PDA

View Full Version : why does EVERY thread turn into build advice?

big teej
2010-12-16, 05:26 PM
I mean really?

why?

I have noticed that on these forums, regardless of the original topic, the thread eventually has at LEAST 1 (usually many more) posts saying "oh well, pick x race y class for z levels to get abc thingies that you want. better"

typically completely ignoring the original question and/or build.

and I'm curious as to why? why do these forums so such a tendency to answer everything with build advice?*

*for the record, I love these forums and I come to them daily for advice and to answer questions. I'm simply curious

so I ask the playground (or at least the playgrounders who frequent this section)

why is this? :smallconfused:

Elder Tsofu
2010-12-16, 05:29 PM
I think I actually have never encountered that during my whole stay here. :smallsmile:

CrimsonAngel
2010-12-16, 05:33 PM
Nobody has once told me how to run a build in the LGBTitp thread. :smallsmile:

Cealocanth
2010-12-16, 05:40 PM
I believe it's because you're browsing the RPG forum. That's mostly the conversation that occurs around that area, as well as Homebrew. If you're sick of it, try a different forum area, like OOTS or Friendly Banter.

Comet
2010-12-16, 05:41 PM
Some people just find build-tinkering to be fun and then get carried away with their excitement.
I don't share their excitement, but can you really blame them? Besides, these forums have some really good character builders, from what I've seen. It's sort of a thing here.

And yeah, this probably won't make any sense to someone who doesn't read the Roleplaying Games subforum. :smalltongue:

Occasional Sage
2010-12-16, 06:28 PM
You know teej, you probably wouldn't have this problem if you were running a Dwarven Defender using a high-CHA build. Just sayin'.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-16, 06:35 PM
Why was this posted in Board/Site Issues rather than RPG?

Occasional Sage
2010-12-16, 07:00 PM
Why was this posted in Board/Site Issues rather than RPG?

Presumably, because it's an issue the OP has with the board/site generally.

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-16, 10:17 PM
I agree with you, but it works better with a Venerable Magic-Blooded Half Elf (lvl1) Half Elf Bard Substitution Level 1/Marshal 1/Bard 2/Warlock 1/Cleric(evangelist option) 1/Half Elf Paragon 1. And your name was Fred.

Serpentine
2010-12-16, 10:50 PM
Excuse me Roland St. Jude, I would like to draw your attention to the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=29&a=1), particularly the section on Trolling. It's recommended that all new members read through them before they start posting. You know, just FYI.

Boci
2010-12-16, 10:59 PM
Because why not? If you're not interested, then cool, just ignore the advice. If you are, then cool, your character got better. Some RPG have a lot of options, so its conievable that someone isn't aware of a certain option, and theres no real harm in telling them so.

The Glyphstone
2010-12-16, 11:02 PM
I agree with you, but it work better with a Venerable Magic-Blooded Half Elf (lvl1) Half Elf Bard Substitution Level 1/Marshal 1/Bard 2/Warlock 1/Cleric(evangelist option) 1/Half Elf Paragon 1.

Diplomancy is cheesy, and you should be ashamed. Just go Wizard 20, and chain-gate Solars to beat people up for suggesting build advice.

Kallisti
2010-12-16, 11:05 PM
Diplomancy is cheesy, and you should be ashamed. Just go Wizard 20, and chain-gate Solars to beat people up for suggesting build advice.

Wizard? STP Erudite with a dip in Metamind is a stronger option if your DM allows Psionics. Besides, nothing says "I'm tired of build advice" like a large number of fully-augmented Energy Rays, all fired at once because of Schism/Affinity Field/etc.

Knaight
2010-12-16, 11:07 PM

Needs more Incantrix. Plus, there is the small matter of dragon magazine #1337.

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-16, 11:17 PM
I think your main problem is that you're using a system in the first place. Try freeform instead.

Brom
2010-12-16, 11:22 PM
Excuse me Roland St. Jude, I would like to draw your attention to the rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=29&a=1), particularly the section on Trolling. It's recommended that all new members read through them before they start posting. You know, just FYI.

You get cookie points for telling a forum admin to read the rules on Trolling =D

Not sure if you intended it and you were trying to be amusing, but it was amusing either way XD

Knaight
2010-12-16, 11:24 PM
I think your main problem is that you're using a system D&D in the first place. Try freeform instead.

Fixed that for you. D&D, and a few other rules heavy systems have build advice heavy forums, others don't. I've yet to see any build advice at all for (among others) Fudge or Fate, or even any use of the term build. I frequent the various Fudge and Fate forums and chatrooms as well, so if it was there I would have had a reasonably good chance to see it.

horngeek
2010-12-16, 11:43 PM
Exalted Zenith Caste. *nodnod*

golentan
2010-12-16, 11:52 PM
As always, I recommend Traveller. *nods*

Random char generation prevents build advice.

Serpentine
2010-12-16, 11:57 PM
You get cookie points for telling a forum admin to read the rules on Trolling =D

Not sure if you intended it and you were trying to be amusing, but it was amusing either way XDMan, this TVTropes thing is really handy :smalltongue: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle0t9r68ih?from=Main.Dontexplainthejoke)

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-17, 12:21 AM
Fixed that for you. D&D, and a few other rules heavy systems have build advice heavy forums, others don't. I've yet to see any build advice at all for (among others) Fudge or Fate, or even any use of the term build. I frequent the various Fudge and Fate forums and chatrooms as well, so if it was there I would have had a reasonably good chance to see it.

Well, for Spirit of the Century, having one of Fists, Guns or Weapons at the top of your skill pyramid is essential, since all good pulp comes down to an epic fight scene, and if you're not good at fighting, you're a loser. Resolve needs to be at the second step, because it governs so much, and Endurance might need to be right next to it as well.

Lady Tialait
2010-12-17, 01:20 PM
I agree with you, but it work better with a Venerable Magic-Blooded Half Elf (lvl1) Half Elf Bard Substitution Level 1/Marshal 1/Bard 2/Warlock 1/Cleric(evangelist option) 1/Half Elf Paragon 1. And your name was Fred.

See this? This is amazing. Both of you get cookie points for this.

As for the reason you see so many build replies is because you notice them. I can't say I notice them at all. Then again, I am blind to most things that annoy me, bar a few, and I took infraction for them. Anyway, yeah. *sneaks out back door before anyone can talk to her*

Keld Denar
2010-12-17, 01:30 PM

Yo dawg, I heard you like moderation...

EDIT:

Some people just find build-tinkering to be fun and then get carried away with their excitement.

Guilty. So yea...this is what's known as a discussion forum. Without advise, it kinda just turns into a bunch of people gushing about their characters. And, like anything else on the internet, you get what you pay for (that being nothing). You start a thread, and if you get one helpful reply among a dozen recommendations of DROOD20 DEWD, you've already come out ahead. You just have to thicken up and ignore the parts you don't care to see and get on with life.

JonestheSpy
2010-12-17, 01:58 PM
I've noticed that optimizers often have a real evangelical streak in them.

Gullintanni
2010-12-17, 02:18 PM
I agree with you, but it work better with a Venerable Magic-Blooded Half Elf (lvl1) Half Elf Bard Substitution Level 1/Marshal 1/Bard 2/Warlock 1/Cleric(evangelist option) 1/Half Elf Paragon 1. And your name was Fred.

I expect that this is exactly why the OP didn't post this in the RPG thread. The OP probably expected the thread to turn into optimization.

For shame. And from two mods!!! For shame.

(Also, your builds fail the fluff test. Please provide appropriate back story and resubmit for consideration.) :smallwink:

EDIT: Mod and an Admin.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-12-17, 03:47 PM
I do rather agree with the OP, I see this frequently in the RPG forum. Either that, or it degenerates into some sort of meaningless argument, such as the one in the Gaming forum that turned into a semantic debate about "luck" that really did nothing for answering that OP's question.

I think it's because we have RPG geeks. They know the system, and they like to apply that knowledge to problems. The issue, really, is that there's a lack of depth in terms of responses.

I really think it could be fixed if more people didn't contradict the build advisors, but gave their own advice in other avenues, letting the OP pick and support. It won't necessarily change things at first, but it can work them around eventually.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-17, 03:56 PM

That's a good solution for most problems, really.

And Roland, why you be trollin'? J/K + rhyme = WIN!

Kuma Da
2010-12-17, 04:04 PM
I mean really?

why?

I have noticed that on these forums, regardless of the original topic, the thread eventually has at LEAST 1 (usually many more) posts saying "oh well, pick x race y class for z levels to get abc thingies that you want. better"

typically completely ignoring the original question and/or build.

Well, this might be a little off-topic, but maybe it has something to do with how the thread's set up.

I mean, a well constructed thread should be resistant to even the most ardently build-happy playgrounders.

So, you just have to build your thread right and

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-12-17, 08:02 PM
And Roland, why you be trollin'?
Who's gonna infract him? Rich? :smalltongue: *Waits to see Roland get permabanned by Rich* :P

_Zoot_
2010-12-17, 08:10 PM
I'm loving that fact that even the mods are suggesting builds. :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2010-12-17, 08:57 PM
You guys are cruel to Teej. Seriously. :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Threads turn into build advice in the Roleplaying section because that's what people do there. You go there for build advice. Generally, a few people answer your question, one guy critiques your build, and then everyone does both. Or sometimes just critiquing. Not much you can do about it.

Edit:
DAMN IT! WHY DOES EVERY FRAKKING POST I EVER FRAKKING MAKE START A NEW FRAKKING PAGE! GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :furious::furious::furious:

:smallannoyed:

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-17, 09:18 PM
Who's gonna infract him? Rich? :smalltongue: *Waits to see Roland get permabanned by Rich* :P

Himself, of course. :smalltongue:

Brother Oni
2010-12-17, 09:52 PM
Himself, of course. :smalltongue:

So does that mean if Roland contests the infraction, he gets to appeal to himself? :smallbiggrin:

Ashen Lilies
2010-12-17, 09:54 PM
Only if he doesn't shoot down his own appeal, forcing himself to appeal to a higher power than himself.

SurlySeraph
2010-12-17, 10:14 PM
I've noticed that optimizers often have a real evangelical streak in them.

Eh, I haven't seen all that much of that here, beyond "You know, this would be a lot easier with a full caster." Brilliant Gameologists has a lot more, and rpg.net has some pretty heavy proselytization.

Tangent: For example, rpg.net has Jon Chung. You know how the Tippyverse is an examination of what DnD would look like if played by strict RAW and if everyone made the most optimal decisions? Jon Chung applies that to Exalted, and finds it very stupid when people don't think that makes sense. He gets annoyed when people make comments like "Maybe we could just give everyone more health levels and not use Grand Goremauls?" or or "Maybe there's a good reason why elder Sidereals can't find and kill every Solar that Exalts?" or "Maybe none of the Deathlords is aware that there's a martial arts technique that could theoretically kill everyone in Creation at once?" Everything he says about the rules is correct, though. And he does have some restraint, as he now refuses to consider the existence of most Sidereal Martial Arts. Though I suspect that's partly because some things in SMA can sometimes give his beloved Paranoia Combo Solars a run for their money.

Roland St. Jude
2010-12-17, 10:32 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm not sure this is a question amenable to an actual answer. Too much build advice for some is not enough for others, OPs can post their preferences but can't really control where the discussion goes. When one is the OP, they should do their best to specify what kinds of responses they are interested in but also cognizant of the fact that they don't get to control what people say. If it's within the Forum Rules, we're going to allow it.

While this is potentially a "board issue" in a general sense, it isn't really something we can resolve in any official fashion.