PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimized Trapmaking?

Dralnu
2010-12-17, 03:57 PM
I was reading through Races of the Dragon and noticed that there's a couple ways to make trapmaking more efficient.

A Kobold can take Kobold Paragon 3 to add his class level (+3) as a racial bonus to Craft (Trapmaking) and also cast Create Trap for free CR1 traps. He can also take Extraordinary Trapmaking feat at level 6 to cut down on the price / time of trapmaking by 50%.

Is there any way to be even more optimized than this? I got all sources outside of Dragon Magazine.

Hat-Trick
2010-12-17, 04:04 PM
Combat Trapsmith PrC from CAdv I believe.

Quirp
2010-12-17, 04:05 PM
The Combat Trapsmith is a PrC in Complete Scoundrel that specializes in quickly putting traps together from nothing. It is not too powerful, but a very nice PrC.

Hat-Trick
2010-12-17, 04:08 PM
Scoundrel? It is Scoundrel. My mistake. Trapsmith is from Dungeonscape and is similar, to add more detail.

Tael
2010-12-17, 04:13 PM
Ah, Trapsmith, how I love your first level Haste...

Dralnu
2010-12-17, 05:18 PM
Hmm. Combat Trapsmith looks like the best bet for what I want to accomplish. The dungeonscape one is good too but my focus is on powerful combat traps.

It's a shame that the kobold stuff don't synergize with the PrC though. Extraordinary Trapsmith feels like one of those key feats to a great build.

Hat-Trick
2010-12-17, 05:22 PM
Hey, your buddies will be happy you set up that cure major wounds trap in their base. This is, of course, you find a way to make magic traps with such spells...

Draz74
2010-12-17, 06:34 PM
I'm fond of Psion (shaper) characters with maximum Craft (trapmaking), and Psionic Fabricate.

Goonthegoof
2010-12-17, 07:47 PM
Trapsmith is brilliant, especially given the first level haste mentioned above means you can make an item of permanent haste for 8k.

Irreverent Fool
2010-12-18, 02:44 AM
Hey, your buddies will be happy you set up that cure major wounds trap in their base. This is, of course, you find a way to make magic traps with such spells...

Speaking of making magic traps with spells...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm

Magic device traps are ludicrously easy to create for a spellcaster. An automatic-reset trap of cure light wounds with a Caster Level of 1 costs a mere 500g, less than a wand of the same spell.

Now, they can get spendy pretty quickly, but there are a number of tricks one can use to lessen the cost of magical crafting (Craft Wondrous Item in this case) which will all work with magic traps.

The pricing or mundane traps and the time required is pretty silly by the RAW. A camouflaged pit trap costs 1,800g.

As with most things, if you really want to optimize this in 3.5, spells are the way to go.

Edit: It's pretty easy to justify making a trap of cure light wounds, as inflict light wounds is used as an example trap (useful if you happen to be undead) and the guidelines make no mention of using only harmful spells.

Vizzerdrix
2010-12-18, 04:47 AM
Meh. I tried to price out and make a bear trap for a character once. It got silly expensive fast.

Akal Saris
2010-12-18, 05:08 AM
I'm fond of Psion (shaper) characters with maximum Craft (trapmaking), and Psionic Fabricate.

I like your thinking sir..