PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Thoughts on this Legacy weapon?

tahu88810
2010-12-16, 11:08 PM
Hey there, all. I've recently created a legacy weapon for my players to find in our Forgotten Realms campaign. It will be split in two, and they'll need to find the second half, but that's a little unimportant. The real issue is that I'm wondering what sort of penalties to apply to this weapon. It's meant for the scout, the son of a very lesser Cali****e nobleman who wasn't always a noble. The weapon was actually first made a legacy weapon by his ancestors. Anyways, here it is...

NAME PENDING (Appears as an ordinary Masterwork Longbow with some fancy designs)
NAME PENDING was originally owned by a bow-maker ages ago, in what is now Calimport. At the time of its creations, humans were slaves to Efreeti. When the two ruling Efreeti were sealed away into the land and sky, this bow was used to hunt down the remaining geniekin with impunity. It was during this time that the "Least Ritual" was first done, for the original owner swore to never allow anyone to be subjugated in any way ever again, devoting his life to a cause of freedom. It was not till the Dragon's Rage that this weapon was awoken once more, when a descendant of the original owner, who had dedicated himself to the same cause, took up the bow in order to stop the rampaging dragons. In the ensuing battle, a single red dragon was slain, and the adventurer's companion, a necromancer, bound the dragon's soul to the bow. Soon after, while fighting an unknown force of evil, the adventurer was slain and the bow sundered into two halves. One half was taken back to Waterdeep, where it sits today in the glass case of a noble house known for its love of art and large social gatherings (The scouts two favorite things, coincidentally). The other remains with the beast who sundered it, waiting to be reclaimed.
Omen- When an arrow is notched to the bow, the string alights in illusory flames.
Least Ritual- The character must swear to advocate and live the cause of freedom and battle oppression and slavery wherever it might be found.
5-Adjustable Draw: Deals extra damage equal to str bonus
6-Continuous Endure Elements
7-
8- 5 Points Energy Resistance from Fire
9-
10- Fireball (DC 14 or 13+Char whichever is higher) 1/day
Lesser Ritual – The character must be reborn in fire, by being burned alive, without any sort of protection (magical or otherwise), for one and a half minutes. They must survive.
11- Flaming Weapon
12-
13- +4 to Str
14- Intelligent Legacy, Major (see below)
15-
16- Invisibility, Fly
Greater Ritual- It has never been upgraded this far, leaving room for the player to leave his own mark on the weapon, should he so choose.

Ahriman, Red Dragon Soul CE; Int18,Wis10,Cha18; Ego 17;Darkvision and Blindsense 120ft; Common, Draconic, Abyssal, Auran, Giant

So! What sort of personal penalties should be applied?

Marnath
2010-12-16, 11:43 PM
The homebrew forum is probably a better place to ask, since most of the people who would know the appropriate way to deal with this frequent that forum. Good luck though. :smallsmile:

tahu88810
2010-12-17, 02:23 PM
Ayuh. I figured as much, but I wasn't sure if it could really be considered homebrew. I'll probably move it over to homebrew some time later tonight, since I'd like to ask for the playground to review a template I'm working on anyways.

Tokuhara
2010-12-17, 03:29 PM
I'll treat this more like a Plot device.

So the players have half of Plot Device X and must obtain the other half before Villain Y obtains it.

Cliche, but classic. I suggest making the item slightly more powerful, as a plot device. When the villain obtains it, the world is doomed, whereas if the players grabv it, now they have everybody and their brother coming out of the woodwork to steal it away before the players can use it to save the world.

Master_Rahl22
2010-12-17, 05:15 PM
Most of the legacy weapons in the book are bad, in several cases because of the penalties. Every time I've played with them we've waived the penalties and have been happy with it. They're only more powerful than stuff you can buy in a low magic campaign where you won't always be able to upgrade weapons or even have a magic weapon at all. It's also much cooler and more flavorful to have one weapon through your whole career that gets more powerful and cooler as you do.