PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Race you hate.

Pages : 1 [2]

Kalebold
2010-12-19, 05:01 AM
Drow
Just PF drow in this case. It just seems a little silly is all. When asked about sub-races some PF writers said they didn't like them because they seemed a little racist. Then comes the drow who (Second Darkness Spoilers)Only exist when an elf becomes truely evil. Bascially, if you're an elf in Golarian and very, very naughty, your skin turns black. How the writers managed to slip that one under the radar is beyond me.

Hi just feel I need to point out some misconceptions here. One I don't recall any of the writers mentioning anything about subraces being racist
Two Golarion Drow are not black there actually a dark purple/dark blue colour

Nero24200
2010-12-19, 06:06 AM
Hi just feel I need to point out some misconceptions here. One I don't recall any of the writers mentioning anything about subraces being racist
Two Golarion Drow are not black there actually a dark purple/dark blue colour

Here is a link to the topic (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/paizo/lackOfPCRaceVariantsInBestiary)

To quote "But in Pathfinder, their racial modifiers and abilities are pretty much identical. We chose this route partially from customer feedback, but primarily because of our own preference. It's kind of stupid and more than a little racist, I think, to assign different abilities to different human ethnicities in the same way it's stupid to assign different abilities by gender. That's not the type of game we wanted to present to the world. And since we didn't detail different game stats for different types of humans, it made no sense to do something different for the demihumans."

Also, the dark purple/blue colour could simply be how the artists draw them. In many drow featuring physical descriptions they usally say "dark" or "black" skin, and in some peices of artwork (though I'm not sure this applies to PF art) there are drow images with skin that is jet black.

http://simplymenotu.com/files/characterimages/lone_drow_det01.jpg

Now, while the PF artwork shows a more bluish tint, the fluff text in the PSRD still says "dark", not "blue", so saying that drow have black skin is not untrue in PF.

Wulfram
2010-12-19, 09:07 AM
Humans, because they invariably hog 90% of the setting.

Volthawk
2010-12-19, 09:13 AM
I am adding Sorcerers as a race that I hate, as they are all related :P

Wait, since when were sorcerers a race? Do you mean dragonblooded races?

Also, on the warforged thing: Warforged only take up to a maximum of 12 years to learn any class. Warforged Fighters can be ready from 1-6 years of creation (strangely, they seem to learn complex classes quicker than simple ones). Humans? 16-22 years after birth.

Weimann
2010-12-19, 11:03 AM
As opposed to some earlier posters, I really dig the shorter folk, halflings in particular. I've always liked the idea of a stealthy, speedy, dexterous rogue that only reached to your waist. People may laugh, but they don't realise you are at the perfect height to punch them in their unmentionables.

I have problems with races that live unnaturally long. It's just a concept that I have a hard time grasping; how would such creatures behave? It's hard to imagine with any certainty. Also, in the name of game balance, they need to match other character's starting levels, meaning a 16 year old human is as skilled as a 100 year old whatever (and, on the flip side, races who live short lives, such as half-orcs, are among the smartest since they pick up the basics of stuff around age 12, go figure). That just stretches my suspension of disbelief painfully thin.

All in all, in D&D I find race to be overplayed. Why not just make a difference between ethical groups? Different types of societies and customs will make people different without them having to belong to a different race.

Morithias
2010-12-19, 11:15 AM
Wait, since when were sorcerers a race? Do you mean dragonblooded races?

Also, on the warforged thing: Warforged only take up to a maximum of 12 years to learn any class. Warforged Fighters can be ready from 1-6 years of creation (strangely, they seem to learn complex classes quicker than simple ones). Humans? 16-22 years after birth.

On warforged for me too. I also have to point out that unless you human army of fighters reaches epic levels fast enough to endlessly take that feat that increase maximum age eventually you'll lose your best forces and have to replace them.

Warforged never age, there is no "end". No spell can bring back a creature that died of old age, but there is no permanent end for a warforged.

Both sides have their advantages, particularly in espionage the human will win. Being a machine isn't exactly something easy to hide.

Incanur
2010-12-19, 11:31 AM
Also, in the name of game balance, they need to match other character's starting levels, meaning a 16 year old human is as skilled as a 100 year old whatever (and, on the flip side, races who live short lives, such as half-orcs, are among the smartest since they pick up the basics of stuff around age 12, go figure). That just stretches my suspension of disbelief painfully thin.

Agreed. Human commoners and their cat-fearing ways are bad enough. The notion of elf and drow commoners makes want to laugh and/or cry.

Esser-Z
2010-12-19, 12:33 PM
One word, only one word.

KENDER

Lord Raziere
2010-12-19, 02:43 PM
All in all, in D&D I find race to be overplayed. Why not just make a difference between ethical groups? Different types of societies and customs will make people different without them having to belong to a different race.

yea, I hate that too. I mean I would still fantasy races, it just that I would prefer something more like Eberron where the conflict is nation vs nation instead of race vs. race, like a nation of reformed orcs fighting against a nation of traditional orcs.

Guancyto
2010-12-19, 02:57 PM
I don't actually hate elves.

One of the things about Tolkien's elves that everybody seems to forget is that they were dying out, and unlike in generic settings they knew it (and especially unlike generic settings, it was really their own stupid fault, and they knew that too). They may have had a longer life and a longer culture than you, but their song had been sung and they knew it and soon there would be no elves in Middle-Earth. They didn't rub their superiority in your noses because by and large, they had lost. And sure there were super-powerful, ageless beings with wisdom of eons past. There were also maybe four or five of them.

The "always better than you" elves seem to come from the fanboys, and probably from having removed them from a setting where they basically pissed away everything they had. Giving them all the advantages while removing all their drawbacks, as it were. And those elves, well. I'll burn down their forest any day.

gkathellar
2010-12-19, 03:07 PM
It's also worth noting that in both Tolkein and the mythology he was drawing from, elves (and dwarves to a lesser extent in Tolkein) were genuinely semi-divine beings who weren't really meant to mesh well with humanity. Sure, LotR had an elf and a dwarf in the party, but in-setting that only served to highlight the immense gravity of the situation.

snoopy13a
2010-12-19, 04:00 PM
I have problems with races that live unnaturally long. It's just a concept that I have a hard time grasping; how would such creatures behave? It's hard to imagine with any certainty. Also, in the name of game balance, they need to match other character's starting levels, meaning a 16 year old human is as skilled as a 100 year old whatever (and, on the flip side, races who live short lives, such as half-orcs, are among the smartest since they pick up the basics of stuff around age 12, go figure). That just stretches my suspension of disbelief painfully thin.

Brain development differs in animals so it is plausible that a human would reach mental maturity at a different age than an elf. For example, it might be because elves' go through their cognitive stages slower. A fifty-year-old elf may not have developed abstract reasoning whereas humans develop that around 11-13. So, a 50 year-old elf or a dwarf may simply be a child longer, and thus, incapible of passing high school algebra :smalltongue: , and that is actually plausible. Conversely, a half-orc might develop abstract reasoning at 7-8. There's no rule that other fanasty races must have similiar physical and mental development with humans.

The main issue comes with mental abilities during adulthood. Humans have a relatively short maximium intelligence capacity. Basically, cognitive ability starts to decline in the late 20s. This is why many mathematicians and physicists do their best work young. Compounded is the problem that it usually takes until one's mid-to-late 20s to gain the foundational knowledge needed to make advances. So, a human mathematician may only have a prime of a few years. After that, human scientists are trying to use their wealth of experience to compensate for their natural cognitive decline. Conversely, academics in the humanities tend to do their best work later in life as the cognitive decline isn't as significant in those fields and they benefit from years of knowledge.

However, an elf mathematician would have a prime of 30-40 years. Thus, elf thinkers would benefit both from maximium cognitive abilities and a wealth of experience. Thus, elf and dwarf societies ought to be much more advanced as their great thinkers have more time to work.

Cisturn
2010-12-19, 04:44 PM
Believe it or not but there's a pixie in my party that I can't stand. While there viable magical creatures, having a party member that's constantly playing tricks and being generally unhelpful is really starting to get old.

Drakevarg
2010-12-19, 04:52 PM
Believe it or not but there's a pixie in my party that I can't stand. While there viable magical creatures, having a party member that's constantly playing tricks and being generally unhelpful is really starting to get old.

Is the pixie's name Feiht? :smalltongue:

Psyren
2010-12-19, 09:27 PM
I love the 4e races, and not just because LA and stat penalties are a thing of the past. Eladrin, for instance, are the only elves I'd be interested in playing. Sure they're still snooty, but they're so otherworldly that they're almost outsiders and thus deserve to be.

The exception are 4e Drow, as the FRPG recommends making all Drow PCs into Drizz't clones. :smallyuk:

Sang Real
2010-12-19, 09:42 PM
I love the 4e races, and not just because LA and stat penalties are a thing of the past.
Ditto. I especially love the three elven subraces; one for the Feywild, one for the mortal world, and I put drow in the Shadowfell, just to p!ss off the drow fangirls. (I'm sure there are drow fanboys too, but I've never met one.)

I now have a drow and a half-drow in my group, and not only do they kick butt, but I like them too!

Zeta Kai
2010-12-19, 09:59 PM
It's much easier for me to just list the races I do like:
Elan, gnomes, humans, kobolds, & thri-kreen.

Everything else ranges from "meh" to "purge it."

I would play in a setting with just those races. That would be pretty cool, I think.

true_shinken
2010-12-19, 10:32 PM
I love the 4e races
So you like lizards with boobs, you say?

Zeta Kai
2010-12-19, 10:33 PM

Science has proven that you can improve anything by putting boobs on it. Anything.

Sang Real
2010-12-19, 10:56 PM
Just because so many gamers get in a twit over dragonboob fluff, YES! If I could date dragonboobs IRL, I would. If I could marry dragonboobs IRL, I would. If I could love dragonboobs IRL, I would, just because it'd throw so many gamers in a twit!

Jeez, it's like mentioning fake boobs at a feminist convention.

Amphetryon
2010-12-19, 10:59 PM
Pretty much every variety of 'civilized' elf can just go away, in my opinion.

arpin
2010-12-19, 11:02 PM
I dislike elves, but they are good villains so I can't say that.

I think I really hate any race without multiple possible alignments.

Of course, D&D actually makes it possible to turn even these into anything you want.........

Coidzor
2010-12-20, 12:18 AM
Science has proven that you can improve anything by putting boobs on it. Anything.

Blibdoolpoolp for example.

Lord.Sorasen
2010-12-20, 01:59 AM

I'm going to be completely honest and say I was just very slightly disappointed to find that wasn't a link.

On note: Did 4e ever try a hand at thri-kreen? They are awesome in 3.5 but the LA and creature levels made it sort of hard to play one.

PS: I can't help but feel it a bit weird when an animal-like race is a druid, and takes that animal as an animal companion. Currently my group has a Hadozee considering an ape as an animal companion. Tell me that isn't weird.

Nero24200
2010-12-20, 03:20 AM

I actually found the lizard-boob thing hilarious. I've seen plenty of people widely accept strange creatures reproducing and having the strangest off-spring and allowing chain-mail bikinis, but a lizard-person with boobs is where they draw the line?

Trekkin
2010-12-20, 05:16 AM
PS: I can't help but feel it a bit weird when an animal-like race is a druid, and takes that animal as an animal companion. Currently my group has a Hadozee considering an ape as an animal companion. Tell me that isn't weird.

No weirder than a Tibbit wizard with a cat familiar.

As for the races I can't stand...warforged, tieflings, Vasharan and Hellbred. I like the concepts, but the fluff tries to hand you a particular form of existential angst to roleplay, so they end up being either repeats of the same stereotypes or repeats of the inversions of those stereotypes, and in either case players seem to take the race as a licence to act Chaotic Stupid. Five minutes after entering a town, the Hellbred is hacking up pickpockets, the Vasharan is lighting the church on fire, the Tiefling is pickpocketing the Hellbred and robbing the church, and the warforged is dipping his fingers in the resulting blood and wondering what it's like to bleed.

Yora
2010-12-20, 06:39 AM
If you play warforged angsty, you're doing it wrong! :smallbiggrin:

They are, literally, killing machines.

Zen Master
2010-12-20, 06:44 AM
Personally I truly find the new races in DnD 4e to be loathsome - with a special hatred reserved for dragonborn, possibly because another thing in fantasy I simply cannot stomach is dragons.

Amiel
2010-12-20, 06:46 AM
I actually don't mind kender all that much; the world needs its fair share of kleptomaniacs. Makes life all the more interesting as it should be with all things.
Gnomes though, are only good for tossing.

Karuth
2010-12-20, 06:50 AM
Drow.
Especially Drow PCs.
And even more: good Drow PCs.

Other than that, I am pretty open ^^

Yora
2010-12-20, 06:54 AM
I don't see the problem with dragonborn. To me they are just yellow lizardfolk. And lizardfolk fighters are cool! :smallbiggrin:
Though I never played 4e or read the fluff for dragonborn.

Weimann
2010-12-20, 07:51 AM
Brain development differs in animals so it is plausible that a human would reach mental maturity at a different age than an elf. For example, it might be because elves' go through their cognitive stages slower. A fifty-year-old elf may not have developed abstract reasoning whereas humans develop that around 11-13. So, a 50 year-old elf or a dwarf may simply be a child longer, and thus, incapible of passing high school algebra :smalltongue: , and that is actually plausible. Conversely, a half-orc might develop abstract reasoning at 7-8. There's no rule that other fanasty races must have similiar physical and mental development with humans.

The main issue comes with mental abilities during adulthood. Humans have a relatively short maximium intelligence capacity. Basically, cognitive ability starts to decline in the late 20s. This is why many mathematicians and physicists do their best work young. Compounded is the problem that it usually takes until one's mid-to-late 20s to gain the foundational knowledge needed to make advances. So, a human mathematician may only have a prime of a few years. After that, human scientists are trying to use their wealth of experience to compensate for their natural cognitive decline. Conversely, academics in the humanities tend to do their best work later in life as the cognitive decline isn't as significant in those fields and they benefit from years of knowledge.

However, an elf mathematician would have a prime of 30-40 years. Thus, elf thinkers would benefit both from maximium cognitive abilities and a wealth of experience. Thus, elf and dwarf societies ought to be much more advanced as their great thinkers have more time to work.That is a fair point, in fact. It enforces my first point, however; I have a really hard time getting into their heads.

gkathellar
2010-12-20, 08:08 AM
On note: Did 4e ever try a hand at thri-kreen? They are awesome in 3.5 but the LA and creature levels made it sort of hard to play one.

They're in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, where they're quite awesome.

However, an elf mathematician would have a prime of 30-40 years. Thus, elf thinkers would benefit both from maximium cognitive abilities and a wealth of experience. Thus, elf and dwarf societies ought to be much more advanced as their great thinkers have more time to work.

I don't buy this argument about long-lived races. If they have a longer development time than we do and no advanced technology to support them along the way, they're not going to succeed.

Development time is a resources expenditure. If 50-year old elves haven't developed abstract reasoning, then elves will fail as a species, because they have to support their children for more than 50 years before they can be even vaguely productive members of society. And if one of those children dies young, bang, 50+ years of effort and resources down the drain. Humans are already pushing it with our protracted growth period, but if elves aren't adults until 50+ years have passed they will fail as a species. And by the PHB, they aren't adults until 100+ years have passed.

Beyond this, keep in mind that most scientific (broadly speaking) advancement is rarely the result of solitary genius, even in cases where it appears to be. It's the result of many, many people's efforts accumulating over time. If humans are producing more people at a faster clip than elves are, humans will have more scientists/magicians/researchers/whatever, allowing for a greater accumulation of knowledge as many people learn many things, and as a result will have a more advanced society.

Psyren
2010-12-20, 09:45 AM

They have quite a bit of angst, actually - one of the main sources for it is wondering whether or not they really have souls.

@ long-lived races - Races of the Wild implies that Elves aren't foolish, so much as frivolous during their early years. It takes them a long time to develop the focus (rather than the intelligence) required to leave the woods or their homes and become adventurers. It is this flighty and inconstant nature that makes them tend towards Chaotic, and also frustrates Dwarves to no end when they consider the amount of time Elves waste on being Elvish.

Emmerask
2010-12-20, 10:06 AM
That should be really easy to find out though, just reincarnate/raise dead a killed warforged, if he is reincarnated/revived warforged have a soul :smalltongue:

Psyren
2010-12-20, 10:25 AM
That should be really easy to find out though, just reincarnate/raise dead a killed warforged, if he is reincarnated/revived warforged have a soul :smalltongue:

They can be raised, which is typically used as the argument that yes, they do have souls. But many people/groups in Eberron do not consider that to be conclusive evidence (including the Church of the Silver Flame.)

Acanous
2010-12-20, 11:00 AM
Hate Drow. Hate hate hate.
Run into nothing but the "I'm going to backstab the party for lulz" drow or the lesbian dominatrix drow (Played by a male, of course).
Most of my characters kill them on sight. Drow are notorious liars and schemers, and it even says in their entry that a L/G character can be expected to KoS drow.

I have one tiefling that's worked out pretty good for me actually, a legacy character.
Her grandmother got cursed by a thayvian wizard, because her grandfather was a rival wizard- so their first child was a half-fiend, and caused sterility. The Illusionist and Bard in the party mindraped everyone involved (Including the baby) to believe that the birth was normal and the child human. Then the illusionist cast Perminant Image to make the baby LOOK human :p

So when he grew up and had kids, his daughter was a tiefling. Of course, being born in undermountain and raised by a family of wizards...

She ended up leaving for the surface around 22, to become a court magister.
The party still has no idea she's a tiefling. People who DO start to find out generally tend to end up dead.

Oddly, this isn't because I'm killing them off. :p

She hasn't backstabbed the party at all, in fact she took a Gaes from the BBEG in order to save them.
But yeah, she's evil. Lawful evil. Enemies of the state get all the crafty, scheming plots directed at them. She's loyal to the king :p

Morph Bark
2010-12-20, 11:13 AM
Funny how most of the fantasy race hate directed towards the more commonly "evil" races is mostly because of how they're played by many people. I find this hilarious especially because the only time such a race has come up in campaigns I've played in, it was me playing a Half-Fiend Drow. Ironically perhaps, he was the one who fit the easiest into society. :smalltongue:

Personally, I never really got to like the Gnolls (though the Flinds redeemed their lesser kin for me), nor Lizardfolk really (though as with Flinds, the Poisondusk I liked more). Troglodytes also. And while I never got why there's both Gnomes and Halflings, it doesn't bother me so much.

Threeshades
2010-12-20, 11:20 AM
I actually don't like halflings. There is no need for them, they are just small humans after all... Not very mystical >.>

That's an interesting thing to say when elves are just humans with pointy ears and a good health care system and dwarves are just short hairy humans.

I don't hate any race, they're all good food for goblins :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2010-12-20, 12:13 PM
They have quite a bit of angst, actually - one of the main sources for it is wondering whether or not they really have souls.
Yes, but you can handle this as a philosophical and scientific problem, it does not have to force them into extential doubt and self loathing.
Do you know the Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell? They are robots who know they don't have a soul, but within the show they are the embodiment of courage, friendship, and couriosity, even though they don't understand what these concepts are.
If you want to you can make warforged to be mired in self doubt and insecurity. But I think the concept much rather lends itself to a race that accepts its unique nature and is proud of what they are, and fights for a good cause not because they worry what they gain from it, but because they understand it's a good cause and that's all that matters to them. Don't know why, but I just can't imagine a chaotic or evil warforged.

Mordokai
2010-12-20, 12:52 PM
Lord of Blades?

PersonMan
2010-12-20, 02:29 PM
[snipAs for the races I can't stand...[snip]Hellbred.

[snip]

What I never understood about Hellbred is why the deities who're going "hmmm, I'm not sure he really is good, or if he's just bluffing to get out of torture..." don't just put up a Detect Lies and ask the guy "Are you repenting to get out of torture rather than really realizing the error of your ways?" Problem solved.

I've never used them, but that always bothered me.

Sang Real
2010-12-20, 02:42 PM
That's an interesting thing to say when elves are just humans with pointy ears and a good health care system.
So, elves are just Frenchies with pointy ears? It all makes sense now!

Sipex
2010-12-20, 03:28 PM
My first edition was 4e so all the core races are fine with me.

Previously though I hated elves because of Tolkien (Damn perfect pansies who can do anything including out drink a dwarf. Ridiculous.)

Now?

I think I hate...augh, can't remember their names. The green skinned people which are in the PHB3 for 4e. Everyone goes on and on about how awesome they are.

Mordaenor
2010-12-20, 03:56 PM
What race do I hate? I hate the race where they use bizarre chariot-like hover machines and the race gets won by 9 year old kids who aren't even old enough to drive but can some how pilot starships with zero amount of training, in movies that are poorly written, directed, and acted and... oh, is that not what you meant?

Sipex
2010-12-20, 03:57 PM
In soviet naboo, starship pilots you!

Trekkin
2010-12-20, 04:10 PM
My first edition was 4e so all the core races are fine with me.

Previously though I hated elves because of Tolkien (Damn perfect pansies who can do anything including out drink a dwarf. Ridiculous.)

Now?

I think I hate...augh, can't remember their names. The green skinned people which are in the PHB3 for 4e. Everyone goes on and on about how awesome they are.

Eladrin? I always considered them elves with the serial numbers filed off and replaced with a diagram on how to teleport.

senrath
2010-12-20, 04:11 PM
What I never understood about Hellbred is why the deities who're going "hmmm, I'm not sure he really is good, or if he's just bluffing to get out of torture..." don't just put up a Detect Lies and ask the guy "Are you repenting to get out of torture rather than really realizing the error of your ways?" Problem solved.

I've never used them, but that always bothered me.

That's not the thing with Hellbred. They all genuinely repented for their crimes/sins/whatever. It's just that they repented too late.

Sipex
2010-12-20, 04:12 PM
Nono, not Eladrin, I'm fine with them.

The race I'm thinking of was originally just a race in the Monster Manual (actually, there are two races. The martial and magical versions basically)

AugustNights
2010-12-20, 05:12 PM
Half-Elves

Also see the Half-Elf monster listing.

* Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
* Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
* Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
* +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
* Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
* Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.
I used to hate these.
Then they made the Scar Enforcer, who hates these guys more than I do, and is one.
Now I love these guys.

They are, literally, killing machines.

I once played a non-angsty non-killing machine one.
Her name was Lib, and she believed herself to be a human.
She kept a cat inside her mechanical drawer chest, and was accidently a staute outside of a wizard's school for a few hundred years, when she was 'sleeping.'
She also believed she had a drinking problem, derived from her enjoyment of the 'taste' of the drink.

Oh most certainly.
Not even apologetically.
Which would be expected.

Chaelos
2010-12-20, 06:34 PM
Halflings and gnomes. I've never seen any, in any D&D campaign or CRPG, that weren't utterly insufferable.

Coidzor
2010-12-20, 07:32 PM

They are, literally, godless killing machines.

Fixed that for you.

...Wait. Guys. I just realized something. (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/210979/december-01-2008/exclusive---godless-killing-machines-mash-up)

Sang Real
2010-12-20, 07:40 PM
Githzerai, and their evil twin race, the githyanki.

Oh most certainly.
Not even apologetically.
Which would be expected.
Whatever else we might say about the french, they put our medicine to shame. :smallfrown:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-12-20, 08:14 PM
I still have a fondness for elves-raised-as-dwarves because they laugh in the face of stereotypes whilst still being one.
Man, I wish they used this stereotype more often. I'm thinking of playing this in my next game.

One thing I enjoy about the Pathfinder setting is that it actually attempts to justify some of these things. The elven subraces are adaptations to the environments they live in, showing their connection to nature. Gnomes constantly seek new experiences to stave off the effects of basically killer boredom. They even give humans a backstory by having them be the survivors of an Atlantis-like culture that was destroyed by its hidden aboleth masters, founding several different empires and whatnot. Pathfinder seems to be proving that Tropes Are Not Bad (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools?from=Main.TropesAreNotbad), even in D&D.

Amiel
2010-12-20, 08:17 PM

They also speak with Received Pronunciation (or a parody thereof). This is why they hate themselves.

Skeppio
2010-12-29, 10:02 AM
Okay, fantasy races I hate:

Elves (every single subtype in existence, minus Wild and Wood Elves)
Half-Elves
Drow
Gnomes
Halflings
Githyanki
Neogi
Maenads
Illumian
Azurins
Dusklings
Rilkans
Skarns
Spellscales
Hill Giants
Tieflings
Buommans
Spikers
Driders
Kuo-Toa
Aventi
Asheratis
Hellbred
Neanderthals
Lamia
Elans
Half-Giants
Xephs
Shadowswyfts
Sharakim

I may have missed a few.

Sipex
2010-12-29, 10:59 AM
Githzerai, and their evil twin race, the githyanki.

YES! Thank you!

They piss me off.

Kish
2012-06-28, 11:06 AM
Humans.

As generic as white bread, as ubiquitous as cockroaches. Instead of having a social niche, they run everything just because they do. They're equally good at everything. Their roleplaying notes amounts to, "You have more personality than everyone else, although of course every individual dwarf/halfling/elf/etc. we write will either have as much personality as any human character we'd write, or we'll be trying to use human flavor text as an excuse for poor writing!" Hate. Flames. On the side of my face.