PDA

View Full Version : A Dream of Quiet (OoC)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Recaiden
2011-06-04, 11:17 AM
If you pay for a charm or charms completely from the overdrive pool, they don't count as charm activations. The charms must be offensive, though.

Oh. That...that changes things. :smalleek:

Drascin
2011-06-04, 12:05 PM
Yep, it's a pretty neat charm.

And overdrive is a neat idea, if not particularly wowing. But then, I detest the combo system and would like to excise it from the game with a Predator harpoon gun, so anything that reduces its importance is fine by me :smallamused:.

Also - paper finished. Though I have not slept in about 40 hours, since I stood awake all of tonight to work. I will be probably be able to post again tomorrow after I come out from the inevitable coma :smallredface:.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-07, 03:05 PM
Due to severe and impending financial difficulties I may be offline for the foreseeable future, probably to the point I'll have to drop this game.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-07, 03:52 PM
Uh-oh. Well... I'm sorry to see you go, and I hope that things work out alright.

Leliel
2011-06-07, 06:27 PM
Ah.

Sorry to see you go.

Recaiden
2011-06-07, 07:31 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that, Rhyvurg. You were a wonderful player, and you will be missed until such time as your free time/internet can be restored.

I'll give you some time to decide about that probably, but also make plans to move the game on without Pyrus.

I hope the difficulties are swiftly overcome, and that thee situation isn't too bad for you. Good luck out there.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-08, 01:15 AM
Well it might not actually happen, I'm not gone for sure.

Recaiden
2011-06-08, 08:45 AM
Just probably gone, right? When do you imagine you would know for sure if you will have to drop these internet games?

Rhyvurg
2011-06-08, 04:59 PM
By tomorrow, actually. A friend is supposed to be sending me the money I need, but I haven't heard back from him yet, so *fingers crossed*

Rhyvurg
2011-06-09, 06:28 PM
Crisis averted! Woot!

Recaiden
2011-06-09, 06:31 PM
Congratulations? Good to hear that you're still around.

Leliel
2011-06-11, 01:55 PM
Wonderful!

Leliel
2011-06-13, 05:24 AM
Um....Why did the game just stop?

Tavar
2011-06-13, 08:35 AM
Initiative, we don't have it?

Well, and the fact that we need certain character to reply before we can move on. Pyrus is pretty central to this whole plan, after all.

Drascin
2011-06-13, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I mostly was waiting until other people could weigh in.

Recaiden
2011-06-13, 06:46 PM
Initiative, we don't have it?

Well, and the fact that we need certain character to reply before we can move on. Pyrus is pretty central to this whole plan, after all.

What is all this about having initiative? It keeps cropping up.

As for the stopping, there was Pyrus being central to the plan and maybe having to leave, Leliel having tests, and storyteller being busier than usual.

LauWren
2011-06-13, 07:46 PM
Figured out what to do with my present experience, and I think I'll probably need to know where we are before knowing how I'll spend the next round. (Basically going for enough social skills to pursue my motivation. Plus combat to be the group's death-bunny.)

2nd charisma Excellency (12): Convincing people to turn against slavery peaceably will require Charisma. Plus, it also gives me the ability to learn...
Instinct Memory Insertion (12): "Remember we can help you with anything you need." And the Despot goes, 'I need some help with ____.' And he immediately, perfectly remembers us.
2nd Stamina Excellency (10): Okay, got some use, but I'm mainly getting this so that I can have...
Relentless Lunar Fury (10): Foundational Lunar combat, and more offense is nice.
Essence 3 (18): May I raise my Essence to 3 instantaneously when a suitably dramatic moment comes up, as a Solar/Abyssal/Infernal does, or do I need to spend the training time?
Either way is fine with me, but if I have the chance to gain the extra Ox-Body charm and motes and such early, I'd like to know. It would also boost my Dodge MDV to 7 via rounding, which might be important if we engage in social combat, just as the 2nd Charisma Excellency will be.

Tavar
2011-06-13, 07:47 PM

Is this an honest question? I can't tell.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-13, 07:51 PM

As for the stopping, there was Pyrus being central to the plan and maybe having to leave, Leliel having tests, and storyteller being busier than usual.

It's pretty clear why we got tripped up for a bit. I'd say that we have pretty variable initiative, in terms of seeking to move the plot forward (As in, our plot to take over Gem :smallamused:) but generally it stays fine. It's just that we hit a great big speed bump in that triple-threat of delays, so we're still getting things back together.

Recaiden
2011-06-13, 08:19 PM
Is this an honest question? I can't tell.

Never mind. I understand the meaning of what you're saying, and what the problem here was.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-14, 12:25 AM
Reference for later because I keep having to look this up. It will go with the charm when Orchid learns Principle of Hierarchy Primordial Precepts, assuming that charm is allowed.

Procedure level : Total resources cost
Apprentice : 1
Initiate : 2-3
Adept : 4-5
Master : 8-9
Resources can be paid off at a rate of 2m=1 resources
All thaumaturgical rituals also cost 1wp at the end, or 2wp for Primordial Precepts.*
*Having re-read the charm, "The Infernal may pay a point of Willpower to perform any thaumaturgical procedure whose activation roll could be enhanced by the chosen Yozi's Excellency (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Charms:%28Yozi%29_Primordial_Prece pts)" actually sounds more like I don't pay anything except 1wp, and don't need any tools. Given that the willpower cost is otherwise equivalent to Celestial Circle Sorcery, I wouldn't be too surprised; but I leave the determination up to you, Recaiden. It's either a huge number of slow, weak, very expensive spells - or a huge number of slow, weak, slightly expensive (still costs 1wp) spells.

By the way, the Draught of Blessed Respite. A half-dose allows us a really nice sleep reducer (4 hours instead of 8, and we can still do some things during those eight hours. Addictive, though, if you use it more than 3 times a week.)

However, a full does induces automatic sleep for the full eight hours in any circumstances. The applications of this as a weapon appear to have been... overlooked. It's not called out as a Poison or Sickness effect, has no rolls to even try and resist... Would you mind statting that out, or would you like me to? It's just that I realized that it'd make great tranquilizer darts... :smallbiggrin:

Drascin
2011-06-14, 03:37 AM
I think the problem with that is that a full dose is something like a big glass, and getting that inside a dart is going to require some ingenuity. Or a tranquilizer bazooka that shoots darts the size of grenades :smalltongue:. Or, of course, Many Missiles Technique, but I didn't get Archery in the end.

Also, before we go, we should stop a moment and let Drake do the Shadow Finger ritual thing. I mean, getting everyone +5 MDV before entering a social situation seems a smart thing to do.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-14, 04:44 AM
I think the problem with that is that a full dose is something like a big glass, and getting that inside a dart is going to require some ingenuity. Or a tranquilizer bazooka that shoots darts the size of grenades :smalltongue:. Or, of course, Many Missiles Technique, but I didn't get Archery in the end.

Well, Orchid could probably use a telekinetic clinch and force it into someone that way. We know that a half-dose can be mixed with little enough wine not to need a Resources cost of its own, at least.

Also, if we can get it light enough (The air elemental blessing will do it) then you'd only need Generalized Ammunition Technique to fire arrows of go-to-sleep-now. And that's assuming that it's not already light enough to be used.

For stats, I made some! Based it more or less off of Arrow Frog Venom, since the stuff is clearly powerful. The fact that it's harder to apply since the dose is so much larger I consider balanced by the fact that A) It incapacitates very quickly and B) It's not technically intended as a poison.
It is, in fact, a poison when one takes a full dose, and charms treat it as such. Half-doses mixed with wine should generally be treated as just alcohol for charm purposes.
A dose of Draught of Blessed Respite puts someone to sleep rather than inflicting conventional damage, three ticks after application. A person who attempted to resist may attempt again at the end of each hour, or every ten minutes for Exalted. Someone who did not resist may attempt a resistance roll every hour, if they're Exalted - mortals who didn't resist are generally stuck sleeping for eight hours.
Toxicity 3 (thus 5 for mortals). This is the difficulty on the Stamina+Resistance roll.
Penalty -3, lasting four hours if the potion is resisted. If the target gets twice the needed successes (6 for Exalted, 10 for Mortals) then the penalty applies only for six ticks before fading.
Unlike most poisons, it costs a point of willpower to resist the first dose each day. Further doses require no willpower to resist, but can be allowed to take effect normally if desired.
Successfully resisted doses don't count towards addiction.
Generally, a person who has just woken up receives a bonus success, and a person who might be drowsy (generally, has eaten their last meal for the day) suffers a -1 external penalty.

Also, before we go, we should stop a moment and let Drake do the Shadow Finger ritual thing. I mean, getting everyone +5 MDV before entering a social situation seems a smart thing to do.

It could conceivably be useful, yes.

Recaiden
2011-06-14, 07:59 AM
Reference for later because I keep having to look this up. It will go with the charm when Orchid learns Principle of Hierarchy Primordial Precepts, assuming that charm is allowed.

Procedure level : Total resources cost
Apprentice : 1
Initiate : 2-3
Adept : 4-5
Master : 8-9
Resources can be paid off at a rate of 2m=1 resources
All thaumaturgical rituals also cost 1wp at the end, or 2wp for Primordial Precepts.*

Only one willpower for Primordial Precepts

Or a tranquilizer bazooka that shoots darts the size of grenades :smalltongue:.
. For some reason that seems perfectly fitting for an Exalted character...

Tavar
2011-06-14, 08:05 AM
Only one willpower for Primordial Precepts

That's pretty powerful. That charm effectively means he knows all rituals for no cost and can get bonus dice on the roll, something that you can't get normally.

Drascin
2011-06-14, 08:20 AM
That's pretty powerful. That charm effectively means he knows all rituals for no cost and can get bonus dice on the roll, something that you can't get normally.

Indeed, that's a lot of XP efficiency, especially since with enough talkery you can flavor anything thaumathurgy as valid for the SWLiHN excellency (thaumathurgy being by necessity a very exacting and detailed process).

aetherialDawn
2011-06-14, 06:02 PM
It does seem like Swirly could be a master key to Thaumaturgy, and even if Thaumaturgy is weak in Exalted circles, getting all of it for the cost of a charm is a bit much.

Also, it occurs to me that I don't have to pay the minimum price. I think that I'll just pay 1m per dot of Resources; it doesn't make much sense that I can create something from nothing at all for the Art of Alchemy, for instance.

I can't use the Art of the Dead at all, Summoning Demons leaves them unbound and so I can't do that, Summoning Gods would be stupid ('Let me just tell Heaven my name while summoning a god to witness that I'm doing this with Infernal Essence'), Summoning Elementals could conceivably be useful, I can't use any of the Autochthonian Arts at all because I don't know they exist.

In the Art of Weather Working, I can use Foretell Weather, but I cannot use any of the weather-altering ones - it's not preparation and science, it's asking the local weather court to change the natural order, a big no-no for Swirly.
So I cannot bring rain to Gem with the Major Changes procedure.

The important Arts and Procedures that this leaves me are Alchemy, Astrology, Enchantment (Talismans are 1-dot artifacts that take 25 days to make normally. Artifact intervals are normally 84 days for one roll), and Warding and Exorcism (which can be bound to Talismans to make them permanent.)

Compared to normal charms, this is a crafting charm: I need to have already prepared to use it, but once I have I can get anything I please out of it. Unlike normal artifacts, it's countered by Emerald Circle Countermagic and only goes up to 1-dot effects, but it's also very fast - like a sort of Sorcerous-keyword acceleration charm.

Oh, and I can make proper, Earth-quality soap with the Art of Alchemy.

Recaiden
2011-06-14, 06:12 PM
He doesn't know all of them, (and he should not try to stretch the SWLIHN Excellency to get more of them, on pain of terrible things happening to Orchid). And the bonus dice only apply if he goes and learns them normally, which I don't see as a particularly efficient use of anything.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-14, 07:40 PM
He doesn't know all of them, (and he should not try to stretch the SWLIHN Excellency to get more of them, on pain of terrible things happening to Orchid). And the bonus dice only apply if he goes and learns them normally, which I don't see as a particularly efficient use of anything.

I've been thinking more, and I think that they're right that Primordial Precepts is too strong for She Who Lives in Her Name. It wasn't a problem before, but Tool-Transcending Constructs will soon allow me to ignore tools, and I have just barely enough XP left to buy it. Since about half the motes cost of a given thaumaturgical ritual as I was calculating it was 'I'm paying to ignore tools' it makes things far too cheap. 2m per dot of resources ignored (so, 0m for Apprentice, 2m-4m for Initiate, 4m-6m for Adept, and 8m-10m for Master)

Recaiden
2011-06-14, 07:46 PM
I've been thinking more, and I think that they're right that Primordial Precepts is too strong for She Who Lives in Her Name. It wasn't a problem before, but Tool-Transcending Constructs will soon allow me to ignore tools, and I have just barely enough XP left to buy it. Since about half the motes cost of a given thaumaturgical ritual as I was calculating it was 'I'm paying to ignore tools' it makes things far too cheap. 2m per dot of resources ignored (so, 0m for Apprentice, 2m-4m for Initiate, 4m-6m for Adept, and 8m-10m for Master)

That does seem too easy. Would a second point of willpower really be a good balance there, though?

aetherialDawn
2011-06-14, 08:44 PM
I actually meant that, as opposed to the previous (Pay 1wp, no motes) I'm paying (1wp, all the normal motes) because in exchange for the She Who Lives in Her Name Excellency opening so many of the good procedures, I have to accept that she won't modify a procedure that I do without the proper preparation. I can use motes and Tool-Transcending Constructs, but I can't do it 'for free'.

If I used the Cecelyne Excellency, I'd get far fewer procedures, but hypocrisy and 'justice' is A-Okay with me not doing proper preparation, so I'd only pay the 1wp cost.

Thaumaturgy is still weak; this charm is only a candidate for being too powerful because my excellency opens up so many procedures, letting me apply a few extra dice to almost anything with a little preparation. A sorcerous spell costing 10m, 1wp is astronomically more powerful than a master-level Procedure costing the same. But I get a few useful master-level procedures and several weaker ones, so them being expensive for the power is quite easily balanced by being cheap in terms of XP for the versatility.

Drascin
2011-06-14, 11:49 PM
Don't knock Thaumathurgy - it is weaker than your Charms, because you're an Infernal, but I sure know that if I could get a full master's degree in even just Alchemy for the price of a single Sidereal charm, I'd be so on it, since it'd be much more useful and applicable than most of my charms :smalltongue:. For one, if there was a Sid charm like that I'd probably have got some dots of Thrown - you can make all manner of grenades with Alchemy, plus the ones you improvise :smallbiggrin:

aetherialDawn
2011-06-15, 01:31 AM
This is true. Hmm... Yeah, the only defenses I can give are "It helps the whole group." and "Infernal charms are strong."

Also that it essentially has the Sorcerous keyword, which is a double-edge sword (Essence isn't committed, but it can be countermagic'd...)

None of these are arguments I'm happy relying upon.

The XP costs for Procedures is 1 XP per Procedure.
The XP costs for Degrees is 8 XP per degree (and I need three per Art) since I have Occult favored.

As far as an Infernal charm, perhaps it allows me to learn complete Degrees near-instantly (five hours of meditation, or one hour in Malfeas) and at some reduced cost, as well as giving some number of XP to be spent only on learning Degrees, much like the Alchemical Charm Optical Enhancement (If you don't have the book, the charm is really just a collection of submodules, and gives you 12 XP to spend on its submodules. You can pay more XP to get more submodules, of course. Alchemical charms cost 10-12 XP, assuming you include the Charm Slot cost. Also, consider getting the Alchemicals book, they're cool. :smalltongue:)

I made a list of all the useful procedures I saw. In cases where several procedures do one thing, I included only the most powerful.
Everyone should feel free to point procedures that should be added or removed. (Or in Recaiden's case, outright veto procedures, especially if he thinks they don't fit the Excellency.)
Alchemy (Requires Craft Water for potions, Medicine for medicine, Fire for grenades, at 0/1/2/3)
Life's Little Luxury Blends (0, Int+Occult, Diff 1, one hour)
Draught of Blessed Respite (1, Int+Occult, Diff 2, one hour)
Eagle's Eye Potion (1, Wits+Occult, Diff 3, one hour)
Craft Sleep Grenade (1, Int+Occult, Diff 2, six hours)
Craft Smoke Grenade (1, Int+Occult, Diff 2, eight hours)
Age-Staving Cordial (2, Int+Occult, Diff 2, one hour)
Munificent Antivenin (2, Int+Occult, Diff 3, one hour)
Philte of Desire (2, Int+Occult, Diff 2, one hour)
Valiant Warrior Formula (2, Wits+Occult, Diff 2, one hour)
Seven Bounties Paste (3, Int+Occult, Diff 4, one hour)
Sweet Cordial (3, Int+Occult, Diff 4, one hour)
Wind-Fire Potion (3, Wits+Occult, Diff 4, one hour)
Internal Alchemy (3, Sta+Occult, Diff 3, two miscellaneous actions)
(Magical Refining)
Stabilize Moonsilver (2, Per+Occult, Diff 3, one hour)
Distill Orichalcum (2, Sta+Occult, Diff 3, one week)
Heavenly Transmutation Process (3, Per+Occult, Diff 7, one hour)
Chalcanth ([Demon's Circle], Int+Occult, [Demon's Essence], five days)

Astrology
Compile Chart (0, Wits+Occult, Diff 2, one hour)
Greater Divination (3, Int+Occult, Diff 4, three hours)
Reactive Planning (1, Wits+Occult, Diff 5, one hour)

Enchantment
Talisman (3, Int+Occult, Diff 5, 200 hours)

Geomancy
Ritual of Dedicated Purification (0, Int+Occult, Diff 1, one hour)
Blessing (2, Int+Occult, Diff 3, three hours)
Curse (2, Int+Occult, Diff 3, three hours)
House of Good/Ill Fortune (3, Per+Occult, Diff 5, one hour)
Scrying (3, Per+Occult, Diff 5, one or more hours)

Husbandry
Summon Human (2, Man+Occult, Dodge MDV of target, one hour)

Warding and Exorcism
(Spirit type) Sight (1, Per+Occult, Diff 3, five minutes)
Thrice-Warded Gateway (0, Dex+Occult, Diff 2, one minute)
Alarm Ward Against Creature (1, Per+Occult, Diff 1, one hour)
Ward Against Creature (2, Int+Occult, Diff 1, one hour)
Greater Ward Against Creature (3, Int+Occult, Diff 1, two hours)
Keyed Ward (3, Wits+Occult, Diff +2, one hour)
Ward Maintenance (3, Per+Occult, Diff 3, one day)

It occurs to me that I'm going to need to spend some XP getting Craft (Water) and Medicine... Annoying, since my charms previously added up perfectly. I'll have to drop something.

By the way, I'm thinking that warded nets could be pretty cool for capturing things, since they're a net to us and immovable ward to their intended target.

Recaiden
2011-06-15, 07:39 AM
Don't knock Thaumathurgy - it is weaker than your Charms, because you're an Infernal, but I sure know that if I could get a full master's degree in even just Alchemy for the price of a single Sidereal charm, I'd be so on it, since it'd be much more useful and applicable than most of my charms :smalltongue:. For one, if there was a Sid charm like that I'd probably have got some dots of Thrown - you can make all manner of grenades with Alchemy, plus the ones you improvise :smallbiggrin:

Sounds like a sidereal problem, really. But I don't want to be giving Infernals stronger powers just because they're stronger, you know?

This is true. Hmm... Yeah, the only defenses I can give are "It helps the whole group." and "Infernal charms are strong."

Also that it essentially has the Sorcerous keyword, which is a double-edge sword (Essence isn't committed, but it can be countermagic'd...)

None of these are arguments I'm happy relying upon.

The XP costs for Procedures is 1 XP per Procedure.
The XP costs for Degrees is 8 XP per degree (and I need three per Art) since I have Occult favored.

As far as an Infernal charm, perhaps it allows me to learn complete Degrees near-instantly (five hours of meditation, or one hour in Malfeas) and at some reduced cost, as well as giving some number of XP to be spent only on learning Degrees, much like the Alchemical Charm Optical Enhancement (If you don't have the book, the charm is really just a collection of submodules, and gives you 12 XP to spend on its submodules. You can pay more XP to get more submodules, of course. Alchemical charms cost 10-12 XP, assuming you include the Charm Slot cost. Also, consider getting the Alchemicals book, they're cool. :smalltongue:)

I made a list of all the useful procedures I saw. In cases where several procedures do one thing, I included only the most powerful.
Everyone should feel free to point procedures that should be added or removed. (Or in Recaiden's case, outright veto procedures, especially if he thinks they don't fit the Excellency.)

Not all charms can or should be Optical Enhancement, but in this case, the model sounds like a good fit. Giving you 8-12 XP to be spent on procedures immediately and opening up the SHWLIHN ones to easy future study sounds more in line with the fluff of the charm to me. Would you be okay with that downgrade and normal mote costs to help avoid over-Infernalling others?

((* has the alchemical book already *))

aetherialDawn
2011-06-15, 03:28 PM
As I implied, I don't really buy into some Exalts being more powerful than others as a rule. At most, they should have broader or less broad applications of power. It's not a reality, but that doesn't mean I can't dream!.. So yes, the charm needed a downgrade, and it even makes me happy that it's weaker. I still get what I want (cheap thaumaturgy)

It also means that I actually have reason to not use some of the Master level stuff, since I'll have to actually pay more if I want to access it, which makes thaumaturgy a little more interesting. If I'm paying only 2 XP per degree, then the charm should give only 8 XP. I shall spend it as follows.

2 XP: Initiate of Alchemy (For those Draughts of Blessed Respite, since we're moving so fast - having extra time in the day to train seems useful.)
4 XP: Adept of Warding and Exorcism (Alarm Wards, deterrent wards, and barrier wards.)
2 XP: Initiate of Demon Summoning (Obligatory, and I realized that there IS in fact one demon I can summon and trust with this; I happen to have a Metody Familiar still in Malfeas...)

Leliel
2011-06-15, 06:46 PM
Firstly, how much experience do I have again?

I forgot to mark it.

Recaiden
2011-06-15, 08:14 PM
Firstly, how much experience do I have again?

I forgot to mark it.

65, unless you marked down spending of it somewhere that I missed.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-16, 10:51 PM
I just noticed, somehow, that the latter half of my post didn't make it into the thread! I don't even know how that got by, but as it is still the most recent and the second half completely changes the nature of what I said (Cautious agreement instead of opposition) I have changed it.
If this is a problem, it can be changed back to the original, though I think the complete, current version will move the story along faster.
(Text color to emphasize.)

The rest is just idle XP-plan updates.

Since I need Craft (Water) for Alchemy, I'll be dropping Emerald Circle Banishment for a Craft (Water) access specialty. The remaining 6 XP I'll save, because while I could be a Master of Geomancy and get Scrying and such, it's more important to have wiggle room.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-16, 10:54 PM
Guys, seriously, the next time I try to push the plot forwards, can we just let it happen? I've tried twice now to get on with things.

Recaiden
2011-06-16, 11:06 PM
Seems like my offline gaming group. Got to plan everything perfectly, right? I may have to start declaring that things happen and what sort of action should be in a post.
And by may, I mean will.

For the notice of people, after speaking with the Despot, there will be some time where nothing is scheduled to happen and I would like a post or two about any training, spending experience, that may happen.
This will also be the time for things that don't need so many characters involved, like Wing seeing his contacts, Orchid reacquiring his familiar, Amelia finding escaped Laplanders, Drake meeting with the people Nazri wrote out, etc, etc.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-17, 12:54 AM
I assume that Drake is able to stretch the ritual to include Orchid?

And Pyrus will probably need to provide a group name to the Despot for bookkeeping purposes, so if we don't have one when we get there, we may get assigned one.

Orchid would be in favor of something that can still be used once it is made clear that we're Anathema, to ensure a minimum of confusion. Otherwise, he won't voice any real objections to most names.

I'm personally in favor of (The) Circle of <Something>, simply because it's a simple-to-make name which fits all types of Exalted, but it would also be logical to select a name of Dragon-Blood origin; (The) Brotherhood of <Something>/The <Something> Brotherhood.

I'm also in favor of a group name eventually... But I feel that it doesn't need to be now. We should be defined by the myths we make, after all. We're Exalted.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-17, 04:38 AM
This might seem overly simple for Exalted, but how about just The Circle?

Rhyvurg
2011-06-17, 04:55 AM
Fine, if the frikkin' dice roller refuses to work, I'll use something else!

Recaiden
2011-06-17, 08:13 AM
[roll0]
Incidentally, take a one die stunt to whichever of those rolls you would like. Not that it helped. :smalltongue:

aetherialDawn
2011-06-17, 12:24 PM
This might seem overly simple for Exalted, but how about just The Circle?

Ah, but it serves our purpose for now ('a name') and, well, when we do something awesome we can add it on. If we later regret that we aren't The Circle of <that awesome thing we just did> then the winds of rumor will make it so for us.

Besides, the Despot probably hasn't had anyone register under just The Circle yet.

Leliel
2011-06-17, 06:25 PM
Probably.

Have to hold off posting for the rest of the day. Things to do, character sheets to draft...

Drascin
2011-06-20, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a sidereal problem, really. But I don't want to be giving Infernals stronger powers just because they're stronger, you know?

Well, yeah, there is a bitlot of Sidereal problem there, but fact is that indeed Infernals do have stronger charms because they're stronger (this may annoy me because I dislike the Exalted paradigm of "Solaroids get better than you at your splat's point for one third the XP", but, like Aether said, solving that's just a dream at this point. Everything from the splat XP tables to individual charm power is made towards this, after all). This is Exalted, the only measure of strength is Charms, so "stronger" means "stronger charms". I was just saying because the original version of that charm struck me as a tad too broad even for your average Infernal Charm, which are known for being broad - nothing more.

In other news, we have finally gone before the despot. Drake is going to keep to the sidelines here, not talking much beyond some choice sarcasm to reassert his "too wisecracking for his own good" persona. Don't want to call much attention, you know! :smallbiggrin:

Leliel
2011-06-20, 10:04 PM
As per usual, Raziel is going to be servile, but a little less meek-he's going to come out as a "Demon-Blood", so he should act the part of the resentful servant to the "Prince of the Earth".

Recaiden
2011-06-20, 10:47 PM
Doesn't Lotus Eye Tactics only reveal people with, in this case, 5 or more dots of martial arts?
Either way, it includes the Jester. The Old Man is either less skilled or hiding his power. Do you get any other information from it?

Tavar
2011-06-21, 12:12 AM
That depends if he's using the 1 or 3 mote version. Text of the charm(from the wiki, so it should be open source):

Sidereals understand the world; much of their power to act upon the world proceeds from this fact. When the character perceives an individual whose Martial Arts rating is equal to or higher than his own, that fact becomes Obvious to his senses unless the character is using a supernatural disguise of some kind. Alternately, for a cost of 3m, the character knows all combat Abilities a perceived individual possesses which are rated equal to or higher than his Martial Arts rating.

Drascin
2011-06-21, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I'm going with the 3 mote version - anyone with an ability at 5 pings. Reason of use being, if the despot has personal bodyguards hidden in his entourage, they will almost certainly be masters of their trade, not amateurs (he can afford masters), so any bodyguards he has will ping for one ability at 5 almost certainly.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-21, 02:38 AM
Doesn't Lotus Eye Tactics only reveal people with, in this case, 5 or more dots of martial arts?
Either way, it includes the Jester. The Old Man is either less skilled or hiding his power. Do you get any other information from it?

So that's why the Despot sent out his military advisers and kept the jester. Not something I'd probably have seen with a Perception+Awareness (Unless I rolled all 10s or some such.)

Recaiden
2011-06-21, 08:18 AM
Yeah. The Jester and Amelia both show up as 5 dot masters there.

Drascin
2011-06-21, 08:22 AM
Nobody else has a single combat ability at 5 in the room?

Damn, and I thought I was crappy at fighting :smalltongue:.

Recaiden
2011-06-21, 08:32 AM
Nobody else has a single combat ability at 5 in the room?

Damn, and I thought I was crappy at fighting :smalltongue:.

It's all 4 dots and 3 dot specialties. Now, if you want bad at fighting, just look at Raziel. :smalltongue:

Drascin
2011-06-21, 10:41 AM
It's all 4 dots and 3 dot specialties

Which incidentally sidesteps my ability to detect it in the NPCs. Argh. Sad moment when you realize you'd be better off with less dots in the ability you're using :smallsigh:.

Recaiden
2011-06-21, 06:28 PM
Which incidentally sidesteps my ability to detect it in the NPCs. Argh. Sad moment when you realize you'd be better off with less dots in the ability you're using :smallsigh:.

That's fellow party members, you know.
I decided earlier that would be too mean to use for NPCs.

Tavar
2011-06-21, 08:13 PM
Technically, with the ritual, I'm at MA 5. If that matters.

Tavar
2011-06-24, 12:08 AM
Wait a sec. Have we even figured out if we can do that stuff yet(IC)? Isn't it a bit early to promise them that stuff?

Also, I thought we were going to try and be a bit less, well, confrontational about the whole thing?

aetherialDawn
2011-06-24, 01:30 AM
It's an idea which is already possible - there are known artifacts that do it.

We're just going to try and do it more efficiently. And since we don't need worldwide communication, we can certainly do that.

I want to make an Investigation attack. Do I need to roll Join Debate now?

Recaiden
2011-06-24, 08:11 AM
I think this is Pyrus's version of non-confrontational.

It's an idea which is already possible - there are known artifacts that do it.

We're just going to try and do it more efficiently. And since we don't need worldwide communication, we can certainly do that.

I want to make an Investigation attack. Do I need to roll Join Debate now?

Yes. Join Debate Roll, please.

Also, I'll be away until Monday or Tuesday. Posts may be slow or non-existent.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-24, 10:27 AM
I'm just dangling the bait, getting him interested. Once we have the funding and freedom to get Orchid the things he needs, we can string him along until we can deliver.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-24, 03:58 PM
Wits+Awareness, 3+4 dice from Melodies and his constant watchfulness from inside Orchid's head.
[roll0] Ouch... 0 successes thanks to that pesky 1. This is Exalted, not another White Wolf game, I think I did get one success. Looking it up.

Things we probably would have discussed while walking to the Palace:
I assume that we want the Despot alone, so we can tell him what we want without having to worry about who else hears it?
And are we going to tell him about Laurel yet? It doesn't benefit us directly, but it puts pressure on our largest competitor for enacting social change in Gem by giving her a new enemy.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-24, 08:48 PM
I think it would be best to evaluate Gem's defenses from the inside, see what needs to be done to hold Laurel off, THEN we tell him what changes need to be made and why. Maybe toss him a line about possible spies so we couldn't tell him right away.

Tavar
2011-06-24, 09:01 PM
I'd say it's better to reveal that there is a grave danger first. After all, what good does hiding the truth do?

aetherialDawn
2011-06-24, 09:08 PM
Hmmm. Probably something along the lines of 'We'll be searching for spies ourselves because we don't want our blueprints getting out to Gem's enemies, and we'll tell you about any you need to know about'
I was already planning to say something like that, so it won't take a lot of alteration to include it. It gives us the set-up to tell him later, without relying on 'just trust us' - since he's probably not going to like that line at all.

But ultimately, I agree with Tavar: We don't seem to get any benefit from not telling him about Laurel. We MAY benefit from not telling him certain details (Like the exact nature of how she gets her powers - Anathema Yozi-cult Leader should scare him plenty, after all, and prepare him for the right power level.)
Though we might have to start worry about him calling in a wyld hunt at that point.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-24, 10:41 PM
The truth is great, but I'd rather have a solution to offer after I warn someone of danger.

Tavar
2011-06-24, 11:01 PM
The truth is great, but I'd rather have a solution to offer after I warn someone of danger.

That's always nice, but we can't afford it right now. We need to impress on him that there's a danger. Especially since your first tact seemed to hinge on that. If we weren't going for confrontational we could do things slower, but if we're going all in, we need to go all in.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-25, 12:27 AM
Well, for either way: If we need a solution, then I thought it was 'you can handle her resources like any other Yozi cult, and if she tries to retaliate with her personal power, we can take her down without forcing you to spend favors getting a wyld hunt in faraway Gem during a time of war.'

If we don't want to address that yet, then we can also get closer to the Despot by claiming that the threat is 'Paragon or your other enemies could also benefit from our plans and blueprints - so we need private access to you to ensure that they don't get leaked out and betrayed.'

I support either way, it's just whether we think it's better to shut down Laurel as early as possible or to be more certain before we even try.

Leliel
2011-06-25, 07:42 PM
I'm...not sure what to do.

I can't join debate because I'm presented as resenting Pyrus, so if anything I'd be trying to convince the Despot he shouldn't side with us.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-25, 11:29 PM
You can join debate and convince the despot to go along with it via manipulation!

Alternatively, join debate and try to argue because you've been promised the ability to leave back to a life as a hermit? That seems a little weaker, maybe.
Perhaps claim that though you hate serving another... Pyrus/the circle is strong, and that's the rule you follow. It's the law of demons, after all.

Tavar
2011-06-26, 03:09 PM
Okay, I'm joining debate; [roll0]. Never really done social combat, and I'm not sure of the debate order yet.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-26, 06:36 PM
It's not absolutely perfect, but this run-through of social combat (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=Exalted_203_Social_Combat) was very helpful for me.

Some of the basics follow.
I'm fairly sure everything in the spoiler is correct, but if Recaiden says otherwise I'm wrong, and even if he doesn't there's still a chance that I just plain made an error and didn't catch it.
Charisma: Attempting to convince someone with persuasion and/or genuine feeling. 'Fairly' convincing someone.
Manipulation: Attempting to convince someone with trickery and/or rhetoric (Of course, the line between rhetoric and persuasion can be hard to judge.)
Appearance: The net difference in Appearance grants increased or decresed MDV; if you have 2 more Appearance than your target, their MDV is reduced by 2. If you have 2 more Appearance than the person targeting you, your MDV is increased by 2. The maximum change is +/- 3, though a few charms break that rule.
Oddly enough, this just as easily replicates appearing unapproachably wise, so apparently ancient sages can be really sexy sometimes, or don't seem all that wise in person. I tend to look at it as 'you make more of an impact upon the scene by being there' for one reason or another. Technically, it just says 'Appearance' and not 'Appears Pretty' although the implications in general make it clear that, yes, for most people it is the Beauty stat. If you have an appearance of 1, it counts as 3 for intimidation attempts. If you have an appearance of 0, it counts as 5 for intimidation attempts.
Appearance is obviously the most powerful... But social artifacts, charms, sorcery, and such rarely key off of it unless you're a Lunar in which case go wild. Orchid's artifacts will probably continue that pattern if they're meant for personal use unless someone gives me a reason to do otherwise.

Presence: Attempting to convince one person, or inspiring people. Makes people do things.
Performance: Attempting to convince anyone present, inspiring people again, or music. Makes people do things.
Investigation: Attempting to get an answer to a question. Only makes people do things with an appropriate stunt. It is the least-defined of the three.
Socialize: This one is weird. I think I would describe it as 'social awareness and tact' but I'm not sufficiently certain. As Pyrus has shown, however, you can use this for a dramatic entrance so it's obviously pretty cool on that basis alone. It lets you detect someone's motivation in a scene - not their capital-M Motivation, but just what their plan is this particular scene. If you want their captial-M Motivation you need to use Investigation.

Your Dodge MDV is attempting to ignore someone's arguments (usually)
Your Parry MDV is attempting to refute someone's arguments (usually)

Intimacies provide a +/- 1 to MDVs - if someone tries to argue in line with one of your intimacies, your MDV is reduced by 1. If they go against an intimacy, your MDV is increased by 1, and if they succeed anyway it starts to erode the intimacy.
Virtues at 3+ provide a +/- 2 to MDVs - if someone tries to argue in line with your high virtues, your MDV is reduced by 2. If they go against a high virtue, your MDV is increased by 2.
Motivations and Urges provide a +/- 3 to MDVs - if someone tries to argue in line with it, your MDV is reduced by 3. If someone tries to argue against it, your MDV is increased by 3.

For written combat, it's all exactly the same, but you use Linguistics in place of Appearance for both attack and defense. It seems to be about phrasing rather than merely calligraphy, since Craft (Air) handles calligraphy too.

I figure the fact that it's much easier to convince a GSP to follow their Urge is a big part of how the Yozis keep them loyal. It also means that it's very hard to pry a GSP away from the Yozis unless you work in line with their Urge (which is, remember, what the Yozis want done anyway.)
They could even make the first Urge 'Learn to love the Yozis', but given that in the Demon Realm love is apparently always accompanied by pain, they probably wouldn't think to try that even if they weren't absolutely crazy.

*I think debate order works just like physical combat order, it's just that we use long ticks instead of short ticks. You can even use Guard and Aim actions in social combat, which might be handy since Orchid will be using an Investigation attack and that will probably help anyone who goes after him. :smallbiggrin:

Tavar
2011-06-26, 06:51 PM
Right, I know that. But, well, I don't know where in the tick order we are, or if a tick order exists yet. Hence, no IC post.

aetherialDawn
2011-06-26, 09:11 PM
Oh.
Well, yeah, not everyone has rolled yet, and it's based on highest successes, so we're just waiting on everyone else.

I feel rather silly for writing all that up, although the research was good for me, so... eh.

Recaiden
2011-06-27, 05:29 PM
they probably wouldn't think to try that even if they weren't absolutely crazy.

*I think debate order works just like physical combat order, it's just that we use long ticks instead of short ticks. You can even use Guard and Aim actions in social combat, which might be handy since Orchid will be using an Investigation attack and that will probably help anyone who goes after him. :smallbiggrin:

I think you are severely underestimating how crazy the Yozis are...

And the order does work the same, but with long ticks, so far as I understand.

Right, I know that. But, well, I don't know where in the tick order we are, or if a tick order exists yet. Hence, no IC post.

Tick order is established after everyone gives a join debate roll.

Given the weirdness of having a readying post for social combat, you can each have an introductory post outside of the order.

Tavar
2011-06-27, 06:19 PM
And, we shouldn't try and make social attacks in this into post, yes?

Recaiden
2011-06-27, 06:50 PM
And, we shouldn't try and make social attacks in this into post, yes?

Correct. You have a post to say what you want to say and it will be considered, but no rolled attacks yet. You can say something, but it's not an argument to try to convince him yet.

Tavar
2011-06-27, 10:24 PM
Actually, this brings up another question; what language are we speaking? I'd assume fire tongue, but Leliel's character did speak up...

Here's the basis of my post, but it might be re-worked depending on the answer above.

Wing hadn't intended to speak up, but as Pryus kept talking he became more and more uncomfortable. The pitch was good, yes, but in some ways it was too good. Promising things that the group had simply theorized, building unreal expectation. Too much, too soon. So he breaks in.

Putting his hand on Pyrus's shoulder, he speaks his native english in hushed undertones."Careful, Pyrus. Don't promise what we can't deliver."

Letting his hand drop back to his side, he then talks directly to the leaders of the city. "There are threats. Ones you need to be aware of, too. A, well, a demon worshiper, with some power, is moving against the city. From what we discovered just recently, she has some sort of movement working inside the city."

Recaiden
2011-06-27, 10:39 PM
Unless specified otherwise, everyone except Leliel is speaking Flametongue

aetherialDawn
2011-06-28, 12:32 AM
Of course, having Leliel speaking Old Realm is dramatically appropriate for a more 'demonic' feel.

Tavar
2011-06-28, 12:52 AM
Of course, having Leliel speaking Old Realm is dramatically appropriate for a more 'demonic' feel.

But do we want to play up that feel? After all, isn't this a place where demon worshipers are killed by exposure?

aetherialDawn
2011-06-28, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure Dragon-Blooded are allowed to keep demon-blooded servants. Pyrus would need a license if we tried to claim that Leliel was a full demon, though.

(Also, doesn't Gem punish Anathema-worship more painfully than being an Anathema?)

Recaiden
2011-06-28, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty sure Dragon-Blooded are allowed to keep demon-blooded servants. Pyrus would need a license if we tried to claim that Leliel was a full demon, though.

(Also, doesn't Gem punish Anathema-worship more painfully than being an Anathema?)

That depends on if the Anathema are useful to the Despot. If they're not, they die horribly along with their followers.

And I believe demon-worshipers get the strangulation, but I might have it backwards. Either way, a bad thing, but again, useful to the despot overrides public executions to placate the Realm. Especially if a Dragonblood is the demon's keeper, as then they're clearly cool with that particular demon/demoniac being around.

Drascin
2011-06-28, 04:51 PM
Well, I guess I'll roll that Wits+Awareness for Join Debate, but if nothing goes horribly wrong, Drake is going to be biting his tongue so hard it bleeds to make sure nobody examines him too closely, so he'll probably not intervene much as he'd like to :smalltongue:.

[roll0]

Recaiden
2011-06-28, 05:39 PM
Drake will get a chance to speak on Long Tick 2, with his 4 successes.

If everyone else would roll...

Tavar
2011-06-28, 05:46 PM
aetherialDawn got 1 success, and I got 2.

At this point, if they're not posting perhaps we should just move on without them? They can always join debate later, after all.

Recaiden
2011-06-28, 05:58 PM
aetherialDawn got 1 success, and I got 2.

At this point, if they're not posting perhaps we should just move on without them? They can always join debate later, after all.

Thank you. I had missed Aetherial Dawn's post and was specifically waiting for at least his as well as yours, as they had expressed intent to carry out speeches and social attacks. Anyone else is considered to be Inactive until they come up with somethingg to say and join the debate to say it.

Debate Order:

Tick 2: Drake
Tick 3:
Tick 4: Wing
Tick 5: Orchid
Tick 6: Pyrus, Despot

Leliel
2011-06-28, 09:59 PM
Sorry for the delay.

A family of foxes seems to have taken a liking to our chicken coop, had to outfit security.

Rhyvurg
2011-06-29, 12:01 PM
Oh God, I was hoping to avoid social combat...

LauWren
2011-06-29, 04:26 PM
Join debate roll: [roll0]

Rolling, but I don't have a real plan here. I'll back someone who does.

EDIT: Six successes. Well, um. Inconvenient. I'm guarding until needed so I don't mess up the tick order.

Drascin
2011-06-29, 05:13 PM

We all were, man. We all were :smallsigh:. But I did fear it, hence why I insisted on the MDV bonus before we got here, just in case...

Recaiden
2011-06-29, 06:30 PM

We all were, man. We all were :smallsigh:. But I did fear it, hence why I insisted on the MDV bonus before we got here, just in case...

Is it really that bad of a system to be part of?

Rhyvurg
2011-06-29, 07:29 PM
No, but I build for this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheRealMan), not this. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DirtySocialTricks)

aetherialDawn
2011-06-30, 01:29 AM
Well, since we aren't going to pack all our social change into one conversation, do we need to do anything except

1) Get the Despot to oppose Laurel, or at least be prepared for her.
2) Get as close to Carte Blanche as we can to pitch our ideas to him and get resources for them. (Not just building ideas; we all have motivations to pursue, and Gem is a good tool for that.)

Come to think, put that way, if people really do not-want to do social combat... I'm okay with that too. Neither of those will require too much effort, since he's interested in the cell phone idea - we can get time and resources based on that. And as for training (paid training?) we can prepare to be his own little anti-Laurel bodyguards.

Hmm. Up to you all (+Recaiden)

Drascin
2011-06-30, 05:46 PM
Is it really that bad of a system to be part of?

It's just I've had a fair few pretty bad experiences with Social combat, and to be honest have some fundamental disagreements with it.

This scene should work fine, though.

Recaiden
2011-06-30, 06:03 PM
Okay. Feel free to elaborate on your problems with it so they can be avoided if possible.

Tavar is up.

aetherialDawn
2011-07-01, 01:12 AM
Confirming: This makes it my turn? (Alternatively, it is Tick 5 now?)

Recaiden
2011-07-01, 08:29 AM
Confirmed! Wing gets to act again whenever he wants to stop monologing and makes the post for it, like Amelia.

aetherialDawn
2011-07-02, 05:31 AM
I have made my Investigation attack, bumping me out to Tick 10.
(I'm not attempting to use the Rate 2 of Investigation; I'm asking the Despot 'what do you think should be done to defend the city?' but trying to do it in a way that he can answer as needed. In case that was confusing still.)

Recaiden
2011-07-02, 10:04 AM
Pyrus is up then.

Rhyvurg
2011-07-02, 08:36 PM
I suppose I should read the social combat rules...

EDIT: **** it, I'll Guard, speed 3.

Recaiden
2011-07-02, 09:43 PM
I am considering if it would work to forget this entire plan, kill some NPCs, and throw you into regular combat here.
Something to get out of this encounter.
2 people guarding, 2 whose characters are out of it, and one person aiming, it's clearly not working out too well.

aetherialDawn
2011-07-02, 11:04 PM
True.
The Despot agrees to the cell phone plan already, after all.
Really, Orchid's investigation attack might get us something nice for other social combat. But it looks like it doesn't matter - by the time we can all participate, we'll have the benefit of massive overkill in terms of Essence.
Better to just see what the heck the Despot wants to do in terms of Laurel, do real combat if it's appropriate, and get on with the game. Maybe the Despot will give us less support, but we'll be fine.

If anyone has a pre-planned social attack, it might be good to let that run... but the problem is that it looks like the answer there is that nobody does, so yeah.

Drascin
2011-07-03, 03:43 AM
I am considering if it would work to forget this entire plan, kill some NPCs, and throw you into regular combat here.
Something to get out of this encounter.
2 people guarding, 2 whose characters are out of it, and one person aiming, it's clearly not working out too well.

Not everyone has to be important in every encounter. I myself don't have a problem with waiting for a bit - Drake has taken himself out pure and simply because he doesn't wish to call attention, but this conversation has to happen and he'd probably participate if it weren't because making himself look like anything more than a dumbnut is going to explode on him later so hard. But I like talking to NPCs, really. Combat for the sake of it would bring me less enjoyment than just watching other people talk about interesting stuff does.

Plus Drake is about as useful in a fight as your average mortal soldier, probably less, and made of particularly brittle glass (fun thing about being in disguise - you don't get to go around in your armor), so keeping away from not-completely-unavoidable fights is probably a good idea for him :smalltongue:.

Leliel
2011-07-04, 08:39 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to post. Busy, busy, busy hosting out 4th of July party.

Leliel
2011-07-06, 09:43 PM
And now, my ADD is keeping me away from the game. My apologies.

Recaiden
2011-07-06, 09:54 PM
And now, my ADD is keeping me away from the game. My apologies.

Apology accepted, there's no rush. It's Tavar's turn anyway (Although to keep things moving, Dawn may post, acting under the assumption that Wing's aimologue continues until such a tick as he decides to act.

Or is that crazy?

aetherialDawn
2011-07-06, 10:35 PM
Apology accepted, there's no rush. It's Tavar's turn anyway (Although to keep things moving, Dawn may post, acting under the assumption that Wing's aimologue continues until such a tick as he decides to act.

Or is that crazy?

Seems reasonable. I'm fairly sure that the Despot's attack didn't hit anyone even without stunting, so we're free to make up our own minds whenever we please.

I'll post soonish, barring Tavar jumping in or Rhyvurg changing to an attack.

Leliel
2011-07-09, 02:35 PM
Since you seem to be doing things all right, I'll just provide justification for stunts.

Recaiden
2011-07-12, 09:34 PM
So, it appears to be time to throw even more plans out the window in vague hopes of hoping to keep this moving and learning how better to keep a story coherent in the process.

Unless someone has something to post in the next ~11 hours?

aetherialDawn
2011-07-13, 02:32 AM
I can answer the question, if nobody else will. (Basically, a brief description of how we last saw her and a warning of disguise charms.)

It seems like it's about time for either the Despot to agree and give us our suggestions/orders, or for a twist/interruption of some kind. Does this seem correct?

I think part of the problem is that we have few tools yet, and our short-term goal is 'rule Gem.' This kind of work kind of has an initial speedbump as far as keeping things moving goes, but once we start to figure out what we can do things ought to be looking up quickly. :smallsmile:

Drascin
2011-07-13, 03:37 AM
You know, I was going to answer, but I can't find the description of what Laurel actually looks like.

Recaiden
2011-07-13, 08:05 AM
Huh. I could have sworn I posted it, but apparently I left it out of the long-ago introduction.

Orchid and Raziel remember, (in what is likely her real appearance) a short, vaguely bird-looking woman, with short curly hair of the particular grey color that indicated a mortal living for a long time in Malfeas. She had a long tearing scar on the left side of her face, and wore a pair of spectacles, wherever they were acquired, over green eyes.

More recently, Laurel was seen as a taller, older, dignified, darker-skinned person with long black hair in a braid, no scars or spectacles, pure white clothing, still mortal green eyes. This is also what the double looked like. Perfectly identical.

Ebon Dragon Disguise charms!

That assessment does seem correct, it was some other person's response being waited on for the despot to agree and gives out suggestions/ideas/orders.

Leliel
2011-07-16, 09:16 PM
Ah, thanks for reminding us.

Paranoia ahoy!

aetherialDawn
2011-07-21, 01:53 PM
I don't need to make use of the chance for a last word with the Despot - Orchid will return when he needs to requisition materials, probably. Asking for a blank check now would be silly.

Leliel
2011-07-21, 07:29 PM
Just so you know, I'm still alive.

I'll drop in when I can.

Leliel
2011-07-23, 11:55 AM
May be on weekend hiatus.

Horse-sitting for a friend.

Recaiden
2011-07-23, 08:15 PM
Sorry about no-posting. Work's been more busy than normal lately and a bunch of offline friends just suddenly showed up in town the past few days.

aetherialDawn
2011-07-25, 01:19 AM
All fine; so long as things keep moving eventually, all is well.

Drascin
2011-07-25, 05:56 PM
Yeah, nothing more to say here - Drake will shut up until they're back at a place where it's safe to speak :smalltongue:.

aetherialDawn
2011-07-25, 10:17 PM
Argh! The suicidally impetuous mortal has failed to disappear. Well, at least it's funny.

Also, I think Creation has a horizon, of a sort. Assuming a line-of-sight to the ends, if you look South it's a nigh-infinitely distant line of fire, to the East would be trees, to the North would be blizzards/the end of the ground, to the West water (of course, far enough out you get water to your east too) and to the Center wait there is no horizon there it's just a huge mountain.

This can be explained, partly, by the fact that nobody's 100% sure how Creation's sky works. It seems like it MIGHT be a dome? But nobody can actually reach the Sun, Moon, or Stars, or the sky involved, except in a few specific ways that don't even follow the normal rules, like the solar monorail and such...

So we know that Creation has a horizon because the Sun goes below it each day. But since he literally goes into the Pole of Water, we also are left with the idea that the 'horizon' in each direction is just the elemental energies.
To little earthling me, that sounds kind of weird, but for Exalted... yeah, that seems like a basic fact of life, really. There are usually mountains (or more immediately, trees in the East) in the way for most people anyway, unless you're in the West. And for the West, the sun literally dips into the sea as older civilizations on Earth thought, so it's surprisingly normal.

This has been some sort of strange PSA, supported by a look through the core rules, Glories of the Most High (UCS) and a little ink monkeys.

Recaiden
2011-07-25, 10:29 PM
See, I thought I recalled from GotMH: Luna and a few other locations that it worked a bit differently.

The Silver Chair goes out into the chaos parts of the Wyld a ways before going down, so it might even be beyond the water.

And the Daystar blows up anyone who gets too high in the air. And if there is a ceiling, no one's even going to get near it. Mount Meru goes up stupidly high, yes? Like 15 times higher than Everest? And I don't think the air gets much thinner. Dome sounds likely.

But sufficient distances of even air distort vision, right? In satellites and even for human eyes. I remember looking around from the tops of mountains and just barely being able to make out the outline of other peaks (However, my eyesight is kind of bad). If you had actual line-of sight over the tens of thousands of km that is Creation, I think it would probably fade into obscurity before you could actually perceive the Poles.

But, actually being able to (ever-so distantly) see the edges of the world is much cooler, no?

Tavar
2011-07-25, 10:49 PM
I believe it's been stated that Creation had Draw distances....

aetherialDawn
2011-07-25, 11:16 PM
Perhaps you can't see very far... except that the Elemental Poles, being so key to all Creation, are simply always visible. No matter how far you are: If you stand in Creation and have line of sight, you can see Mount Meru, the distant green of the Pole of Wood, the distant red of the Pole of Fire, the distant blue-white of the Pole of Air, and the distant dark blue of the Pole of Water.

So you have a clear horizon* - it's just that you can't actually make out anything too far away, before you reach the 'actual' horizon. So in other words, a lot like Earth mechanically, except that it's got cool thematic additions. Also, can we (someday in the future) build a great big manse just on the edge of, for example, the Pole of Fire and have that visible from enormous distances?
For the cool factor, and possibly massive power availability.

Note: At this point, what I say isn't supported by anything except 'this seems to fit most of the stuff said and sounds pretty cool'

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Exalted tried to get to the Sun with sorcery and artifacts... but it occurs to me that, naturally, the Daystar wouldn't be in the business of zapping Solars. So I guess I just don't know for the sky.

*And one great big mountain. This also makes the bit in RotSE where the Ebon Dragon does work on the Elemental Pole of Earth extra-special, though you'd probably need Charms or Artifacts to see actual detail beyond 'it's Mount Meru, a great big triangle of white stone'

Drascin
2011-07-26, 04:45 AM
I believe it's been stated that Creation had Draw distances....

It was unofficial, but yes, Holden did mention in the forums that after a while you just couldn't make stuff out until you got nearer, Charms or no Charms - that is, Creation has a draw distance.

As for the sky, yes, it's a dome, where the stars are hanged. Though I don't know if it's been stated what happens if you break a hole in it (other than an inevitable SPAAAAAACE reference, of course :smalltongue:).

Also, Recaiden, I'm going to need a bit of info on my available contacts and such - Drake memorized the folder Nazri gave him, so he'd know, but I certainly don't :smalltongue:.

Recaiden
2011-07-26, 08:13 AM
And you're not taking the initiative to just make them up? :smalltongue:
I had actually thought of that. But then I fell asleep while I was thinking.
So, here's what Nazri has given Drake information on:
The following (in the area) have been told the full extent of the situation:

Bleak Reflections Enlivened, Lesser Metody defector, who can be found amidst any cloud formation near Gem, or occasionally in standing pools of groundwater deep underground.
Dorin the Penitent, human Savant, who lives in a lone tent city near the abandoned clock-tower as a hermit.

The following can be expected to work with the Bureau, but not openly or fully:

Polecat Rhyme, one of the city's best duelists. Look for him in House Circla's biggest or most secret fights.
Tepin Sorin Relats, leader of the Lashain Hearth mercenary Company. Their office is near the palace. Their actual command is in a tunnel near the main route into Gem.
Semosphere the gem miner. Slave, to be found in the mines.
Aarai-auseph, God of Griffins, who resides in a mountain aerie to the south of the city.

The following have been identified as serious threats to Gem:

The Convention on Deathlords reports a certain assault by the First and Forsaken Lion pending the launch of his flagship Final Maelstrom, projected date 6 years, 27 days, and a fair likelihood of a ground invasion by the walking dead before that point.
The "Locust-men" to the northwest are believed hostile and expansionist.
The Five Metal Shrike has a long history of destroying Yozi-worshiper-infested towns and areas throughout the South.

The following items are less important but of note:

A Gold-Faction sponsored revolution is due to take place in the Lap in 18 months, likely causing a serious disruption to the food caravans.
There are persistent rumors of a lost Yu-Shan gateway opening upon Gem, but neither portal has ever been found.
This portfolio contains one (1) sample of the bottled laughter of a child.
The comm scarab requires an infusion of essence with each transmission.

There is also a bit of local information on the city that gives +1 to minor contact finding rolls.

And yes, that's a fairly strange assortment of things. You can ask Nazri why those are the trustable people and relevant facts if you wish.
If you want to build a giant highly visible manse in the future, you probably can.

Leliel
2011-07-26, 03:07 PM
What did I miss?

I was studying last night for the entrance test into a career school.

(I hit the max scoring in three out of four categories, got three points over the passing grade in the fourth, by the way).

Recaiden
2011-07-27, 05:10 PM
Everything in both threads since last time you posted. :smalltongue:

You all talked to the Despot, mentioned your ideas for modernish communication technology, warned him about Laurel trying to destroy the city, and left with orders/requests to find out about Laurel and her plans and people helping her.

Then I gave a restatement of smaller things people had lined up to do and hinted that they should post about them and their training without actually coming out and saying that.

Now we wait for anyone to state what they do or say something to the others.

Congratulations on doing so well, by the way. :biggrin: The internet is proud of you.

aetherialDawn
2011-07-28, 01:12 PM
Ah! Well... About how much time do we have? Are the training times different?

Obviously we probably don't know the exact time we have. But yeah, if I'm going to write about the stuff Orchid is busily doing, I'd like to know... what he can be busily doing :smalltongue:

Drascin
2011-07-28, 01:33 PM
And you're not taking the initiative to just make them up? :smalltongue:

Well, I thought that might have been overstepping my bounds as a player, to be honest :smallredface:.

I'll have to spend a bit thinking on what to do during this cooldown time.

Recaiden
2011-07-28, 07:21 PM
Training Times are the same except specialties and combos, which take only 1 week.
Let's say 4 months of narrative time to work with. And remember that training is not the only thing one can do, although it is very time-consuming, and that you can break in the middle of training for a month without losing the time.

It might have been, but I don't think so. If you go too far or contradict something I haven't yet told you I'll veto it, otherwise feel free to fill in details and embellishments and even some facts as much as you'd like.

Leliel
2011-07-28, 10:05 PM
Yeah, sorry posting is a bit sporatic.

In case you missed the hint, life has been really chaotic lately.

Drascin
2011-08-03, 09:01 AM
I get this marked feeling that Rhyvurg doesn't read my posts :smalltongue:.

Recaiden
2011-08-04, 09:04 PM
Yeah, sorry posting is a bit sporatic.

In case you missed the hint, life has been really chaotic lately.

I noticed. Offline life first, online games when you have the time. No worries.

I get this marked feeling that Rhyvurg doesn't read my posts :smalltongue:.

I get this feeling that you're right...

Tavar
2011-08-04, 11:12 PM
Hmm... Can I assume to know about Ingosh Silverclaw's prophecy? Just something to bring up.

Also, really not liking this infernal. She really needs to die.

Recaiden
2011-08-05, 08:03 AM
Hmm... Can I assume to know about Ingosh Silverclaw's prophecy? Just something to bring up.

Also, really not liking this infernal. She really needs to die.

Yes. Any Lunar can be assumed to know that. And you're probably supposed to kill her, a bit later.

Tavar
2011-08-07, 11:15 PM
Oh, I know what I was forgetting. I'm recruiting for a game over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209743). It's set in the Shogunate, with more info in the thread.

Drascin
2011-08-08, 02:27 AM
Now, I hate to seem pushy, but can someone please pay a bit of attention to the dude who is mentioning how the town we're trying to take over is going to die? :smalltongue:

Tavar
2011-08-08, 12:32 PM
Actually, I just sent a PM to Recaiden last night about that, and got a reply. So, my IC post is up, and it should be interesting, especially for you.

Leliel
2011-08-11, 08:24 PM
All right.

I'm actually trying to think of a speech. Stunt dice, you know?

Leliel
2011-08-15, 08:45 PM
Still working on it...maybe I'm thinking this over too much.

Recaiden
2011-08-15, 09:01 PM
You are probably thinking this over too much. You know the saying: Better an okay sermon before the guards come to kill you than the perfect sermon while being executed.

Also, we await either you or Dawn posting in the later timestream when you're all gathered at Pyrus's and can plan to your hearts' content.

Tavar
2011-08-17, 12:46 AM
Just in case it's not clear, here's the bit directed at the Infernals in the Group.
Later, Onyx joins with the others to listen to Drake's warnings. Part of it triggers something in his mind. Locust men...where have I heard that before.... The other warnings were dire enough, but he could feel a connection just beyond his reach.

"Sorry, Drake, I can't say I've ever heard of that. Is it some sort of rogue spirit or behemot- Oh! That's it! I remember where I heard of Locust men before; Ingosh's prophecy. It mentioned 'locusts who walk like men'....right before something about a 'great fire erupting in the south'. And the part about Green Sun Princes. There aren't, oh, about 50 of you, are there?"

This last bit was clearly directed at Orchid or Raziel.

Leliel
2011-08-18, 07:38 PM
Okay. On it.

aetherialDawn
2011-08-18, 08:54 PM
Also on it, finally.

Recaiden
2011-08-19, 08:00 AM
Also on it, finally.

Oh really?

Also, you roll your own dice first, and then I give you any stunts, normally.
Here, have two. [roll0]

Leliel
2011-08-20, 06:15 PM
Sorry, have to hold off on posting.

Have to use public computers for the moment thanks to thunderstorm.

By the way, how do you roll?

Recaiden
2011-08-20, 08:18 PM
Sorry, have to hold off on posting.

Have to use public computers for the moment thanks to thunderstorm.

By the way, how do you roll?

Ooh. Thunder. :smallfrown:

You type #d10

aetherialDawn
2011-08-22, 04:30 AM
(Posting is taking a while because I am also packing as I type/proofread. It is happening. I'm pretty sure I have my non-flashforward portion nailed down.)
Parentheses weren't really necessary there.

Leliel
2011-08-23, 03:02 PM
All right, I'm back.

aetherialDawn
2011-08-23, 04:54 PM
Post made; I could probably make it more succinct, but I am still a bit busy, and likely will be for a few more days.

EDIT: I would really prefer if Raziel stepped in at this point. He's probably better suited to giving a straight answer than Orchid on this subject, given the different coadjutors. (At some point, though, Orchid is going to start trusting Wing, for example, more than Melodies... Or use Cracked Mirror Insight and get a third opinion.)

Leliel
2011-08-27, 11:30 PM
Hey, Recaiden? Forgot to point out what the results of Raziel's preaching were.

Recaiden
2011-08-28, 05:59 AM
Hey, Recaiden? Forgot to point out what the results of Raziel's preaching were.

No, I'm still waiting on the roll that you mentioned that you were waiting to do and then asked about. Charisma+performance, please.

Leliel
2011-08-30, 01:11 PM
I did that.

I just didn't use this site roller, since it doesn't seem to agree with me.

Here, let me show what it does: [roll0]

...And now it does it.

Never mind, let me edit it...

Leliel
2011-08-30, 01:14 PM
Perhaps it's an anti-cheating device that prevents me from editing the roll.

Never mind, here's the new Presence + Performance roll: [roll0]

Edit: Uh...

Just keep in mind, I had no idea this would happen.

I technically rerolled, but I can retrieve the old roll if you want.

Recaiden
2011-08-30, 04:03 PM
It is an anti-cheating device. You can't alter something within [roll] blocks.

And while that is an unlikely roll, you can keep your 13 out of 9 successes. :smallsmile:

And with the excellency, that's 15? Wow.

aetherialDawn
2011-09-01, 03:32 PM
As far as I can tell, the dice roller works a little like this:

If you try and Preview, then it gets locked into [roll] blocks that never expand. So make sure you enter your rolls AFTER your LAST preview!

You can't edit in rolls!

I have no idea what happens if you try to edit out rolls. Never bothered.

Deleting a post with a roll in it, same as the one directly above.

As far as I know, those are the only rules I can recall. It's the preview thing that messed me up for a while, don't know what it's been doing to you.

Tavar
2011-09-01, 05:13 PM
Edited rolls have a red note at the bottom of the page, showing that they've been edited. Like so:
(3d10)[4][7][10](12)

The original roll had a 1 instead of the 10.

Leliel
2011-09-03, 08:41 PM
As far as I can tell, the dice roller works a little like this:

If you try and Preview, then it gets locked into [roll] blocks that never expand. So make sure you enter your rolls AFTER your LAST preview!

You can't edit in rolls!

I have no idea what happens if you try to edit out rolls. Never bothered.

Deleting a post with a roll in it, same as the one directly above.

As far as I know, those are the only rules I can recall. It's the preview thing that messed me up for a while, don't know what it's been doing to you.

All right, got it.

Just so I know-I'm supposed to post my reaction to the literal fire-and-brimstone show, right?

Recaiden
2011-09-04, 01:18 PM
All right, got it.

Just so I know-I'm supposed to post my reaction to the literal fire-and-brimstone show, right?

Well, you can post whatever you want, but yes, you are.

Rhyvurg
2011-09-06, 07:25 PM
You can't preview roll results either, makes it VERY annoying when you like to tailor your combat descriptions based on die results...

LauWren
2011-09-06, 07:27 PM
Well, you could put in [To Be Continued] and then edit immediately upon seeing the rolls. The red text doesn't show up unless you edit the dice rolls, right?

Recaiden
2011-09-07, 01:43 AM
You could do that. Or roll the dice elsewhere and link to them.

aetherialDawn
2011-09-10, 12:13 PM
A Hegra-based storm would be... interesting.

Intelligence+Occult: Are there Infernal charms or demons capable of causing storms?
[roll0] 9 successes.

Recaiden
2011-09-10, 01:38 PM
There are metody-like vitriol elementals in hell that are clouds, but they're obviously demonic acid-clouds, (these are not them).
Hegra, The Typhoon of Nightmares, is the mightiest storm in existence, and can create other storms at will, sending weather throughout Malfeas (and Creation?)
Many of Hegra's subsidiary souls can create or influence the weather.
Any Akuma or theoretical GSP of hers could control the weather.
Zsofika the Kite Flute shinmei Jacint sa Adorjan The Silent Wind causes storms in her wake, though they are obviously supernatural once they really begin.
Radeken, the Madling Hellstorms sa Iyutha the Vitriolic Dragon shinmei Madelrada,That Which Wears Down the Mountains sa Kimbery, the Sea That Marched Against The Flame, steal weather to bring with them and often take the form of clouds. This is rarely if ever the weather of Creation, though it could appear like it.

Leliel
2011-09-11, 08:48 PM
Okay, nice.

More to worry about!

...I like making me suffer.:smallbiggrin:

Leliel
2011-09-16, 04:01 PM
Hello?

Is this game dead?

Recaiden
2011-09-16, 05:28 PM
I don't think so (maybe). I gathered that Dawn had something to post, and LauWren has (at least, but probably only) one more post to make before rejoining the group narratively.

After which I will give out some more experience, probably cut training times because they're harder to work in here, and probably skip ahead to some future scene.

Perhaps everyone could be divided up (but this is not a good idea and would derail any plot more than already), so instead, that just won't be.

If you have something to say or do, go ahead. If not, say in this thread that you've nothing to do in the scene, and maybe say why because honestly I've found I'm not any good at this.

Tavar
2011-09-16, 10:04 PM
I've got pretty much nothing left to do in this scene, besides react to others.

Recaiden
2011-09-21, 02:56 PM
Forgot to mention (because there are lots and lots of demons (23*9+*7~2) = likely 4000 species of First Circle Demons, a thousand Second Circle, a few hundred Third Circles. Naturally, only a tiny fragment of them are in print, but even they are many.

Teodozjia, the Jade Lions Sent into The Word (To Bear the Scripture of Adorjan and the Word of the Yozi) gather clouds in their presence.

Tavar
2011-09-21, 02:59 PM
Oh, just so you all know, I'm recruiting for a game over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216139)

Tavar
2011-09-21, 03:31 PM
Double post, sorry. But is the later for the events at the house?

Recaiden
2011-09-21, 03:37 PM
Double post, sorry. But is the later for the events at the house?

Yes, it in fact is. (Clues include a lack of doors where the Lunar was, but I will edit it to be clear.)

LauWren
2011-09-24, 10:12 AM
Going to be sans internet Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, sorry.

Recaiden
2011-09-28, 03:08 PM
Tavar, you're going to need to re-roll that, with [rollv] tags.

Tavar
2011-09-28, 03:09 PM
I realized that.

[roll0]

Recaiden
2011-09-28, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to make sure. :smallsmile:

So far...
Tick 0:
Tick 1:
Tick 2: Pyrus, Drake, Demon
Tick 3: Wing
Tick 4: Sentinel
Tick 5:
Tick 6: Raziel

As a note, I won't have any internet access Friday or Saturday, but after that I'll be back, and further, with a more reliable connection. :smallsmile:

Tavar
2011-09-28, 03:39 PM
We haven't had time to spend out XP yet, right? Well, except for raisins essence if we were going for essence 3.

Recaiden
2011-09-28, 03:45 PM
I was about to say yes, except for raising essence to three, raising virtues, Raising willpower, raising favored attributes/abilities. So charms and Higher essence, not yet.

I will have to schedule a lot of time to spend xp after this fight.

Tavar
2011-09-28, 03:49 PM
Attributes actually have pretty long training times(weeks, even for favored). The Ability thing means that I can boost my Martial Arts to 5, though. So, that would be one more success on for my Join Battle roll.

Nevermind. I just realized that my Dice cap is [attribute], so currently I can only add 2 successes to my rolls. So, that's a total of 3 including the die roll. :smallsigh:

Rhyvurg
2011-09-29, 07:51 PM
Finally, a fight!

[roll0]

Drascin
2011-09-30, 06:56 AM
So, no access to the charms bought with XP yet? Aw.

Well, not going to be very useful here, but let's see if I can do anything to help. Everyone remember you have a +1 to Martial Arts dots from being Drake's shadow fingers, by the way!

Recaiden
2011-10-02, 05:26 PM
Tick order:

Tick 0:
Tick 1:
Tick 2: Pyrus, Drake, Demon
Tick 3: Wing
Tick 5:
Tick 6: Raziel

Amelia and Orchid may act as soon as their players show up to post for them.

Rhyvurg and Drascin should both post their next actions, then NPCS, then Tavar, NPCs again, Leliel, and probably so on, depending on speed.

Even if you're not built for combat, you're not useless here.

Drascin
2011-10-03, 04:12 PM
It's more that if I get hit by either of those guys I get kind of splattered. I mean, I'm pretty sure I can at least moderately inconvenience them, but a hit from what looks like a soulsteel daiklave is going to put me pretty much out of the fight. And I'm just running on a DV of 6, 5 after attacking, which any Dusk should be able to hit on his sleep.

So yeah, not very confident on my chances to get out of this, especially since I go first - people, please do follow me, I'd rather if we spread the aggro a little :smallredface:.

Tavar
2011-10-03, 04:29 PM
I'd just stay out of direct combat for now; the longer you wait, the more likely better combatants are to arrive.

Also, clarification, due to some further reading of charms. Do successes added by charms that are not the second excellency count as dice added by charms? Because, I thought it was the affirmative, but now I'm seeing several charms that would be useless if this was true.

Edit: Or you could charge ahead like someone with a deathwish....

Drascin
2011-10-03, 05:11 PM

It's you and me between the two Abyssals until the rest come forward. We kind of can't get aside, and between staying put and getting charged, and charging myself, I know which one seems tactically better - we're getting attacked either way (the tiger in particular seems to have aggro'd on me like hell), might as well get an attack in before I die :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2011-10-03, 06:29 PM
So yeah, not very confident on my chances to get out of this, especially since I go first - people, please do follow me, I'd rather if we spread the aggro a little :smallredface:.

You can do it! Believe in yourself!

Also, have a stunt: [roll0]

Also, clarification, due to some further reading of charms. Do successes added by charms that are not the second excellency count as dice added by charms? Because, I thought it was the affirmative, but now I'm seeing several charms that would be useless if this was true.

Successes specifically DO NOT count as dice added by charms. The 2nd Excellency is an exception.

So, now that he's charged ahead like he has a deathwish, go save him!

Tavar
2011-10-03, 07:19 PM
http://pinkiepie.bronibooru.mlponies.com/data/sample/b0f02cdf88416ffc0fadd2cbd8f50720.jpg

Well, I feel silly now. Especially since I cheated myself out of going first. So, by your last comment I can go on the current tick?

Recaiden
2011-10-04, 04:39 AM
Yes, you may take your earlier place back and go on the current tick. Sorry I didn't catch that, but I usually believe people when they say what their dice pool should be. :smalltongue:

Tavar
2011-10-04, 04:19 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. Also, it turns out that I fail at using the dice roller. Let's try this again, with d10's this time.

[roll0]

Recaiden
2011-10-04, 04:50 PM
You have a stunt too. [roll0]

Also, no, bare hands do not count as form weapons. They're just unarmed attacks.

If you remember, please put down the speed of your actions. :smallsmile:

Rhyvurg, you're up.

Tavar
2011-10-04, 07:13 PM
Ouch. A DV of 7's going to be pretty hard for me to pierce.

Leliel
2011-10-04, 07:15 PM
I forget-are Words of Power directed at everyone in the scene?

In other words, must I make a defense roll?

aetherialDawn
2011-10-04, 09:12 PM
Sorry for my unexplained absence! College has been sapping my time, but is beaten back again.

May I roll for Join Battle still? If so,
[roll0]
(Three successes)

Additionally, a seconding of the previous question, but I'll be looking it up quickly too.

Words of power can be used against 'any creature it could socially attack' - Given the existence of performance, it might be everyone. But it's probably not, given that it's as a physical attack. Or rather, we all hear it but only one person is subject to the supernatural attack.

LauWren
2011-10-04, 09:34 PM
I was out of town and then promptly quite ill, so my post will be me attempting catch-up. Sorry.

Rolling to join! [roll0]

(...Zero successes. Ok.)

aetherialDawn
2011-10-04, 09:40 PM
Somehow I neglected to realize that my successes put me next in order, I believe, or else on Tick 6 with everyone else if that's how it works. Regardless, I suppose I shall post! If I got something wrong I can repair/delete later.

Post ready, waiting for a hopefully quick clarification of whether Words of Power strikes Orchid as well.

LauWren
2011-10-04, 10:27 PM
So...I have a stunt-parry planned, but I can't move on it until I know if the Word of Power thing hits everyone or not.

Rhyvurg
2011-10-05, 01:33 AM
Here's hoping the dice gods are on my side...

Elemental Bolt Attack Charm (fire)
Target: Demon
Speed: 6
Accuracy: [roll0]
Damage: 6 lethal

Rhyvurg
2011-10-05, 01:34 AM
Craaaaaaap!

Recaiden
2011-10-05, 01:56 AM
Ouch. A DV of 7's going to be pretty hard for me to pierce.

You've got the proper number of dice to get at it. It just needs a bit of luck.

I forget-are Words of Power directed at everyone in the scene?

In other words, must I make a defense roll?

Words of power can be used against 'any creature it could socially attack' - Given the existence of performance, it might be everyone. But it's probably not, given that it's as a physical attack. Or rather, we all hear it but only one person is subject to the supernatural attack.

This is also how I understood it. It's a physical attack against any one creature who can hear the words, in this case Drake. You're all good for now. None of you need defend.

Sorry for my unexplained absence! College has been sapping my time, but is beaten back again.

May I roll for Join Battle still? If so,
[roll0]
(Three successes)

Yes. You're up.

I was out of town and then promptly quite ill, so my post will be me attempting catch-up. Sorry.

Rolling to join! [roll0]

(...Zero successes. Ok.)

That's okay. Welcome back. Ba luck on the roll, but you're not too far down.

Here's hoping the dice gods are on my side...

Elemental Bolt Attack Charm (fire)
Target: Demon
Speed: 6
Accuracy: [roll0]
Damage: 6 lethal

The dice gods are not happy with you. So...how about that botch? What should it do, do you think?

Order:
Tick 3: Orchid
Tick 5:
Tick 6: Raziel, Amelia
Tick 7: Drake, Wing
Tick 8: Pyrus, Teodozjia
Tick 9:

Tavar
2011-10-05, 08:13 AM
You've got the proper number of dice to get at it. It just needs a bit of luck.

Only if I use quite a bit of essence each attack. Eleven dice vs a dv of 7 is pretty long odds. Anyone up for setting up a coordinated attack?

Drascin
2011-10-05, 02:05 PM
Had we had time to spend XP, I could do the coordination thing - Throne Shadow Form means coordinate attacks between my shadow fingers for free, basically without a chance of failure (well, not really, because dicepools are a bitch, but Difficulty 1 rolls on a 10 dice pool seems acceptable odds to me).

Right now, though, it falls to whoever remembered to get an actual War score, I guess.

Recaiden
2011-10-05, 03:46 PM
Had we had time to spend XP, I could do the coordination thing - Throne Shadow Form means coordinate attacks between my shadow fingers for free, basically without a chance of failure (well, not really, because dicepools are a bitch, but Difficulty 1 rolls on a 10 dice pool seems acceptable odds to me).

Right now, though, it falls to whoever remembered to get an actual War score, I guess.

:smallfrown: I apologize. But just a little.

That's Pyrus with the War dots, you have. And Amelia with one dot. War is not a popular ability here.

Leliel
2011-10-05, 08:54 PM
All right.

Can I post tomorrow? Bit sleepy after working on the farm all day.

Rhyvurg
2011-10-05, 10:07 PM
Hey, I got like 3 War dots, as soon as I feel less like tissue paper I'll pick up some charms too. Also, I completely missed one enemy...so...a bad enough miss could hit the enemy right next to him.:smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2011-10-06, 03:58 AM
Or a nearby ally. But that would be rather harsh.

Of course, Leliel. Get your rest.

It's been an hour or two, Dawn.

aetherialDawn
2011-10-06, 03:09 PM
It's been an hour or two, Dawn.
Edit has taken place in the way that requires the least book-keeping, because it requires the least book-keeping.

The loss of Drake's nice hat is truly a tragedy. Pyrus will need time to be forgiven for the destruction of this valued (accessory-to-a-) member of the team.
I note that Amelia has a charm which makes unexpected attacks expected for those who haven't yet attacked, if she wishes to use it at a cost of 1m and, more importantly, the charm activation. (Fluttering Cry of Warning.) - I'm willing to eat the two Lethal, although it will drop my DV down a point.
Especially after that unexpected attack, I just don't trust the other abyssal.

I'll wait on posting until LauWren has made a decision, since it might turn up information influencing my post.

EDIT: Raziel is acting cold and efficient, Orchid is praising the majesty of the Primordials.
SWLiHN and Cecelyne are confused. :smallbiggrin:

Leliel
2011-10-07, 12:07 AM
Well, I did deliberately select for Yozis that conflict with my personality...

...Though I think Kimbery approves of Raziel in Dalek-mode, since the Reviled and "ON EX-TER-MIN-ATE LIS-TING" are pretty similar.

Though...I should probably start keeping count of Essence expenditures.

Recaiden
2011-10-07, 02:50 AM
The Tentacles do miss completely, sorry. And yes, that you should. Generally a spoiler with a running tally of motes and willpower left is kept at the bottom of IC posts.

aetherialDawn
2011-10-07, 05:52 AM
Gonna poke LauWren again to see if she's using Fluttering Cry of Warning on my behalf. Before that number matters, I hope.

Recaiden
2011-10-07, 05:58 AM
Gonna poke LauWren again to see if she's using Fluttering Cry of Warning on my behalf. Before that number matters, I hope.

It's also her turn to act for Amelia, if she hasn't noticed.

And if she doesn't, make a Wits+Awareness roll to see if you can figure out what that was coming from.

Leliel
2011-10-07, 07:28 PM
Okay, I edited in Charm expenditures into my post, Ichor Flux Tendrils to Periphery.

LauWren
2011-10-08, 12:18 AM
Sorry, life went a little insane for a bit there. Mechanics:

Fluttering Cry of Warning on Orchid
Kick with 2nd Excellency on Sentinel [rollv]10d10[rollv]

Sleeping, I will add fluff in the morning.

LauWren
2011-10-08, 12:19 AM
Roll fail. [roll0]

Recaiden
2011-10-08, 04:01 AM
Okay, Orchid, on hearing the cry, notices something subtly threatening an wrong about Sentinel's stance, directed at him with his momentary look. You may dodge, which means you end up taking no damage.

Also, when you get on, please specify how much 2nd Excellency you are using. :smallsmile:

LauWren
2011-10-08, 05:56 PM
Adding 3 successes with 2nd Excellency and actually remembering to announce that before rolling this time, heh. [roll0] (3 natural successes, 6 total)

Recaiden
2011-10-08, 06:56 PM
Now if you can come up with an IC post, maybe with the stunt you'll hit. :smallsmile:

aetherialDawn
2011-10-08, 11:12 PM
Am I correct that I will need a stunt to dodge?
If not, then I'll consolidate the dodge with my next post if that's convenient.
If so (and I believe it IS so, given that my Dodge DV is currently a measly 1 thanks to my Defend Other flurry-ing and you specifically said Dodge) I'll post sooner.

Recaiden
2011-10-09, 05:44 AM
Am I correct that I will need a stunt to dodge?
If not, then I'll consolidate the dodge with my next post if that's convenient.
If so (and I believe it IS so, given that my Dodge DV is currently a measly 1 thanks to my Defend Other flurry-ing and you specifically said Dodge) I'll post sooner.

Ah. The attack is still Undodgeable, and I hadn't taken the DV penalty into account. You will take 1 less damage, or with a stunt, either completely dodge or soak the last bit.
The description may be in your next post.

2 dice for LauWren: [roll0] Hurrah! You hit him. Regain 4 motes or 1 willpower. However, he fails to understand your cultural references.

Drake and/or Wing are up next. Then Pyrus or Orchid may go, or I'll post for the Teodozjia if they're not about in time.

Tick 7: Drake, Wing
Tick 8: Pyrus, Orchid, Teodozjia
Tick 9:
Tick 10: Sentinel
Tick 11:
Tick 12: Raziel, Amelia

Tavar
2011-10-09, 01:32 PM
Ah. The attack is still Undodgeable, and I hadn't taken the DV penalty into account. You will take 1 less damage, or with a stunt, either completely dodge or soak the last bit.
The description may be in your next post.

Did you mean that it's un-parryable, because while his dodge dv is 1, his parry dv is, I believe, 6. And, if it's undodgeable, he should have to use his parry dv instead.

Recaiden
2011-10-09, 02:05 PM
Did you mean that it's un-parryable, because while his dodge dv is 1, his parry dv is, I believe, 6. And, if it's undodgeable, he should have to use his parry dv instead.

I did in fact mean unparryable. Apologies.

aetherialDawn
2011-10-09, 02:59 PM
I did in fact mean unparryable. Apologies.

Darn, because yeah, my Parry DV is 6.
However, I can include it in my next post, because if it will deal no more than 1 damage it will not be giving me a DV penalty beyond what I already have.

(I think the 'official' word for that kind of attack, by the way, is Unblockable.)

LauWren
2011-10-09, 03:37 PM
1 Willpower regained, had spent 4 motes/1 wp for three sucesses.

As it stands:
WP: 8/10
Personal: 18/22

Drascin
2011-10-10, 04:55 PM
Goddammit typos. Have to roll somewhere. Let's see how the Shoryuken goes. If badly, I'll pop a Third MA Excellency and reroll.

[roll0]

Recaiden
2011-10-10, 05:30 PM
Did I already give Amelia a stunt? Here you go, if not: [roll0]

It appears to go well. Let's see if the stunt helps: [roll1] I was trying to give you one die, but twice I slipped. Something wants you to have the other.
Also, since you're harping on being terrified, you want to roll Drake some Valor? :smalltongue:

You know what you're both doing? Succeeding! Take stunt rewards, and be happy in the knowledge that you're doing something to hurt the poor little deathknight.

Tick 8: Pyrus, Orchid,, Wing is Aiming
Tick 9: Wing is Aiming
Tick 10: Sentinel, Wing stops Aiming
Tick 11:
Tick 12: Raziel, Amelia, Drake
Tick 13:
Tick 14: Teodozjia

Drascin
2011-10-10, 05:50 PM
It appears to go well. Let's see if the stunt helps: I was trying to give you one die, but twice I slipped. Something wants you to have the other.
Also, since you're harping on being terrified, you want to roll Drake some Valor? :smalltongue:

Not until he's actually hurt. Until then, he's going to be kept going by the mix of fear and "holy **** I'm actually dodging him" euphoria. After he actually sees his own blood, though, yeah, going downhill.

Besides, Valor in Exalted has little to do with bravery. It's more like overcompetitive streak :smalltongue:

Tavar
2011-10-10, 06:18 PM
Is the Deathknight still up? And, it appears, if luck isn't with me, it's not against me, either.

Rhyvurg
2011-10-10, 07:54 PM
I'm going to have to think about this one.

aetherialDawn
2011-10-10, 10:04 PM
Considering my action as I read through the posts... But the first thing I saw upon refreshing the IC page was

"SHORYUKEN!"
and it was quite pleasing.

Leliel
2011-10-10, 11:56 PM
Aww, no love for Raziel?

...Don't care, he probably wouldn't survive and my next turn was finding a way to escape for all of the Ring.

Recaiden
2011-10-11, 04:36 AM
Is the Deathknight still up? And, it appears, if luck isn't with me, it's not against me, either.

He got punched up and across the street and isn't standing anymore, but do you think that's enough to stop an Exalt?

Aww, no love for Raziel?

...Don't care, he probably wouldn't survive and my next turn was finding a way to escape for all of the Ring.

Oh, did I forget to roll at someone? Sorry about that: :smallamused: [roll0] +1

Drascin
2011-10-11, 07:24 AM
He got punched up and across the street and isn't standing anymore, but do you think that's enough to stop an Exalt?

Given an Exalt usually has somewhere between 7 and 12 HP, well, honestly, yeah, I'd figure he must be pretty hurt already if only through the continuous ping damage (because this dude appears to have actual armor).

Talking about armor, I appear to have been hit. Given my current soak is 1L/2B, this is probably going to sting. Soon as I have a free moment to write I'll try for some stunting to raise DV and reduce damage a little at least...

Recaiden
2011-10-11, 08:17 AM
Given an Exalt usually has somewhere between 7 and 12 HP, well, honestly, yeah, I'd figure he must be pretty hurt already if only through the continuous ping damage (because this dude appears to have actual armor).

Resistance is one of his favored abilities, and he hasn't even began desperately using Defense charms. He is. admittedly, pretty hurt. But only pretty hurt.

Tavar
2011-10-11, 02:32 PM
Okay, I'm going to abort my Aim action next round, so I should have 2 dice at that point.

Rhyvurg
2011-10-11, 07:30 PM
Can someone do me a solid and tell me what exactly this demon's doing? Because trying to talk Pyrus to death=RAEG.

LauWren
2011-10-11, 07:40 PM
Did I already give Amelia a stunt? Here you go, if not: [roll0]

Yes, you did. Thanks for doubling up though, better on the safe side.

...That is not coming out genuine no matter how many times I try to rewrite it. I am genuinely expressing good feelings. </express>

2 dice for LauWren: [roll0] Hurrah! You hit him. Regain 4 motes or 1 willpower. However, he fails to understand your cultural references.

Tavar
2011-10-11, 09:18 PM
Can someone do me a solid and tell me what exactly this demon's doing? Because trying to talk Pyrus to death=RAEG.

It's using a charm that let's it use presence as an attack stat.

Rhyvurg
2011-10-11, 10:33 PM
Not a botch, but damn I need to combo that charm.

Tavar
2011-10-11, 10:46 PM

Or just up those dice pools. Six dice isn't all that much.

Recaiden
2011-10-12, 05:00 AM

Talking you to death. With Magic Words of Despair which Literally pummel you into submission.

Incidentally, here is your damage: [roll0] Bashing.

It's using a charm that let's it use presence as an attack stat.

Something like that. Not actually presence, but Physical attacks with words.

Yes, you did. Thanks for doubling up though, better on the safe side.

...That is not coming out genuine no matter how many times I try to rewrite it. I am genuinely expressing good feelings. </express>

And I am genuinely expressing understanding and appreciation of what you're trying to communicate. [/understand]

You got the statistically average 3 successes.So what I actually mean is: "Yes, combo that with an excellency/perfect and improve your ranged dice pool."
Descriptive and/or interesting stunts could help a little bit.

Leliel
2011-10-12, 07:29 PM
--warning-writer's Spirit Has Been Drained For The Day On The Basis Of Midterms--

--unable To Post Today, Please Try Again Later--

aetherialDawn
2011-10-13, 01:33 AM
Post made! If I can apply stunt dice for the parry to the previous dodge, then yes please. I had trouble with that dodge.

I want to clinch that Teodozjia so hard. But tactically, I should either clinch the deathknight with all the Excellency I can muster, or keep up my psychic protection.

(I would not say no to clinching as part of a co-ordinated attack on the Deathknight. Can one do a co-ordinated clinch? Everyone but Orchid* can pretty reliably co-ordinate up to three people, and Pyrus can co-ordinate all of us reliably.)

*Being unable to actually use teamwork while simultaneously praising it is what SWLiHN is all about!

Recaiden
2011-10-13, 04:01 AM
Tick 9: Wing (Aim+2)
Tick 10: Sentinel
Tick 11:
Tick 12: Raziel, Amelia, Drake
Tick 13: Orchid
Tick 14: Pyrus, Teodozjia

Dawn, get 6 motes, 1 willpower, or 1 experience from your absurd Interposition parry.
Also, you successfully defend Drake and Raziel completely from the Words.
However, you really are terrible at dodging, so with your one stunt die there you lose the -0 health level.

aetherialDawn
2011-10-13, 12:58 PM
Dawn, get 6 motes, 1 willpower, or 1 experience from your absurd Interposition parry.
Also, you successfully defend Drake and Raziel completely from the Words.
However, you really are terrible at dodging, so with your one stunt die there you lose the -0 health level.

Whoah.
I have a terrible greed for experience and will be taking the 1 experience.

I will be removing that poor, poor -0 health level.

I forgot to roll the reflexive Difficulty 5 check to see if I knew the magical enhancement. I'll do so, and it it comes up too low I'll spend the extra five. Thank you for reminding me.
(And it makes me happy to see the Teodozjia shut up for even one parry, so I'll still count them motes well spent. I'll be spending some from my Personal pool, though - Defiler Anima symbols aren't well-known, but there's no reason to start throwing radioactive fire around yet.)

Intelligence+Occult, Difficulty 5, to comprehend Words of Power [roll0] - EDIT: That's a failure. I'll remove the extra 5 motes. 4 from Personal, 1 from Peripheral, to avoid excessive Anima flare for now.

Recaiden
2011-10-13, 05:00 PM
but there's no reason to start throwing radioactive fire around yet.

If Malfeas could see you now... Is there not ALWAYS a reason to throw radioactive green around?

Tavar, one stunt die per attack:
Punch: [roll0]
Clinch: [roll1]
I'm saying Aim does only apply to the first one here, though I'm not sure either. Regardless, he is both punched and grappled with success. The grapple exactly as you needed to roll.

Tavar
2011-10-13, 06:04 PM
So, 2 motes for each of those? And did I do any damage?

aetherialDawn
2011-10-13, 09:56 PM
If Malfeas could see you now... Is there not ALWAYS a reason to throw radioactive green around?

I can't pick just one answer. Have two.
You... You're right.
I'll just turn in my favored Yozi selection now. I don't deserve it, and the fact I can admit that is only more proof.
I need to synchronize the nuclear fire with driving him to bended knee with a telekinetic clinch as I demand his eternal fealty. Nothing less will do!

(Also, Aim adds to the next attack action, and I'm pretty sure a flurry is multiple attack actions all inside one flurry action. I finally looked that up via Google, but no guarantees, given that it's from the internet. Still, it sounds legitimate. Also it's reasonable, given that the other possibilities I saw were 'you can't Aim on anything in a flurry' and 'you get the Aim on all actions in a flurry.')

EDIT: I'm not sure I understand Raziel's intent. We could walk into a Malfean bar and have a strange joke, though.

Recaiden
2011-10-14, 04:02 AM
So, 2 motes for each of those? And did I do any damage?

Yes. Two, motes each. Each attack does appreciable damage:
[roll0]
[roll1]

[spoiler]I'm...not sure what that counts as. Or even how much of it counts towards DV Negatives.

Speed 5 Miscellaneous Action, -1 to DV

He's wanting you all to go through the gate. Presumably he has a good reason for saying so.

Now, two Infernals, two Lunars, a Sidereal and a DB walk into a bar...

Tick 12: Amelia, Drake
Tick 13: Orchid
Tick 14: Pyrus, Teodozjia
Tick 15: Wing, Sentinel (is CLINCHED and DOES NOTHING)
Tick 16:
Tick 17: Raziel
Tick 72: Portal closes

Drascin
2011-10-14, 05:25 AM
...is that a gate to Hell?

Raziel does remember I'm a Sidereal, and entering Cecelyne's turf (and IIRC all gates to Hell have to go through Cece first) is likely to mean sand falls I die, right? :smalltongue: