57 PM
All right, narration is in, as well as putting out the fact that Beheris is still rather self-willed, though I don't know if I should take off the motes for the Charm during a prologue.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-28, 05:53 PM
... Other two? Did I miss something, or don't we have three? I thought we had Onyx, Amelia, and Pyrus?

Leliel
2011-03-28, 06:50 PM
... Other two? Did I miss something, or don't we have three? I thought we had Onyx, Amelia, and Pyrus?

The first, mainly.

He knows Pyrus because he's been crashing at his house. Kind of hard to not notice the landlord, and it was too self-evident to mention to his BFF.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-28, 09:42 PM
Are you done narrating? Because we don't appear to be anywhere near our original destination, so you will need to actually specify. Yes? No?

Leliel
2011-03-28, 10:28 PM
Are you done narrating? Because we don't appear to be anywhere near our original destination, so you will need to actually specify. Yes? No?

Ooh!

No, we aren't. And yes, I am done after I make that little note on where we are.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-29, 11:26 AM
It occurs to me that I ought to roll my reflexive Perception+Awareness for anyone in line-of-sight of the tent. Won't catch as many people, but then again, I might get lucky if they're in range.

Perception (3+2) + Awareness (0)
[roll0] Net successes, 1. Well. It's... a success.

Well, the next post I do might be a bit of a big deal to some.
I know that we've already done the 'yeah, we can maybe work together', but Orchid is convinced that it's moved from 'handy allies' to 'circle of need-to-know people' if he doesn't want more confusion that hurts everyone and helps nobody. Also, we never made the teamwork thing official.

However, since he can't just tell you the intimate details of The Reclamation, Urges, Torment, Acts of Villainy, how Green Sun Princes are made and how they fit into Malfean politics, there's also some stuff to agree to. Hence, I actually have the next post written up already - I'm putting it here because I want to make sure that this is all good out-of-character before I drop this into in-character decisions.

This is meant to be a chance to note errors, problems, and potential plot tangles - such as that fourth agreement. He's not saying it's a pacifists-only club, but he is saying 'We're not going to write plans that involve killing people.'

"I think that at this point, to keep misunderstandings down, you may be need-to-know for a lot of details about what we are. Maybe not all of them, but then I've decided that secrets are probably going to hurt more than they help."

What? Wait... No, you are right. This will come out later, and if we make them agree now they'll want to keep it a secret themselves. But really, Orchid...

"Before I'm even going to ask my friend here if that's alright, though, I need you to agree to a few things. I think three... No, four."

Orchid breathes out, and in, closing his eyes. For some reason, it's easier to speak that way, tone perfectly even and fingertips together in an almost meditative pose, as he lists off information that only the Exalted are likely to hear with such absolute certainty.

"First, we're going to rule Gem with the Despot. He's been running his city better than any other I've heard of, in a time of universal war. What he's doing works, and I'm not fixing it unless it breaks."
"Second, you're going to have to accept some demons. They're not all bad, and I won't make you hug and play nice. If you don't like it, I can keep it minimal, but they'll be useful and fairly loyal, so I'd be a bit disappointed."
"Third, we're going to be rivals with the Realm. I don't want to go to war with anyone, but I will be forced to challenge them - and they'll have to improve or fail. Improving is better. You, by the way, do not count as the Realm if you're going to join me - I doubt they'd want you back." The last sentence is directed to Pyrus specifically.
"The fourth is a little different. I don't want us to kill people for convenience or suspicion. I'm not even sure I want us to kill at all; and if you're skeptical, look at what nearly happened from going in guns ready, and what we gained from just asking carefully. Our powers were made to be weapons... But also to give us choices. Maybe we'll have to subdue people, but I don't think we have to choose killing."

Orchid lets out a breath, opens his eyes, and leans back against the support of the tent, lightly. It's stable enough, but he doesn't put his full weight on it.

"I want to change the world. I think we can change the world. So I say, let's change the world."

Internal Dialogue
You didn't mention that they'd be helping you free the Yozis.

Primordials.

Primordials.

Yes, that's part of the need-to-know, and it's far enough in the future that even if we have to part ways over that, they'll need this before we get there. By the time it comes up they'll have found out piecemeal.

I disagree. We need to ensure their loyalty as a whole, not just until they decide to betray us.

Alright. Once they've made their decision on this, I'll ask them about the Primordials. I guess you're right that they might be less happy if they know that someday, they'll want to oppose my plans instead of be a part of them. But one step at a time.

Oh, and there are probably going to be some fireworks with Drake gets back. I figure if we don't kill anyone or such we're more likely to get through heavenly intervention with our freedom and a modicum of privacy intact. I thought about that after I wrote up the post, however, so it clearly wasn't my first goal in this.

The Internal Dialogue explains why the Reclamation isn't in this post; it's because Orchid wasn't sure whether to include it as a condition. Melodies is very sure, however, and makes good points, so it'll be in a sort of gray area between 'agree to this' and 'I will give you this information'.

LauWren
2011-03-29, 09:32 PM
I see no tangles that leap out at me, and you look in-character. Thumbs up from me, if that's all you're looking for.

Also, on a more personal note: I will be lacking in internet connection Thursday through Monday, and would not be entirely surprised if I pretty much just passed out most of Tuesday. Sorry, I'll try to log in if I get my hands on a machine.

Leliel
2011-03-29, 11:04 PM
That looks okay to me. A bit naive, but Raziel's one to speak-he worships the ground Szoreny's Third Circles walk on.

And lets face it-he's best friends with his Demonic Familiar. He's not going to object to demons, but he will want to be the liasion to the West, since that's where he thought he was supposed to be assigned.

Tavar
2011-03-30, 12:32 AM
There might be some things that need to be discussed, but those can happen IC just fine.

Also, mental note; get the few Int charms Lunars have, pronto.

Drascin
2011-03-30, 12:55 AM
Oh, and there are probably going to be some fireworks with Drake gets back. I figure if we don't kill anyone or such we're more likely to get through heavenly intervention with our freedom and a modicum of privacy intact. I thought about that after I wrote up the post, however, so it clearly wasn't my first goal in this.

Well, Drake would have probably accepted those terms without much trouble (the "opposing the Realm" would be the only thing that would give him pause, really - because there's after all a whole lot of people in the Realm, most of which aren't to blame for a thing). But yes, there is likely to be some friction on the matter of Heaven implication, it seems...

As for me, I've had my next post almost ready for days, but I never seem to get around to posting it because I'm not satisfied with it but can't put my finger on why.

Leliel
2011-03-30, 08:29 AM
Just so you know-I'm inviting someone else to make the roll to recall/post their recollection first.

Recaiden
2011-03-30, 09:17 AM
The post looks good to me.

And Laurel's eyes, while green, were not unnaturally so. I don't believe I specified that detail.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-30, 12:01 PM
The post looks good to me.

And Laurel's eyes, while green, were not unnaturally so. I don't believe I specified that detail.

Green eyes, in other words, not Chejop Kejak type Sidereal-green eyes. Yes?

Also, the post has been posted, with a short note on what Orchid thinks of the duplicate's honesty and our chances for working with Laurel peacefully added to the front, and a couple extremely minor edits for reasons of flow.

Recaiden
2011-03-30, 01:22 PM
Green eyes, in other words, not Chejop Kejak type Sidereal-green eyes. Yes?

Also, the post has been posted, with a short note on what Orchid thinks of the duplicate's honesty and our chances for working with Laurel peacefully added to the front, and a couple extremely minor edits for reasons of flow.

Correct. Normal human green. Not Sidereal Green or Soul-Refracting Shadow Prism Green.

aetherialDawn
2011-03-30, 02:05 PM
My reactions to Drascin's new post, done while reading.

Well, as far as what Drake's been saying has gone... I hadn't quite realized what it might have looked like to an outside observer as far as how Orchid and Raziel reacted, especially evaluating them as sort of an 'Infernals, first impression' alongside Laurel.

It occurs to me that She Who Lives in Her Name would not appreciate a mind control war (were she not a hypocritical sociopathic creator demon) because fighting fire with fire would just be too chaotic.
She'd probably be in favor of making 'people' who have no minds to control though, in a sort of 'can't have your free will tinkered with if it's not there' sort of way.

I like 'shattering paradigms like it's going out of style'. It's a fun phrase.
I do think that there's going to be problems with the fact that the information is filtered through... the Ebon Dragon. But at least Drake's gotten enough information to Heaven that they know there's something to investigate. Because just as Drake has realized, nobody said it isn't misinformation meant to drive a wedge between Gold and Bronze. Another good reason to tell Nazri.

Pretty good for a speech without an outline. Two speeches, really; the "We have dangerous stuff" speech and then the "We have crazy dangerous confusing stuff" speech for those who haven't already imploded from hearing the first.

And oh, what new details Drake will have when he finds out that he could be in the need-to-know group!
Not that Orchid is going to be quite so forthcoming to someone leading heavenly reinforcements, but Drake knows how to give a good first impression, and finding evidence that the history lesson on the Primordial War as given to Green Sun Princes was written by the Ebon Dragon and not Elloge would go a long, long ways towards make him less distrustful of Heaven.

EDIT: Oh, and if it wasn't clear I didn't see any problems with the post. Nazri may feel otherwise...

EDIT 2: At first I thought this would be a 'just type and don't edit, it'll flow naturally'. Turns out, nope, the Yozis are just so bad that even having prepared a little for this it's really, really hard to like them or find enough positive things to say to make a proper little speech.
This does not bode well for Orchid's goals, but he's got Willpower 10, he can take it. If this would be a little disturbingly driven to any of the characters hearing it, that's exactly as it should be.
Scratch that. Leliel, stop bringing up objections which are uncounterable due to scale*, now I actually have to wait for Drascin. :smalltongue:

*MASSIVE HYPOCRISY on my part, by the way, so actually, you just keep on doing that. Maybe a little less. Hopefully Drake will be back soon and we can have even more contentious debates!

Orchid is very devoted to his motivation, but even typing a 'failed' post has made me reconsider it. Discovering the truths of Creation is important, but I suppose I have to admit that 'Restore the Primordial Rulers of Creation' - at least the way he sees it - is so much higher that I've already been debating if I should chop off the other bits of his Motivation. The rest of it would really just be Orchid being Orchid, not Orchid seeking his life's goal... So at this point, I would like to go through with it and reduce his motivation to 'Restore the Primordial Rulers of Creation' - Is that alright? (Question directed at Recaiden.)
It's not really a reduction, since two of the things I'm cutting are just modifiers to the part I plan to keep which are already encompassed in Compassion 4, and Discovering the Truths of Creation is just what curious Defilers do.

I may be unavailable to some degree until April 5th. I have internet access, I can post, I just won't be able to do as much. Big, big essay.

Leliel
2011-04-02, 02:28 PM
I really have nothing to say right now.

If anyone else wants to post, do so.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-02, 03:42 PM
If I get a reaction from Pyrus, then I can post quite a bit. If not, then I'll see what happens.

Recaiden
2011-04-02, 04:20 PM
Your refinement of motivation is well-reasoned, liked, and accepted. Don't make a habit of it.

Still working on how Nazri should react, how suspicious he should be, and typing it up.

Drascin
2011-04-02, 04:36 PM
Your refinement of motivation is well-reasoned, liked, and accepted. Don't make a habit of it.

Still working on how Nazri should react, how suspicious he should be, and typing it up.

Well, I'm half-expecting him to be wondering if Drake got duped and dismissing the information as too likely to be fake. Drake has a reputation for being fair and honest, but it is believable that he could be being fooled.

Of course, I personally think he raised some decent, believable points. But then, he's based on me, so of course I would think that, they're very similar to the points I'd raise! :smalltongue:

aetherialDawn
2011-04-02, 08:44 PM
I think that Nazri responded pretty well to all the points; he's very much in favor of safety, whether that's politically appropriate or not. And since he's in charge of helping to keep the world safe, that's a good thing. It's his job to get the most good at the least risk for the world as a whole, not for up-to-50 Infernals who are 95+% Bad People.

It's also nice that he stands by the choices he thinks are right, and changes the choices once he thinks they're wrong. (Even if, as an at-risk Infernal, it'd be more convenient if he mysteriously went with Drake on every decision.)

Tavar
2011-04-02, 09:10 PM
Wait. A reasonable authority figure? What the Hell. This is exalted. I...I just don't think my suspension of disbelief can take this.:smalltongue:

Also, maybe this will finally get Lytek to talk about the flaw.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-03, 01:29 PM
Juuuuuust awaiting Pyrus/Rhyvurg.

Tavar
2011-04-04, 01:47 PM
Umm...are we talking in English, or some other language. I should remind everyone that English is our only shared language, and that so far I don't think many natural inhabitants of creation know it. Unless Leliel taught the demon the language.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-04, 02:32 PM
Umm...are we talking in English, or some other language. I should remind everyone that English is our only shared language, and that so far I don't think many natural inhabitants of creation know it. Unless Leliel taught the demon the language.

At this point, I would assume that we're speaking in English some of the time, and confusing the heck out of Beheris (You can't actually remove the Hell from a demon) all of the time.

I kind of like being able to just use <English Marks> or No English Marks to denote English versus Flametongue, but not everyone seems to be into that.

Leliel
2011-04-04, 10:28 PM
Raziel predominantly uses Low Realm. No Flametongue.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-04, 10:48 PM
I'm not totally sure anyone else knows Low Realm. The whole languages thing is quite annoying. Maybe I should just get the Swirly charm and lock everyone in the city to speaking Old Realm...

Tavar
2011-04-04, 11:02 PM
Not everyone does knows Low Realm. Perhaps speaking in English, our only common language, would be a good idea.

Leliel
2011-04-05, 07:48 PM
Not everyone does knows Low Realm. Perhaps speaking in English, our only common language, would be a good idea.

Probably good, except Beheris doesn't know it.

Except...

Let's just say he's been translating into Flametongue as a force of habit. He knows his master doesn't know the lingo, so he repeats most of the conversation in it.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-05, 10:36 PM
It is more likely that we translate for Beheris than that Beheris be trusted by our non-infernals (and the slightly suspicious Orchid) to translate for Raziel, but otherwise 'just translate for the last person' sounds good. I just would prefer the last person be Beheris.

Leliel
2011-04-05, 10:43 PM
It is more likely that we translate for Beheris than that Beheris be trusted by our non-infernals (and the slightly suspicious Orchid) to translate for Raziel, but otherwise 'just translate for the last person' sounds good. I just would prefer the last person be Beheris.

Sure.

I'll edit the posts.

Tavar
2011-04-07, 09:57 PM
Hm...do we have a concise description of Drake? Also, I'm pretty sure that the destiny was specifically crafted so that it was basically him as a minstrel, so that others would remember him at least slightly.

Also, what next?

Drascin
2011-04-08, 04:04 AM
Yes, that's correct - the Resplendent only made a couple changes. Mostly, hiding the starry eyes (most people whould have seen them as normal brown), and adding a certain indescribable subtle amusingness to his general appearance. The idea was, after all, to be a fool that nobody would take too seriously. That was the whole point of the gaudy outfit, outrageous hat, and general fabulosity :smalltongue:.

Also, I will be unlikely to be able to post until Monday afternoon. I'm swamped with uni work and approaching boiling point. I just could post this because it'd been waiting in a notepad for days, really.

Leliel
2011-04-09, 12:11 AM
Oh, okay.

Never mind.

On the plus side, I've also found a new Sidereal Limit Track idea, in case Drascin doesn't mind the random "Really Good Ideas (At The Time)".

Here it is. (http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=43494)

Why is this random?

For starters, it has an "ST on the go" random generator, which leads to situations like...well the story further down.

What is that story?:

"I appreciate your aid, my friend."

"Of course. We are a Fellowship."

"Oh, absolutely. But I wouldn't trust just anyone to help with this--this is BIG."

"I...see that, I think. Steps, if I may, ask..."

"Ah. Allow me to anticipate your questions, Shadow. You want to know:

'Why did I search the Loom for a particular Solar shard's next Exaltation, and then reveal that secret to the Eye and Seven Despairs?'
'Why did I crash a party thrown by the god of the Linowan, and why did I spike the host's drink with quick-acting Mercury Ant venom?'
'Why did I paint a detailed mural depicting the Immaculate Dragons being cockslapped by the Unconquered Sun on the walls of the Wyld Hunt's new Chapter House?'
'Why am I clearly preparing to summon a Neomah? Why are you here, ready to cast Door of the Dead? And how does this Dreamstone of Barry Whitejade ballads factor in?'

...those are your questions, am I correct, Reckoner?"

"Those, yes. Those, and why you have a pot-helm full of Celestial Cocaine in the center of this room."

"All mysteries are resolved with but a single sentence, Black Ice Shadow, for Fate itself has come to me for succor! Strengthened by a unique regimen of resistance in the face of frequent mystical attempts to suborn my mind, I have been granted a vision of That Which Must Come To Pass! I shall save CREATION!"

"That's three sentences, Steps."

"And so we add one more! For, speaking as One Who Knows, in order to redeem an Age..."

"Five sentences, now; this is why your reports always take you a week to finish, even under the House of the Key."

"...Peleps Deled must have a child with Golden-Eyed Jorst, the birth must take place inside Cold House, and it all must happen before nightfall."

"WHAT"

"Ties everything up pretty neatly, eh?"

"...I-- I don't even..."

"Now you, too, know What Must Be!"

*sighs* "...and the Celestial Cocaine?"

"Oh, I have that because I loooove Celestial Cocaine."

"Ah. Steps, this... This sort of thing might be why Kejak has become so teary, of late."

"I think serving Samsara deserves a little reward, eh, Shadow? *Fiend Wracking Snort* BOOYAKA! Hey, sounds like the Hunt's arrived! Might as well introduce the Pinnacle to Jorst, and that means it's WINGMAN TIME, BABY! Go! Go! Go! Go!" *leaps out window towards fight, Plasma-Tongues blazing*

*stares for a long moment at his Soulsteel short daiklaives* "It's not worth the audit, it's not worth the audit, it's not worth the audit..."

aetherialDawn
2011-04-09, 12:53 AM
So I've been reading up on that Sidereal limit alternative stuff. At first I was like 'This seems unnecessary. I mean, I didn't really get sidereal limit before, but they already have Paradox to deal with and oh my goodness. This is awesome.' And then it continued to be awesome. It makes much more sense than the whole 'Sidereals did the Usurpation just because it was big, so their Limit drove them to make big changes to destiny, so they ALL picked THIS big change' - it's a rationalization. Rational, but ultimately hollow when any choice there would have been big. It wasn't limit, it was consensus.

But this? It's the Great Curse. If the Neverborn could - and they might have this ability - it probably manipulates things to screw over the Solars and other Exalted. And eventually, everyone. Lots of Sidereals equals lots of limit equals lots of confusion, and Kejak had his vision of the Usurpation. Everyone else got out of theirs, but his stuck, and they were still 'well, SOMETHING needs to happen, I got that much out of the visions' and it makes a little bit more sense.

Also, it gives Drake a chance to suddenly really, really want to see Gem get blown up at some point. That's some good and unpredictable* drama there.

*If it were predictable, then I wouldn't care about seeing it happen so much, because I would know what would most likely happen. This way I have to see it or else it's just a muddle of what-ifs! And it's Exalted, so it WILL be awesome.

Leliel
2011-04-09, 06:08 PM
I just remembered something.

Beheris is an aalu.

Which means he's blind.

He can smell a Sidereal well enough, but we've just spent a scene describing things he's never even known personally.

Recaiden
2011-04-09, 06:20 PM
I just remembered something.

Beheris is an aalu.

Which means he's blind.

He can smell a Sidereal well enough, but we've just spent a scene describing things he's never even known personally.

:smalltongue:

Well, along with the Sidereal Limit, which is in fact amazing, I think that's a great serving of comedy. I'll need to introduce some drama, or tragic consequences perhaps.

Tavar
2011-04-09, 06:48 PM
Well, either the other lunar or myself could change shape and wait for him at Pyrus's place. Well, assuming I don't just forget who I'm waiting for; Arcane fate and all.

Actually, are we going to get hit by that soon?

Recaiden
2011-04-09, 07:25 PM
Now that he's out of sight ( and really, I think you already should have, I jsut didn't think of it ) yes. Drascin will have to get the details for you, but I believe it's a Wits + integrity roll to remember them, at difficulty ?

aetherialDawn
2011-04-09, 10:46 PM
Right, where are the stats for the Aalu?

Also, Raziel and Orchid are immune to Arcane Fate, and I believe aware of its existence. We could probably help with constant reminders, but... Orchid at least is not in favor of being the first one to meet anyone from Heaven. It's not healthy for a GSP.

Also, I'm working on a big exposition post - mostly figuring out what you need to know, and editing it to avoid just running on and on. It'll be ready when we need it, most likely.

Drascin
2011-04-10, 02:40 AM
Now that he's out of sight ( and really, I think you already should have, I jsut didn't think of it ) yes. Drascin will have to get the details for you, but I believe it's a Wits + integrity roll to remember them, at difficulty ?

No, actually. They just saw "Sparrow", and Resplendent Destinies can be remembered without Arcane fate interfering. I didn't actually drop it until nobody else awas looking at me.

This means that technically I could walk up to Pyrus without the RD and he'd not recognize me, granted, but they will remember Sparrow well enough. It's the whole point of Resplendent Destinies, after all.

As for the limit thing... well, it's very amusing, and great for Sidereal comedy and "best plan ever!" NPC antics, but it's also kind of really disruptive, and having to deal with randomly turning stupid for a whole story (most limits last a scene, or a day!) on top of having a high chance of dying or getting tossed out of the game for weeks every time I use Astrology... I'm ambivalent, here.

Leliel
2011-04-10, 08:24 AM
Actually, it's also suggested that the ST simply thinks it up most of the time, sans random roller.

For the NPCs, yes they can have the Dice Roll o' Destiny.

For Drake? Well, Recaiden himself thinks of a new, non-disabling way to screw you over plot hook you.

Recaiden
2011-04-10, 09:30 AM
His point is the best. It makes for a very harsh limit break. I know I always thought the other ones are too light, how could they have much effect on the destabilization of the world if the Exalted actually cared? They clearly didn't.

Right now, there are the impending forces of Hell and a plot to take over the city of Gem to deal with. In one way, that's a great place to have limit screwing with you, but in another, it's terrible. And one would have to have more UMI and morally conflicting situations, too.:smallsigh:

aetherialDawn
2011-04-10, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. I think that the 'too harsh' point is the best. It is limit as it should be, plot-wise - it's a serious matter, the Great Curse, something that will screw over the entire world by twisting its champions. But I failed the test I SHOULD have run, which is: Would this actually work as a set of rules?

Well, I feel silly. It's a great idea, but I forgot to check if it worked, and it looks like the best I can give it there is a 'maybe'.

Drascin
2011-04-10, 11:15 AM
Actually, if you read it, it straight up says the hubristic destiny never should be a total screwup - always should bring at least a little benefit, however unexpected or sideways.

No, the problem is another. Or rather, two other things. One, it lasts like hell - a full story is going to be what, half a year in RL time? At the least? Most limits just take choice out of your hands for a short while, but this would force me to spend months working towards something I don't actually want instead of towards the story's point. And second, the reason Sidereals have the least severe Limit is because they also have Pattern Spider Bite to deal with, which has a nontrivial chance of literally sending you out of the campaign for weeks (yay, falling into a coma for weeks!) or outright killing you as a punishment for actually using your powers. Piling another mechanic that increases the chances of getting screwed out of playing the story is something I'm a bit leery towards, I hope you understand.

Recaiden
2011-04-10, 11:31 AM
Of course. You do have Paradox to deal with. I wasn't seriously planning to add this. As AetherialDawn said, it is a good idea, but not one that's easily workable for PCs.

Leliel
2011-04-10, 10:52 PM
Good point.

I was only suggesting it. If you don't want it, it's your character. You have veto powers here.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-11, 07:50 AM
A checklist for the exposition that Orchid is going to have once Drake is finally back, for the whole group.

-The mechanics of his Urge - doesn't have to seek it, per-se, but he can't refuse it when it's available.
-The mechanics of Torment.
-What Acts of Villainy are for.
-How Green Sun Princes fit into Malfean politics (Basically, 'I'll have to go back at least once a year, there are a lot of resources for us there if we want them, and I'm not beholden to any particular demons')
-The Great Curse, to Orchid's knowledge

Is there anything else that someone really wants to know about Infernals? I do think it's important that everyone is aware of
'I am literally forced to oppose the Realm, and if I don't contagious bad things happen, but I can stave it off by emulating the Yozis, which is going to look a little villainous, but the important thing is praising and emulating them, not finding innocents to murder or something. Also, your Exaltation carries a sort of curse which would very much like to drive you insane, but at least none of you are Solars.'

If that's all, then I should be ready when we're all back together, with a minimum of useless text, which means I can move on at last.

Recaiden
2011-04-13, 04:24 PM
Sorry to be slow, college has been heavier than normal recently.

What sort of communications is Drake expecting? I recall there being some instant communication artifacts once upon a time, but I don't think Nazri would have them, and I doubt they would work between dimensions.
Are there charms to that effect in the Sidereal tree? I find none for the Solars.
He has used prayers to send messages, and with a god to help, that could work in one direction.

As for support, there are certainly mortals in the city who act at times as Nazri's pawns, and some extra elementals could likely be gotten to help out. If I recall correctly, Sidereals can requisition a fair amount of resources from Heaven (with the proper paperwork, of course), and they have a Salary for most Mundane material needs.

Tavar
2011-04-13, 06:06 PM
There are a couple spells that would work. Not sure about anything else.

Well, not entirely true. Dragonblooded have a charm that can do long distance communication as well.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-13, 11:10 PM
I suspect that the best way, until some better Sorcery can be arranged, is to set up a box of short messages for each of you (Nazri, Drake) that the other checks once per day with Efficient Secretary Technique. If you keep it simple enough, then it might be able to return as a miscellaneous action without bothering anyone, but otherwise you could use the long version by reading out a full document to the spider. Plus side, two motes on a charm that is very simple. Minus side, it requires a physical document and, if you have enough to say, someone to actually answer the spider, changing it from e-mail functionality to telephone functionality. Also, of course, you need to be available at a specific time of day, every day.

If that doesn't work (Probably because the spider isn't smart enough to count the documents in the box as a 'personal library' but considers the information too complex to be able to retrieve alone) then a swift elemental courier might work. Of course, that's open to interception and inconvenient summonings.

Drascin
2011-04-14, 12:58 AM
Sorry to be slow, college has been heavier than normal recently.

What sort of communications is Drake expecting? I recall there being some instant communication artifacts once upon a time, but I don't think Nazri would have them, and I doubt they would work between dimensions.
Are there charms to that effect in the Sidereal tree? I find none for the Solars.
He has used prayers to send messages, and with a god to help, that could work in one direction.

As for support, there are certainly mortals in the city who act at times as Nazri's pawns, and some extra elementals could likely be gotten to help out. If I recall correctly, Sidereals can requisition a fair amount of resources from Heaven (with the proper paperwork, of course), and they have a Salary for most Mundane material needs.

For communications, there are a few communication artifacts that work through, yes, gods. And given some moonslver tablets exist which change their text if their matched pair does, I figured someone must have made some quick messaging artifact sometime during the whole history of Creation - and if anyone has one, would be the vaults of Yu-Shan. Failing that, a couple gods that can be trusted (harsh request, I know) stationed in a way they can be contacted through prayer and who can contact each of them in minutes (the quick contact is rather important - we'd need gods that are willing to stay on hand. Because having an urgent prayer of "Mostgloriouspaperpushinggodofheaven praisedbythyname OHGODDUDESOMEONELETLIGIEROUTPLEASESENDHELP!" met with said contact god being sleeping a hangover from celestial cocaine at the moment would be... bad).

Basically, as he sees it, many times Drake won't have the liberty to go for the Gates to inform Nazri of something before that something comes to pass. And not being completely sure of himself, he'd rather have the ability to check with a superior whose judgement he mostly trusts. I mean, it will probably happen at least once that he forgets and just acts impulsively, but on average, he'd rather have a second opinion about the potential ramifications before, say, us punching the Perfect in the face or starting a proyect likely to divert a hundred dragonlines :smalltongue:.

As for requisitioning, that's what Drake is doing right now, only he's having to do it through unofficial channels, ie, begging his superior personally and undignifiedly :smalltongue:. Because, thing is, requisitioning through the official channels requires a lot of paperwork normally, and a dossier on the mission in question - but, well, can't exactly fill out the paperwork for this mission with the truth. So Drake is basically asking Nazri to assign some resources to him personally , to sidestep the whole "So why do you need such an amount of resources and access to so many of our pawns in the city for such a simple assignment, again?" questioning part involved in filling the forms.

Because, somehow, I don't think "Reason of Requisition: Making sure Infernal deathknights do not bring Hell onto Creation" is going to look very good on paper :smallwink:

Recaiden
2011-04-17, 12:17 PM
Because, somehow, I don't think "Reason of Requisition: Making sure Infernal deathknights do not bring Hell onto Creation" is going to look very good on paper :smallwink:

Well, it might convey that sense of urgency that would get the paperwork done quickly.

And yes, Tavar, you have plenty of personal essence for he change. 6 motes left after it, if I've done my math correctly.
Also, please make a perception+awareness check.

Tavar
2011-04-17, 12:34 PM
Oh, right, we're underground. Should've done the cat, then. Oh well.

Percep+Awareness:[roll0]

aetherialDawn
2011-04-17, 01:45 PM
"The two" refers to Drake/Sparrow as well as Wing, yes?

Recaiden
2011-04-17, 01:45 PM
You're aware of several people watching you curiously, as people are wont to do about a bird underground or indoors, but if it's anything other than that, you don't see it.

No, two refers to Wing and Beheris.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-17, 01:49 PM
Ah, this makes more sense... And is very interesting, because if Beheris feels watched, that means the watcher can see dematerialized demons. Making it a *supernatural* tail... Or a paranoid demon, always possible.

Rhyvurg
2011-04-18, 02:00 AM
Yes, I'm still here, Pyrus just doesn't have a lot to contribute to a conversation about demons.

Leliel
2011-04-18, 06:44 PM
Posting may-ie will-be slowed, thanks to incentive of Windows Security XP-or as I perfer to call it, "****ING BLACKMAIL!"

This is my Mom's computer while the IT guy gives that stupid "blocked for your safety message a long, slow death fixes the problem.

Drascin
2011-04-19, 05:13 AM
Now I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum :smalltongue:.

IC, Drake doesn't know that everyone is waiting for him. What he had intended to do is go get the backup disguise and hat from his home (yes, he has backups. If you have to ask why he gets three of every disguise he orders, you've not been paying attention :smalltongue:) and find a tailor to order a replacement, find Ishi-ko to apologize for the scare (both a hug and a chewing out are likely), tell her it was a false alarm, and inform her he'll be going for a bit of an involved mission nonetheless. Additionally, after last post, memorizing this portfolio and locking it in a marked box (so Efficient Secretary Technique can retrieve information from it while keeping it out of a certain Adorjani's reach). Then go to the Loom and find Pyrus's thread to send him a message and find out how everything went before heading down.

OOC, however, I know that everyone in the game is waiting for me to come down to continue - and even though it'd just be a couple hours in-game, it'd take a long while out-of-game at our posting pace, so I should hurry.

Tavar
2011-04-19, 09:48 AM
You could probably do all of that with one post. I mean, none of that consists of actions you're likely to fail, right?

Recaiden
2011-04-19, 10:45 AM
He makes a good point.

As it is in my and the game's interest to get you back with the other players, I'm not likely to interrupt or bring in a lot of spare interaction. You can just say that you lock things up in a box, or read them, or pick them up.

If another player had the hat, or if it had been stolen by the Ebon Dragon or mysteriously vanished, that would be one thing, but it's your hat, in your house, and if something had happened to it I would have told you. You can just write a sentence or two about Drake picking up his hat, and it happens.

You could, I think, make a single narrative post covering everything up to examining the loom. (And possibly even that).

Recaiden
2011-04-19, 11:27 AM
Two hours have gone by.

Mysterious First Roll[roll0]+1
Mysterious Second Roll[roll1]
Mysterious Third Roll[roll2]
Mysterious Fourth Roll[roll3]
Mysterious Fifth Roll[roll4]
Mysterious Sixth Roll[roll5]

Drascin
2011-04-19, 12:19 PM
Alright, then. Starting to write post right now.

And, like Aetherial did for his inner-head-conversations, I have to ask - are people interested at all in the interactions between Drake the NPCs, such as his majordomo (comes with the Salary, like the bigass house. Not kidding. I'm supposed to have like a dozen personal servitors) and then Ishi-Ko, or do I just gloss over it all completely?

aetherialDawn
2011-04-19, 01:08 PM
If it doesn't get in the way, then I'm all for it. I use spoiler tags so that I can both be aware of 'Okay, what actually happened?' and then see 'Okay, and what was going on with Melodies?' since sometimes, I don't care to read the whole inner dialogue again.

Tavar
2011-04-19, 02:33 PM
Good, that refils my motes quite a bit. Possibly more, if we've been going 1/2 effort.

Also, what did you mean by bad luck with all the ones? Unless I get no successes, they're no worse than any other number below 7.

Recaiden
2011-04-19, 02:50 PM
Good, that refils my motes quite a bit. Possibly more, if we've been going 1/2 effort.

Also, what did you mean by bad luck with all the ones? Unless I get no successes, they're no worse than any other number below 7.

We have not been going 1/2 effort.

Also, it means I'm forgetting which system this is and while it made now difference this time, thank you for reminding me that a one is not a negative success.

Sorry.

Drascin
2011-04-19, 04:26 PM
Argh, got co-opted by family in the middle of writing, until now. Sorry for making you all wait like that, tired as hell, will finish this half post tomorrow morning :smallsigh:.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-19, 06:56 PM
Argh, got co-opted by family in the middle of writing, until now. Sorry for making you all wait like that, tired as hell, will finish this half post tomorrow morning :smallsigh:.

...Says the person who has already been moving events forward perhaps most quickly of any of us. Don't worry about it, and it certainly doesn't feel like I'm being made to wait.

EDIT: I forgot that Gem is a place of Desolation... there are so many people living there, but they need to gather water from elsewhere or with magic. And of course, they're dependent upon the Lap for food - Gem could barely support a mining town with its current food on its own.

Interesting.

Drascin
2011-04-21, 03:07 PM
...Says the person who has already been moving events forward perhaps most quickly of any of us. Don't worry about it, and it certainly doesn't feel like I'm being made to wait.

Still, that's just because since I've been working a bit alone each of my posts covers a lot of ground - I still post a hell of a lot less than I should.

Anyway, finally got around to finishing and posting something. Not pleased with how it came out, but I refuse to wait any longer.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-21, 04:26 PM
Still, that's just because since I've been working a bit alone each of my posts covers a lot of ground - I still post a hell of a lot less than I should.

It is my firm opinion that you are selling yourself short. If you wish to feel that way, then it's entirely your choice, but I still think you've been doing well.

As for the post...
I think Drake would do a great job at the Bureau! Just imagine how much paperwork would end up 'received but lost' once the job is over. And how much more support Sidereals in the field could have from someone who can actually teach them how to use a magical cell phone properly.

I am very, very glad that Laurel won't be getting this information. She doesn't seem to be in favor of leaving spies alive - and probably any contact on that list counts as a 'spy' to her...

I am amused by the image of punching a wall and having it say 'ow.'

Also... Hooray. Pyrus gets one small scroll to explain everything to Sparrow/Drake.
At least there is the short, reasonable explanation of 'We only found a fake Laurel' - trying to cram all the 'We got drawn into a debate on how, when, and if we should kill Laurel at all (despite her previous murder/s)' would be hard!

EDIT: So... what language does Raziel use with the cult?

Recaiden
2011-04-23, 04:02 PM
I liked the post. And I do think the moments with NPCs and lesser characters in the spoilers should continue to occur. You judge a man by how he treats his lessers, not his fellow Exalted. :smalltongue:

Tavar, no further rolls are necessary. If there's anything you'd like to do or say while waiting...

And if Pyrus could answer, as this technically happens just before the arrival at the cult hideout, that would be quite helpful.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-24, 03:18 PM
No, really, I need to know what language the cult speaks.
What do I understand? What do they understand?

Recaiden
2011-04-24, 03:46 PM
No, really, I need to know what language the cult speaks.
What do I understand? What do they understand?

Not Flametongue, and not English. Low Realm, perhaps?

@V: I had just remembered and edited this post. Sorry for the temporary mistake.

Tavar
2011-04-24, 03:56 PM
Except Raziel doesn't speak Flametongue....

Leliel
2011-04-24, 09:38 PM
Yeah, Low Realm.

He's trying to teach them Old Realm, but that's the way things are.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-24, 09:47 PM
Old Realm: The language of the Yozis. The holy tongue.
Low Realm: The language which is actually easy to learn.

Tavar
2011-04-24, 10:01 PM
Low Realm: The language which is actually easy to learn.

Also, a language actually in common usage in parts of Creation. Old realm is pretty much reserved for occultists and the like.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-24, 11:32 PM
Also, a language actually in common usage in parts of Creation. Old realm is pretty much reserved for occultists and the like.

True. And don't forget that, due to the influence of the Realm, it's a trade language for Gem, so nearly everyone likely knows a little bit, and many people know quite a lot.
Still, Flametongue would be better, but what can you do when the people who assign your initial placements are insane creator-demons?

Drascin
2011-04-25, 03:45 AM
Good to hear people liked the dialogues. I tried to make Ishi-Ko and Drake's similarities yet different viewpoints visible enough in that little dialogue piece, I wasn't sure if I succeeded.

And about languages, yeah, it's a serious hassle. Though I wouldn't call Old Realm a holy tongue - it's just what was spoken in the first age, and now the language of scholars and occultists. Kind of Exalted's Latin, so to speak :smallbiggrin:.

By the way, talking about the game advancing and such, something came to me - I think I never asked Recaiden what the game's policy on XP is? I mean, normally in Exalted one gives four-five XP per session, but in PbP there aren't sessions, so I wonder how we'll do here. Bigger chunks given after ending each story? Maybe per downtime?

I mean, we all have big projects that are a good distance away from our current power level, but it's been... let me check the game's begnning date... wow, four months already? Seriously? Man, time flies. Anyway, my point was, long time and no XP on sight yet, at this rate it's going to be a couple years before we can actually get to work on building infrastructures and stuff, that kind of thing tends to require Essence 3-4 at the least.

Recaiden
2011-04-25, 09:58 AM
I was thinking, given the slower nature of PbP, that experience might be given out a bit more quickly in terms of the story movement. But maybe not.

The plan was, in fact, to be giving larger chunks of experience at the end of each story/downtime. I believe after Drake returns from Heaven and the scene with the cult ends would be the first such point.
In the future, I'll give out any xp for especially good posts/rp/stunts at the time, but here any such will be factored into the amount given at the first ending point.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-25, 10:59 AM
Excellent. I'm not too bothered about XP in the short term (We have enough to offer the Despot to have some use of Gem's resources, which will kind of even out any lack of individual power for a while to come, used carefully) but in the long term it does make me happy to know what to expect.

Leliel
2011-04-25, 02:35 PM
I'm fine with that.

Recaiden
2011-04-26, 11:45 AM
Rhyvurg, do you plan to have Pyrus answer the scroll, or at least post that he missed/ignored it?

aetherialDawn
2011-04-26, 03:57 PM
Pyrus could claim to be more of an ally, with the addition that once you break ties with the Realm, you are a refugee for as long as you can manage to avoid being a corpse.

Leliel
2011-04-26, 07:51 PM
Pyrus could claim to be more of an ally, with the addition that once you break ties with the Realm, you are a refugee for as long as you can manage to avoid being a corpse.

Never mind, I answered it for him.

Enough of an organized crime problem around Gem that there needed to be a definiton for "person on a hit-list".

aetherialDawn
2011-04-27, 01:12 AM
Never mind, I answered it for him.

Enough of an organized crime problem around Gem that there needed to be a definiton for "person on a hit-list".

For the first, he still hasn't answered, or acknowledged, the mysterious box of Fate-messaging.

For the second, there really ought to be a simple term for that... Not as bad as Nexus, at least. No, Gem has _despotic_ capitalism.

EDIT: No, seriously, Rhyvurg. I don't want to continue until that fate-message is responded to, we're already as far as we can reasonably get before it gets awkward to respond to it - and if we don't respond to it, that delays the reforming of the group.

Leliel
2011-04-29, 03:40 PM
Doesn't it.

Waiting...waiting...

Drascin
2011-04-30, 04:37 PM
Well, felt like I should warn you guys - my computer just went poof. I have no idea what happened - it just turned off and refuses to turn on. So I might be a bit late to answer, since I need to ask for my parents' computer every time I want to check.

I know we can't continue until Rhyvurg can post, but, felt I should mention just in case.

aetherialDawn
2011-04-30, 09:18 PM
Thanks for letting us know - and I hope it's something that can be fixed easily once it's figured out! Good luck.

Rhyvurg
2011-05-01, 05:05 AM
Sorry guys, tech issues kept me offline for most of a week.

Recaiden
2011-05-01, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear that Rhyvurg. Glad that you're back now.

Oh no! Poor Drascin's computer. I hope that it's something you can fix. And the slowness is understood. I'll try not to set a lot of pacekeeping upon you.

Leliel
2011-05-02, 01:36 PM
Oh, okay.

That's good to know.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-02, 02:17 PM
Sorry guys, tech issues kept me offline for most of a week.

Welcome back!

Drascin
2011-05-05, 03:15 PM
Well, computer back to working order, more or less. Seems to get a bit more temperature, though, but it does work, which is the important matter.

Now to post - lots of games to catch up on!

Tavar
2011-05-05, 04:06 PM
Let's see if I remember Drake, or just Sparrow; 5 dice, with a -3 internal penalty. I need 1 success.
[roll0]

Okay; I remember him. Cool. Only need, what, 2 more and I just remember him.

Drascin
2011-05-05, 04:17 PM
Let's see if I remember Drake, or just Sparrow; 6 dice, with a -3 internal penalty. I need 1 success.

Okay; I remember him. Cool. Only need, what, 2 more and I just remember him.

I thought that required actually ever seeing the Drake under Sparrow? There's nothing really to forget, because Sparrow is plenty rememberable and only the Infernals actually saw Drake (because they can't actually see resplendent Destinies). Unless you used Perception to pierce the disguise back then and I didn't notice? (in which case, I need to roll a die to see if I get Paradox)

Tavar
2011-05-05, 04:21 PM
Then am I essentially labeling Sparrow as Sidereal? Or would I have forgotten only about those parts?

aetherialDawn
2011-05-05, 09:51 PM
I thought that required actually ever seeing the Drake under Sparrow? There's nothing really to forget, because Sparrow is plenty rememberable and only the Infernals actually saw Drake (because they can't actually see resplendent Destinies). Unless you used Perception to pierce the disguise back then and I didn't notice? (in which case, I need to roll a die to see if I get Paradox)

Actually, I think Infernals DO see Resplendent Destinies - But our Unwoven Coadjutors do not, and so we can choose to see or not see at will. Which also means that if your Unwoven Coadjutor sees someone differently from you, you know it's a Sidereal.

Not that Drake knows that yet, but oh will he get a shock when he finds out that versus the Green Sun Princes, a Resplendent Destiny is a marker instead of a disguise...

Or am I remembering wrongly?

Recaiden
2011-05-05, 11:18 PM
Then am I essentially labeling Sparrow as Sidereal? Or would I have forgotten only about those parts?

Isn't this kind of what RDs are for? You never gaze on the actual Sidereal within unless you have magic fateless-demon-sight. If he didn't have the destiny, you would have forgotten him, or if he had dropped the effect.

Tavar
2011-05-06, 12:09 AM
True, though I was wondering if everything he did/say was effected. After all, he admitted who he was, and did some other magic.

Not that it matters for my post; I only referenced his RD.

Drascin
2011-05-06, 04:39 PM

Yep, pretty much - the point is, in making sure you label Sparrow as Sidereal and hear everything he said while in a Destiny, he makes sure nobody forgets what he said, because Resplendent Destinies can be remembered no problem while un-Destiny'd Sidereals are a hassle to remember.

Not only that, making it standard strategy is also meant to be an escape valve - if things go pear-shaped with someone you've met in a Resplendent Destiny, just ditch them, shuck the destiny and wear another, and they'll be hard-pressed to find you.

Again, yes, Drake lives in continuous low-level paranoia :smalltongue:.

Actually, I think Infernals DO see Resplendent Destinies - But our Unwoven Coadjutors do not, and so we can choose to see or not see at will. Which also means that if your Unwoven Coadjutor sees someone differently from you, you know it's a Sidereal.

Not that Drake knows that yet, but oh will he get a shock when he finds out that versus the Green Sun Princes, a Resplendent Destiny is a marker instead of a disguise...

Or am I remembering wrongly?

Anyone who is immune to the Arcane Fate at all (ie, outside of Fate) always sees a Sidereal as himself, no matter how many Destinies he wraps himself in. For anyone immune, Resplendent Destinies might as well not exist. So if the whole Infernal and not just the Coadjutor is Outside Fate (I imagine they are, but I'm unfamiliar with Infernals), the Infernals are probably going to be surprised if people mention they see Sparrow as having brown eyes, because they only see the official blue ones that Drake got with the Exaltation, for example :smalltongue:. That kind of thing is why his Destiny is very alike to his real self - excessive differences if someone noticed might call attention.

Recaiden
2011-05-06, 05:05 PM
Infernals are, in fact, outside of fate. And no, nothing happened on the way back.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-06, 05:22 PM
Not only that, making it standard strategy is also meant to be an escape valve - if things go pear-shaped with someone you've met in a Resplendent Destiny, just ditch them, shuck the destiny and wear another, and they'll be hard-pressed to find you.

Anyone who is immune to the Arcane Fate at all (ie, outside of Fate) always sees a Sidereal as himself, no matter how many Destinies he wraps himself in. For anyone immune, Resplendent Destinies might as well not exist.

For the first... don't forget that if things go absolutely terrible, memories of the Resplendent Destiny disappear when you dissolve the destiny. It's a bit annoying to lose your work, but if you just need to wipe the slate clean...

As for the second, I'm pretty sure Infernals get called out as capable of seeing either Resplendent or Not-Resplendent, unique among outside-fate-creatures. I'll take a look.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't mention a thing. My mistake.

Rhyvurg
2011-05-07, 01:10 AM
Just throwing this out there, sort of a half-formed game idea. It would be right after the Usurpation, like a week after. Players would be Solar ghosts who decide to stick around in the Underworld and fight the nephwracks and such. It would use FA chargen rules, but due to the place in the timeline there's no such thing as Infernals or Abyssals.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-07, 10:39 PM
Ehhh... It doesn't seem that interesting, honestly. Very hack and slash, I suppose, but that doesn't hugely interest me. Exalted combat is less interesting when it's very clear-cut that you should be fighting (and yeah, ghosts need killing and lots of it at that point in the timeline.)

EDIT: I approve as a player of having Drake clued in to what Orchid was talking about. Despite the whole 'My base stereotype of sidereals is puppetmaster assassin and I will be accordingly cautious' he's really thinking more about being able to better rant to a representative of Heaven. This is better... And means less exposition later! Often a good thing.

Recaiden
2011-05-10, 08:48 AM
Leliel, is this the sort of cult where the members have normal lives and are cultist in afterhours, or do they live at the hideout working the will of the Yozis full-time? I imagine there is a mix of the two, but which does it favor?

Tavar
2011-05-10, 11:56 AM
What crustacean did you mean in your IC post?

Also, how are they getting one, so far from bodies of water?

Recaiden
2011-05-10, 12:21 PM
The chalcothete mentioned 4 posts back, while Wing was waiting. The kid was chasing after it then, and it specifically appeared to be a metallic crustacean, not a normal one. How one got here, so far from Kimbery, is also a valid question, but there are any number of highly reasonable answers that don't involve a demonic conspiracy.
It is one of several elements that are purposefully out of place in the background. :smallwink:

aetherialDawn
2011-05-10, 06:38 PM
A note on dematerialized Demons! Some demons still display some trait while dematerialized - Ermanthoi, being practically material even when immaterial, are particularly noticeable, but I seem to recall it applying to certain others too.

I assume that the Immaculate Order would have a great big book of 'Signs that there may be a ghostly demon around!' but if Beheris has such a thing he could tell you and let you follow that.

Drascin
2011-05-12, 07:38 AM
The chalcothete mentioned 4 posts back, while Wing was waiting. The kid was chasing after it then, and it specifically appeared to be a metallic crustacean, not a normal one. How one got here, so far from Kimbery, is also a valid question, but there are any number of highly reasonable answers that don't involve a demonic conspiracy.
It is one of several elements that are purposefully out of place in the background. :smallwink:

It seems I'm going to need to scan the posts even in scenes where I'm not there, then.

And doing so, it appears one of these guys had my old hat and then has lost it somehow, and has ran away like hell on seeing me while carrying an unknown demon. Yeah, there's totally no way that is an ominous thing :smalltongue:. Man, I knew I should have burned the whole thing, but it felt too paranoid and narative-breaking. Anyway, Tavar, Onyx is the only one who can actually notice, since he saw both the crab and the teen before, while Drake just arrived.

Or wait, is the one who ran away with the demon the little girl, and the hatstealer is still there? It's a bit confusingly worded.

Either way, I'm going to assume twin 5s in Lore and Occult mean Drake knows what a chalcothete is? Which if so gives him an advantage, because other than what I have deduced from what you said (demon from Kimbery) I have no idea :smalltongue:.

Tavar
2011-05-12, 08:26 AM
I think the hat-stealer is still there, I think. The girl is running away, but you would have seen her as well.

Recaiden
2011-05-12, 12:01 PM
The hat-stealer is still there.

The girl is in fact running away.

A chalcothete is a sort of 0th Circle Demon that is actually descended from The Silent Wind. Demjen (who are merpeople and thus live in Kimberian places) sing chalcothetes to life, so they're generally in the same place.
It's a giant (3 feet) crustacean made of some metal (Malfean Brass) and this one looks shiny and new. They don't sing, and they don't usually have any powers that a lobster of equal size would lack.

In the future, I will try to explain what you would need to notice about a place that was posted while you were not there. Sorry. I can't think clearly down here. :smalltongue:

aetherialDawn
2011-05-12, 01:35 PM
I had not previously heard of '0th Circle' demons, and I am interested as to what role they play, or used to play, that required their creation. Hunting dogs lobsters for the merpeople?

Recaiden
2011-05-12, 01:47 PM
To clarify, 0th Circle is not actually a thing; I'm just calling them that, because they are (mostly) generic and interchangeable creatures created by 1st circle demons.

It varies by the demjen that created them, but some are soldiers, some help with the metalworking, some are just pets, etc. Some probably are hunting dogs.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-12, 06:50 PM
0th circle seems appropriate. They are, like 1st circle demons, created and help with tasks. They are also a step below 1st circle demons, hence 0th circle.

And they are associated with demons descended from Adorjan. Now who do we know who probably has a lot to do with Adorjan and summons demons?

As far as what we can get from the knowledge of 'there are probably Demjen around'... Demjen tend to prefer humid places, so they're not a standard thing to summon into a desert. They also move metal with their songs, and of course, if you like metal lobsters they can make you extra minions. They also are descended from one of Adorjan's souls that is closest to what Adorjan was as Adrian, though that may or may not be important.

All interesting though!

Leliel
2011-05-13, 11:11 AM
Sorry I haven't been able to post.

The router at my house is shot, and so is one of the computers at the office.

It took days to find the password to this one.

Recaiden
2011-05-13, 11:34 AM
Technology failures are not your fault. I'm glad you were able to find some working way to get online for yourself.

Now, given that we were discussing dematerialized demons showing themselves and that the demon is there to lead the two Exalted to the hideout, were you going to put something to that effect in the post, or were you waiting for their response to this information that Beheris has provided first?

aetherialDawn
2011-05-15, 01:43 PM
Welcome back, Leliel!

Leliel
2011-05-22, 06:32 PM
Just so you know, Kendik seems to be an ST character, so I'm going to wait for Recaiden.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-26, 08:17 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what Raziel most recently said as of this post. 'He' refers to Orchid or Drake or Pyrus? Who was going to go Cobra Commander?... Also what the heck does going Cobra Commander mean? (I may well ask that question in IC as well.)

Tavar
2011-05-26, 08:56 PM
Not sure about the first set of questions, but for the latter... You never watched G.I.Joe as a child? For SHAME! Cobra Commander was the over-the-top leader of the evil terrorist organization(back when terrorists weren't taken seriously).

aetherialDawn
2011-05-26, 11:55 PM
I was only aware that Cobra Commander was an over-the-top terrorist leader from G.I. Joe. I just don't know what it MEANS here.

Tavar
2011-05-27, 12:17 AM
Ah. Yeah, that last post...I got nothing. Maybe Raz got hit with a bit of Hegra's Rain?

Recaiden
2011-05-27, 04:11 PM
I was only aware that Cobra Commander was an over-the-top terrorist leader from G.I. Joe. I just don't know what it MEANS here.

I do not understand it either. Something about villainous monologues maybe?

Leliel
2011-05-27, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what Raziel most recently said as of this post. 'He' refers to Orchid or Drake or Pyrus? Who was going to go Cobra Commander?... Also what the heck does going Cobra Commander mean? (I may well ask that question in IC as well.)

Orchid, mainly.

And I was referring to C.C.'s incompetence. It's a generic insult, not a scathing bit of sarcasm.

I could have easily put Dr. Drakken for the same effect.

Tavar
2011-05-27, 10:33 PM
I'm still not sure what that has to do with the situation at hand. But maybe I misread some of the previous posts.

Leliel
2011-05-28, 01:15 PM
I'm still not sure what that has to do with the situation at hand. But maybe I misread some of the previous posts.

Okay.

Keep in mind Raziel thinks the First Age Solars were Evil, with a capital E. Not something I come to easily, mind you.

Taking over Gem covertly and turning it into a puppet state sounds like something they would do out of boredom. He just wants to make sure the scheming doesn't get out of hand and we end up the Council of Dark Lords.

Recaiden
2011-05-28, 02:13 PM
Aren't you supposed to be the Council of Dark Lords (And Lady)?

Also, time to hand out all the experience accumulated so far.
Once I figure out how much that should be.

Drascin
2011-05-28, 02:26 PM
Aren't you supposed to be the Council of Dark Lords (And Lady)?

That's just the Infernals. We Sids are not Dark Lords, we're the Ominous Conspiracy :smalltongue:.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-28, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry, but when all that anyone can remember of you is 'mysterious figures in shadow who control the world' you may need to get used to being thought of as Dark Lords.

Heck, Infernals would prefer light. Lots of light. Ligier is a little disdainful of this 'night' thing Creation has going.

Tavar
2011-05-28, 03:51 PM
Dark Lords would be more oppressive and always present. Sidereals really don't qualify for either of those.

Drascin
2011-05-28, 04:06 PM
Indeed. A Dark Lord is a figure like Darth Vader - a guy who is present, powerful, everyone knows of, and everyone is scared ****less of.

Sids are more a conspiracy, or a shadow secret police.

Recaiden
2011-05-28, 04:53 PM
Okay. And I suppose the Lunars should be leading a barbarian horde rather than be Dark Lord types. But still.

Leliel
2011-05-28, 05:19 PM
Okay, the High Council of the Illuminati, if we're going to assume we remain a conspiracy.

Given we're mostly composed of Infernals and Lunars, that seems unlikely.

Recaiden
2011-05-28, 06:26 PM
Have some Experience, wonderful players.

Participation over Time: 50 Each
Story: 10 Each
Additional Awards:
Pyrus: 5
Amelia: 3
Orchid: 6
Wing: 2
Drake: 8
Raziel: 5

Log all protests here:
Tavar - Additional Awards Appear Arbitrary.
Rhyvurg - Additional Awards too low compared to actions.

Tavar
2011-05-28, 07:05 PM
Is their a rhyme or reason for the extra awards?

Recaiden
2011-05-28, 07:15 PM
Yes, there is. It's based on what strikes me as creative, especially good roleplay, especially well-written, or particularly contributory to the story.
I apologize if I have not given your character in particular a fair share of opportunity, but I do not particularly feel that it has been so.

Rhyvurg
2011-05-28, 08:47 PM
I just get 5 for threatening an Infernal to her face?

Tavar
2011-05-28, 10:26 PM
It hasn't helped that out of two major discussion, I've been locked out due to other crap that needs done.

Of course, at some point I should try and meet my Contact in Gem. Try and figure out what's going on.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-29, 12:23 AM
Drake: 8

Not a complaint, but I support at least this award. I don't think I can accurately call the others, I'm good with mine, and I at least suspect that you've called it well.

I do agree that Onyx Wing has been locked out by circumstances, and that's a situation that we should act to fix... Finding his contact would be a step in the right direction. The Guild is one of the few economic forces that can oppose the Realm - Lookshy claims only military force.

Considering that Gem is currently dependent on the Realm's trade to survive, we need something. Unfortunately, I think I can safely say that Orchid does not agree ICly with what I can admit OOCly on that point...

I have gained: 66 Experience.
I would, for now, like to keep most of that in reserve - I'm sure that other people have plans, and there's a good chance I can help with those. Besides, we don't have training time yet.

However, I would like to spend 16 XP on raising my Essence to 3, since that is immediate and going to be important regardless. I can wait for that to take effect until a dramatically appropriate moment. I'll change my sheet appropriately right now for simplicity. But Orchid will certainly be thinking about power - and knowing that Laurel has more of it so far, and that that worries him...

Drascin
2011-05-29, 01:32 AM
68 XP? Nice!

Yeah, going Essence 3 seems the most urgent thing. So that's 20 XP (thank you extra experience, the sid XP table is harsh). Then, I'd have to think what to get with the rest... it'd be nice to get some Performance Charms if the next two Charms in the tree and actually did anything you couldn't do easier (Song of Spirit Persuasion costs a wp and requires a social roll to succeed to build a single intimacy... which is something you can already do if you can overcome their mental defenses! Ice and Fire Binding has an extremely harsh difficulty roll to summonan Elemental and bind it for one month to a very particular task... or at the same essence you could learn Sorcery and Summon Elemental to bind one to any task with a lot more ease. When Terrestrial Sorcery is flat-out better than a Celestial charm at the Charm's whole point, something has gone wrong somewhere, and either the Charm shouldn't exist at all or should be improved). Freaking Sidereal Charmset :smallsigh:. I do know I'll probably get the Form of Throne Shadow, because free coordinated attacks every few ticks is a nice advantage.

By the way, Aether, about that inner conversation - I imagine you should know, if Orchid even suggests Akumahood he's going to get punched in the face. Even forgetting the fact that Yozis are a bunch of crazy bastards, Drake's kind of big on free will :smalltongue:.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-29, 01:46 PM
I think that if Orchid ever suggests Akumahood, then something weird has happened and he deserves to get punched in the face too.

('It's okay if it's Szoreny' is neither a good reason nor even true.)

Leliel
2011-05-29, 05:01 PM
Essence 3 it is. I need that Sorcery, possibly with Verdant Emptiness Endowment.

And yes, even Raziel would agree that an akuma of any kind is out the window. He might consider it with Szoreny, but the fact of the matter is that an akuma has had their personhood surgically removed; the only reason he would agree is to get the Silver Forest's approval.

Rhyvurg
2011-05-29, 07:52 PM
Honestly I don't know what I'm going to spend mine on. Probably War charms.

Tavar
2011-05-29, 09:07 PM
Hmm... Essence 3 is definitely a major goal.

Um, hey, how about we give a bit of a summary of what we can tutor each other in. For example, I can tutor Dexterity, Perception, and Wits pretty well. For abilities, Survival, Martial Arts, Awareness, Larceny, and stealth are all pretty good(4+).

As for charms, I have a smattering of Lunar charms, and a couple ones from Snake Style.

For charms... does Limb Shielding Growth from Ink Monkeys count as armor for the purposes of martial arts?

Also, would From Pain, Progress (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196830), in the Lunar spoiler be allowed? I'll post it again in the following spoiler;
From Pain, Progress
Cost: (2m + 1lhl) per dot of resources, Mins: Stamina 2, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: Obvious
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: None

The Lunar reaches for her shoulder, shrugging her robes just off of it, and the skin writhes. Something white projects, a handle. And then a blade, sharp as glass.

The Lunar whips the bone blade from her shoulder, a spray of blood flicking from it, and points it at her target.

A Lunar with this charm can grow their bones into items and weapons, at cost of essence and health. Although they are nowhere near as badly injured as they appear, it is highly painful and even fatal, if they try to create something they cannot.
This charm costs two motes and deals one lethal level of damage for each dot of resources created, with a minimum cost of one lethal level of damage. Living creatures cannot be created, and neither can liquids or anything edible. You cannot create any item larger than your own body.
At essence Five, you can ignore the size limitation.

For example, if this charm is used to create one item worth two dots of resources, and three items of one dot, it will cost them ten motes and deal them five levels of damage.
They may not create more dots of resources then their essence with a single use of this charm.

In addition, any Exalted with both this charm and a charm that allows them to store items elsewhere may remove any item made of his bones that he stored elsewhere as if only just creating it. This has no in-game effect, but could be used as part of a stunt to intimidate.
(It also means that you can create items in advance, and dramatically form them from your bones when needed without suffering damage in combat.)

Recaiden
2011-05-29, 10:34 PM
Hmm... Essence 3 is definitely a major goal.

Um, hey, how about we give a bit of a summary of what we can tutor each other in. For example, I can tutor Dexterity, Perception, and Wits pretty well. For abilities, Survival, Martial Arts, Awareness, Larceny, and stealth are all pretty good(4+).

As for charms, I have a smattering of Lunar charms, and a couple ones from Snake Style.

For charms... does Limb Shielding Growth from Ink Monkeys count as armor for the purposes of martial arts?

Not armor unless I see that it's too powerful.

And that charm is definitely allowed. I love bone-related Lunar charms.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-30, 04:10 AM
My wishlist for charms was going to involve more Infernal ones... But frankly, there's a lot to be said for Sorcery. A lot. Some of it will be better the sooner I get it, some I can put off, but I've got two choices for my Sorcerous Initiation, two spells I absolutely want myself soon, one that a non-Infernal needs to learn, and then seven more that I'd like to see.

Sorcerous Initiation would be that of the Principle of Hierarchy - by default, regrettably. Unless, that is, I can design one for Szoreny. The main problem is that the idea I've gotten stuck on is lowering the costs of charms to copy/modify, which someday will include the headache-inducer Imbue Amalgam. I want that spell, it's a great spell, but I don't want to abuse that spell and it's already easy to abuse.

The two spells I will absolutely learn are:
Slave-Spawn Summons (Summoning demons. This spell is essentially as flexible as most of the rest of the Terrestrial Circle put together.)
Emerald Countermagic (It is the basic terrestrial spell. If Slave-Spawn Summons is as flexible in use as the rest of the Terrestrial Circle, then countermagic is its mirror, allowing me to undo almost anything of the Terrestrial Circle.)

The spell that a non-Infernal needs to learn is:
Water from Stone (This spell will give us enormous leverage against the Despot - canonically, he pays obscene amounts for it. But we may have some trouble if the spell comes out looking obviously hellish.)

The seven spells I may want to someday have (or see on someone else's list) are:
Commanding Presence of Fire (I forsee someday wishing to make a social attack on an entire city or army. This enables and enhances that, besides being awesome.)
Silent Words of Dreams and Nightmares (Secretly make social attacks from a great distance that the target cannot spend willpower to resist. Very nice.)
Shadow Peacock Eyes (The horrible, wonderful lovechild of the Jedi Mind Trick and Lelouch vi Britannia's Geass power. It's extremely obvious to everyone but the target, but against a single person it could give options.)
Incantation of Spiritual Discretion and Private Plaza of Downcast Eyes (This pair of spells will ward a large area against immaterial and magical intrusion for us.)
Infallible Messenger (Much like the cell phone idea, but in spell form and with the ability to send a message across the world in a day.)
Ritual of Elemental Empowerment (In 12 hours I can turn a mundane item into a magical one.)

Leliel
2011-05-30, 04:31 PM
Er, have to hiatus for a bit.

GED is coming up tomorrow and it lasts three days.

Have to study.

Tavar
2011-05-30, 06:58 PM
Hmm. Somewhat annoying in that Essence Three would take 2 months to reach. Especially since, going by the rules, that's 3 months where I can't do anything significant. Guess I'll focus on charms, abilities, and attributes for now.

Recaiden
2011-05-30, 07:04 PM

Have to study.

Good luck. I wish you well, and completely understand. Diploma scale testing is extremely important.

Hmm. Somewhat annoying in that Essence Three would take 2 months to reach. Especially since, going by the rules, that's 3 months where I can't do anything significant. Guess I'll focus on charms, abilities, and attributes for now.

Essence 3 has a training time of Immediate in the core book, and I don't see anything in MoEP:L that contradicts that.

Plus, you guys aren't mortals. You're Exalted heroes! I think reducing training times to more playable levels might be implemented. Don't let the length of time hold you back.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-30, 09:38 PM
It would be fairly inconvenient to let Laurel do as she pleases for two or three months, yes... Though we could still continue investigations by those who have immediate training times, or deal with Laurel first. Of course, if you're willing to be in debt to Raziel if he ever turns on us, training times will soon become very fast indeed for those pesky attributes, abilities, and specialties.

I believe that the MoEP:L does not specify the (immediate) training time for Essence to 3, and so all essence falls under the training times.

If you'd like, I did some research on homebrew solutions, and the one I most like is the ability to spend willpower to spontaneously develop charms and combos. Perhaps (Essence) willpower points to train Essence immediately in a dramatic situation, and the 2wp they suggested for dramatically appropriate charms? A place to start, anyway.

I'll work on that Sorcerous Initiation of Szoreny.

Have to study.

Good luck!

Tavar
2011-05-30, 09:55 PM
Okay then. Let's get this list written up. Still not entirely firm, though.

18 xp for essence 3
12 xp From Pain, Progress
10 xp Snake Form
10 xp Theiving Magpie Prana
Total:50 xp

Not sure what to get for the rest. Probably buff my Abilities and attributes. Through, before I do, a questions. Does anyone have Social combat charms yet? If not, would putting some effort in that direction be a good idea for me?

aetherialDawn
2011-05-30, 11:24 PM
I suspect that we might have some complaints about Infernal social charms, although the Szoreny 'I'm five points prettier than the prettiest person here' would probably be acceptable, and I have favored Performance. Generally, Infernal Social Combat charms are either defensive or obvious (Sorcery is also obvious.)

Speaking of Szoreny, besides the already-noted problems that his Sorcerous Enlightenment might cause, I had somehow forgotten that I would need to purchase his First Excellency, which is an enormous waste for now. So, it looks like I shall indeed take the Sorcerous Enlightenment of She Who Lives in Her Name; it is easy for me to work the mind-magics, and hard for me to blow stuff up. If I want to blow stuff up, I'll just need to build an Essence Cannon.

Tavar
2011-05-30, 11:27 PM
That's probably good for other reasons, as well. After all, if anything could be used to blow up Gem, it will be. It's in the rulebook, I swear.

Also, I'm kinda regretting taking claws of the Silver Moon, now. I'm sure it'll be useful at some point, but there are so many options available. And the lack of reactor/overdrive charms for Lunars makes me sad.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot. Lunars only have Str/Dex/Stamina and Appearance charms. Everything else is just a trick by the Sidereals/their solar mates. :smallsigh:

aetherialDawn
2011-05-30, 11:45 PM
That's probably good for other reasons, as well. After all, if anything could be used to blow up Gem, it will be. It's in the rulebook, I swear.

Also, I'm kinda regretting taking claws of the Silver Moon, now. And the lack of reactor/overdrive charms for Lunars makes me sad.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot. Lunars only have Str/Dex/Stamina and Appearance charms. Everything else is just a trick by the Sidereals/their solar mates. :smallsigh:

Gem, the city that is doomed to blow up. And surrounds itself with landmines.

As for Lunar charms... don't you have a few Wits charms? And, like, a Manipulation charm?

You're right, though, other than that. Perception and Intelligence charms? What do you speak of? Charisma? Why would I need that when I can just be prettier than you?

Tavar
2011-05-31, 12:20 AM
As for Lunar charms... don't you have a few Wits charms? And, like, a Manipulation charm?

You're right, though, other than that. Perception and Intelligence charms? What do you speak of? Charisma?
I have a Manipulation excellency. The kind of charms everything has. I also favored Manipulation, Perception, Wits, and Dexterity. Yeah, I was exaggerating for effect there, but still. There are a couple gems, but in general? The only reason I'd take most of the charms is that they're prerequisites for other charms. Plus, they don't seem to be good at manipulating people other than themselves, which is just wrong.

And wits is tricky. There are the charms leading up to Many Pocket Meditations and secure Den Prana. Of those, Theiving Magpie Prana is probably the worst of the lot, but the tree is at least flavorful, and it is pretty useful. Then Many-Armed Monkey Style, which is a decent extra action charm. Wasp Sting Blur is okay, but unless you're using it with Relentless Lunar Flury, it's a bit risky. Plus, it's in Dexterity, so I usually think of it as a Dex charm. The reaction charms are all right though. Still, none of those charms are good based on Wits. They let your other attributes do things, but on their own, in their own charm tree? Pretty lackluster.

Why would I need that when I can just be prettier than you?
Third Appearance doesn't actually do anything. Appearance isn't a static value, and thus doesn't benefit from the doubling of static values the third normally gives, and it isn't rolled, either.

Drascin
2011-05-31, 12:57 AM
Not sure what to get for the rest. Probably buff my Abilities and attributes. Through, before I do, a questions. Does anyone have Social combat charms yet? If not, would putting some effort in that direction be a good idea for me?

You guys don't want Sidereal social Charms. Trust me on this one. So no, sorry, don't have social combat stuff.

I do intend to get the Fateful Performance Excellency, though - and if a Performance attack with 13 successes doesn't go through MDVs at least, retreat is probably the best option anyway.

And yeah, Lunar mental and social trees are made of suck. Playing a No Moon is an exercise in frustration, from experience. Intelligence is particularly glaring in its uselessness - it's more or less a "wasted" favored ability.

aetherialDawn
2011-05-31, 01:53 AM
Hmm. I have read over the sidebar and the specific charms, and it looks as though the Third Appearance Excellency indeed does not apply.

The sidebar specifically says that Appearance Excellencies can be used to add to appearance to increase your DVs/decrease someone else's DVs. The First and Second Excellencies call out that they can be used to enhance unrolled attributes in that fashion, but the Third Excellency does NOT call itself out as usable on unrolled values, so it seems that it cannot be. It is true that 'Lunar excellencies' can enhance your effective attributes for unrolled tasks - specifically, the 1st and 2nd Lunar excellencies, but not the 3rd.
Learning all that was fun.

As far as social charms, I'll make sure to pick up Silent Words of Dreams and Nightmares. Social Attack that you can't spend willpower to resist, and it's only Obvious on our end. It will also deprive the Despot of any social unit he usually stays with. I probably even get the Principle of Hierarchy discount on it, since it's magic to influence someone's mind.

Auspicious First Meeting Attitude: The Despot sees Pyrus and goes 'This man looks like a guy I would like.'
There's not a lot of other Terrestrial social charms that would be convenient for us... But that one seems immensely worthwhile. It's a Fire charm, too, though it will require another dot of Presence for Pyrus to learn it.

Tavar
2011-05-31, 12:34 PM
Hmm...actually, there are a couple charms by the Demented one that might be useful. They expand on the Creating the Wolf Attitude and Feeding the Bear Progression, letting you make someone better at leading a social unit. Or making them worse, if you so desire. Still, the manipulation charms seem to be focused on defense, which just seems kinda odd to me.

Rhyvurg
2011-05-31, 11:47 PM
So...

Essence 3: 20XP
Essence 4: 30 XP
War 2: 1 XP
War 3: 4 XP
Melee 3: 4XP
Athletics 4: 6XP

aetherialDawn
2011-06-01, 01:13 AM
Training time for all of these are three days per charm, one week per spell. Plus any additional drama from Sorcery.

16 XP on Essence 2->3 (Instantaneous)

8 XP on She Who Lives in Her Name Primordial Precepts (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Charms:%28Yozi%29_Primordial_Prece pts) (If allowed)
-Thaumaturgy is weak, slow, and expensive. But She Who Lives in Her Name resonates with methodical science, which seems to fit almost all the procedures except the Art of the Dead. There are some fast and intuitive procedures, which are usually those that discover and categorize.

8 XP on Sun-Heart Furnace Soul
-Motes, and also the ability to spend one mote to gain ten once each day.

8 XP on Sorcerous Enlightenment of She Who Lives in Her Name
-Sorcery. About as expensive as Thaumaturgy - but so, so much faster and stronger. Do I get a free spell with this? And definitely, of all the charms, this will involve the most drama to learn.
9 XP on Emerald Countermagic
9 XP on Slave-Spawn Summons
Possible Free Spell on Emerald Banishment

(Yozi) Primordial Precepts
Cost: (+1wp); Mins: General 0, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: First (Yozi) Excellency
In the ancient aeons of bygone glories, the Primordials seared their will onto the foundations of existence, ordering inchoate chaos with principles and axioms, authoring the laws of the world. The Infernal may pay a point of Willpower to perform any thaumaturgical procedure whose activation roll could be enhanced by the chosen Yozi's Excellency, even if he does not know the procedure he wishes to perform. He must still possess the minimum Occult rating needed to know the procedure. For purposes of any needed calculations, he is treated as having the minimum degree needed to know the procedure. In addition, if he performs a known thaumaturgical procedure that the chosen Yozi's Excellency could enhance, he adds (Essence) bonus dice to the activation roll, without needing to pay any cost. However, if he ever attempts to perform a procedure that the Yozi's Excellency would be unable to enhance, the difficulty to do so increases by one.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-01, 01:36 AM
So...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201440

Drascin
2011-06-01, 01:39 AM
Personally, I'm mostly looking around for non-MA stuff I can take (as in, actually works and it's not worse than not having it), rather than choosing what to take among a lot of options like you guys. And there's basically no Sid homebrew around either. Ah, the joys of the Sidereal Charmset :smalltongue:.

Anyway, had to leave a post half-written at home to come to university, will post it when I'm back home.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-01, 02:47 AM
Personally, I'm mostly looking around for non-MA stuff I can take (as in, actually works and it's not worse than not having it), rather than choosing what to take among a lot of options like you guys. And there's basically no Sid homebrew around either. Ah, the joys of the Sidereal Charmset :smalltongue:.

Anyway, had to leave a post half-written at home to come to university, will post it when I'm back home.

I could make the maidens panic and unlock Greater Astrological Charms if you'd like. It wouldn't be that hard.

Tavar
2011-06-01, 09:10 AM
This is going to end up with one of those plans where we stuff the infernal into a duffel bag and try and get him into the Jade Pleasure dome, a la this (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/14p14/), isn't it?

Drascin
2011-06-01, 10:54 AM
I could make the maidens panic and unlock Greater Astrological Charms if you'd like. It wouldn't be that hard.

It would also call down half the Bureau on our heads. Plus honestly I don't know much about Greater Astrology, but I do hear it said that it is the kind of thing that causes severe universe 503 errors, and from the name I assume they're hard to get and high Essence anyway so it's not like I could actually get them for a while. So, please don't :smalltongue:

aetherialDawn
2011-06-01, 02:13 PM
I tried to look for some good Sidereal charms. Ones that don't involve throwing the Maidens into a panic or snarling the entire Loom of Fate.

Force Decision (2 Presence, 1 Essence - you qualify)
-The Despot is Essence 1. (Manipulation + Presence) against Difficulty 1, then, to force him into one choice among those he is already considering.

Of Secrets Yet Untold (3 Lore, 2 Essence - you qualify)
-Sure, you don't know when the favor will come - but you know that it will be important. A few uses will provide a good safety net, even if it is limited to gods and elementals of Earth.

Of Horrors Best Unknown (5 Lore, 3 Essence - you qualify)
-First of all, it lets you render a target very vulnerable for a scene. Set the condition to a code-phrase if you want it to be something we can activate. Second of all, if it ever becomes necessary that Orchid or Raziel be inside fate properly, rather than merely using Loom-Snarling Deception to fit in temporarily, this charm allows that. Works on things outside fate.

Mark of Exaltation (1 Occult, 1 Essence - you qualify)
-Lets you and the Unwoven Coadjutors see unmanifested spirits. It also grants you an automatic success that is not dice added from charms to Presence, Performance, Occult, Bureaucracy, or Socialize rolls that you make when dealing with gods or elementals. I wouldn't have cared so much if it wasn't a scene-long charm for 2 motes that adds a success that doesn't count against the charm dice cap. Sure, spirits will be able to see 'yup, that's a sidereal' but if you don't need to hide that then it's very powerful for its cost. Also, easier elemental binding. Be aware that Laurel's demons (and indeed, any Green Sun Prince's Coadjutor) will be able to see you as Sidereal.

Terrestrial Circle Sorcery (3 Occult, 3 Essence - you qualify)
-It's a system that isn't Martial Arts and isn't Sidereal Charms. You can invent spells, as well.
-Water From Stone: Despot needs it, so we want it, and the Infernals can't cast it unless we want to blow our cover sky-high. And I'm sure that Heaven will be just a bit happier knowing that Hell's influence over the Despot is dependent upon Sidereal co-operation.
-Summon Elemental: Nearly as good as demons and astronomically safer. Also, I have this suspicion that your supervisor Heaven would really like to be able to think 'well, he's working with demons, but they haven't gotten him to summon any yet.'

Expected Pain (3 Awareness, 2 Essence - you qualify)
-Costs quite a bit to prevent unexpected attacks, but it is far, far more flexible. You basically get Spider-Senses as long as you have Essence to spend.

Drascin
2011-06-01, 04:24 PM
I tried to look for some good Sidereal charms. Ones that don't involve throwing the Maidens into a panic or snarling the entire Loom of Fate.

Replying to ideas separately...

Force Decision: Yes, I was considering it. Having Manipulation 1 was making me uncertain, though. I have a pretty good chance of failing even a difficulty 1 roll (yes, I know the theory and how a single success should appear on three dice. But it rarely does. I have botched a few times on 15 dice, I don't exactly feel comfortable trusting three). And this will not work on anyone with an awakened essence ever.

Of Secrets Yet Untold (3 Lore, 2 Essence - you qualify): I dunno. I mean, I have like ten points in various backings and Contacts. I probably am already owed enough favors as is :smalltongue:.

Of Horrors Best Unknown (5 Lore, 3 Essence - you qualify): Yeah, not bad. Still, ten motes, ouch. Best used surreptitiously way before we start combat.

Mark of Exaltation (1 Occult, 1 Essence - you qualify) Yeh, useful, cheap, and reusable. Worth a look.

Terrestrial Circle Sorcery (3 Occult, 3 Essence - you qualify)
-It's a system that isn't Martial Arts and isn't Sidereal Charms. You can invent spells, as well.

It is also expensive as hell. I already get less bang for my XP buck than everyone except Pyrus (I may have the most assigned experience, but I will be able to get less stuff than you) here - spending 20 XP in a single spell and 10 on spells thereafter does not quite appeal, especially since non-summon spells have this tendency to only be useful maybe two times per story or so (*has played a dedicated sorcerer. Was very burned for doing so*).

Expected Pain (3 Awareness, 2 Essence - you qualify) Yes, I do intend to progress a bit in the Awareness tree.

First order of things, though, is, of course Avoidance Kata. Because it's Avoidance Kata.

Tavar
2011-06-01, 04:34 PM
I thought that Sidereals had pretty much the same XP tables that Lunars do. In fact, I know I checked how much you need to spend on Essence 3(was trying to figure out if the costs/times applied or not), and you should only have to spend 18 on it, same as me(current rating*9).

Also, perhaps we should discuss this again. What exactly are our focuses going to be? Cause, If we have several people going awareness/perception, then perhaps we can refocus, and avoid some overlap.

Drascin
2011-06-01, 04:51 PM
I thought that Sidereals had pretty much the same XP tables that Lunars do. In fact, I know I checked how much you need to spend on Essence 3(was trying to figure out if the costs/times applied or not), and you should only have to spend 18 on it, same as me(current rating*9).

My, don't I look silly now. I was misremembering the Essence thing. Still, yeah, similar XP tables to Lunars, with worse (mostly due to lack of actual functioning) Charms. I mean, I'm actually looking at a charm that adds a single success to dealing with a particular kind of being and thinking it is one of my best options, that's not a good sign on the power of other available stuff :smalltongue:

Also, perhaps we should discuss this again. What exactly are our focuses going to be? Cause, If we have several people going awareness/perception, then perhaps we can refocus, and avoid some overlap.

Drake is pretty much an information nexus. Lore, Awareness, and such, with a side dish of Martial Arts because every Sid has to get Martial arts anyway by obligation. But I think the everyone goes for Perception thing is probably due to a our situation. Laurel and her guys aren't exactly likely to play fair and stike in the middle of the open street in mid day and nbody wants to be the guy who didn't raise the Notice skill enough and gets shanked to prove a point.

Tavar
2011-06-01, 05:51 PM
True. Didn't really think of that.

Actually, I should probably buy another of the sense-enhancing charms. It's really annoying that they're actually 3 separate charms, rather than extra purchases to one charm. Same with the followup charm, as well.

You know, the more I look at my character and the rules, the more I realize how poorly made he is, from multiple design aspects. Though, the Lunar errata seems to be making quite a bit of headway, given by the noise on the official forums, so that might become less noticeable.

Recaiden
2011-06-01, 06:36 PM
So...

Essence 3: 20XP
Essence 4: 30 XP
War 2: 1 XP
War 3: 4 XP
Melee 3: 4XP
Athletics 4: 6XP

So....lots of motes to play with, lots of running and fighting to do. Do Terrestrials have a shorter training time for essence, or is that 3 months with Pyrus busy meditating on the nature of fire or what-have-you?

Training time for all of these are three days per charm, one week per spell. Plus any additional drama from Sorcery.

16 XP on Essence 2->3 (Instantaneous)

8 XP on She Who Lives in Her Name Primordial Precepts (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Charms:%28Yozi%29_Primordial_Prece pts) (If allowed)
-Thaumaturgy is weak, slow, and expensive. But She Who Lives in Her Name resonates with methodical science, which seems to fit almost all the procedures except the Art of the Dead. There are some fast and intuitive procedures, which are usually those that discover and categorize.

8 XP on Sun-Heart Furnace Soul
-Motes, and also the ability to spend one mote to gain ten once each day.

8 XP on Sorcerous Enlightenment of She Who Lives in Her Name
-Sorcery. About as expensive as Thaumaturgy - but so, so much faster and stronger. Do I get a free spell with this? And definitely, of all the charms, this will involve the most drama to learn.
9 XP on Emerald Countermagic
9 XP on Slave-Spawn Summons
Possible Free Spell on Emerald Banishment

(Yozi) Primordial Precepts
Cost: (+1wp); Mins: General 0, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: First (Yozi) Excellency
In the ancient aeons of bygone glories, the Primordials seared their will onto the foundations of existence, ordering inchoate chaos with principles and axioms, authoring the laws of the world. The Infernal may pay a point of Willpower to perform any thaumaturgical procedure whose activation roll could be enhanced by the chosen Yozi's Excellency, even if he does not know the procedure he wishes to perform. He must still possess the minimum Occult rating needed to know the procedure. For purposes of any needed calculations, he is treated as having the minimum degree needed to know the procedure. In addition, if he performs a known thaumaturgical procedure that the chosen Yozi's Excellency could enhance, he adds (Essence) bonus dice to the activation roll, without needing to pay any cost. However, if he ever attempts to perform a procedure that the Yozi's Excellency would be unable to enhance, the difficulty to do so increases by one.

Spells and again, more motes. You may take a free countermagic.

Infernals have it way too easy. :smalltongue:

aetherialDawn
2011-06-01, 07:01 PM
You may take a free countermagic.
Glee! That means that I can take all three spells I want. The one to stop magic, the one to undo demons, and the one to summon demons.

I discussed with LauWren; she's not interested in Sorcery.
Leliel, if you want Sorcery then I went back to look at Kimbery's aesthetics, and I can see the Sorcerous Enlightenment of Kimbery being fairly unobtrusive with Water From Stone - you [give] [water] to hide [ugliness*] [behind beauty] by [brokering a deal] while [keeping secrets.]
*Of the 'I'm here to represent the interests of Hell' kind, not the literal kind so much.

Every bracketed word/phrase is from her excellency, so using Water From Stone in this way would seem to resonate with her aesthetics quite well. Might taste a bit acidic, but it will be pure and drinkable.

I would be sad to not see us not able to take advantage of the fact that the Despot wants that spell, but I simply can't use it for this. (It'll be one perception+occult roll to detection if I use the spell; I'd probably turn the boulder I target to geometrically precise crystal, and then some clever Dynast will go 'oho, so you're using demonic magic from She Who Lives in Her Name, eh?')

Infernals have it way too easy. :smalltongue:

Yes, yes we do.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-01, 07:17 PM
So....lots of motes to play with, lots of running and fighting to do. Do Terrestrials have a shorter training time for essence, or is that 3 months with Pyrus busy meditating on the nature of fire or what-have-you?

Weell, Essence 3 is immediate, and so is my favored/caste ability boosts, I was just determining where his training is going so I don't forget later.

Recaiden
2011-06-01, 07:21 PM
Weell, Essence 3 is immediate, and so is my favored/caste ability boosts, I was just determining where his training is going so I don't forget later.

I mean for essence 4.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-01, 09:16 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant, I need to do the stuff to actually get Essence 4. But fire aspect meditation is easy in Gem. It's called "go outside".

aetherialDawn
2011-06-01, 10:15 PM
People might start to look at you funny if you stand in a sunny spot for three months. Might I recommend meditating each day upon the nature of Gem as a place where one fire (volcano) has been replaced by another (commerce, and if any place embodies commerce-as-fire it's Gem - people hope that they'll get that one lucky break and then suddenly flare up to glory and riches.)

But I think we have to deal with Laurel before we do more than a little bit of training.

*Deal with is not in a permanent sense; we need to at least have some ability to prevent Laurel from just tearing through the city like a random buzzsaw, however.

**Actually, getting Laurel to tutor me in Sorcery (which she probably knows; Essence 3, has demons serving her) would probably help accomplish that, since she'd be almost as busy as I would be. Is this a good idea?

Rhyvurg
2011-06-01, 10:31 PM
Kill her and make her ghost do it.

Tavar
2011-06-01, 10:32 PM
**Actually, getting Laurel to tutor me in Sorcery (which she probably knows; Essence 3, has demons serving her) would probably help accomplish that, since she'd be almost as busy as I would be. Is this a good idea?

No. And, at the moment, I'm not sure that it's even possible. She hasn't exactly been too friendly as of yet.

Recaiden
2011-06-01, 10:51 PM

Define 'good idea'. I can guarantee it is a better idea than making Drake into an Akuma, for what that's worth...

Yeah, that's what I meant, I need to do the stuff to actually get Essence 4. But fire aspect meditation is easy in Gem. It's called "go outside".

Okay. So this is just to say what you plan to spend it on, as you said.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-02, 01:26 AM
Define 'good idea'. I can guarantee it is a better idea than making Drake into an Akuma, for what that's worth...

I would probably learn Sorcery, and we would probably distract Laurel. Unfortunately, it would also probably be Adorjan's style of instruction - involving much flaying of Orchid and of anyone nearby.
And, of course, it distracts Orchid at least as much as it would distract Laurel.
And finally, I can't be sure that Laurel is as friendly as she says
(And again, even if she is that friendly, it's Adorjan friendly, the kind that you try desperately to get rid of. We already know that she's not our friend, because we don't want her kind of friendship; whether she's friendly to other GSPs doesn't matter.)

So, no, not a good idea.

We still need some plan to deal with Laurel, then... Temporarily, or some way to figure out how to do it permanently.

Tavar
2011-06-02, 10:23 AM
That's pretty much impossible at the in the immediate future. We don't know what her real plan is, nor do we have a good way to find her. What he should do, as soon as we can meet with the despot, is reveal that there's some essence user making cells in the city, with the hope to destroy it. With our help, his forces can start to look for the cells, and from there we can begin to counter her plans.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-02, 05:08 PM
I think that that's probably the best idea so far. Among other things, the Despot probably deals with rogue essence users and Yozi cults fairly often.

Which also brings up the point that if we do just try to act against him, he probably knows how to deal with us.

Tavar
2011-06-02, 05:29 PM
Which also brings up the point that if we do just try to act against him, he probably knows how to deal with us.
Hence my reaction to trying to strong arm him.

Also, Drascin, when my character goes to his contact, would yours be interested? Might be a way to start his hopeful information empire.

Leliel
2011-06-02, 05:49 PM
Hey, I'm back!

And we see a bit of Corona's dark side; her elitism and condescension against mortal rulers without Exalted or Exalted Artifacts behind them.

It's not that she dislikes them, she just happens to see them as toothless tigers-all roar, no means of enforcing it.

Also, she and Raziel are a bit naive about how clever the Despot really is, as the OOC thread indicates. To them, he's a figurehead with no real power to begin with. Hence the "diplomatic takeover" suggestion.

Tavar
2011-06-02, 06:27 PM
I don't think Wing thinks of himself as too idealistic. But, he knows a bit about the area, and while the Despot isn't powerful himself, he holds a lot of power. And quite a bit of Tamuz's mentorship was stressing that, while Wing did gain a lot of power, he's still mortal. Messing with someone with such power, especially while essentially being a supplicant to him? Not his idea of a workable strategy.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-02, 08:29 PM
Yeah, but there's a vast difference between god-bloods, mortal sorcerers and outcaste terrestrials, and Breeding 5 CMA Dynasts and Celestials.

Tavar
2011-06-02, 09:00 PM
Perhaps, but we aren't exactly telling him about the Celestials. Not to start, at least. And, a primary component to his actions is keeping the Realm out of his business. Do you really think he's going to look favorably on a Realm Immaculate giving him directions?

Edit: something to be clear; I'm not against us moving more to the forefront eventually. Just not immediately. Once we know exactly who we're working for, and we have a good relationship(perhaps magically influenced), then I'm all for it.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-02, 11:39 PM
Orchid didn't mention because it's that astronomically foolish, but it's also possible that someone summoned a demon by purpose rather than type. 'Mining demon' describes Demjen well, after all... But who would ever bother summoning a random demon? If they know Sorcery, then they have the occult knowledge to know that random summons are pointless and stupid.

Of course, they're also stupid enough to try to mine gems in the actual city, rather than stealing from an outlying mine where the Despot is less likely to catch them.

Dramatically speaking, it is of course because Laurel has already unearthed the Eye of Autochthon, which got itself buried under Gem. Because everything massively destructive comes to Gem at some point, that's why.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-02, 11:39 PM
Pyrus wouldn't approach him as a Dynast, just as a very powerful Dragon-blood.

Tavar
2011-06-03, 12:15 AM
But he knows your a Dynast already. So he wouldn't see it that way. Plus, if you don't approach him that way, he's going to think of you as a random outcaste, and again, we're back to the problem that if we try and strong-arm him, he'll work against us if only because he doesn't realize how powerful we are(and I think you're overstating our strength at this point).

Drascin
2011-06-03, 12:37 AM
Yeah, but there's a vast difference between god-bloods, mortal sorcerers and outcaste terrestrials, and Breeding 5 CMA Dynasts and Celestials.

Not in the case of Drake, not at least in combat. Your average combat-kitted godblood could give him a massive beating - Sids are not known for efficient combat suites, and Drake is worse than most, having gone for one of the least offense-heavy martial styles in the game :smalltongue:.

Also, I might be a bit gone until Tuesday. Have to do a 75 page paper for monday. With luck my head will not explode :smallsigh:.

Tavar
2011-06-03, 01:14 AM
Eh, Snake style isn't that great on Offense, either. I mean, both of it's offensive charms are extremely expensive(both cost 1 wp...), so what it's really good for is going first, and having a fast form charm that's also effective. Still, I'm probably not going to finish the entire style-as it stands, too many of the later charms are XP sinks.

Plus, if I remember correctly, your style is very good at giving group benefits. Something I'm sure we'll all be appreciating.

Edit: Holy cow. New Lunar overdrive charm here (http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=48200), and I want it soooooo bad.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-04, 04:55 AM
Edit: Holy cow. New Lunar overdrive charm here (http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=48200), and I want it soooooo bad.

That is a sexy, sexy charm. I like how it is so very Lunar, and supports having to spend a few scenes tracking down your unfortunate target by making it all the worse for them when you arrive.

Recaiden
2011-06-04, 10:06 AM
That is a sexy, sexy charm. I like how it is so very Lunar, and supports having to spend a few scenes tracking down your unfortunate target by making it all the worse for them when you arrive.

I like the idea of it, but the overdrive pool concept seems...extremely underwhelming. Nothing but a handful of extra motes. Maybe with more experience I will come to understand it.

Tavar
2011-06-04, 10:44 AM
I like the idea of it, but the overdrive pool concept seems...extremely underwhelming. Nothing but a handful of extra motes. Maybe with more experience I will come to understand it.

If you pay for a charm or charms completely from the overdrive pool, they don't count as charm activations. The charms must be offensive, though.