PDA

View Full Version : Greater teleport and material plane

John Doe
2010-12-17, 03:18 PM
So on a material plane with multiple worlds, per the description of the greater teleport spell, one would be able to teleport between these worlds if said person has knowledge of a particular location on another planet right?

I'm trying to create a group of marooned spacefarers when their spelljamming ship crashed on the campaign world. Their suppose to have been there for generations, but I'm realizing that likely, they could just teleport home or at least have someone teleport home for help shortly after they crashed.

Trying to figure out if there's a way for these people to be stranded without doing something cheesy like having a magical field surrounding the world that prevents people from teleporting on or off world.

kestrel404
2010-12-17, 03:41 PM
Spelljamming ships aren't always bound to a single plane. In fact, I was under the impression that it's usually the opposite.

Also, perhaps it's an exploring ship, going to alternate prime materials (as there are supposed to be an infinite number of them)? That way, they're NOT on the same plane.

Psyren
2010-12-17, 03:52 PM
My Spelljammer is spotty at best, but I thought planets were planes? No?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-12-17, 04:10 PM
So on a material plane with multiple worlds, per the description of the greater teleport spell, one would be able to teleport between these worlds if said person has knowledge of a particular location on another planet right?

Greater Teleport was written on the assumption of there being only one world. Your the DM so simply rule that teleport has an unlimited range in regards to the planet but not the cosmos.

Or simply have something in on the planet that prevents people from teleporting out, this gives a campaign hook to find and destroy the artifact.

Claudius Maximus
2010-12-17, 04:40 PM
If you are in a space-like setting though, where the planets are not separated by any special metaphysical barriers, then I'm fairly sure the answer is yes, since Greater Teleport doesn't care about distance, the only thing separating the planets.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-19, 03:17 PM
Greater teleport does say 'no range limit', but it's perfectly releasable to limit it to a single planet.

The easy trick is to have no spellcaster in the ship crash party. Or one of too low a level. Or one that lost their memory.

If you want the Ye Old School version: Each Solar System is encased in a massive Crystal Sphere. Each sphere is, in fact it's own 'prime material plane'. So teleport can only get you from place to place within a single sphere.

You could also to the Older Then Dirt Teleport Dirty Trick: So Jella has 'studied carefully hr garden to teleport back to as needed when adventuring. How do you stop that from happening? Destroy the garden! Or rebuild the garden into a parking lot! Then she can't teleport back to a place she no longer knows.

You could always say 'something blocked' the teleport. (Ever watch Star Trek?) Just say a 'Cosmic Storm' is brewing and they can't teleport through it.

tyckspoon
2010-12-19, 03:35 PM
You could always say 'something blocked' the teleport. (Ever watch Star Trek?) Just say a 'Cosmic Storm' is brewing and they can't teleport through it.

I'd probably tie that back to the reason the ship crashed in the first place. They were 'sailing' too much in uncharted space, and got caught up in an astral/magical storm that knocked out a vital component and forced a landing on the nearest solid ground. The crew figured they'd ride out the storm, make repairs, and be on their way.. several months later, they come to the unfortunate conclusion that the storm is actually a permanent feature of the Astral Seas in this area. It's a little calmer near the planet itself for some reason, allowing for short teleports around the planet's surface, but if you try to teleport back out into open space it'll tear you apart, and ships won't last very long in it.

Marnath
2010-12-19, 05:33 PM
I'd like to point out that it is a common occurence for a crash to cause fatalities. Maybe the only person on board capable of teleporting died in the crash.