PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Rogue (Again!)

Coy
2010-12-17, 11:17 AM
A subject that has been mentioned alot recently is psy rogues.

Sorry to dredge up the subject again, but what build advice can be given for a straight single class Psi-R, leveling from about 5 - 20?

It is a Forgotten Realms / Kingmaker / Pathfinder mishmash game. Pretty much all the 3.5 stuff is allowed but Realms/Pathfinder stuff preferred.

What powers should be cherry picked? I have never played a psionics class, but understand the system well enough to get by. I don't have any experience to fall back on related to what makes a great power great, and useful whether you put 1 or 20 power points into a manifestation.

Feats?

Heck, even race? Consider that my DM is pretty easygoing with houseruling alot of Races to be brought up to PF. Although since its magic/psi transparent, elves seem like a good choice for int/dex/+2 to overcome (spell/power) res.

Seems like a good class to go nuts with the imagination with.

Keld Denar
2010-12-17, 11:23 AM
Um, good races include things that are small. Small + Compression means you get massive size bonuses to hit and AC. So what if your daggers only do 1d1 damage, you have bonus damage and powers to augement that. Whisper Gnomes, Kobolds, Goblins, and Strongheart Halflings are among the best small races. Kobolds actually have Slight Build, the opposite of Powerful Build, so you could compress down to Fine size and count as Diminuative. Kobolds also have natural weapons, which gives them an edge over most other small races. Strongheart Halflings get a bonus feat, which is fun, and Whisper Gnomes and Goblins have decent stat mods and the benefit of 30' base movement speed as a small character.

For feats...Link Power (CPsi) is great for action economy buffing. PsiCrystal Affinity is often useful as well, especially if you take PsiCrystal Containment for 2 focuses. Psionic Meditation is also a boon. Roguey feats like Craven are handy as well. I'd suggest against TWFing, simply because you'll be super low on feats with all the psionic stuff, but if you do, Hustle is really nice for getting full attacks. Heck, Hustle is really good regardless...

Psyren
2010-12-17, 11:29 AM
This list (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19537882/What_Is_the_Most_Powerful_Psionic_Power) is mostly for psions, but you can apply it to Psyrogues; just eliminate the powers they don't get, and consider adding the really good ones they DO get with Expanded Knowledge.

Are you guys using the new Pathfinder Psionics Rules that were released the other day? Some of the powers/feats were changed.

Coy
2010-12-17, 11:36 AM
For some crazy reason, i cant even find Link Power in my CPsi - page? Sorry :smalltongue: Ahh you meant Linked Power. Gotcha.

Compression looks great. So up to two sizes smaller. Hmm.

Pathfinder, rules for psionics? News to me. Ill look it up now.

I know about that psion power guide. I guess its partly applicable, but naturally a psi-rogue who stick to theme will have a different objective for his powers than a psion. Not to say its fine to dip in here and there.

If you could say one or two more power suggestions to get me on the right track, or even better to take with Expanded Knowledge, that would be great.

And am i going nuts, or is there some way in PF to get INT to some ranged attack rolls? I think?

Flickerdart
2010-12-17, 11:52 AM
Um, good races include things that are small. Small + Compression means you get massive size bonuses to hit and AC. So what if your daggers only do 1d1 damage, you have bonus damage and powers to augement that. Whisper Gnomes, Kobolds, Goblins, and Strongheart Halflings are among the best small races. Kobolds actually have Slight Build, the opposite of Powerful Build, so you could compress down to Fine size and count as Diminuative. Kobolds also have natural weapons, which gives them an edge over most other small races. Strongheart Halflings get a bonus feat, which is fun, and Whisper Gnomes and Goblins have decent stat mods and the benefit of 30' base movement speed as a small character.

For feats...Link Power (CPsi) is great for action economy buffing. PsiCrystal Affinity is often useful as well, especially if you take PsiCrystal Containment for 2 focuses. Psionic Meditation is also a boon. Roguey feats like Craven are handy as well. I'd suggest against TWFing, simply because you'll be super low on feats with all the psionic stuff, but if you do, Hustle is really nice for getting full attacks. Heck, Hustle is really good regardless...
The problem with Compressing to Tiny is that you need a reach weapon of some sort, which means you either need to drop a feat on EWP or not be able to Finesse.

Keld Denar
2010-12-17, 12:11 PM
Reach weapons actually don't work with Compression. By definition, a reach weapon doubles your natural reach. Creatures smaller than small have a reach of 0 ft. 0' x 2 = 0 ft.

The way to get around this would be something that arbitrarily gives you +5' reach, like Inhuman Reach or Willing Deformity (Tall). Then your reach would be 0' + 5' = 5 ft.

Otherwise, taking a feat like Underfoot Combat will allow you to enter an enemy's square and attack them from there, or the Giantkiller tactical feat will let you climb aboard a foe and stab at them Shadow's of the Collosus style.

Mongoose87
2010-12-17, 12:12 PM
Get yourself Craven, so your slower Sneak Attack progression hardly matters.

Psyren
2010-12-17, 12:18 PM
Pathfinder, rules for psionics? News to me. Ill look it up now.

The splat is called Psionics Unleashed. It was done by Dreamscarred Press, the folks behind the amazing Untapped Potential supplement.

I know about that psion power guide. I guess its partly applicable, but naturally a psi-rogue who stick to theme will have a different objective for his powers than a psion. Not to say its fine to dip in here and there.

If you could say one or two more power suggestions to get me on the right track, or even better to take with Expanded Knowledge, that would be great.

Hmmm... level 5 means 1 2nd-level power and 3 first-level. I recommend:

2nd Control Sound (many uses, see below)
1st #1: Compression (gives more awesome, and your thrown weapons return to normal size mid-flight.)
1st #2: Empty Mind: Not only are you harder to detect by some enemies, this can be used to offset Craven.
1st #3:Bolt if you use ranged weapons, for a +1 enhancement bonus at first-level. Augments well as you progress.

You can also consider Control Light (helpful for hiding the entire party) Burst for a speed boost (and to use your swift action), and Dimensional Pocket if you're in a more social situation where hiding weapons is important.

Control Sound has lots of utility, especially for the scout. Sneak the whole party past guards, scare the sentry away or trick him into checking the empty corridor while you all get by, and you can even snap your fingers to generate a Shatter effect on some objects.

And am i going nuts, or is there some way in PF to get INT to some ranged attack rolls? I think?

Have you looked here? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

The problem with Compressing to Tiny is that you need a reach weapon of some sort, which means you either need to drop a feat on EWP or not be able to Finesse.

Or just be a ranged rogue.

Coy
2010-12-17, 02:44 PM
The splat is called Psionics Unleashed. It was done by Dreamscarred Press, the folks behind the amazing Untapped Potential supplement.

Hmmm... level 5 means 1 2nd-level power and 3 first-level. I recommend:

2nd Control Sound (many uses, see below)
1st #1: Compression (gives more awesome, and your thrown weapons return to normal size mid-flight.)
1st #2: Empty Mind: Not only are you harder to detect by some enemies, this can be used to offset Craven.
1st #3:Bolt if you use ranged weapons, for a +1 enhancement bonus at first-level. Augments well as you progress.

You can also consider Control Light (helpful for hiding the entire party) Burst for a speed boost (and to use your swift action), and Dimensional Pocket if you're in a more social situation where hiding weapons is important.

Control Sound has lots of utility, especially for the scout. Sneak the whole party past guards, scare the sentry away or trick him into checking the empty corridor while you all get by, and you can even snap your fingers to generate a Shatter effect on some objects.

Have you looked here? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Or just be a ranged rogue.

Good stuff. But as the Int to Damage (on ranged attacks) i was talking about is PF (Pathfinder) it isnt in the list you linked. A good table though.

Craven i guess is a must have after all.