PDA

View Full Version : "Short Bald and Cranky"

Prowl
2010-12-17, 04:17 PM
Just thought I'd give a heads up that the image for the baby clothes actually reads "Small, Bald and Cranky" rather than "Short, Bald and Cranky".

Keld Denar
2010-12-17, 06:09 PM
I think this is a play on D&D size catagories. Small is the size between Tiny and Medium, denoted by +1 to hit and AC and a +4 to hide checks.

A human child would generally fall into the Small size catagory.

Zeofar
2010-12-17, 07:53 PM
I think his point is that it's a typo. The clothing says "Small", the description says "Short". It probably is indeed a play on D&D size categories, but to be honest, an infant would probably be Tiny. That wouldn't make sense for Belkar, though, and wouldn't really mesh with the rest of the statement as well as "small" does (And the discrepancy would probably only be noticed by a very nitpicky D&D player).

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-18, 12:58 PM
It probably is indeed a play on D&D size categories, but to be honest, an infant would probably be Tiny.
Small Category starts out at a length or height of 2 ft. Newborns tend to be just under 2 ft. long. And they’ll probably grow fast enough that the short time they are Tiny doesn’t matter much. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2010-12-18, 05:13 PM
And Small also starts at a weight of 8 pounds- which is fairly reasonable for a newborn.

Zeofar
2010-12-18, 05:41 PM
Well, those are indeed some valid points, but I think the main point here is that isn't the point.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-12-18, 08:00 PM
And Small also starts at a weight of 8 pounds- which is fairly reasonable for a newborn.
Well, the weights assume a certain range of body density, similar to that of a human. The defining aspect of size categories is really the outer dimensions. Elementals especially tend to provide exceptions to the typical weight.

But we are talking about human babies anyway. Right?

Well, those are indeed some valid points, but I think the main point here is that isn't the point.
Well, if there is a size category joke going on, it does affect the quality of the joke. :smallwink:

Prowl
2010-12-18, 08:18 PM
I noticed it because the Giant picked it out as a recent favorite. "Short" sounds/flows better than "Small" for this particular piece IMO.

The Giant
2010-12-18, 11:40 PM
The mistake is in the description, the item is fine as it is. Given how time consuming it is to make changes on CafePress items (especially during the holidays when their shopkeeper servers are slower than molasses), I'm not going to bother changing it. Thanks for pointing it out, though.