PDA

View Full Version : Disease for sleeping in blood?

Godskook
2010-12-16, 05:08 PM
Ok, going over my notes from last session, I realize that one of my PCs slept in goblin blood. I had him, at the time, roll a check for it, and he failed, so I'm assuming he caught *something*, but the question is what, and how to handle it. In order to avoid retconning, I need it to have an incubation period of at least a day.

WinWin
2010-12-16, 05:11 PM
Filth Fever? Seems to represent general unhygenic infections.

Red Ache? Seems more like tetanus than anything else, more from improperly dressed wounds and the like.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-16, 05:13 PM
Honestly, it could be anything you want it to be. He slept in blood. The blood's previous owner-Goblin could have had any disease and it could have been contagious. Needless to say, the adventurer had wounds and by sleeping in it, the bacteria had free entrance to his body.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-16, 05:15 PM
Ok, going over my notes from last session, I realize that one of my PCs slept in goblin blood. I had him, at the time, roll a check for it, and he failed, so I'm assuming he caught *something*, but the question is what, and how to handle it. In order to avoid retconning, I need it to have an incubation period of at least a day.

1. How much blood was there. A liter? A bathtub?

2. Was the goblin diseased?

3. Was there any open wounds on the player for the infection to get in?

Drinking blood doesn't automatically give you diseases. If the blood was dried, then it's probable he didn't get a disease at all. If the Goblin was diseased, then there's a -chance- he'd catch it. I'd roll in that case to see if the disease even survived to infect, and then roll the Fort save for the player. It shouldn't be some auto-disease

subject42
2010-12-16, 05:16 PM
If it's a low-level game I like the "boot soup" disease from the Pathfinder SRD.

A warm sticky nutrient bath is close enough to a jungle environment for it to be believable in context, also.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-16, 05:17 PM
1. How much blood was there. A liter? A bathtub?

3. Was there any open wounds on the player for the infection to get in?

Drinking blood doesn't automatically give you diseases. If the blood was dried, then it's probable he didn't get a disease at all. If the Goblin was diseased, then there's a -chance- he'd catch it. I'd roll in that case to see if the disease even survived to infect, and then roll the Fort save for the player. It shouldn't be some auto-disease

Well, he said he already had the player roll his saves and he failed, so he figured he caught something. His question isn't whether or not he caught it, but *what* he caught from it seeing as they've already come to the conclusion of him catching a disease.

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-16, 05:17 PM
Well... ADVENTURER diseases aren't like, yaknow, normal diseases. They are often more mystical!

Just go here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

And pick a disease that has an incubation of at least one day... which, by the way, is ALL of them!

Personally, I'd suggest "The Shakes", because that is contact based.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-16, 05:20 PM
Well... ADVENTURER diseases aren't like, yaknow, normal diseases. They are often more mystical!

Just go here:

And pick a disease that has an incubation of at least one day.

I just looked through that and I'm going to have to suggest the same thing the first responder did and go with Filth Fever. The Goblin could have easily eaten a Dire Rat (they spread it) and contracted it, passing it to the player. It makes the most sense.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-16, 05:21 PM
Well, he said he already had the player roll his saves and he failed, so he figured he caught something. His question isn't whether or not he caught it, but *what* he caught from it seeing as they've already come to the conclusion of him catching a disease.

My point was that it was a pre-mature dice roll. Dried blood is a fairly ineffective way of catching a disease. Even guzzling the red stuff isn't going to do much because it goes right to the stomach and not the veins.

If he had opened wounds, that would be different.

Otherworld Odd
2010-12-16, 05:22 PM
My point was that it was a pre-mature dice roll. Dried blood is a fairly ineffective way of catching a disease. Even guzzling the red stuff isn't going to do much because it goes right to the stomach and not the veins.

Premature, yes. Official though. Anyways. >.> I get the feeling he slept in wet blood. If it was dried blood, I would have to argue that he probably wouldn't catch anything as well and it would call for a reroll with decreased DC.

Mastikator
2010-12-16, 05:35 PM
Everything that the people or person had, you now have. Also, a heavy circumstance penalty vs disease from a lowered immune system. :smallamused:

Probably also mental unhealthy. If you have that. I mean common, sleeping in blood is a sign that you're a little crazy.

Gavinfoxx
2010-12-16, 05:37 PM
Well, ALL adventurers are at least a little crazy!

Psyren
2010-12-16, 05:40 PM

I read this as "was the elf graceful?" or "was the dwarf surly?"

LibraryOgre
2010-12-16, 06:28 PM
I read this as "was the elf graceful?" or "was the dwarf surly?"

I find this hilarious, given that you have a Blue for your avatar. :smallbiggrin:

However, I'd say match the disease (or parasitic infection! Nothing says lovin' like a case of parasites!) tot he level, or to the DC you had him beat. If you were aiming at a 15 DC, see which diseases have that to start with.

Godskook
2010-12-16, 06:38 PM

Just go here:

And pick a disease that has an incubation of at least one day... which, by the way, is ALL of them!

Sweet, that list was in one of the corners of the SRD I had not read yet.

Probably going with Filth Fever, since while dangerous, won't kill him unless the party explicitly runs him ragged. Shakes, on the other hand, could immobilize him even with full care.

World Eater
2010-12-16, 06:40 PM
Why did he sleep in blood? Goblin blood, no less.
I mean, people are stupid, adventurers more so, but there's a limit.

Talon Sky
2010-12-16, 06:47 PM
Really? Am I the first one to make the herpes joke here? :p

Psyren
2010-12-16, 06:52 PM
I find this hilarious, given that you have a Blue for your avatar. :smallbiggrin:

The sad part is that psionics isn't too good at dealing with that :smalltongue: though I could always turn into a box or something.

Pigkappa
2010-12-16, 06:54 PM

Yeah, but that player won't likely sleep in the blood again, and it's a funny idea to give him a wierd disease for that.

Example of disease: magical cough. This is a magical disease the goblin had; the player will have to cough every few seconds. This is annoying to people and he has a -1 to diplomacy and intimidate check, and -10 to move silently if he tries to move silently for more than a few seconds. This disease can only be removed by magical means.

Talon Sky
2010-12-16, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but that player won't likely sleep in the blood again, and it's a funny idea to give him a wierd disease for that.

Example of disease: magical cough. This is a magical disease the goblin had; the player will have to cough every few seconds. This is annoying to people and he has a -1 to diplomacy and intimidate check, and -10 to move silently if he tries to move silently for more than a few seconds. This disease can only be removed by magical means.

I like this. Make a side-quest to go and retrieve a magical coughdrop. It'll teach the player a lesson :p

MeeposFire
2010-12-16, 07:12 PM
Just note that you do not need to be sick to carry a disease.

Europeans brought many diseases like small pox to the new world which ravaged the local populations even though the Europeans were not sick at all since they had immunity. Immunity does not mean you are not a carrier it just means you do not care so much. Also by immunity I mean you do not notice the disease even if it is affecting you in a small way.

dgnslyr
2010-12-16, 07:15 PM
Well, you can get venereal diseases through blood, right? :smallwink:

Premier
2010-12-16, 07:20 PM
Goblinohominidic Haemophilia.

He's on the way to become a Half-Goblimpar. Goblimpars are to goblins what vampires are to humans. But since he wasn't a goblin to begin with, he'll become a sort of halfbreed which is weaker than a proper Goblimpar, let alone an actual vampire.

In other words, throw away the silly books with their silly boring diseases and make up something cool that translates into adventuring.

absolmorph
2010-12-16, 07:29 PM
Well, ALL adventurers are at least a little crazy!
The typical adventurer is really a supernaturally strong, violent hobo who breaks into people's homes and murders them.
And, rather than, say, buying themselves someplace to live with their massive fortunes, they make their magical equipment more powerful so they can kill more people.

On-topic, Filth Fever is a good one.

LibraryOgre
2010-12-16, 09:05 PM
Now that I'm home, I'm gonna put on my grognard hat and say:

The 1st edition DMG has a wonderful series of tables just for that; pages 13 & 14.

Let's see, base chance of 2%. Filth adds another 1% (assumption; we're dealing with goblin blood, and he felt that was a good place to sleep, so he's not looking at a really clean environment). Exposure to a carrier adds another 10%. Can't say much about the climate or the character's age, so we'll leave it at 13%

Now, for parasitic infestation, we're looking at 3% base, with another 1% for filth, and we'll be mean and call "sleeping in blood" "polluted water" for another 5%, so a 9% chance of parasitic infection.

Now, we could just rule that we're dealing with "blood and blood-forming organs" for disease (01-03%), but it might be something else that gets him, so we roll. Likewise, for Parasitic Infestation, we could rule cardiovascular (01-10), but, again, roll. We can roll for location AND severity, and for diseases, we can roll for occurence (is this going to be a chronic disease or an acute one).

Given the number spreads, it's most likely that he'll wind up with an acute, mild gastro-intesinal disease, robbing him of some Strength and Con (probably only one point) until he's cured, or it runs its course in 1-3 weeks. He's also most likely to pick up some skin parasites, again mild, that will take some Charisma until it's cured. Of course, if he's in bad physical shape (under 25% of HP), it's more likely to be severe and long-lasting.