PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shielding Weapon Property Questions

Adamantrue
2010-12-17, 02:31 PM
So, I wanted to play around with a Shielding Weapon (MIC), but I'm confused about a few aspects.

1) If I have an Ethereal Reaver Shielding Short Sword +4, and I change it into a Heavy Shield, does it still have the Ethereal Reaver property?

2) If it does keep the Ethereal Reaver property, does that mean its Shield bonus to AC applies against Incorporeal Touch Attacks in addition to/instead of being a Ghost Touch Weapon?

Gamer Girl
2010-12-19, 03:19 PM
What book is MIC?

arguskos
2010-12-19, 03:26 PM
What book is MIC?
Magic Item Compendium.

EDIT: On a strict reading, no to #1 and #2 is irrelevant. It only says it keeps the enhancement bonus. As a DM, I'd be fine ruling otherwise however, since it doesn't make a lot of sense (and because said strict reading doesn't actually have a way to turn it back into a weapon >_>).

Adamantrue
2010-12-19, 03:28 PM
Magic Item Compendium. Sorry, I thought that the abbreviation was common knowledge.

Incidentally...thanks for digging this back up. I figured this was a lost cause...

Gamer Girl
2010-12-19, 03:38 PM
So, I wanted to play around with a Shielding Weapon (MIC), but I'm confused about a few aspects.

1) If I have an Ethereal Reaver Shielding Short Sword +4, and I change it into a Heavy Shield, does it still have the Ethereal Reaver property?

2) If it does keep the Ethereal Reaver property, does that mean its Shield bonus to AC applies against Incorporeal Touch Attacks in addition to/instead of being a Ghost Touch Weapon?

1)Sure You'd have a Ethereal Reaver shield. So you could see invisible and shield bash ghosts.

2)No, not by RAW. The weapon 'Ghost Touch' only 'deals normal damage vs incorporeal creatures'. That does not help an Ac bonus at all. The armor/shield 'ghost touch' and the weapon 'ghost touch' are separate abilities. But you could combine the two or just say the magic changed.

Adamantrue
2010-12-19, 04:03 PM
Drats...in that case...

3) How would I enchant the package so that it is a Ghost Touch Shield, if it can be done? If its an Ethereal Reaver Shielding Short Sword +3, can I pay the appropriate cost for Ghost Touch as though it was a +3 Shield?

arguskos
2010-12-19, 04:13 PM
Drats...in that case...

3) How would I enchant the package so that it is a Ghost Touch Shield, if it can be done? If its an Ethereal Reaver Shielding Short Sword +3, can I pay the appropriate cost for Ghost Touch as though it was a +3 Shield?
There's no RAW answer. I guess the closest you can get is "while it's in shield form, you go and get it enchanted with ghost touch", but there's no indication it'll stick during transformations.