PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bigger than Colossal

Kansaschaser
2010-12-16, 04:31 PM
In the epic level handbook, there are some creatures listed as "Colossal+". That means they are one size category larger than Colossal. Here are my questions...

1) If I increase the size of a creature from Colossal to Colossal+, do they gain any benefits(AC, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution) from the extra size category? If so, what are the bonuses and/or penalties?

2) Same as question 1, but what about Colossal++ or even Colossal+++?

3) What is the space/reach of the creatures that are Colossal+, Colossal++, and Colossal+++? The creature listed in the Epic Level Handbook didn't seem to have any extra space/reach when compared to a regular Colossal creature.

Lateral
2010-12-16, 04:35 PM
Space/reach is the same as any Colossal, but you're treated as one larger for bonuses, penalties, and anything that is affected by size or size modifiers. Also, IIRC, Colossal+ is usually referred to as Titanic and there are other entire 'tiers' of sizes above and below them, I.E. Mega-Fine, Mega-Diminutive, Micro-Colossal, Micro-Gargantuan, etc.

Kansaschaser
2010-12-16, 04:53 PM
So, the creature wouldn't take up any extra space, but would still receive +8 Str, +4 Con, +5 AC, and -4 to hit?

So if the creature were to be 10 size categories lareger than Colossal, the bonuses would be +80 Str, +40 Con, +50 AC, and -40 to hit?

NoldorForce
2010-12-16, 05:22 PM
Officially, only Colossal+ exists beyond Colossal, and the effects are exactly as given in the Epic Dragons:
Bigger space and reach.
A size increase for instances where relative or absolute size is directly referenced, such as overrunning or high winds.
A size increase for the purpose of weapons.
Greater breath weapon range for epic dragons themselves.
That's it - neither size modifiers to AC nor size modifiers to grappling would change relative to those for standard Colossal monsters, officially speaking.

That said, Lateral's referring to a third-party epic splatbook called the Immortals Handbook, which does give rules for creatures larger than Colossal or smaller than Fine. The rules are a bit more complicated for advancement than simply stacking the same set of bonuses multiple times, so if you're interested I'd suggest you find a copy of the book itself. (Being relatively obscure, it's mostly out of print but available on PDF.)

Kansaschaser
2010-12-16, 05:30 PM
Officially, only Colossal+ exists beyond Colossal, and the effects are exactly as given in the Epic Dragons:
Bigger space and reach.
A size increase for instances where relative or absolute size is directly referenced, such as overrunning or high winds.
A size increase for the purpose of weapons.
Greater breath weapon range for epic dragons themselves.
That's it - neither size modifiers to AC nor size modifiers to grappling would change relative to those for standard Colossal monsters, officially speaking.

That said, Lateral's referring to a third-party epic splatbook called the Immortals Handbook, which does give rules for creatures larger than Colossal or smaller than Fine. The rules are a bit more complicated for advancement than simply stacking the same set of bonuses multiple times, so if you're interested I'd suggest you find a copy of the book itself. (Being relatively obscure, it's mostly out of print but available on PDF.)

Wow, I was sure there would be some kind of ruleing on this. The reason I ask for statistics for creatures larger than Colossal is because of the spell "Animate Weapon". Animate weapon can be used on any size of weapon(as long as it's bigger than diminutive). If a Colossal creature were to weild a Bastard Sword that is three size categories larger than itself (using a feat or two and a magic item), then the weapon would be Colossal+++.

Once Animate Weapon were to be cast on the weapon, it would be a Colossal+++ Animated Object. I'm trying to generate statistics for Animated Objects larger than Colossal and I want to make sure I'm getting it right.

HunterOfJello
2010-12-16, 08:46 PM
Where did you find the spell Animate Weapon?

Shecky
2010-12-16, 08:48 PM
I propose that we introduce Ginormous, OMGGinormous and Ridiculous.

Runestar
2010-12-16, 09:00 PM
Elder evils has the leviathan.

1 version is 50-ft space, with 20ft reach.

The 2nd advanced version is 60-ft space, but still 20ft reach.

Natural weapon damage and physical stats seem to have been improved arbitrarily (eg: its slam damage improves from 4d6 to 5d6, but tail slap remains unchanged).

Str and con increased by +4, NA by +10. Again, no apparent link. :smallconfused:

Kansaschaser
2010-12-17, 08:58 AM
Where did you find the spell Animate Weapon?

Animate Weapon is from Complete Mage.

Transmutation
Level: Assassin 2, Hexblade 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: Concentration +1 round
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes