PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Familiar Question!

Absynthyne
2010-12-16, 11:18 PM
My 3.5 epic character has both wizard and cleric levels, and is primarily a divine caster. I am simply looking for a way (prestige/feat/anything!) to level my familiar by my divine casting instead of my arcane.
Does such a thing possibly exist?
The PrC Mystic Wanderer in MoF gives the option for such a thing at 2nd level, but due to RP requirements (throwing off the chains of the church) my character does not qualify.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Gan The Grey
2010-12-16, 11:29 PM
My 3.5 epic character has both wizard and cleric levels, and is primarily a divine caster. I am simply looking for a way (prestige/feat/anything!) to level my familiar by my divine casting instead of my arcane.
Does such a thing possibly exist?
The PrC Mystic Wanderer in MoF gives the option for such a thing at 2nd level, but due to RP requirements (throwing off the chains of the church) my character does not qualify.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You lie. I wasn't familiar with this question at all!

"Gan the Grey, continuing the tradition of the second post of thread being basically useless."

FearlessGnome
2010-12-16, 11:33 PM
The feat Obtain Familiar allows all of your character levels to count as wizard levels when determining stuff for your familiar.

(The limit is still one familiar, though, even though you have actual wizard levels.)

Absynthyne
2010-12-16, 11:37 PM
I'm torn between :smallannoyed: and :smallbiggrin: ...
Leaning more toward :smallbiggrin: though. lol

Absynthyne
2010-12-16, 11:39 PM
I thought that Obtain Familiar just made all of your arcane casting levels stack? Will repost feat when I find it.

Thanks for the responses so far!

FearlessGnome
2010-12-16, 11:42 PM
Sorry, my bad. It is, indeed, only arcane classes that stack.

Absynthyne
2010-12-16, 11:53 PM
OBTAIN FAMILIAR
[GENERAL]
You gain a familiar.
Prerequisite: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, arcane caster level 3rd
Benefit: You can obtain a familiar in the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard (see the sorcerer class description and the accompanying sidebar, page 52 of the Player's Handbook). As with a sorcerer or wizard, obtaining a familiar takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials worth 100 gp. For the purpose of determining familiar abilities that depend on your arcane caster class level, your levels in all classes that allow you to cast arcane spells stack.
Rulebook: Complete Arcane (p. 81)

(We've established this, just keeping the thread alive!)

Gabe the Bard
2010-12-17, 12:02 AM
You could take levels of Mystic Theurge, which would give you divine caster levels and arcane levels to boost your familiar.

If you're open to homebrew, I suppose you could houserule Obtain Familiar so that it can be taken by divine casters, but I'm not sure whether that would be balanced. Maybe you could trade Turn Undead or a domain power to get a familiar as one of your cleric abilities.

Absynthyne
2010-12-17, 12:16 AM
That's a really interesting idea...I'll run it by my DM tonight, but he is usually not very open to homebrew. If I can find a basis for this in an alternative class feature or variant rule he would likely accept it, though.
Thanks Gabe!

gbprime
2010-12-17, 12:26 AM
OBTAIN FAMILIAR
... For the purpose of determining familiar abilities that depend on your arcane caster class level, your levels in all classes that allow you to cast arcane spells stack.

Can you get your hands on the Spell Domain? That would give you Anyspell and Greater Anyspell, which allow you to cast arcane spells with your cleric levels. Thus not only would your cleric levels would count toward Obtain Familiar, but you'd add Cleric and Wizard together. :smallamused:

Gan The Grey
2010-12-17, 12:27 AM
Would Practiced Spellcaster work for something like this? Dunno, AFK.

Boci
2010-12-17, 12:36 AM
Can you get your hands on the Spell Domain? That would give you Anyspell and Greater Anyspell, which allow you to cast arcane spells with your cleric levels. Thus not only would your cleric levels would count toward Obtain Familiar, but you'd add Cleric and Wizard together. :smallamused:

A cleric still has a divine caster level, not an arcane one.

Absynthyne
2010-12-17, 12:45 AM
I was just getting ready to relay what Boci posted.
I got the amagawd-sh** grin when I thought that might work, but my DM gave me a thumbs down for the same reason.

Thanks to all for the continued suggestions!