PDA

View Full Version : Visiting NYC: Good Eats?

Amphetryon
2010-12-17, 05:27 AM
Off to New York City for a couple days with family, and they've asked me where I'd like to go for food. I mentioned Katz' Deli, but other than that, I'd be spitballing in the dark. Where would locals or regular visitors recommend heading for authentic NYC bagels? How about a real New York style pizza?

Ashtar
2010-12-17, 05:49 AM
Regular visitor here, For tea time, I suggest Alice's teacup (http://alicesteacup.com/).

Orzel
2010-12-17, 05:51 AM
Real New Yorkers will argue to death where the best bagels and pizza is.

The best pizza place I know of closed ten years ago. The next best thing is Difara (they say).
WARNING: A hour wait for a slice, line out the door, weird schedule. Very expensive. Is in Brooklyn.

That's why I never go there for lunch at work.

Kastanok
2010-12-17, 09:43 AM
Anywhere featured on Man Vs. Food.

Oh yeaaaah. One day I'll get a plane to America, road trip around it stopping off at everywhere that show featured. I'll die but I'll die happy.

Haruki-kun
2010-12-17, 11:34 AM
GO TO CENTRAL PERK!

Someone had to say it.

askandarion
2010-12-17, 11:57 AM
Pizza is gonna be all over the place depending on who you ask, and blood WILL run. Lil Frankie's in the East Village (1st and 1st), Patsy's (UWS, around 70? and maybe Columbus), Two Boots (can't remember locations), the places mentioned above, ANY local pizza joint in the city... Good luck with that one.

I'd also recommend Veniero's, at 11th Street and 1st Avenue, for their desserts and particularly their cheesecake. Veselka on 9th Street and 2nd Ave for Polish food (pierogis etc.). Heartland Brewery I'm particular to, though they are in the touristy locations (the one at Union Square and the one up in Times Square are particularly good). There's also HB Burgers near the Times Square location. Shake Shack if you visit Madison Square Park... Plenty others.

snoopy13a
2010-12-17, 01:34 PM
Just do a little research and go off the beaten path. You don't want to go to the touristy spots after all.

Now, the best NYC food are the steakhouses. Unfortunately, a meal at those places costs an arm and a leg.

SurlySeraph
2010-12-17, 03:23 PM
Good pizza is fairly easy to find. Two Boots is the only one of the above-mentioned ones I remember specifically; it's good.
The best bagels are at Lenny's Bagels, at 98th and Broadway, and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

arguskos
2010-12-17, 03:29 PM
Dunno about bagels or pizza, but when I visited NYC last, I found a pretty delicious burger joint over by FAO Schwartz, right near Central Park. The joint's called Pop Burger. A little pretentious, but damn delicious. :smallamused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-17, 03:32 PM
Just do a little research and go off the beaten path. You don't want to go to the touristy spots after all.

Now, the best NYC food are the steakhouses. Unfortunately, a meal at those places costs an arm and a leg.

OH MY GOD PETER LUGER. *Salivates*

Also, in Harlem there's a soul food restaurant called Sylvia's. It's really famous, and in my opinion lives up to the hype. Just telling you that it gets really busy during lunch. Locals, celebrities, politicians, and other important people go there too.

(Yeah, as much as I love animals I would NOT make a good vegetarian).

Also, Zabars is famous for a reason.

EDIT: Yes, I know that most of the time the touristy spots are not great. However, sometimes they're famous for a reason.

Also, did you know that there are actually quite a few Chinese Cubans? When many of them fled to the US, they opened up restaurants that served Chinese-Cuban medley food. Now there's only a few left. I don't remember the name, but it's definitely worth a look.

Syka
2010-12-17, 03:45 PM
This makes me very, very sad since I'll be moving to NYC, yet be a. broke and b. on a diet. :smallfrown:

Making an exception for Katz Deli, though. Had a cleaning lady at my school from Brooklyn recommend it for when I get up there. She just could NOT stop raving about it.

Water-Smurf
2010-12-17, 03:49 PM
Serendipities, but only if you make the reservation early or are willing to wait for a very long time. It's also pretty expensive, but it's the best dessert place in the world. Also, Dylan's Candy Bar. :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2010-12-17, 03:52 PM
Serendipities, but only if you make the reservation early or are willing to wait for a very long time. It's also pretty expensive, but it's the best dessert place in the world. Also, Dylan's Candy Bar. :smallbiggrin:

There was an informal study performed that showed that most NY maitre'ds would accept $100 for accelerated passage along the waiting list.

John Cribati
2010-12-17, 06:27 PM
I don't eat out alot a lot, honestly. But there's one place I do go on Fordham Road that makes the best sandwiches: New Hero City. Two blocks past Faculty Memorial Hall, blue awning. I recommend the Turkey Burger, if only because it's Turkey in a burger and that makes it awesome.

EDIT: Dear Got, the strikethrough is a bad image.

SurlySeraph
2010-12-17, 07:33 PM
OH MY GOD PETER LUGER. *Salivates*

Also, in Harlem there's a soul food restaurant called Sylvia's. It's really famous, and in my opinion lives up to the hype.

The ribs there are totally awesome, even by ribs standards.

Also, if you like Mexican food, there are tons of great places around the city, fitting a very wide range of price points.

Orzel
2010-12-17, 07:40 PM
Good pizza is fairly easy to find. Two Boots is the only one of the above-mentioned ones I remember specifically; it's good.
The best bagels are at Lenny's Bagels, at 98th and Broadway, and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Lenny's is pretty good.

Good NYC pizza is easy to find really. As long as the place is not a major chain and doesn't market to a specific skill of diet; the chances of finding good pizza is good.

Here's a few things I've learned.

If a restaurant's names starts with a First name or a Number, the food is usually good.

If you enter a restaurant and you see a old person who looks like they should have retired working, SOMETHING they serve is AWESOME!

If you are in a restaurant and you heard someone who works there shouting at someone else in a language you don't speak, ask another customer what is good there and get it.

arguskos
2010-12-17, 07:53 PM
If you are in a restaurant and you heard someone who works there shouting at someone else in a language you don't speak, ask another customer what is good there and get it.
Actually, this is just good sense anywhere. If you visit a place you've never been, always ask the locals what food is good around wherever you are. They're sure to know all the local hotspots. :smallbiggrin:

zeratul
2010-12-17, 11:18 PM
Well first off, it's New York City. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an amazing resteraunt of one kind or another. That said, some of my favourite places to eat there are the following

The Spot: 13 St. Marks Place
This is an awesome little asian inspired desert bar. It's not somewhere your going to go for a meal, but if you want a truly amazing cullinary experience while your in NYC I highly reccomend this place. The various deserts are always interesting both in terms of textures flavours and presentations, and no other desert place I've been to can compete.
Reccomendations: The Yuzu Eskimo (absolutely mind-blowing) and the spiced hot chocolate

A Salt and Battery: 112 Greenwich Avenue
This place is of course known for their fish an chips which are exceptional, but they also have a good array of other wonderfully unhealthy fried British inspired food. Not particularly expensive if memory serves me, and service is quick , so a great place to go if you want something fried and delicious.
Recommendations: Fish & Chips, fried mars bars, imported ginger beer

Pommes Frites Inc. : 123 2nd Ave
Slightly odd in that they only serve French fries, this place is still brilliant. The idea is that they have really well made freshly served fries, and then a million different inventive dipping sauces. It sounds weird, but trust me, this place kicks total ass. Plus a large thing of fries with the sauce is only $6.25
Recommendations: (sauces) Wild Mushroom, Rosemary & Garlic, Mango Chutney

Also, if you're interested in Italian food just go to the Bronx, throw a rock, and choose one of the many brilliant Italian resteraunts in that part of the city. The Italian bakeries are fantastic as well. Other places that have been recommended to me but I myself have not yet been to include The Fatty Crab and Shake Shack.

Amphetryon
2010-12-20, 10:06 AM
Back home now; had a great time by and large. Katz' Delicatessen was amazing; I likened the pastrami there to someone who grew up thinking that McDonald's was a hamburger, then going to a farm for a real hamburger for the first time. As a bonus, Bizarre Foods was filming there while we ate! Woo!

I was a little disappointed by the (famous and, in the interest of avoiding a flamewar, unnamed) bagel shop we went to. Partially, I was hoping for a crustier, chewier bagel than was available, and partially, I was hoping for a salt bagel with a shmear. Salt bagels were unavailable and the shmear was self-serve, so expectation-adjustment played a part there.

Syka
2010-12-20, 10:33 AM
zeratul, pretty much anywhere in the NJ/NY area will have amazing Italian bakeries. :smallbiggrin: When we first visited my Uncle in the Trenton area, he made sure that our first day there we went to the local bakery. So freaking good. But I'm biased, since I'm Italian. :smallwink:

Bah, now I want to take a trip up there to get me a real Philly cheesesteak from Philly (been about 5 years since I've had one) and some yummy NYC eats. I think I know what my Spring Break might be...

Tricycle_Knight
2010-12-20, 10:40 AM
Bah, now I want to take a trip up there to get me a real Philly cheesesteak from Philly (been about 5 years since I've had one) and some yummy NYC eats. I think I know what my Spring Break might be...

Syka, food trips are awesome and I wholeheartedly support your idea :smallbiggrin:

Though how long you've lived sans cheese, I won't know. Then again, I live outside Philly so it's a little different. :smalltongue:

Syka
2010-12-20, 10:46 AM
Syka, food trips are awesome and I wholeheartedly support your idea :smallbiggrin:

Though how long you've lived sans cheese, I won't know. Then again, I live outside Philly so it's a little different. :smalltongue:

'Cause I live in Florida, and it'd be really hard to find something that isn't blasphemy. :smalltongue: For about three years I was up in the Philly area, on the NJ side, each year for a couple weeks 'cause I dated a guy there. We broke up about 4 years or so ago, so it's been waaay too long since I've had my cheesesteak fix.

Since Boyfriend has never been to Philly, when we get up to NYC to live...I told him we've GOT to make a detour within the first couple months.

Now...the questions. First, sauce or provolone? Also, which shop? I've only been to this one on South Street, and was indoctrinated with the sauce. My mom swears on provolone. Can't remember the name of the shop for the life of me, but if I remember correctly, it had a black-and-white tile motif. Off to figure out the shop...>> Jim's Steaks. Next time I'm up there, I want to try Pat and Gino's, respectively. We just always ended up in the area around Jim's, lol.

Also, do you recall an Elvis-themed Mexican restaurant? Quick Google search turned up El Vez, which looks about right. Went there for Ex's graduation and it was fantastic.

Wow...sorry for the thread-jack. >>

Tricycle_Knight
2010-12-20, 10:57 AM
I suppose that's a good excuse.

I do prefer mine with provolone; anyone who tries to tell you to put cheese whiz on one is missing a few taste buds, in my opinion. Jim's is an excellent choice; that's one of the local favorites (Pat's and Geno's tend to be a little crowded if you're in a hurry). I won't try to influence your judgment on either one of those, though. The only thing I'll say is that they're both pretty aware of their status and they aren't afraid to throw it in your face.

No, I've never seen the Elvis-ican restaurant, but it sounds...interesting.

Syka
2010-12-20, 11:25 AM
Ugh, I'll stick to Jim's then. It was a nice, simple restaurant. Even when there was a huge line, it moved quick.

And I guess I'll give the provolone a try. The sauce was under recommendation from Ex's family, all native to the area. Gotta have the grilled onions on it though! No escaping that.

How bad is it I can't remember where we ate in NYC? All I remember is I demanded a slice of pizza, that's all I wanted, lol. Around lunch time, we just found a random pizza joint and it was delicious. We actually have a local place that is renowned in the area for it's NY style pizza. It helps that they are all from NYC. I bet they import the water. :smallwink: