PDA

View Full Version : ]3.5[ D&D + Wild Westishness?

Deth Muncher
2010-12-17, 03:09 AM
To clarify this up front: Yes, it has to be D&D 3.5.

So, in my musings for my campaign, I was thinking that instead of the traditional kind of desert encounters - you know, psuedo-Egyptian/pseudo-Arabian Nights/Antlions - that I was going to try to spice it up a little and throw some Wild West-influenced desert shenanigans to the PCs. My question, though, is how this would translate to D&D. Gunpowder will be present, but not as present as it was in the Wild West - I'm thinking Mage Duels will replace Shootouts. Or work in conjunction, actually - a gunslinger vs. spellslinger duel might be interesting.

But basically, what I'm trying to think of is - what would happen if you blended traditional D&D and the American Wild West?

My initial musings and points for discussion:

-Desert variants of standard races would be much more common (see: Sandstorm.)

-Kind of like in Sigil, people would be slightly more tolerant of "usually evil" races - sure, you may not LIKE gobbos, but if they're selling you rations so you can head off into the desert, you might not want to impale them for the 5xp so much.

-Gambling: Are there rules for gambling at all in D&D? I mean, I know skillchecks and stuff, but I didn't know if there were any canonically played gambling games.

-Goods: What should and shouldn't be available? Presumably, if there's not that much gunpowder, there shouldn't be a gunsmith's, but I feel like maybe a general store should exist with regular stuff from the A&E Guide, and maybe a small magic shop with basic survival-y type things (wands of Endure Elements, Create Water, etc).

-People: As per the Wild West, I feel like people should be a good combination of sketchy and upstanding shopkeeps, with the occasional noble thrown in for whatever reason.

-Gunpowder & Magic & Outlaws: By the time the PCs get here, it's likely one or two of them might have a sidearm, and likely some of the richer sketch-folk will have them too - having a firearm will likely be a sign of status/respect. Far more common (but not all that common) would be mages, with similar attack-y spells. Much more common than either of those would be thugs - probably with a mage or a gunslinger at the top of a gang (heaven forbid the gang boss should be both). Since this is clearly going to be different from regular play (since roughly 1/3 of every party is casters), how do I make it apparent that maybe they shouldn't go around casting spells/shooting guns at things without outright saying it?

Tricycle_Knight
2010-12-20, 03:00 AM
-Desert variants of standard races would be much more common (see: Sandstorm.)

That makes sense, but make the predominant race (most likely humans) pretty intolerant of others. The Wild West was as much about good ol' fashioned cultural insensitivity as it was about cattle drives and shootouts. 'Savages' like desert orcs or halfings aren't probably going to be trusted in most towns, looked down upon not unlike the natives or freed blacks of the West. Sure, people like having them around to do the dirty work, but you most certainly wouldn't want one dating your daughter.

-Kind of like in Sigil, people would be slightly more tolerant of "usually evil" races - sure, you may not LIKE gobbos, but if they're selling you rations so you can head off into the desert, you might not want to impale them for the 5xp so much.

See above; they may be tolerated (especially if they're the only person 'round these parts with decent supplies), but they're savages nonetheless.

-Gambling: Are there rules for gambling at all in D&D? I mean, I know skillchecks and stuff, but I didn't know if there were any canonically played gambling games.

Two possible ways to go about doing this: actually just playing normal card games (I've done this a few times). This helps get the PCs involved a little more and I feel is a bit more immersive than just simply dice rolls. Alternatively, created a simple betting game based around dice (which you should have a plethora of, I'm assuming). A more streamlined version of Liar's Dice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar%27s_dice) would work.

-Goods: What should and shouldn't be available? Presumably, if there's not that much gunpowder, there shouldn't be a gunsmith's, but I feel like maybe a general store should exist with regular stuff from the A&E Guide, and maybe a small magic shop with basic survival-y type things (wands of Endure Elements, Create Water, etc).

Don't make survival magic too accessible; especially if you have a ranger in the party. The outdoors should feel oppressive; basic mundane supplies offer a good deal of flavor (and usefulness) but a party who needs not worry about shelter or water in the desert is a party that isn't going to remember they even went through one.

-People: As per the Wild West, I feel like people should be a good combination of sketchy and upstanding shopkeeps, with the occasional noble thrown in for whatever reason.

Good idea here, make sure you run down all your archetypes: the law man (noble or corrupt; your choice), the saloon girl who knows more about the town because of her trade, the mayor who dreams of a better position, the town big wigs, the business baron, etc, etc. Also, snake-oil salesmen alchemists (who's concoctions may or may not work as advertised), because I think we can all agree that'd be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

-Gunpowder & Magic & Outlaws: By the time the PCs get here, it's likely one or two of them might have a sidearm, and likely some of the richer sketch-folk will have them too - having a firearm will likely be a sign of status/respect. Far more common (but not all that common) would be mages, with similar attack-y spells. Much more common than either of those would be thugs - probably with a mage or a gunslinger at the top of a gang (heaven forbid the gang boss should be both). Since this is clearly going to be different from regular play (since roughly 1/3 of every party is casters), how do I make it apparent that maybe they shouldn't go around casting spells/shooting guns at things without outright saying it?

Make sure the common man doesn't understand either one; something a person can't understand is generally going to be looked down on, and sometimes reacted to violently. The PCs who have such tools should be aware that the NPCs 'don't want no trouble, because this is a simple town,' and that they aim to keep it that way. A law man who can bring a criminal armed with magic or a gun with only a sword or bow and his wits is the ultimate hero. If times are changing, you can make the majority of the people go along with it kicking and screaming.

Hope some of that was helpful!

panaikhan
2010-12-20, 08:16 AM
You can introduce a wild west flavour without firearms.
Our DM did it by 're-fluffing' pistol xbows as the sidearm of choice, even designing holsters that allowed people to prime & reload them with one hand (useful if you have rapid reload and TWF).

Deth Muncher
2010-12-21, 12:17 AM
1.That makes sense, but make the predominant race (most likely humans) pretty intolerant of others. The Wild West was as much about good ol' fashioned cultural insensitivity as it was about cattle drives and shootouts. 'Savages' like desert orcs or halfings aren't probably going to be trusted in most towns, looked down upon not unlike the natives or freed blacks of the West. Sure, people like having them around to do the dirty work, but you most certainly wouldn't want one dating your daughter.

2.See above; they may be tolerated (especially if they're the only person 'round these parts with decent supplies), but they're savages nonetheless.

3.Two possible ways to go about doing this: actually just playing normal card games (I've done this a few times). This helps get the PCs involved a little more and I feel is a bit more immersive than just simply dice rolls. Alternatively, created a simple betting game based around dice (which you should have a plethora of, I'm assuming). A more streamlined version of Liar's Dice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar%27s_dice) would work.

4.Don't make survival magic too accessible; especially if you have a ranger in the party. The outdoors should feel oppressive; basic mundane supplies offer a good deal of flavor (and usefulness) but a party who needs not worry about shelter or water in the desert is a party that isn't going to remember they even went through one.

5.Good idea here, make sure you run down all your archetypes: the law man (noble or corrupt; your choice), the saloon girl who knows more about the town because of her trade, the mayor who dreams of a better position, the town big wigs, the business baron, etc, etc. Also, snake-oil salesmen alchemists (who's concoctions may or may not work as advertised), because I think we can all agree that'd be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

6.Make sure the common man doesn't understand either one; something a person can't understand is generally going to be looked down on, and sometimes reacted to violently. The PCs who have such tools should be aware that the NPCs 'don't want no trouble, because this is a simple town,' and that they aim to keep it that way. A law man who can bring a criminal armed with magic or a gun with only a sword or bow and his wits is the ultimate hero. If times are changing, you can make the majority of the people go along with it kicking and screaming.

Hope some of that was helpful!
Numbered for ease of response.

1.I'm thinking Humans/Halflings/Gnomes be the "standard" races for the area, with all others (in their Desert forms exclusively) will be the "other" folk.

3. Liar's Dice is always fun, but I think if I just whipped out a deck of cards and started dealing it might be hilarious. The problem is that one of the PCs' backstory has her being rather skilled at wheeling and dealing, so how would you throw cheating into the real life game without ACTUALLY cheating?

4. No Ranger, but two Druids.

5. One of the PCs is the very kind of snake-oil salesman you suggest - it might be funny to see him interact with others of his kind.

I think 6 is covered below.

You can introduce a wild west flavour without firearms.
Our DM did it by 're-fluffing' pistol xbows as the sidearm of choice, even designing holsters that allowed people to prime & reload them with one hand (useful if you have rapid reload and TWF).

If I have more pistolesque crossbows, then it makes the transition to gunpowder that much easier - and it makes sense, then, that while the common man might have a bow & arrows or a crossbow if he's classy, the REAL power in town with have spells or guns.