PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Two Psicrystal Questions

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-12-16, 08:50 PM
The RAW seems ambiguous to nonexistent on these points, so I figured I'd see what the Playground had to say about them.

1) Would a psicrystal's Share Powers ability allow spells to be shared under magic/psionics transparency as per the familiar's Share Spells ability? For instance, could a cerebremancer with both a psicrystal and a familar share a power with both of them and share a spell with both of them?

2) If a psionicist uses Share Powers to share fission with his psicrystal, does he gain the benefits of both psicrystals (i.e. can share powers with both, can channel powers through both, can use Psicrystal Containment or solicit psicrystal with both, etc.)?

Gamer Girl
2010-12-19, 03:30 PM
1)No? The share powers and share spells abilities of psi crystals and familiars are separate and different. If you have a familiar from a level of sorcerer, you can't share psionic powers with it, nor can you share spells with a psi crystal.

2)Yes, no reason they could not do this by RAW.

arguskos
2010-12-19, 03:36 PM
The RAW seems ambiguous to nonexistent on these points, so I figured I'd see what the Playground had to say about them.

1) Would a psicrystal's Share Powers ability allow spells to be shared under magic/psionics transparency as per the familiar's Share Spells ability? For instance, could a cerebremancer with both a psicrystal and a familar share a power with both of them and share a spell with both of them?
Hmm. This is very debatable. On the one hand, a strict reading of what Psionic/Magic Transparency is spelled out as in the XPH doesn't include an ability such as Share Powers, since it doesn't interact with spells at all. On the other, a looser reading would say that because transparency says "anything that works with one, works with the other" would imply that the Share X abilities work with both.

Personally, I have no issue permitting it.

2) If a psionicist uses Share Powers to share fission with his psicrystal, does he gain the benefits of both psicrystals (i.e. can share powers with both, can channel powers through both, can use Psicrystal Containment or solicit psicrystal with both, etc.)?
Not sure why this would be in question. Seems fairly straightforward. You have two psicrystals. Enjoy.

AyeGill
2010-12-19, 03:38 PM
1) i'd say share power/spells works with both spells and powers, but an argument could be made against that. Up to the DM, i'd say.

2) yes you can. Enjoy.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-19, 03:44 PM
1: By RAW, no. Transparency only applies to spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items. Share Powers/Spells fit in none of those categories.

2: Yes.

Prime32
2010-12-19, 03:46 PM
1: By RAW, no. Transparency only applies to spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items. Share Powers/Spells fit in none of those categories.It doesn't need to affect spells if spells already count as powers.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-19, 04:59 PM
Yes it does, or else Dispel Magic and Antimagic Field wouldn't work on powers.

Necroticplague
2010-12-19, 05:41 PM
Yes it does, or else Dispel Magic and Antimagic Field wouldn't work on powers.

Except they don't. There is an entirely seperate dispel psionics and antipsionic feild powers.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-19, 07:04 PM
All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

AMF basically makes a dead magic area, but that's kind of iffy so I'll argue from this rule:

Spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

AMF affects psionics because AMF is a spell that could potentially affect psionics.

Psyren
2010-12-19, 07:13 PM
Except they don't. There is an entirely seperate dispel psionics and antipsionic feild powers.

Those are for (a) Psionics-only campaigns or (b) Psionics Are Different campaigns. By default RAW, Dispel Magic, Detect Magic, AMF etc. work on Psionics just fine.